ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think it doesn’t hurt you that Ayo and Miller left? My goodness Gil really has been resurrected!!!

Of course I’m hoping Cockburn stays in the draft. It takes Illinois from semi relevant to irrelevant.
Ayo Dosumnu is going to get replaced by committee. Curbelo and Frazier will take a step up and proved they are capable in the games he missed last year. I have also seen Austin Hutcherson play. He’s a 6’6 D-lll transfer who can play 1 thru 3 and has at times been better than Ayo in practice. If he is truly healthy, watch out.

I’m not happy Miller transferring but anybody who watched knows brought as much bad as he did good. Clearly he wasn’t happy with his role moving forward as a spot up shooter around Curbelo.

Ayo Dosumnu is going to get replaced by committee. Curbelo and Frazier will take a step up and proved they are capable in the games he missed last year. I have also seen Austin Hutcherson play. He’s a 6’6 D-lll transfer who can play 1 thru 3 and has at times been better than Ayo in practice. If he is truly healthy, watch out.

I’m not happy Miller transferring but anybody who watched knows brought as much bad as he did good. Clearly he wasn’t happy with his role moving forward as a spot up shooter around Curbelo.
You are delusional. 30 year old Trent Frazier is finally going to step up and make up for the loss of an All American.

Division 3 STUD Hutcherson (who?) is going to be better than All American Ayo according to practice reports from the homer Illinois insiders.

Even Gil isn’t this delusional.

“I have also seen Austin Hutcherson play. He’s a 6’6 D-lll transfer who can play 1 thru 3 and has at times been better than Ayo in practice. If he is truly healthy, watch out.”

Gillinois.
Keep hating man. Duncan Robinson did fine with this route. Finding good transfers from other levels is part of the game now. I trust the opinions of the people who have seen these practices.

Keep hating man. Duncan Robinson did fine with this route. Finding good transfers from other levels is part of the game now. I trust the opinions of the people who have seen these practices.

Now you trust the opinion of others (when it’s Illinois practice homers) but not when I linked you 10 different neutral analysts calling Houstan a great to elite shooter.

Gil gonna Gil.

You are delusional. 30 year old Trent Frazier is finally going to step up and make up for the loss of an All American.

Division 3 STUD Hutcherson (who?) is going to be better than All American Ayo according to practice reports from the homer Illinois insiders.

Even Gil isn’t this delusional.
I literally just said the 3 players would make up for the loss by COMMITTEE. Not a tough concept. I’d love to hear which backcourt Duo in the Big Ten is better than Curbelo and Frazier.

Now you trust the opinion of others (when it’s Illinois practice homers) but not when I linked you 10 different neutral analysts calling Houstan a great to elite shooter.

Gil gonna Gil.
I trust what I see with my eyes first, then delegate from there. Sorry this opinion has struck a cord with you.

I literally just said the 3 players would make up for the loss by COMMITTEE. Not a tough concept. I’d love to hear which backcourt Duo in the Big Ten is better than Curbelo and Frazier.

Your slight advantage at guard doesn’t make up for our huge advantage on the wing.

Jaden Ivey/Brandon Newman
Duane Washington/ Malaki Branham
Xavier Johnson/ Tamar Bates
Eric Ayala/ Aaron Wiggins

Now when you get passed Curbelo, Frazier, and Cockburn, who do you have? You have Grandison and Hutcherson as starters. One hasn’t played in 3 years and last played in D3. The other was pretty poor last year. You got a scrub from Florida as well. Who else you have?

Your 3 best wings from last years team won’t be playing next year. Just like Illinois is with Hutcherson, you are also relying on the unknown.

Brandon Johns averaged 10ppg in the tournament as a starter and we add three McDonald’s All Americans on the wing, two being five stars.

Oh shit but you have Hutcherson. My bad.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
Jaden Ivey/Brandon Newman
Duane Washington/ Malaki Branham
Xavier Johnson/ Tamar Bates
Eric Ayala/ Aaron Wiggins

Now when you get passed Curbelo, Frazier, and Cockburn, who do you have? You have Grandison and Hutcherson as starters. One hasn’t played in 3 years and last played in D3. The other was pretty poor last year. You got a scrub from Florida as well. Who else you have?
Somehow Williams and Grandison did fine as low usage, high efficiency guys last year on a team that got a 1 seed. I don’t expect that to change if Kofi is back.

Payne will be a different style than Giorgi, but he won’t be a liability on defense so that’s wash at best. He rated as the top pick and roll big man in college last year btw. Plummer averaged 14 ppg at Utah, not going to pretend I saw him play to give you analysis. And of our freshman I think only one will make the rotation. Best guess to this point would be Brandin Podz out of Wisconsin. We will see on him, played ball against competition that wasn’t very high level to say the least.

Somehow Williams and Grandison did fine as low usage, high efficiency guys last year on a team that got a 1 seed. I don’t expect that to change if Kofi is back.

Payne will be a different style than Giorgi, but he won’t be a liability on defense so that’s wash at best. He rated as the top pick and roll big man in college last year btw. Plummer averaged 14 ppg at Utah, not going to pretend I saw him play to give you analysis. And of our freshman I think only one will make the rotation. Best guess to this point would be Brandin Podz out of Wisconsin. We will see on him, played ball against competition that wasn’t very high level to say the least.

qRNC6-1457728234-2467-list_items-gilligan.jpg

Brandon Johns averaged 10ppg in the tournament as a starter and we add three McDonald’s All Americans on the wing, two being five stars.

Oh shit but you have Hutcherson. My bad.
He’s a power forward. Just like Diabete. And only Houston is considered a consensus five star of the wings. Like I’ve said before one of the freshman guards or Jackson/Williams is going to have to step up as a shot creator. Losing Livers/Wagner/Chaundee/Smith is a lot more than you are making it out to be.

You have 3 good players if Kofi comes back (likely gone). Oh btw, you don’t have any assistant coaches either.

He’s a power forward. Just like Diabete. And only Houston is considered a consensus five star of the wings. Like I’ve said before one of the freshman guards or Jackson/Williams is going to have to step up as a shot creator. Losing Livers/Wagner/Chaundee/Smith is a lot more than you are making it out to be.
Just curious, where do you think you guys finish without Kofi?

We are significantly more talented than Illinois at the 3/4.

Just curious, where do you think you guys finish without Kofi?
I’d have it like this without Kofi.
1.)Michigan
2.)Ohio St
3.)Purdue
4.)Maryland (with Ayala,Wig,Morsell)
5.)Michigan St
6.)Indiana
7.)Illinois
8.) Rutgers
9.)Wisconsin
10.) Iowa
11-14.)Who cares

Reactions: MGC_07
I’d agree, but we are better at the 1,2, and 5.

3>2
All those positions you claim to be better at are toss ups. Dickinson was the best player on a 1 seed and the jump between Freshman and Sophomore wheat tends to be the biggest for big men. I could see Dickinson being better. Brooks is a better offensive player than Frazier but I’ll give Frazier the edge there defensively. And you’re very confident that your PG who can’t shoot the 3 at all will be better than one of the better transfer in CBB.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
All those positions you claim to be better at are toss ups. Dickinson was the best player on a 1 seed and the jump between Freshman and Sophomore wheat tends to be the biggest for big men. I could see Dickinson being better. Brooks is a better offensive player than Frazier but I’ll give Frazier the edge there defensively. And you’re very confident that your PG who can’t shoot the 3 at all will be better than one of the better transfer in CBB.
If Kofi comes back to college he will be one of the 2 most impactful players in college basketball along with Drew Timme.

Dickinson and Kofi are the 10 months apart in age, if both are training hard I would expect both of them to progress at the same-ish rate.

Our point guard couldn’t shot and coaches knew that, yet he could still get to the basket at will. That freshman-sophomore gap you just talked about will also be hit.

Reactions: MGC_07
You doubt that Caleb Houstan, Mousa Diabate, and Brandon Johns have a huge advantage over Grandison and Williams this year?

Fighting Gillini
If Hutcherson is in that group it’ll be much closer than you’d like to believe. We will play 3 guards and he will be our 3 in most lineups like Ayo was last year.

You really think it doesn’t hurt you that Ayo and Miller left? My goodness Gil really has been resurrected!!!

Of course I’m hoping Cockburn stays in the draft. It takes Illinois from semi relevant to irrelevant.

You don’t have to stray into hyperbole to make a point. It quite obviously hurts to lose Ayo and Miller, but Kofi returning would not only make Illinois “semi relevant,” IMO. UI played very impressively in the three games Ayo was out, including two road wins over top 25 teams and an especially impressive blowout win at Michigan.

If Kofi were to return, you’d likely see Illinois in the preseason top 10-15 and competing at the top of the league once again. It can’t be discounted how much better Curbelo got as the year went on, either.

You don’t have to stray into hyperbole to make a point. It quite obviously hurts to lose Ayo and Miller, but Kofi returning would not only make Illinois “semi relevant,” IMO. UI played very impressively in the three games Ayo was out, including two road wins over top 25 teams and an especially impressive blowout win at Michigan.

If Kofi were to return, you’d likely see Illinois in the preseason top 10-15 and competing at the top of the league once again. It can’t be discounted how much better Curbelo got as the year went on, either.

Of all the posts you’ve read here, you call out NC for hyperbole and not Gillinois?

Illinois is borderline top 25 with Kofi back. They are borderline top 50 if he stays in the draft as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT