ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. It was still a good example. That win would have gotten you closer to making the tournament 2 years ago than the loss.
That Purdue team wasn’t very good though. But the young guys on the team (that are still here) got the experience of playing a tougher team. Idk I just don’t get excited at the prospect of squeezing into the tournament as a mediocre team and getting bounced early. I’d rather just play the best teams & if you don’t stack up then so be it.

That Purdue team wasn’t very good though. But the young guys on the team (that are still here) got the experience of playing a tougher team. Idk I just don’t get excited at the prospect of squeezing into the tournament as a mediocre team and getting bounced early. I’d rather just play the best teams & if you don’t stack up then so be it.
Those younger guys still get experience against good teams in the Big Ten/ACC challenge and Gavitt Games. Not to mention playing in the toughest conference in the country.

Those younger guys still get experience against good teams in the Big Ten/ACC challenge and Gavitt Games. Not to mention playing in the toughest conference in the country.
But what about a year where it’s not perceived as the toughest conference in the country? & again, the more of those type of games you can get for your team, the better IMO. Even if you don’t think your team will be on the upper echelon.

But what about a year where it’s not perceived as the toughest conference in the country? & again, the more of those type of games you can get for your team, the better IMO. Even if you don’t think your team will be on the upper echelon.
Then you get in on W/L. Weaker conference means more wins for the average to good teams.

Regardless, with an unproven team and new coach, I’m good with a softer schedule. When IU has a good team, I’m fine with a tougher schedule.

Then you get in on W/L. Weaker conference means more wins for the average to good teams.

Regardless, with an unproven team and new coach, I’m good with a softer schedule. When IU has a good team, I’m fine with a tougher schedule.
That’s fine. We just would have different philosophies then, which even coaches do.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Because I’m glad Purdue had that experience of playing a tougher team in Texas than some cupcake. If your team is solely relying on pure W/L record to make the tournament, chances are they aren’t going to do shit in the tournament anyway.

Michigan played for two national titles this decade with NCSOS ranked 257 and 301. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. We’ve been the #1 or #2 most successful team in the Big Ten this decade and I’m not sure we’ve had a top 100 NCSOS in that span.

We are on a run of 4 straight Sweet 16s and our NCSOS in that span looks like:

I’m not saying playing a bad non conference slate is a good thing. It just isn’t as big of a deal as people think.

Michigan played for two national titles this decade with NCSOS ranked 257 and 301. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. We’ve been the #1 or #2 most successful team in the Big Ten this decade and I’m not sure we’ve had a top 100 NCSOS in that span.

We are on a run of 4 straight Sweet 16s and our NCSOS in that span looks like:

I’m not saying playing a bad non conference slate is a good thing. It just isn’t as big of a deal as people think.
Never said it was a necessity. I just don’t see a downside to playing a tough non-con especially if your aspirations are to make the sweet 16 & beyond.

There’s benefits to both ideas. Stronger SOS means more opportunity for big wins. Good experience for rotation players. Weaker SOS means better W/L and more minutes for young players who could be pivotal come Big Ten play and the postseason.

Never said it was a necessity. I just don’t see a downside to playing a tough non-con especially if your aspirations are to make the sweet 16 & beyond.

If there was no benefit to playing a weak NCSOS then Beilein wouldn’t have had such bad schedules.

Playing “cupcakes” allows coaches to test out different rotations, get young players more minutes, and still walk away with a win. The downside of playing a loaded NCSOS is the inverse of that.

On the flip side playing a loaded schedule gets you good tournament level experience for your rotation.

Neither is “right” or “wrong”.

If there was no benefit to playing a weak NCSOS then Beilein wouldn’t have had such bad schedules.

Playing “cupcakes” allows coaches to test our different rotations, get young players more minutes, and still walk away with a win. The downside of playing a loaded NCSOS is the inverse of that.

On the flip side playing a loaded schedule gets you good tournament level experience for your rotation.

Neither is “right” or “wrong”.
The testing rotations part is a good point but even the toughest non schedules still gives you plenty of games for that. Agreed there is no right or wrong though, just expressing my POV.

The testing rotations part is a good point but even the toughest non schedules still gives you plenty of games for that. Agreed there is no right or wrong though, just expressing my POV.

Undeniably more opportunity to get freshmen/depth players minutes and up to speed playing a weaker NCSOS though.

Again, if there was no benefit to it then Beilein wouldn’t have had multiple years with a sub 300 NCSOS. He knew what he was doing.

We already agree on the trade offs. But this discussion is stemming from everyone acting like playing. A tough NCSOS as the key to success.

Yeah their metrics are going to look largely fine, but there’s still a line there somewhere. A team that wins 8 or 9 games in the big ten probably has to worry about their non con schedule at least a bit. You could definitely say a team that wins that few games in conference doesn’t deserve to make the tourney anyways, but with the strength and depth of the conference, you’re going to have teams that fit that criteria as fringe tourney teams
This is all I'm saying.

Really just went through Purdue’s schedule for the first time. The February 5th-feb 13th stretch with 3 straight home games vs Michigan, Illinois, & Maryland should be epic.

Really just went through Purdue’s schedule for the first time. The February 5th-feb 13th stretch with 3 straight home games vs Michigan, Illinois, & Maryland should be epic.

Michigan has two home game weeks. We are trying to decide which one to take a week off and go to Michigan for. Purdue and MSU or Rutgers and Illinois. Never been to Crisler. I think we are gonna go to the Illinois week.

Because more often than not, you are gonna get plenty challenge in conference play. Even in a "down" B10, its still a tough ass conference. So why play a Kansas, Duke, Nova, etc, etc.....? If your aspirations are getting to a SW 16, and beyond, wins= high seed= easier path to a SW 16. Now I'm saying you go out a play a bunch of 200+ teams. BUT.....play some upper echelon mid-major teams---teams expected to win/compete for their conference titles; like MVC, OVC, A-10, sort of teams. Mix in a game, maybe two vs a Kansas, Nova, type of team(s). Then get those automatic wins, i.e. North Texas, E.Illinois, etc, etc...Not to mention there's the ACC/Big 10 game. Get to 13/14 wins in the Big 10, and you're probably looking at a 3/4 seed....

In a year like this year, you'd be nuts to play some craxy, tough OOC schedule. Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State and Marylnad are all preseason Top 25; With MSU and Indiana just outside the Top 25---MSU 26th/IU 27th. With Purdue/Michigan in the Top 10, and Illinois just outside the Top10, at #11.

SOS is a factor----But THE factor is wins. You rack up some losses to Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, etc, etc....then lose 5-6-7 games in a tough B10, and your not getting a high seed with 8, 9 or 10 losses.

Its all about the seed. Its why you rarely see Top tier teams go on the road, vs quality, OCC teams.

IU really caught a break with their B10 schedule...Toughest stretch seems to be Feb 12-24th: @ MSU, vs Wisky, @ OSU, vs Maryland.....Jan 20- Feb 5th, we do play Purdue(home),MIchigan(home), PSU(home), MD(road), Illinois(home). Three top contenders, but all are at home.

Very favorable B10 schedule, for sure.

Reactions: otte21
If I was IU, I'd still want a marquee opponent especially in Assembly if possible. You guys have always had the ability to beat just about anyone [not named Purdue] in Bloomington.

For Purdue's sake, I'm happy with tough non-cons for the reasons I've mentioned. Absolutely love the top end teams we get this year.
You should tell Thad Matta, I'm sure he never thought about that.

If I was IU, I'd still want a marquee opponent especially in Assembly if possible. You guys have always had the ability to beat just about anyone [not named Purdue] in Bloomington.

For Purdue's sake, I'm happy with tough non-cons for the reasons I've mentioned. Absolutely love the top end teams we get this year.

From a viewing perspective I’d love seeing Michigan play too 5 teams every game. But playing average to bad NCSOS has been just fine for us and we still end up with a top 20 overall SOS every year.

Michigan has two home game weeks. We are trying to decide which one to take a week off and go to Michigan for. Purdue and MSU or Rutgers and Illinois. Never been to Crisler. I think we are gonna go to the Illinois week.
You’ve never been to a Michigan home game!? That’s ****in nuts. But I would obviously recommend the Purdue & MSU week. Hell, I may be there. I’ve been trying to go to a new big ten arena each year.

Because more often than not, you are gonna get plenty challenge in conference play. Even in a "down" B10, its still a tough ass conference. So why play a Kansas, Duke, Nova, etc, etc.....? If your aspirations are getting to a SW 16, and beyond, wins= high seed= easier path to a SW 16. Now I'm saying you go out a play a bunch of 200+ teams. BUT.....play some upper echelon mid-major teams---teams expected to win/compete for their conference titles; like MVC, OVC, A-10, sort of teams. Mix in a game, maybe two vs a Kansas, Nova, type of team(s). Then get those automatic wins, i.e. North Texas, E.Illinois, etc, etc...Not to mention there's the ACC/Big 10 game. Get to 13/14 wins in the Big 10, and you're probably looking at a 3/4 seed....

In a year like this year, you'd be nuts to play some craxy, tough OOC schedule. Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State and Marylnad are all preseason Top 25; With MSU and Indiana just outside the Top 25---MSU 26th/IU 27th. With Purdue/Michigan in the Top 10, and Illinois just outside the Top10, at #11.

SOS is a factor----But THE factor is wins. You rack up some losses to Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, etc, etc....then lose 5-6-7 games in a tough B10, and your not getting a high seed with 8, 9 or 10 losses.

Its all about the seed. Its why you rarely see Top tier teams go on the road, vs quality, OCC teams.
Playing teams that would be expected to win their conference in those mid-major conferences would be a plus in SOS IMO. It’s the ones that are expected to finish 7th in the sun belt that don’t mean shit. I’ll always be on the side of “play a tough non-con, regardless of team talent” though. I love when Purdue football plays the Notre dames of the world in college football. Not going to the playoff regardless so might as well make competition as hard as possible & see where you stack up.

So how does everyone's non-conference schedule look?

Purdue's should be a nice challenge.

#19 North Carolina in the Tipoff Classic (neutral)
#4 Nova or #18 Tennessee in the Tipoff Classic (neutral)
#20 FSU in the B1G/ACC Challenge (home)
KenPom #55 Butler in Indy (neutral)
KenPom #56 NC State in the Hall of Fame invite in Brooklyn (Neutral)

Beyond that, it's the usual filler. I do wish former Purdue player (and Teen Wolf clone) Carson Cunningham would either make Incarnate Word better or move on. I hate having a team that bad on the schedule. Having them, Austin Peay and Nebraska Omaha on the schedule will bring our SOS down unnecessarily.

@ Xavier
Seton Hall in Florida
Florida/Cal in Florida
Duke
Kentucky in Champions classic

If it ends up being Florida, that’s (5) Top 50 KenPom matchups.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerzz
The great Archie Miller has spoken and he has Michigan 7th in his b1g power rankings. He must be a closet Illinois fan.

I had a feeling it was going to be on the B1G podcast. He’s legit rėtarded if he thinks UM is finishing 7th in the B1G.
miller.gif

My bets this season:
1. vs Gillinois
Caleb Houstan 36% from three or better I win.
Caleb Houstan 35% from three or worse I lose.
35.1-35.9% is a push.
Stakes: avatar bet for 1,000 posts.

2. vs Gillinois
Higher NCAA tournament seed. Michigan, I win. Illinois, I lose.
Stakes: avatar bet for an additional of cancelled 1,000 posts.

3. vs JayCG
If Michigan wins conference, I win. If Illinois wins conference, I lose. If both or neither win, push and cancel.
Stakes: $100 to St. Judes

Reactions: 1016CC0503
My bets this season:
1. vs Gillinois
35.1-35.9% is a push.

2. vs Gillinois

3. vs JayCG
If Michigan wins conference, I win. If Illinois wins conference, I lose. If both or neither win, push and cancel.
Need to do a post like this.

I’ve made too many to remember at this point.

My bets this season:
1. vs Gillinois
35.1-35.9% is a push.

2. vs Gillinois

3. vs JayCG
There’s like 8 of us in that last bet right?

Reactions: RutgHoops
My bets this season:
1. vs Gillinois
35.1-35.9% is a push.

2. vs Gillinois

3. vs JayCG
1. Vs Gillinois
Illinois isn’t top 15 in the final AP poll.
Stakes: avatar bet for 1 month

2. vs @B-Westy
Jaden Ivey isn’t on either Big Ten Coaches or Media 1st team All-Big 10
Stakes: loser is banned from this board

3. vs @CardinalBoiler
Karlaftis is not taken in the 1st round of the 2022 NFL draft

4. vs @pig1960
Pig bet that Purdue would be the outright Big Ten champion AND Ivey would be 1st team All Big Ten.
Stakes: I pay him $100 if he is right. He is banned from this board if he is wrong.

5. vs Everyone
I bet IU will win the Big Ten
Stakes: I pay $100 to St Judes if they win it or even if/when they don’t.

1. Vs Gillinois
Illinois isn’t top 15 in the final AP poll.
Stakes: avatar bet for 1 month

2. vs @B-Westy
Jaden Ivey isn’t on either Big Ten Coaches or Media 1st team All-Big 10

3. vs @CardinalBoiler
Karlaftis is not taken in the 1st round of the 2022 NFL draft

4. vs @pig1960
Pig bet that Purdue would be the outright Big Ten champion AND Ivey would be 1st team All Big Ten.
Stakes: I pay him $100 if he is right. He is banned from this board if he is wrong.

5. vs Everyone
I bet IU will win the Big Ten
Stakes: I pay $100 to St Judes if they win it or even if/when they don’t.
You’re gone bro lol.

You’re gone bro lol.
yeah the karlaftis bet is truly perplexing.

Like Ivey could get hurt or something random could just happen in a league this deep with strong talent, but Karlaftis would have to quit football or become legit maimed to not be drafted in the first round.

Maybe he just wants to quit the board :shrugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT