ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this doesn’t implicitly justify Izzo/MSU by using Swanigan as an example? Appling raped a girl while in school, and Izzo/MSU did nothing and actually coddled him. Now he is wanted for murder. Izzo/MSU should certainly take some blame.
You’d be naive to think Painter didn’t knew anything about Swanigan’s substance abuse issues. Things go both ways.

I lean towards personal accountability, but that’s me.

Appling (potentially) murdered a 66 year old and you are worried about Izzo’s role in his life 10 years prior to that decision?

You’d be naive to think Painter didn’t knew anything about Swanigan’s substance abuse issues. Things go both ways.

I lean towards personal accountability, but that’s me.

Appling (potentially) murdered a 66 year old and you are worried about Izzo’s role in his life 10 years prior to that decision?
Maybe he did after he graduated or Swanigan knew how to trick the drug tests, I don’t know. I do know that Payne is on video essentially saying Appling raped a girl.

edit: And once again substance abuse is a universe away from fcking rape and murder. Maybe it’s because I have a daughter that I am more sensitive to this, but there is NO implicit or explicit comparison.

Last edited:
Maybe he did after he graduated or Swanigan knew how to trick the drug tests, I don’t know. I do know that Payne is on video essentially saying Appling raped a girl.
I think they’re is a lot more grey area in this story than anyone would like to admit. If he was on video saying that at the beginning it wouldn’t have took 5 years for it to make a case and the police would’ve been involved.

It’s more willful ignorance to the situation than some evil act that you are trying to put on Izzo.

K
I think they’re is a lot more grey area in this story than anyone would like to admit. If he was on video saying that at the beginning it wouldn’t have took 5 years for it to make a case and the police would’ve been involved.

It’s more willful ignorance to the situation than some evil act that you are trying to put on Izzo.
Sht…making excuses for rape university is unexpected…

Izzo getting blamed for Applings actions makes as much sense as blaming Painter for Swanigan’s.

Both coaches have 0% of the blame, especially when they haven’t been in the program for almost a decade now. Overall, it’s just a weird hill to die on.
Izzo enabled Appling by valuing wins taking a hard stance and teaching the young man a life lesson. It doesn’t matter that the police didn’t prosecute. Izzo knew what he did to that girl. Payne admitted it on tape.

Izzo enabled Appling by valuing wins taking a hard stance and teaching the young man a life lesson. It doesn’t matter that the police didn’t prosecute. Izzo knew what he did to that girl. Payne admitted it on tape.

Again this isn’t a black and white scenario. If this was a case that was cut and dry why didn’t Appling ever go to prison for it?

In America you are innocent until proven guilty, and it looks like Tom Izzo trusted Appling’s word over Payne’s.

In your hypothetical scenario, when was Izzo supposed to “teach him a life lesson”? Which I assume would be kicking him off the team.
The day after? A month? Or 5 years later when it went to court?

This is all easy to say after the fact. Tom Izzo is a human being that makes tough decisions just like everyone else. It’s clear by Appling’s choices since then that he probably didn’t deserve Izzo’s trust.

Or maybe Izzo and Michigan State along with the court system are all just covering it up for cash and basketball wins like Vulva thinks. But I’m not that cynical.

Again this isn’t a black and white scenario. If this was a case that was cut and dry why didn’t Appling ever go to prison for it?

In America you are innocent until proven guilty, and it looks like Tom Izzo trusted Appling’s word over Payne’s.

In your hypothetical scenario, when was Izzo supposed to “teach him a life lesson”? Which I assume would be kicking him off the team.

This is all easy to say after the fact. Tom Izzo is a human being that makes tough decisions just like everyone else. It’s clear by Appling’s choices since then that he probably didn’t deserve Izzo’s trust.

Or maybe Izzo and Michigan State along with the court system are all just covering it up for cash and basketball wins like Vulva thinks. But I’m not that cynical.
As someone who is pretty familiar with the situation, I think the lack of any criminal charges being brought forward or anything like that is why he didn’t get in trouble.

This whole situation also happened like 3 months before the season started. After 3 months no charges were brought forward so he didn’t get in trouble.

We get it, you’re cool with rape.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
As someone who is pretty familiar with the situation, I think the lack of any criminal charges being brought forward or anything like that is why he didn’t get in trouble.

This whole situation also happened like 3 months before the season started. After 3 months no charges were brought forward so he didn’t get in trouble.
I’m far from believing Tom Izzo is some angel, but it’s getting to conspiracy level shit with some posters.

If there were other players since that had similarities, maybe I’d be hesitant but I can’t even think of a any other MSU basketball player getting in any legal issues

In Payne’s police interview he says that Appling tried to have sex with a girl, the girl said no and tried to leave, but Appling got in between her and the door and insisted. Eventually she did.

Where that falls in between being a huge piece of shit, a lesser degree of sexual assault, and rape is up to interpretation but any single one of those conclusions is worthy of a 1 game suspensions. Coaches have the authority to bench a player if they break curfew so why not in this case?

Izzo had the benefit of an eye witness testimony from another one of his players. Coaches don’t need there to be criminal charges to bench a player for breaking team conduct.

Zavier Simspon was benched last year without criminal charges and I have no problem with it.

The fact that you excuse Appling’s actions that night because there weren’t charges is troubling.

Probably right when he read the police report and/or what Payne witnessed. At the very least, unless his victim and Adrien Payne were both making up stories, Appling was not acting in conduct becoming of a college athlete. In a world where coaches bench players for missing curfew you think it’s absurd to bench Appling for that?

I’m cool with due process.

Things to consider:

1. The district attorney that never took this to court is now himself in prison for sex crimes against women.

2. Coaches bench players without criminal charges or convictions all the time. They have authority over the basketball team and what they consider as appropriate conduct. Apparently he felt Appling’s conduct that night was appropriate.

Last edited:
Do people really believe that the only way a coach should teach a player a lesson for bad actions is if the person is convicted in court?

That concept is wild to me.

Not even Izzo believes that.

No charges filed for former MSU basketball player accused of sexual assault​

Brock Washington was suspended from the team in late January for undisclosed reasons.”​

Michigan St is full of thugs

200.gif

Things to consider:

1. The district attorney that never took this to court is now himself in prison for sex crimes against women.

2. Coaches bench players without criminal charges or convictions all the time. They have authority over the basketball team and what they consider as appropriate conduct. Apparently he felt Appling’s conduct that night was appropriate.

1.)My whole point was that this is a deeper issue than just Izzo. His job isn’t to pick up the slack and teach life lessons if court system isn’t taking it seriously.

2.) He could have done plenty of things in the prior 3 months to discipline him behind the scenes Benching a kid wasn’t exactly a huge deterrent and going to change the course of his life if he’s raping women and not going to jail.

You know the burden of proof is much higher for criminal convictions than civil or student code of conduct voilations, right? You know that guilty people are found innocent or even have charges dropped every damn day, right?
And I’m sure their are innocent people found guilty too. These institutions aren’t perfect, just like the people that run them.

Izzo trusted the kid and was proven wrong after time. Or he knew about it and wanted to win so badly he didn’t care. Guess we will never know.

1.)My whole point was that this is a deeper issue than just Izzo. His job isn’t to pick up the slack and teach life lessons if court system isn’t taking it seriously.

2.) He could have done plenty of things in the prior 3 months to discipline him behind the scenes Benching a kid wasn’t exactly a huge deterrent and going to change the course of his life if he’s raping women and not going to jail.

He kicked Brock Washington off the team despite Washington not having any charges against him.

Reactions: bMORE607
He kicked Brock Washington off the team despite Washington not having any charges against him.
Guess he learned his lesson from Appling’s situation...

But I’m sure you’ll say something along the line of “He didn’t play/was only a walk-on, so it was an easy decision”

It amazes me that people can say Izzo did the right thing in both the Appling and Washington situation. That’s going too far to defend someone and not using logic. Washington was kicked off the team, Appling never sat a minute. Which one did Izzo handle better?

MSU fans and Gillinois: “both! He handled them both perfect!”

Probably right when he read the police report and/or what Payne witnessed. At the very least, unless his victim and Adrien Payne were both making up stories, Appling was not acting in conduct becoming of a college athlete. In a world where coaches bench players for missing curfew you think it’s absurd to bench Appling for that?
I heard Payne is a fvxking liar. Play ball.

• Haha
Reactions: bMORE607
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT