ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

I will admit that seeing the 2nd worst poster on here say for me to delete a post of mine.... did piss me off some (Bwesty). If it would have been almost anyone else, it wouldn't have bothered me much. This is the same guy who insinuated that if SNU had a young daughter he would try to fck her.

About you, once you decided to use a homophobic slur....honestly, I lost interest in talking with you. Think what you want, but your opinion means nothing. If it helps you to think that....go for it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: KisteK and B-Westy
Figures you'd go with something gay. Don't get me wrong, it's a little better....but you can still do better.

You are so butt hurt you probably want to report me. I’m not using that one gif that will get me sent to Chile for a week.

giphy.gif

Lol
1st. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal here....not sure why you would think that I'd report you over this argument.

2nd. Does being able to post here mean that much to you? Not knocking ya, I just never thought anyone cared enough about a faceless message board to prevent them from posting something.

Figures you'd go with something gay. Don't get me wrong, it's a little better....but you can still do better.

You are so butt hurt you probably want to report me. I’m not using that one gif that will get me sent to Chile for a week.

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, this has gotten boring, so you win, im heading to bed. I've got to get up in 4 hours and drive up to indy for the day for work.

The second you made it seem like there weren't a drastically larger number of blacks in DC was the second everyone knew you were just being a bitch!

Keep playing this game if you want, because all you're doing is bringing a little laugh for everyone! If it'd help, we could try to see if johnhoosier can come over to tickle your nuts for a little while if it will prevent you from being a whiny bitch?
giphy.gif

Reactions: B-Westy
1.) Please stick around. Like having as many representatives as possible here.

2.) Did the full reasoning ever come out on Lathon? I heard it was not academics and heard a few rumors, but nothing was ever substantiated.

Wasn't academics, but something serious enough for other programs recruiting Lathon to back off as well (which is why he ended up at UTEP).

As for last season, aside from injury issues - BMac and Lindsey apparently didn't get along (not a good thing for your backcourt; was a real divide on the team that didn't rise up the year before due to the leadership of Lumpkin and Taphorn.

According to an assistant coach, transfer AJ Turner (BC) will get the lead ball handling duties (but won't be as reliant on one player as the team had been w/ BMac).

Graduate transfer Ryan Taylor is the best shooter on the team.

Pardon and Law gained muscle (Law had a medical condition which prevented him from gaining weight as well as limiting his endurance).

Pardon and Gaines have improved their mid-range shot and Nance and Kopp look promising.

Reason why haven't posted more frequently is that have been trouble posting more than once or at all.

Purdue had its annual Fan Day intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday.

Not a whole lot of surprises, but this is definitely going to be a very different roster and offensive structure than we've seen in the past six or seven years. Going to be a lot more five-out, PnR action with Painter's motion concepts mixed in to get guys shots.

Carsen Edwards, Matt Haarms, and Ryan Cline are the known commodities and the three guaranteed starters. Beyond that, there are some real question marks. The 4 spot is going to be interesting to watch as the season opens through the non-con schedule as Grady Eifert, Evan Boudreaux, and Aaron Wheeler all look like they can contribute in different ways.

Eifert was actually the second leading scorer on Saturday and knocked down five three-pointers. Kinda surprising that he's looking like the Day 1 starter for now, but I wonder if that's partly a function of Boudreaux still knocking off the rust after a full year off from live action.

There are four guys who I think will determine whether Purdue is just a solid, 20-win, bubble team or plays up to its ceiling:

Evan Boudreaux - Proven player at the college level. But will need for his rebounding and floor spacing to be a weapon at the 4/5 spot. Defensively, may be better against 5s as his lateral quickness could be picked on by the Juwan Morgan and Isaiah Roby-types of the conference.

Aaron Wheeler - Coming off redshirt. Maybe Purdue's most athletic player other than Edwards. Can really shoot it at 6'8", but his ball-handling still seems like a weakness, especially in traffic.

Eric Hunter - True freshman who may be asked to play a big role in the backcourt off the bench immediately. Adds another playmaker to complement Edwards and sounds like he's competed well on the defensive end in preseason.

Sasha Stefanovic - Coming off redshirt. Hate to make the lazy comparison, but he's a solid floor spacing shooter who makes good decisions, so the Dakota Mathias references are coming. Need someone other than Cline and Edwards who can be a consistent knock-down shooter.

tl;dr: Purdue can challenge for a top-3 spot if Edwards gets enough help around him, but could also end up in the 7/8 range if he doesn't.

Why are the majority of IU fans on this board awkward spastics? Delete this post.
Why are the majority of Purdue fans on this board whiny bitches?

Blaire, I'm not sure you of all people should be the person determining who should or shouldn't delete posts.

tl;dr: Purdue can challenge for a top-3 spot if Edwards gets enough help around him, but could also end up in the 7/8 range if he doesn't.
Heard that. I think like five or six teams can say this same thing. Gonna be interesting to see how everything shakes out. Guaranteed to be a surprise or two. Not sure who that's gonna be but I'm sure it's someone we're not betting on.

Purdue had its annual Fan Day intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday.

Not a whole lot of surprises, but this is definitely going to be a very different roster and offensive structure than we've seen in the past six or seven years. Going to be a lot more five-out, PnR action with Painter's motion concepts mixed in to get guys shots.

Carsen Edwards, Matt Haarms, and Ryan Cline are the known commodities and the three guaranteed starters. Beyond that, there are some real question marks. The 4 spot is going to be interesting to watch as the season opens through the non-con schedule as Grady Eifert, Evan Boudreaux, and Aaron Wheeler all look like they can contribute in different ways.

Eifert was actually the second leading scorer on Saturday and knocked down five three-pointers. Kinda surprising that he's looking like the Day 1 starter for now, but I wonder if that's partly a function of Boudreaux still knocking off the rust after a full year off from live action.

There are four guys who I think will determine whether Purdue is just a solid, 20-win, bubble team or plays up to its ceiling:

Evan Boudreaux - Proven player at the college level. But will need for his rebounding and floor spacing to be a weapon at the 4/5 spot. Defensively, may be better against 5s as his lateral quickness could be picked on by the Juwan Morgan and Isaiah Roby-types of the conference.

Aaron Wheeler - Coming off redshirt. Maybe Purdue's most athletic player other than Edwards. Can really shoot it at 6'8", but his ball-handling still seems like a weakness, especially in traffic.

Eric Hunter - True freshman who may be asked to play a big role in the backcourt off the bench immediately. Adds another playmaker to complement Edwards and sounds like he's competed well on the defensive end in preseason.

Sasha Stefanovic - Coming off redshirt. Hate to make the lazy comparison, but he's a solid floor spacing shooter who makes good decisions, so the Dakota Mathias references are coming. Need someone other than Cline and Edwards who can be a consistent knock-down shooter.

Good post. I always figured Eastern would be a lock as a starter too but maybe I’m wrong on that.

Good post. I always figured Eastern would be a lock as a starter too but maybe I’m wrong on that.
Why wouldn't he be a lock or close to a lock as a starter. I just assumed he would be. Is it more what Cline is doing well instead of what Eastern isn't?

I think that's a near-certainty, especially to start the season. But if there are some offensive struggles early on I could see Painter giving Hunter a shot and rolling with two combo guards in the backcourt.

On a related note, I think people are going to realize just how much they took for granted PJT and DM's efficiency and ball security in the back court when Eastern and Edwards are the primary ball handlers. Both are more prone to risks in transition and traffic and will likely cough it up more frequently than their graduated teammates.

From Bossi:

After wrapping up a weekend visit to Eugene to visit Dana Altman and Oregon, top 50 forward
Malik Hall
is done with his official visits.

The native of Illinois who preps at Bel Aire (Kans.) Sunrise Christian has also visited Michigan State, Oklahoma and Purdue officially.

With the visits over, this decision is going to come down to the Boilermakers, Ducks and Spartans. It's awfully tight to call and naming a clear cut leader could be difficult. I know I'm not ready to make a prediction yet, but if push came to shove I would probably lean towards Purdue. They've done a great job with him. But, Oregon has been heavily involved for a while and has done a good job as well. Izzo and the Spartans have certainly turned things up too.

Hall hasn't announced any decision timeline, but I would be surprised if he's not ready to announce a decision in the near future.

Why wouldn't he be a lock or close to a lock as a starter. I just assumed he would be. Is it more what Cline is doing well instead of what Eastern isn't?
He'll almost certainly begin the season as a starter, but I think Hunter could push him for minutes because of his lack of a jumpshot and ability space the floor.

And I'm far from someone who is in a hurry for unproven freshmen to supplant established guys. I just think the holes in Eastern's offensive game aren't great compliments for Edwards in the backcourt.

Reactions: SNU0821 and klize17
From Bossi:

After wrapping up a weekend visit to Eugene to visit Dana Altman and Oregon, top 50 forward
Malik Hall
is done with his official visits.

The native of Illinois who preps at Bel Aire (Kans.) Sunrise Christian has also visited Michigan State, Oklahoma and Purdue officially.

With the visits over, this decision is going to come down to the Boilermakers, Ducks and Spartans. It's awfully tight to call and naming a clear cut leader could be difficult. I know I'm not ready to make a prediction yet, but if push came to shove I would probably lean towards Purdue. They've done a great job with him. But, Oregon has been heavily involved for a while and has done a good job as well. Izzo and the Spartans have certainly turned things up too.

Hall hasn't announced any decision timeline, but I would be surprised if he's not ready to announce a decision in the near future.

Painter needs to close this one. Sounds like he has been on him a long time and been the most consistent. Would be a kick in the nuts to have Michigan State get him after coming in late.

Reactions: KisteK
He'll almost certainly begin the season as a starter, but I think Hunter could push him for minutes because of his lack of a jumpshot and ability space the floor.

And I'm far from someone who is in a hurry for unproven freshmen to supplant established guys. I just think the holes in Eastern's offensive game aren't great compliments for Edwards in the backcourt.

I can’t wait for the Treed posts if her baby boy isn’t getting the minutes

I don't know anything about Hunter, either. I never saw him play and haven't read much about him personally. I'll tell ya who Eastern reminds me of, slightly, Stan Robinson. Good defender. Has skills at getting to the rim. Below average shooter from deep. Or at least that was the Stan when he was at IU. That's who immediately jumps out to me as a comparison. A good player, just someone that can cause you problems if teams scheme him to shoot. It'll be interesting to see his improvements.

Tell me more about Cline. Are we seeing the same type of jump from Cline like we did from Mathias? Always thought Mathias had a really high bball IQ. But as he got older he looked for his shot more and more and he was a solid defender. Same type of gains from Cline or no?

I can’t wait for the Treed posts if her baby boy isn’t getting the minutes
I don't know why she goes onto the boards. Seems like such a stressful thing for her and/or any parent of a player. You'll always have trolls on there looking to get a rise just for the sake of it.

But I'm not gonna lie, I do find it entertaining when she goes off the deep end...

I don't know anything about Hunter, either. I never saw him play and haven't read much about him personally. I'll tell ya who Eastern reminds me of, slightly, Stan Robinson. Good defender. Has skills at getting to the rim. Below average shooter from deep. Or at least that was the Stan when he was at IU. That's who immediately jumps out to me as a comparison. A good player, just someone that can cause you problems if teams scheme him to shoot. It'll be interesting to see his improvements.

Tell me more about Cline. Are we seeing the same type of jump from Cline like we did from Mathias? Always thought Mathias had a really high bball IQ. But as he got older he looked for his shot more and more and he was a solid defender. Same type of gains from Cline or no?
I think Cline has always been a solid player....just didn't get enough consistent minutes to show it. Supposedly he's worked on improving from just a catch and shoot three point shooter to being more versatile (and showed it in the Fan Day scrimmage) but the same was said leading into last year and it didn't really materialize in games (again...Mathias had a lot to do with that).

I think Painter will give Cline more looks this year and I'm guessing he will respond well....at least I certainly hope so.

I think Cline has always been a solid player....just didn't get enough consistent minutes to show it. Supposedly he's worked on improving from just a catch and shoot three point shooter to being more versatile (and showed it in the Fan Day scrimmage) but the same was said leading into last year and it didn't really materialize in games (again...Mathias had a lot to do with that).

I think Painter will give Cline more looks this year and I'm guessing he will respond well....at least I certainly hope so.

I read Painters thoughts on this from media day I believe. No doubt Cline has been behind the older players. Will be interested to see how he does.

I think the Stan Robinson comparison is a pretty good one. I think Eastern's physical profile may position him to overcome the lack of a jumpshot better than Robinson, but Robinson's defensive success - especially at RI - is a good model for how he can impact games without being a threat outside of 15 feet. Robinson was an important piece on those teams in his last two seasons.

I think Cline has a much better floor game than he gets credit. Part of that has been playing behind Mathias limiting his minutes the past couple years, and part of that is the fact that he's just sort of an awkward athlete in his movements.

I think Mathias' skillset truly was one of a great passer and complementary wing who also happened to be a really good shooter. Conversely, I think Cline is a great shooter who also happens to do some good things in ball movement and can be competent defender. But he's not going to create open looks for teammates with his passing the way Mathias could or be an all-league defender.

I expect he's going to be an 8-12 ppg scorer this year who finally benefits from consistent minutes. He's struggled with spotty time - and that really impacts shooters trying to get in a rhythm. We saw the same thing with Mathias his junior year when he finally got consistent run. But Cline is really good in catch-and-shoot and is probably better shooting off the dribble, and fading than Mathias was.

I don't anticipate Cline will be all-conference good. But teams having to hug him out to 24' is going to be huge for Edwards, especially if you put Cline on the strong side of PnR action.

Last edited:
I think the Stan Robinson comparison is a pretty good one. I think Eastern's physical profile may position him to overcome the lack of a jumpshot better than Robinson, but Robinson's defensive success - especially at RI - is a good model for how he can impact games without being a threat outside of 15 feet. Robinson was an important piece on those teams in his last two seasons.

I think Cline has a much better floor game than he gets credit. Part of that has been playing behind Mathias limiting his minutes the past couple years, and part of that is the fact that he's just sort of an awkward athlete in his movements.

I think Mathias' skillset truly was one of a great passer and complementary wing who also happened to be a really good shooter. Conversely, I think Cline is a great shooter who also happens to do some good things in ball movement and can be competent defender. But he's not going to create open looks for teammates with his passing the way Mathias could or be an all-league defender.

I expect he's going to be an 8-12 ppg scorer this year who finally benefits from consistent minutes. He's struggled with spotty time - and that really impacts shooters trying to get in a rhythm. We saw the same thing with Mathias his junior year when he finally got consistent run. But Cline is really good in catch-and-shoot and is probably better shooting off the dribble, and fading than Mathias was.

I don't anticipate Cline will be all-conference good. But teams having to hug him out to 24' is going to be huge for Edwards, especially if you put Cline on the strong side of PnR action.

I have made some turns on Cline after some things I have read. If Purdue is to have a top 25 team Cline will be important to thar

Reactions: SNU0821
I have made some turns on Cline after some things I have read. If Purdue is to have a top 25 team Cline will be important to thar
Yup, agreed. Gonna need a legit second scorer on a nightly basis to emerge. And I'm not convinced Haarms or Eastern are ready to make that leap.

I would have initially expected Boudreaux to fill that role, but it sounds like this year could be a work in progress for him.

How are the reports on the non-Romeo freshmen so far in Bloomington? Also, do you see Davis filling a big role? Kinda feel like he's an odd fit with the rest of the roster that Archie is putting together with 308 guys on scholarship between 6'6" and 6'8" on the wing.

Painter needs to close this one. Sounds like he has been on him a long time and been the most consistent. Would be a kick in the nuts to have Michigan State get him after coming in late.

I haven't heard much from the MSU side re: Malik Hall.

Rumblings that MSU is trying to get Keion Brooks, Isaiah Stewart, possibly Vernon Carey for his 2nd official visit (since that is allowed now) and maybe some others for their OV this coming weekend, for the Michigan vs MSU game.

If Hall is deciding anytime soon, probably leaves MSU in a tough spot in whether they want to wait it out for Brooks and the others first.

I haven't heard much from the MSU side re: Malik Hall.

Rumblings that MSU is trying to get Keion Brooks, Isaiah Stewart, possibly Vernon Carey for his 2nd official visit (since that is allowed now) and maybe some others for their OV this coming weekend, for the Michigan vs MSU game.

If Hall is deciding anytime soon, probably leaves MSU in a tough spot in whether they want to wait it out for Brooks and the others first.
If you guys could get a couple frontcourt commitments this week, I'd appreciate it. TIA.

Reactions: KisteK and klize17
How are the reports on the non-Romeo freshmen so far in Bloomington? Also, do you see Davis filling a big role? Kinda feel like he's an odd fit with the rest of the roster that Archie is putting together with 308 guys on scholarship between 6'6" and 6'8" on the wing.

Phinisee is the most ready to play because of his defense. Hunter is hitting some jump shots and would probably get the third most minutes after Romeo/Phinisee. Jake has a noticeable energy about him that will probably give him some minutes on the floor. Haven't heard much from Anderson and honestly not sure how much he will fill any roles this season.

We are also hearing that Romeo is very good. Obviously that isn't a huge surprise, but he has impressed in drills and taking the challenges personally. Wanting to be the best each day. Archie does a gold jersey (gold jersey, green jersey who gives a shit) each week and while Juwan dominated the first week Romeo was already second.

Davis is still not cleared for full court five on five. He still has those pretty post moves that he has shown in a couple workout videos that have been posted. I just do not see much for him until January at the earliest, and at that point depending on how Indiana is playing I am not sure how much Archie will want to switch things up.

Hunter has been shooting the ball well. Phinisee has come in college ready.

I laughed out loud at the above. Laughing

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT