ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

If we don't get Brooks we will still have Hunter, Anderson, and Smith.(likely for the next few years)

Trayce gives us a big guy around 6"10 that is athletic, can protect the rim, rebound, is skilled on the low block, has a little bit of a mid range, and fits Archie's system to a T. We have nobody else like him and none in the pipeline. Landing him would make our immediate future instantly better. He's an absolute stud.

I think he's IU's to lose as well but Trayce and Keion having MSU on both their lists is a bit worrisome. I'm sick and tired of Izzo stealing our f*cking players.

That is why Michigan State feels good with Keion Brooks in my opinion. Those days should be over and these two recruitment will hopefully show that.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I don't know much about them other than they are highly rated. Would their skillsets mesh well for being on the court at the same time?
I've heard rumors that Keion wants to play the 2 guard position at 6"8, although right now I think he would be better as a 3 in college. He can shoot from the outside, is agile, and has a decent handle for his size so that would seem to fit well with Trayce's inside game.

My only problem with Keion is, when I've watched him he seems to go through lapses where he gets more complacent and less aggressive. Like he almost takes quarters off, and doesn't seem to make his teammates better at times. It's the main reason he hasn't been able to take his teams too far in the state tourney, well that and I think his coaches have been relatively mediocre.

He's obviously really talented, I just think he's more of just an elite complimentary piece on a great team, rather than a guy who can lead a team to a great season. That being said maybe it's just the coaching and he will blossom as a leader once he gets to college, I don't know. Obviously I'd love to have him.

I've heard rumors that Keion wants to play the 2 guard position at 6"8, although right now I think he would be better as a 3 in college.

He measured in at 6' 6.5" (in shoes) at the Team USA minicamp. Not that it matters that much, but more inline with an ideal SG size.

Reactions: MGC_07
I've heard rumors that Keion wants to play the 2 guard position at 6"8, although right now I think he would be better as a 3 in college. He can shoot from the outside, is agile, and has a decent handle for his size so that would seem to fit well with Trayce's inside game.

My only problem with Keion is, when I've watched him he seems to go through lapses where he gets more complacent and less aggressive. Like he almost takes quarters off, and doesn't seem to make his teammates better at times. It's the main reason he hasn't been able to take his teams too far in the state tourney, well that and I think his coaches have been relatively mediocre.

He's obviously really talented, I just think he's more of just an elite complimentary piece on a great team, rather than a guy who can lead a team to a great season. That being said maybe it's just the coaching and he will blossom as a leader once he gets to college, I don't know. Obviously I'd love to have him.

He is being told he will be a "guard", because recruiting, but he is really a 3-4. TJD is being told he is a 4 but will play the 5 in every system because again recruiting. TJD needs to improve greatly away from the basket.

The same way TJD is perfect for Archie's system I feel the same way about Keion. People hated Crean for this but it really is "postionless" basketball

First off which one is it? Second, Its just a weird time to make that statement, no in home, no unofficial visit, right before his official to UK.
Which one is it? I didn’t contradict myself. I said WOTS in Northern Indiana is that MSU has the lead in this one, but most insiders believe it’s IU.

He is being told he will be a "guard", because recruiting, but he is really a 3-4. TJD is being told he is a 4 but will play the 5 in every system because again recruiting. TJD needs to improve greatly away from the basket.

The same way TJD is perfect for Archie's system I feel the same way about Keion. People hated Crean for this but it really is "postionless" basketball
you put Hunter, Brooks, and TJD at the 3/4/5 and you have a lot of length and athleticism. that would be a scary bunch. Definitely agree that TJD is the higher priority for IU considering need. I've always thought he reminds me a bit of Brice Johnson from UNC a couple years back and feel that he has that kind of ceiling.

I am fine with Brooks wanting to play the 2, but guys like him need to start with less responsibility, build their skillsets, and then transition to those roles. Guys like Josh Jackson and Jayson Tatum (among others) essentially did that -- played more of a stretch/mobile 4 in college and moved to the 2/3 in the pros. Not saying Brooks is that good, but he does have immense talent...though I agree with SIHoosier that he can blend in a bit considering his talent.

you put Hunter, Brooks, and TJD at the 3/4/5 and you have a lot of length and athleticism. that would be a scary bunch. Definitely agree that TJD is the higher priority for IU considering need. I've always thought he reminds me a bit of Brice Johnson from UNC a couple years back and feel that he has that kind of ceiling.

I am fine with Brooks wanting to play the 2, but guys like him need to start with less responsibility, build their skillsets, and then transition to those roles. Guys like Josh Jackson and Jayson Tatum (among others) essentially did that -- played more of a stretch/mobile 4 in college and moved to the 2/3 in the pros. Not saying Brooks is that good, but he does have immense talent...though I agree with SIHoosier that he can blend in a bit considering his talent.

I think you are seeing Archie do this exact think with Hunter. He is doing some drill work with the guards but for this year he is going to play that forward role behind Smith. He could eventually get to be more of a guard but it isn't happening this year.

He measured in at 6' 6.5" (in shoes) at the Team USA minicamp. Not that it matters that much, but more inline with an ideal SG size.
Oh okay he looked in person like he was a bit over 6"7. He was about 2 inches taller than Romeo. Nonetheless, his size and skillset seems to fit a bit better at the 3, but like Klize said it might just be a recruiting tactic.

Loved when Kansas had Jackson, played him at the 2-4.
Awesome to have a player of that caliber playing all over the court each game.
He was a cheap-foul seeking missile, but he was funtastic.

Reactions: klize17
I think you are seeing Archie do this exact think with Hunter. He is doing some drill work with the guards but for this year he is going to play that forward role behind Smith. He could eventually get to be more of a guard but it isn't happening this year.
that makes sense -- Vince and Hummel primarily worked with the guards while primarily playing the 4. I think defending guards and handling the ball in a half court setting is normally a difficult transition for those types, so playing the 4 eases that transition.

That is why Michigan State feels good with Keion Brooks in my opinion. Those days should be over and these two recruitment will hopefully show that.
Good post, I hope you're right. Just the last 20 years or so makes me a bit gun shy in terms of predicting what's going to happen.

Reactions: SNU0821
i did not enjoy watching josh jackson*

*based on one game, that I drove to Kansas City to watch
I bet if you're nice to the bad man, he'll make it so that game never even happened..
giphy.gif

2kghbl.jpg

Reactions: Toast.
It’s not that he’ll play the 2,3,4 but he’ll be a wing and play on the perimeter. I don’t think you’d want him being your 2nd ball handler except in rare cases.

Almost every one of these preseason prediction articles brings up Marcus Bingham as an impact freshman for MSU. I think he's probably closer to MSU's 3rd or 4th best of the freshman this season. He's like a skinnier, less developed version of JJJ that is further down the depth chart.
Lazy journalism at its finest. "Who is their highest rated recruit? He's the impact newcomer for sure!"

I'm not sure if he is or not, but someone just told me they think Brazdeikas is cockier than Stauskas. You guys are going to hate him.

On a side note, Stauskas stole the show last night in LeBron's opener with L.A. so that is cool.

I'm not sure if he is or not, but someone just told me they think Brazdeikas is cockier than Stauskas. You guys are going to hate him.

On a side note, Stauskas stole the show last night in LeBron's opener with L.A. so that is cool.
Good for him, really cocky but most of the time backed it up. One of the better pure shooters I've ever seen.

Easily the UM that annoyed me the most. He consistently lit us up. Good for him though.

Easily the UM that annoyed me the most. He consistently lit us up. Good for him though.

I can see that. Darius Morris told your PG to get off his court. Burke slapped the floor after stealing the ball from Appling. Novak dropped like 6 threes. I think those three would crack top 5 most hated Michigan players (by MSU fans). Then probably Stauskas and Wagner.

I can see that. Darius Morris told your PG to get off his court. Burke slapped the floor after stealing the ball from Appling. Novak dropped like 6 threes. I think those three would crack top 5 most hated Michigan players (by MSU fans). Then probably Stauskas and Wagner.
Oh yeah, they are probably a bit more hated but Nik just annoyed me. We couldn’t stop him.

Kenpom preseason rankings.

13.MSU
18.PU
20.Wisconsin
24.Michigan
28.Indiana
30.Maryland
32.PSU
35.Iowa
38.Nebraska
41.OSU
58.Northwestern
60.Minnesota
80.Illinois
149.Rutgers

damn that sucks if true. i feel like in football that's kinda the norm, but in basketball it's not common at all
Yeah, there is no rule against contacting a player after he has verballed, but it's almost like an unwritten rule in cbb that you don't actively recruit a player that has verbally committed.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Kenpom preseason rankings.

13.MSU
18.PU
20.Wisconsin
24.Michigan
28.Indiana
30.Maryland
32.PSU
35.Iowa
38.Nebraska
41.OSU
58.Northwestern
60.Minnesota
80.Illinois
149.Rutgers

I can’t remember wasn’t Ken Pom friendly to the B1G last year and then only got 4 teams in the tournament?

damn that sucks if true. i feel like in football that's kinda the norm, but in basketball it's not common at all
Football it’s obviously every recruit, but this isn’t unheard of stuff in b-ball it’s just far less common. Cincy recruited Terone Johnson until signing day, Cal obviously flipped Derek Willis. Hell Valpo’s coach recruited Scott Martin during his freshman year at Purdue.

I would agree that there are a lot of coaches that wouldn’t play that game — feel like especially in the B1G — but I’ve been told for a while that Zo is a win at all costs guy.

Yeah, there is no rule against contacting a player after he has verballed, but it's almost like an unwritten rule in cbb that you don't actively recruit a player that has verbally committed.
Maybe this is just me, but I think this happens more than we’re led to believe. Maybe not to the extent that it happens in CFB, but I think it still happens.

Maybe this is just me, but I think this happens more than we’re led to believe. Maybe not to the extent that it happens in CFB, but I think it still happens.

It does happen for sure. It isn’t like Sampson first talked to the Gordon’s or at least someone veryclose to them until he decommited

It does happen for sure. It isn’t like Sampson first talked to the Gordon’s or at least someone veryclose to them until he decommited
I feel like the B1G's old guard of coaches (Izzo, Painter, McCaffery, Beilein) probably still stick to that unwritten rule within the conference. But it seems like that's eventually going to go by the wayside. But the good news is it doesn't seem like the league has any demonstrably shady actors. There's a couple that are on that line, but for the most part the conference has straight shooters.

I really hope basketball recruiting doesn't become like football recruiting, because that is such a shitshow and nearly impossible to follow without a day-to-day update.

I can’t remember wasn’t Ken Pom friendly to the B1G last year and then only got 4 teams in the tournament?

I dunno I was wanting to go through the preseason rankings last year and compared to end of the year conference standings.

ADVERTISEMENT