ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Knight most certainly did recruit JJ, he got fired right before his freshman season. Actually, if you look at the picture of the Davis press conference the team is standing behind him, and JJ is there.
Mike Davis is why JJ came to IU. It's also why he stayed. Knight was no more involved with the recruitment of JJ, as you and I were.

Knight most certainly did recruit JJ, he got fired right before his freshman season. Actually, if you look at the picture of the Davis press conference the team is standing behind him, and JJ is there.
Mike Davis is why JJ came to IU. It's also why he stayed. Knight was no more involved with the recruitment of JJ, as you and I were.

I actually thought you were saying Knight was long gone before JJ got there, my bad. I have no direct knowledge about how it unfolded, so you might be right. I was just passing along the info I've heard multiple times over the years. But, the info I have is way pass 2nd hand, so it could be wrong.

Are you saying that Knight never started to recruit again, or are you only talking about JJ?

I actually thought you were saying Knight was long gone before JJ got there, my bad. I have no direct knowledge about how it unfolded, so you might be right. I was just passing along the info I've heard multiple times over the years. But, the info I have is way pass 2nd hand, so it could be wrong.

Are you saying that Knight never started to recruit again, or are you only talking about JJ?
No biggie. Knight gave up on the recruiting aspect, IMO, in the mid 90's. Just wasn t a priority. IMO he felt "Indiana/Bob Knight " was enough. To me his arrogance got innthe way.

Reactions: cosmickid
No one said anything to controversial in response to my post unfortunately. Busy work weekend for me anyway so haven’t had a chance to read the forum.
Lol. Why you working on the weekend? What do you do for a living?

pharmaceutical scientist and a pig farmer. Hell of a combo I know. Working in the pig barn this weekend.
Jesus man. Pharmaceutical scientist? F’ing A.

My buddy runs a big pig farm. He loves it. Left corporate America to go and do that for a living.

Reactions: KisteK
Jesus man. Pharmaceutical scientist? F’ing A.

My buddy runs a big pig farm. He loves it. Left corporate America to go and do that for a living.
Yeah, the BS in pharmaceutical science degree was just introduced at Purdue the year before I enrolled. Sounded good but what you don’t realize as a stupid 18 year old is that it’s pharmacy chemistry and engineering math all baked in one for 4 years. Flipping miserable school but love being in the lab and didn’t want to go the extra years to be a pharmacist.

And is your buddy in Indiana? I may know him. I love it too, balances me out plus it’s my family’s business so I take pride in it. We’ve got 1,200 sows and around 8,000 pigs most the time.

Last edited:
Damn. So do you get a couple days off during the week prior or after? Or are you working seven days a week when you work the weekends?

I work second shift 7/70.

7 days on Monday through Sunday 2pm to midnight. (7 ten hour shifts)

7 days off the following week.

The trade off is that I don’t take part in the On Call rotation the other techs do.

Reactions: SNU0821
Yeah, the BS in pharmaceutical science degree was just introduced at Purdue the year before I enrolled. Sounded good but what you don’t realize as a stupid 18 year old is that it’s pharmacy chemistry and engineering math all baked in one for 4 years. Flipping miserable school but love being in the lab and didn’t want to go the extra years to be a pharmacist.

And is your buddy in Indiana? I may know him. I love it too, balances me out plus it’s my family’s business so I take pride in it. We’ve got 1,200 sows and around 8,000 pigs most the time.
My brother left corporate USA to sell pig semen to the show pig market. You might have heard of them - PBG out of Arlington, In. They are doing really well.

My brother left corporate USA to sell pig semen to the show pig market. You might have heard of them - PBG out of Arlington, In. They are doing really well.
Worked a basketball game at Rushville. Arlington's a cool, little town.

I have not but I don’t have anything to do with the show-pig market. I’m not surprised though, people will pay stupid amounts for semen in the show pig industry.

Nice! Yeah my buddy is in a town on the IN/MI border. Can’t remember what it’s called. He loves it.

Reactions: otte21

My cousin owns a big pig farm near New Castle. Know of anyone there?

Actually Jefferies recently mentioned that the reason he finally settled on Indiana is because Knight called him the night before the morning he was announcing and talked to him for about a half hour. Before that he thought he was going to Duke.

Reactions: klize17

Actually Jefferies recently mentioned that the reason he finally settled on Indiana is because Knight called him the night before the morning he was announcing and talked to him for about a half hour. Before that he thought he was going to Duke.

I've heard this somewhere also.

For some reason, I could have sworn that Dakich's version of knights later tenure at IU was filled with a renewed passion and he had really started to focus on recruiting again?

Ok. Davis was the main cog in the JJ recruitment. Knight calling just made it easier. But make no mistake, Mike Davis played a HUGE role in JJ becoming a Hoosier.

I've heard this somewhere also.

For some reason, I could have sworn that Dakich's version of knights later tenure at IU was filled with a renewed passion and he had really started to focus on recruiting again?
He did start to get involved more. But by then, it was to late.

Ok. Davis was the main cog in the JJ recruitment. Knight calling just made it easier. But make no mistake, Mike Davis played a HUGE role in JJ becoming a Hoosier.

Well you or I weren't a 3 time NCAA champion who called and talked to Jeffries the night before his decision, a conversation he said pushed him towards Indiana, so I'd dial back the overzealous assumptions.

Reactions: klize17
Well you or I weren't a 3 time NCAA champion who called and talked to Jeffries the night before his decision, a conversation he said pushed him towards Indiana, so I'd dial back the overzealous assumptions.
No assumptions whatsoever. It's highly known Knight wasn t involved in recruiting as he once was. I have no doubt that the call from Knight played a role. I'm sure it did. But Davis did most of the leg work. There's not secret to that. Davis was a terrific recruiter.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT