ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
PlayerPPGAPGTRBSTLOrtgDrtg3P%USGWS/40
Eli Brooks
9.5​
3.1​
3.1​
1.1​
118.3​
99​
39.6​
16.2​
0.154​
Trent Frazier
12.5​
3.1​
1.8​
1.7​
102.9​
104.1​
34.7​
26.3​
0.105​
Da'Monte Williams
5.5​
1.7​
5.3​
0.8​
137.8​
95.2​
54.7​
9.2​
0.171​
Frazier net of Brooks
3​
0​
-1.3​
0.6​
-15.4​
5.1​
-4.9​
10.1​
-0.049​
Williams Net of Brooks
-4​
-1.4​
2.2​
-0.3​
19.5​
-3.8​
15.1​
-7​
0.017​

Da'Monte Williams ORtg 137.8 > 118.3 and Drtg 95.2 < 99. He's much more efficient, and you're clearly neglecting that.

Da'Monte was much more efficient, had a higher ORtg, Drtg, WS/40, 3P%, TRB. Try to be objective.
Now use Frazier’s last year like you did with the other two.

Eli Brooks, 5th option on a team with a good offense. Trent Frazier 1st option on a team with a bad offense. You’re not going to railroad me with a zero context stat. Sitting on the wing and shooting open jumpers because the defense prioritizes you behind every other player doesn’t make you better.

The 5th option vs 1st option works both ways. It helps Eli with efficiency and Trent with counting stats. If you list and consider everything it is even.

Trent Frazier:
12.5 ppg
3.1 apg
1.8 rpg
1.7 spg
2.2 topg
34.7% 3pt %
40.5 FG %
102.9 offensive rating
104.1 defensive rating

Eli Brooks:
9.5 ppg
3.1 apg
3.1 rpg
1.1 spg
1.1 topg
39.6% 3pt%
42.6% FG%
118.3 ortg
99.0 drtg

It really blows my mind you think me calling these even stats is being a Michigan homer.

Last edited:
They don’t teach you simple math in engineering school? Since when is 12.5 and 9.5 a 4ppg difference?
You’d rather have a worse player because he “fits” better due to efficiency.

Illinois has a more efficient player as well, now efficiency doesn’t matter and you want the better player.

Pick a lane

The 5th option vs 1st option works both ways. It helps Eli with efficiency and Trent with counting stats. If you list and consider everything it is even.

Trent Frazier:
12.5 ppg
3.1 apg
1.8 rpg
1.7 spg
2.2 topg
34.7% 3pt %
40.5 FG %
102.9 offensive rating
104.1 defensive rating

Eli Brooks:
9.5 ppg
3.1 apg
3.1 rpg
1.1 topg
39.6% 3pt%
42.6% FG%
118.3 ortg
99.0 drtg

It really blows my mind you think me calling these even stats is being a Michigan homer.
I'm fine with that. Frazier was worse. Williams is better. Your logic is flawless. USG doesn't matter because efficiency needs to be taken into account, and Brooks was more efficient as the last option on offense than Frazier was as the first option on offense. Good points.

I'm just glad I can shut the door on the 5th player chosen out of all the players in the Big Ten. Congrats to the hyper-efficient role player Da'Monte Williams who is the best of the role players.

Ayo obviously better but Trent Frazier wasn't because of efficiency. Those 2 rebounds per game must be huge. 😵

PPGAPGTRBSTLOrtgDrtg3P%USGWS/40
Fr Frazier vs Fr Ayo
-1.3​
-0.2​
-2.2​
0.4​
-1.5​
-2.4​
-0.5​
2.1​
0.005​

You’d rather have a worse player because he “fits” better due to efficiency.

Illinois has a more efficient player as well, now efficiency doesn’t matter and you want the better player.

Pick a lane
Williams is not a ball handling guard.

4*, but let's get back to how important efficiency is and why Da'Monte Williams is better than Brooks because of it.
Efficiency is a piece if of the puzzle and should be considered in context with counting stats. The same exact player will probably have better counting stats with word efficiency playing on a bad vs good team.

Brooks isn’t a ball handling guard in comparison to Frazier.

I thought efficiency was all that mattered?

Literally no one said that. We just said it needs to be part of the picture. Which in every other discussion you guys would agree that it should be part of the picture.

Literally no one said that. We just said it needs to be part of the picture. Which in every other discussion you guys would agree that it should be part of the picture.
What are you talking about? We solved this problem. Efficiency is a part of the picture. That's why Da'Monte Williams is the 5th starter.

Personally, I appreciate you helping to sort that out. It was right in front of our faces the entire time.

Ivey can bring the ball up. The lineup is perfect with the most efficient player and best shooter in the conference next to him.
And if they trap Ivey? You are trying really hard here to white Knight for Illinois players and it just isn’t working.

Me: Efficiency needs to be considered when comparing counting stats to paint a better overall picture.

Illinois fans: So you’re saying efficiency is all that matters?

🤦‍♂️

What are you talking about? We solved this problem. Efficiency is a part of the picture. That's why Da'Monte Williams is the 5th starter.

Personally, I appreciate you helping to sort that out. It was right in front of our faces the entire time.

If efficiency was all that mattered, sure. It’s just part of the picture though.

4*, but let's get back to how important efficiency is and why Da'Monte Williams is better than Brooks because of it.
Grady Eifert had the highest kenpom offensive efficiency in the country in 2019 if I am remembering correctly.

Did anyone say he was? He is more than capable of being the secondary ball handler unlike Williams.
Brooks will play very few if any minutes at PG this year.

There is a reason why and it’s because he’s not good at it…

A part of the picture? Lol

Seems vague. But whatever it takes to justify your pick, huh?

Yes, part of the picture. It helps provide context. The same exact player would put up different numbers playing on a good vs bad team.

Frazier put up 3ppg more than Brooks being the first option on a bad team. Brooks was more efficient but shot and scored less playing on a better team. Overall their stats were even.

Brooks will play very few if any minutes at PG this year.

There is a reason why and it’s because he’s not good at it…
Lol what does that have to do with anything? In everyone’s lineups featuring Brooks, Ivey is the PG. Brooks is very capable of being the secondary ball handler. Williams is not.

Yes, part of the picture. It helps provide context. The same exact player would put up different numbers playing on a good vs bad team.

Frazier put up 3ppg more than Brooks being the first option on a bad team. Brooks was more efficient but shot and scored less than playing on a better team.
Trent has also shown he can be the third best player on a very good team as well.

If Brooks is your third best player this year, you won’t be the same level as you were last year imo

Trent has also shown he can be the third best player on a very good team as well.

If Brooks is your third best player this year, you won’t be the same level as you were last year imo

We are just comparing Trent’s freshman year to Brooks’ senior year. They were even. Trent had 3 more ppg and more steals. Brooks had more rebounds, less turnovers, and betting shooting percentages but 3 less points. It’s a coin flip. I don’t get the issue with that.

Frazier put up 3ppg more than Brooks being the first option on a bad team. Brooks was more efficient but shot and scored less than playing on a better team.
We know what context matters to you: efficiency (and other stats that fit shoehorning Brooks into the starting 5).

Here's the net of the net (i.e., the difference between the differences between Williams/Frazier/Brooks)

Williams Net of Brooks
-4​
-1.4​
2.2​
-0.3​
19.5​
-3.8​
15.1​
-7​
0.017​
Frazier net of Brooks
3​
0​
-1.3​
0.6​
-15.4​
5.1​
-4.9​
10.1​
-0.049​
Net of the Net
-1​
-1.4​
0.9​
0.3​
4.1​
1.3​
10.2​
3.1​
-0.032​

The separation between Williams and Brooks and Brooks and Frazier is nearly identical in some regards. Looks like the gap between Williams and Brooks is pretty big when you look at the efficiency though. 10% advantage to Williams when compared to how far apart Frazier and Brooks are in 3p%, and 4 point bigger separation in efficiency. Wow.

How did we overlook Da'Monte Williams for so long?

We know what context matters to you: efficiency (and other stats that fit shoehorning Brooks into the starting 5).

Here's the net of the net (i.e., the difference between the differences between Williams/Frazier/Brooks)

Williams Net of Brooks
-4​
-1.4​
2.2​
-0.3​
19.5​
-3.8​
15.1​
-7​
0.017​
Frazier net of Brooks
3​
0​
-1.3​
0.6​
-15.4​
5.1​
-4.9​
10.1​
-0.049​
Net of the Net
-1​
-1.4​
0.9​
0.3​
4.1​
1.3​
10.2​
3.1​
-0.032​

The separation between Williams and Brooks and Brooks and Frazier is nearly identical in some regards. Looks like the gap between Williams and Brooks is pretty big when you look at the efficiency though. 10% advantage to Williams when compared to how far apart Frazier and Brooks are in 3p%, and 4 point bigger separation in efficiency. Wow.

How did we overlook Da'Monte Williams for so long?

You’re just being pig level weird at this point

Unanimous selection you say? How could that be? Have you seen Ivey's % from three? Inefficient chucker imo.

I think those selections are a nice illustration of a clear “Tier 1” for the Big Ten, comprised of the three teams who had multiple players. Anything can happen, of course, but I’d say Illinois, Michigan and Purdue have materially more horsepower on paper than the next tier. I expect a very fun season.

We are just comparing Trent’s freshman year to Brooks’ senior year. They were even. Trent had 3 more ppg and more steals. Brooks had more rebounds, less turnovers, and betting shooting percentages but 3 less points. It’s a coin flip. I don’t get the issue with that.
Lol this is about hypothetical teams you’d make this year.

It’s okay that you’ve dug yourself into the Brooks> Frazier.

It’s just not a good take

I think those selections are a nice illustration of a clear “Tier 1” for the Big Ten, comprised of the three teams who had multiple players. Anything can happen, of course, but I’d say Illinois, Michigan and Purdue have materially more horsepower on paper than the next tier. I expect a very fun season.
OSU is going to be a force. The more I think about their team, the more I think they'll be 4th or better.

They're fairly even really. The only difference is that Frazier is more dynamic, but he's struggled to fill the sidekick role as well as Brooks has recently. Frazier has more top end, but Brooks was more consistent last year.

Huh? You joined the conversation late and missed it. We were talking about how often freshmen come in and outperform what Eli did last season because we were discussing McGowens. Jay listed Ayo, Frazier, and Curbelo’s freshman years. I said Frazier’s freshman year and Eli’s senior year were even.

They're fairly even really. The only difference is that Frazier is more dynamic, but he's struggled to fill the sidekick role as well as Brooks has recently. Frazier has more top end, but Brooks was more consistent last year.

Jesus dude

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or truly believe Frazier’s freshman year was superior to Eli’s senior year.
I think it's a stupid comparison because Frazier's role was drastically different. Brooks would've looked like shit on that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT