ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah the karlaftis bet is truly perplexing.

Like Ivey could get hurt or something random could just happen in a league this deep with strong talent, but Karlaftis would have to quit football or become legit maimed to not be drafted in the first round.

Maybe he just wants to quit the board :shrugs:
I fully plan on losing at least one of these. I’m going to take as many Purdue fans with me as possible though.

4. vs @pig1960
Pig bet that Purdue would be the outright Big Ten champion AND Ivey would be 1st team All Big Ten.
Stakes: I pay him $100 if he is right. He is banned from this board if he is wrong.
Considering that from a monetary pespective being banned is worthless, it seems appropriate that he would have to take the longer odds of this parlay to get actual cash.

yeah the karlaftis bet is truly perplexing.

Like Ivey could get hurt or something random could just happen in a league this deep with strong talent, but Karlaftis would have to quit football or become legit maimed to not be drafted in the first round.

Maybe he just wants to quit the board :shrugs:

Did you miss his posts about how Karlaftis doesn’t make a big impact? Lol those were classic Trojan.

Did you miss his posts about how Karlaftis doesn’t make a big impact? Lol those were classic Trojan.
I skim over most posts in this thread these days.

I get he’s combative about takes a decent amount of time, but piling on anyone doesn’t really vibe with me. I certainly don’t revel in it, as some others in this thread clearly do.

And it’s not because he’s an IU fan, I don’t agree with most of his takes. I think he sees things rationally right up until the conclusion of the take and then just takes an extreme position that he wants to be true whether it’s based in reality or not. I think it’s largely harmless, but like I said he does get combative so that’s going to open you up to criticism. I just don’t know what telling someone they’re an idiot and brain dead for 100 pages accomplishes.

Maybe that makes me a pussy, I don’t really care

I skim over most posts in this thread these days.

I get he’s combative about takes a decent amount of time, but piling on anyone doesn’t really vibe with me. I certainly don’t revel in it, as some others in this thread clearly do.

And it’s not because he’s an IU fan, I don’t agree with most of his takes. I think he sees things rationally right up until the conclusion of the take and then just takes an extreme position that he wants to be true whether it’s based in reality or not. I think it’s largely harmless, but like I said he does get combative so that’s going to open you up to criticism. I just don’t know what telling someone they’re an idiot and brain dead for 100 pages accomplishes.

Maybe that makes me a pussy, I don’t really care
I can tell you for a fact it accomplished nothing.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Other than my bets with @NC_Trojan and @hailtoyourvictor the only ones I know for sure are the Maryland posters.

@bMORE607 and @Noahtogo24 had the same one, but I forgot the exact bet. Illinois would finish above Maryland in conference(?)

Also think there was one with @RichardMassive or another Michigan poster. Think it was that Illinois wouldn’t finish top 3 in conference.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Since we have two weeks till we finally get to see our teams on the court, what will your team’s rotation be?

IU
Starters:
1. Xavier Johnson
2. Tamar Bates
3. Miller Kopp
4. Race Thompson
5. TJD

Bench:
6. Geronimo
7. Stewart
8. Phinisee
9. Durr
10. Leal

Reactions: 1016CC0503
Other than my bets with @NC_Trojan and @hailtoyourvictor the only ones I know for sure are the Maryland posters.

@bMORE607 and @Noahtogo24 had the same one, but I forgot the exact bet. Illinois would finish above Maryland in conference(?)

Also think there was one with @RichardMassive or another Michigan poster. Think it was that Illinois wouldn’t finish top 3 in conference.
It was an avatar bet. Think a month

Since we have two weeks till we finally get to see our teams on the court, what will your team’s rotation be?

IU
Starters:
1. Xavier Johnson
2. Tamar Bates
3. Miller Kopp
4. Race Thompson
5. TJD

Bench:
6. Geronimo
7. Stewart
8. Phinisee
9. Durr
10. Leal

1. Davante Jones
2. Eli Brooks
3. Caleb Houstan
4. Brandon Johns
5. Hunter Dickinson

6. Mousa Diabate
7. Kobe Bufkin
8. Terrance Williams
9. Frankie Collins

10. Zeb Jackson
11. Will Tschetter

12. Isaiah Barnes
13. Jace Howard

1.Andre Curbelo
2.Trent Frazier
3.Da’monte Williams
4.Jacob Grandison
5.Kofi Cockburn

6.Austin Hutcherson(start by conf)
7.Alfonso Plummer
8.Omar Payne
9.Coleman Hawkins
10.One of the freshmen most likely

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Starters by the end of the year (probably, we’re tough to project)

1. Tyson Walker
2. Max Christie
3. Gabe Brown
4. Malik Hall
5. Marcus Bingham

Our bench 4
AJ Hoggard
Jaden Akins
Joey Hauser
Julius Marble

End of the rotation guys
Pierre Brooks
Mady Sissoko

1) Eric Hunter
2) Jaden Ivey
3) Sasha Stefanovic or Brandon Newman
4) Caleb Furst or Trey Kaufman-Renn (Mason Gillis is suspended the first 4 games)
5) Trevion Williams

6) Zach Edey
7) Brandon Newman or Sasha Stefanovic
8) TKR or Caleb Furst
9) Isaiah Thompson or Ethan Morton
10) Mason Gillis

several questions still. Don’t think Purdue can play 11 so one guard and maybe one 4 will end up out of the rotation. I think Sasha starts early but Newman might take the job eventually. No idea how the 4 shakes out.

Adrian Nunez wins the three point contest. Only he and Caleb Houstan competed for the guys. Houstan went cold for a stretch and lost to someone on the woman’s team.

1) Eric Hunter
2) Jaden Ivey
3) Sasha Stefanovic or Brandon Newman
4) Caleb Furst or Trey Kaufman-Renn (Mason Gillis is suspended the first 4 games)
5) Trevion Williams

6) Zach Edey
7) Brandon Newman or Sasha Stefanovic
8) TKR or Caleb Furst
9) Isaiah Thompson or Ethan Morton
10) Mason Gillis

several questions still. Don’t think Purdue can play 11 so one guard and maybe one 4 will end up out of the rotation. I think Sasha starts early but Newman might take the job eventually. No idea how the 4 shakes out.
Feel like your best line-ups will be with Ivey-Sasha-Newman in the backcourt.

Hunter has been underwhelming any time I’ve watched Purdue play.

1. Tyson Walker
2. Max Christie
3. Gabe Brown
4. Malik Hall
5. Marcus Bingham

Our bench 4
AJ Hoggard
Jaden Akins
Joey Hauser
Julius Marble

End of the rotation guys
Pierre Brooks
Mady Sissoko
Defensively your starting five will be good, but offensively it may struggle at times.

I’m surprised Brooks isn’t in your 10 deep, unless Hall will play half his minutes at SF.

1. Tyson Walker
2. Max Christie
3. Gabe Brown
4. Malik Hall
5. Marcus Bingham

Our bench 4
AJ Hoggard
Jaden Akins
Joey Hauser
Julius Marble

End of the rotation guys
Pierre Brooks
Mady Sissoko

Y’all had Sissoko and Dickinson even 😂

Feel like your best line-ups will be with Ivey-Sasha-Newman in the backcourt.

Hunter has been underwhelming any time I’ve watched Purdue play.
Hunter will be 1st team all defense in the B1G and shot 36% from three as a soph. He was hurt last year and never got into a rhythm. I expect a bounceback year from him.

But there will definitely be times when Ivey/Sasha/Newman is the lineup that clicks. I'm just hesitant to ask Ivey to bring the ball up. Don't want to wear him out.

Hunter will be 1st team all defense in the B1G and shot 36% from three as a soph. He was hurt last year and never got into a rhythm. I expect a bounceback year from him.
I was told it wasn’t possible to have a bounce back year from 3….

Not sure I'd count on it to be one of our top 3P marksmen but bouncing back to 35% is doable since he's our 4th or 5th option.
I think it’s definitely doable. Personally, I would rather have Newman in that lineup. Newman provides another proven 3pt threat alongside Ivey, Furst/Kaufman, and Williams.

I think it’s definitely doable. Personally, I would rather have Newman in that lineup. Newman provides another proven 3pt threat alongside Ivey, Furst/Kaufman, and Williams.
Painter has talked this offseason about the lineups might be dictated by who fits best together. If the backup are Isaiah Thompson or Ethan Morton at the point, Painter might want Newman in there with them to ease the defensive issues. Sasha can be better hidden with Hunter and Ivey.

Painter has talked this offseason about the lineups might be dictated by who fits best together. If the backup are Isaiah Thompson or Ethan Morton at the point, Painter might want Newman in there with them to ease the defensive issues. Sasha can be better hidden with Hunter and Ivey.

Would be nice to have a relaxing NCSOS to experiment with lineups!

But there will definitely be times when Ivey/Sasha/Newman is the lineup that clicks. I'm just hesitant to ask Ivey to bring the ball up. Don't want to wear him out.
Wasn’t aware he was hurt. He should perform better this year if that’s the case.

I guess personally, I’d rather start that lineup and come out firing early. Then bring Hunter in and slide Ivey to the 2 as he starts to get a bit tired. But that probably has to do with how comfortable Painter is with Ivey at point.

If you are talking about defense in the 2nd lineup, wouldn’t it make more sense to have Hunter there as he is the better defender?

I just think it’s asking for trouble to send out 4 guys that struggle to shoot from 3. Trust me, IU fans have watched it for the last 4 years.

So how does everyone's non-conference schedule look?

Purdue's should be a nice challenge.

#19 North Carolina in the Tipoff Classic (neutral)
#4 Nova or #18 Tennessee in the Tipoff Classic (neutral)
#20 FSU in the B1G/ACC Challenge (home)
KenPom #55 Butler in Indy (neutral)
KenPom #56 NC State in the Hall of Fame invite in Brooklyn (Neutral)

Beyond that, it's the usual filler. I do wish former Purdue player (and Teen Wolf clone) Carson Cunningham would either make Incarnate Word better or move on. I hate having a team that bad on the schedule. Having them, Austin Peay and Nebraska Omaha on the schedule will bring our SOS down unnecessarily.
Pretty weak, and definitely weaker than it would usually seem to be in most “average” years. In other words, I’m excited for a lot of the games, but they’re not impressive from a SOS point of view.

We get some decent “names” that are usually better than they are right now like Kansas State, Notre Dame, Missouri and especially Arizona … but our only ranked opponent (assuming we can win vs. KSU) would be Arkansas, although I could see Arizona sneaking in there by December. Going to the Arizona game for my birthday with the family, and I think my fiancé and I are going to finally try to attend the Braggin’ Rights Game in STL. Always been a bucket list item for me.

Defensively your starting five will be good, but offensively it may struggle at times.

I’m surprised Brooks isn’t in your 10 deep, unless Hall will play half his minutes at SF.
I think the offense will be better than last year. Better spacing.

We’re high on Brooks, he’s a better shooter than expected, but apparently defensively he’s not where we want him at yet and that’s what’s holding him back. He needs to drop some baby fat. He did join the team like a month late. When he can start playing defense at that level he’s in the rotation. He’s a very strong wing who’s also a good shooter.

If you are talking about defense in the 2nd lineup, wouldn’t it make more sense to have Hunter there as he is the better defender?

I just think it’s asking for trouble to send out 4 guys that struggle to shoot from 3. Trust me, IU fans have watched it for the last 4 years.
I don't think we will have 4 guys that struggle to shoot from three.

1.Andre Curbelo
2.Trent Frazier
3.Da’monte Williams
4.Jacob Grandison
5.Kofi Cockburn

6.Austin Hutcherson(start by conf)
7.Alfonso Plummer
8.Omar Payne
9.Coleman Hawkins
10.One of the freshmen most likely
I hope Hawkins can push Grandison to the 3.

I don't think we will have 4 guys that struggle to shoot from three.
It’s fine to think that, but two of your guards have struggled from 3, Williams definitely is not a threat, and it’s unlikely Furst or Kaufman will be good from beyond the arc this year.

Confirmed on my bet. I post at near 1:1000 ratio compared to the “regulars” anyway. No big deal if I get banned. Just means I can’t weigh in on heavy topics like who’s better- Moe or Curly.Biggest loss for me? Laughing at IU. I get enough of that outside this thread. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT