ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

I haven't heard much from the MSU side re: Malik Hall.

Rumblings that MSU is trying to get Keion Brooks, Isaiah Stewart, possibly Vernon Carey for his 2nd official visit (since that is allowed now) and maybe some others for their OV this coming weekend, for the Michigan vs MSU game.

If Hall is deciding anytime soon, probably leaves MSU in a tough spot in whether they want to wait it out for Brooks and the others first.

You guys don't want to wait on Brooks- he's not in decision making mode yet. In fact Rabby seems to think that he's torn between having MSU or PU as his last official...

You guys don't want to wait on Brooks- he's not in decision making mode yet. In fact Rabby seems to think that he's torn between having MSU or PU as his last official...

Yea who knows. I also saw he might go to UK this weekend, so not sure where MSU actually stands w him.

Painter needs to close this one. Sounds like he has been on him a long time and been the most consistent. Would be a kick in the nuts to have Michigan State get him after coming in late.

I haven't heard much from the MSU side re: Malik Hall.

Rumblings that MSU is trying to get Keion Brooks, Isaiah Stewart, possibly Vernon Carey for his 2nd official visit (since that is allowed now) and maybe some others for their OV this coming weekend, for the Michigan vs MSU game.

If Hall is deciding anytime soon, probably leaves MSU in a tough spot in whether they want to wait it out for Brooks and the others first.

I had thought that a player could only go multiple times to a school on a OV if it's done 1 time jr year, and the other trip is over senior year?

I asked Rabjohns and Snow this exact question and they both said a player can only go 1 time a year. I asked within a day or two after the announcement was made, so its possible their wrong?

I had thought that a player could only go multiple times to a school on a OV if it's done 1 time jr year, and the other trip is over senior year?

I asked Rabjohns and Snow this exact question and they both said a player can only go 1 time a year. I asked within a day or two after the announcement was made, so its possible their wrong?

You might be right. He might be able to take the 2nd OV in January

Dana O'Neil with an interesting take from the FBI trial. She talks about how coaches are focusing more on recruiting rankings and less on their own eyes and are focused on recruiting much more than player development.

https://theathletic.com/590317/2018...ers-laid-bare-at-fbi-trial/?source=dailyemail

Some snippets:

But how did rankings replace a coach’s own eyeballs? A number of coaches who spoke to The Athletic saw Bowen play as a high schooler and almost all agreed with Pitino’s assessment. He was a pretty good player but not an immediate pro. “I know how it happens,” says Purdue’s Matt Painter. “When we lost it for a while a few years ago, I put it on my own inability to evaluate and recruit for myself. You get caught up in that stuff.”

“You can watch a player and think, He’s pretty good, and then all of a sudden Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky or one of those programs walk in the gym and it’s, ‘Oh my God! He must be a top-20 guy,'” Gonzaga coach Mark Few says. “It’s like we don’t trust our own eyeballs. It’s all about keeping up with the Joneses.

The 2016-17 contract of Maryland assistant Bino Ranson includes incentives for landing top-10 ($15,000) and top-25 ($7,500) recruiting classes, and for a top-10 player ($5,000).

Pitino says he essentially turned over the keys of recruiting to his staff, but when he went to hire assistants he stopped looking for people he believed could develop players. “I hired Kenny Johnson from Indiana because I asked five guys who were the best recruiters in the game,” he says of the former Louisville assistant now linked to paying Bowen.

Last edited:
Michigan State is getting Brooks' final official on 11/16.
giphy.gif

We'll see. Michigan definitely looked better against Wisconsin than I thought they would.

If MSU can pull it all together like they did against PSU, they win. If they play like they did against Northwestern... prob get blown out.

Uh, no. That win over Penn State was nice. I saw nearly the whole game and that looked like a pair of borderline top 25 teams in the field. Kudos to MSU for rising up, but thank PSU for looking like the team that took the field versus App State.

MSU wasn't perfect last week, but their ceiling isn't much higher than they showed. Meanwhile Michigan is continuing to show they are a borderline playoff caliber team. The road issues are the only concern. If Michigan plays to their potential then it will be a 10+ point win regardless of how well MSU performs.

And for the record I will note that Michigan being up on Wisconsin at 38-7 is somewhat of an outlier. Michigan got some turnovers that made that margin bigger than expected. Probably a 20 point win in a clean game. Probably a 16 point win if both teams were at full health.

That Wisconsin team that took the field on Saturday was about 30th ranked in ability. Probably low 20s at full health. Weird loss to BYU, but solid win at Iowa.

Reactions: MGC_07
@MileHighSpartan
@MGC_07
@JRMSU
@SpartanJD

I hope your win last week gave you guys confidence this week. It will make beating you better.
Uh, no. That win over Penn State was nice. I saw nearly the whole game and that looked like a pair of borderline top 25 teams in the field. Kudos to MSU for rising up, but thank PSU for looking like the team that took the field versus App State.

MSU wasn't perfect last week, but their ceiling isn't much higher than they showed. Meanwhile Michigan is continuing to show they are a borderline playoff caliber team. The road issues are the only concern. If Michigan plays to their potential then it will be a 10+ point win regardless of how well MSU performs.
Ehh, we’ll see. MSU consistently plays there best against Michigan, and we’ve won 8 out of the past 10 years. It is in East Lansing too

I’d still pick UM to win though. UM’s secondary will make it difficult for our offense to move the ball. I’m not as big of a Shea believer as most but he’s no slouch (I’d take him over Lewerke).

Ehh, we’ll see. MSU consistently plays there best against Michigan, and we’ve won 8 out of the past 10 years. It is in East Lansing too

I’d still pick UM to win though. UM’s secondary will make it difficult for our offense to move the ball. I’m not as big of a Shea believer as most but he’s no slouch (I’d take him over Lewerke).

Fwiw, I'm not guaranteeing a win. Just saying if Michigan plays to their potential then they will cover the spread. Won't necessarily happen. Might even lose. I took exception to milehigh's statement of replicating last week's performance equals victory. I didn't see two top ten teams in Happy Valley. His statement inferred something greater that my eyes did not see.

Shea has been about where I expected him to be. His quarterback rating is at my expectation. Won't get the high numbers because Michigan likes to run the ball more than I like. He was a solid quarterback his first two years at Ole Miss. Not everyone is Famous Jameis or Manziel in their second year. Take a look at Lewerke. He was not good in his second year in campus, but played well last year. The third year is where most quarterbacks start to flourish.

ADVERTISEMENT