ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Just got home from my men’s league golf night so obviously am drunk. However, Purdue will be a top 3 defensive team in the big ten next season, tell me why I’m wrong. Will appreciate all answers in the morning even if I think you’re an idiot when I’m sober, commence.
Purdue has 3 really good defenders in Eastern, Edwards, and Haarms. After that, the rest of the team are (arguably) poor defenders. Based on the reports from the team Stefanovic(?) And wheeler played on last week, they weren't great on defense. Hunter weighs like 30 lbs. Williams weighs like 500 lbs. Cline isn't a good defender. I dont know anything about Boudreau's (?) Defense.

Will the 3 good defenders be able to make up for everyone else?

Reactions: otte21
Purdue has 3 really good defenders in Eastern, Edwards, and Haarms. After that, the rest of the team are (arguably) poor defenders. Based on the reports from the team Stefanovic(?) And wheeler played on last week, they weren't great on defense. Hunter weighs like 30 lbs. Williams weighs like 500 lbs. Cline isn't a good defender. I dont know anything about Boudreau's (?) Defense.

Will the 3 good defenders be able to make up for everyone else?
with three high-end defenders and williams' 500 pound frame clogging up the lane and also taking oxygen away from other players because of his heavy breathing, it's an elite defense for sure. plus that's not even counting the amount of offensive fouls hunter will be drawing when opponents call out a screen and blow his 30 pound body to the floor. so many elite level defensive characteristics on this roster

Defense? Can you use it in a sentence, please?

-Fran
Pronunciation: Dee-fens
Origination: West Lafayette, Indiana
Usage: The Pistons are doing a great job of stopping Jordan tonight. They are playing good team defense
200w.gif

Seriously though those ***s cant even win 6 games. They aren’t getting verbally abused enough, bunch of whiny primadonnas.

Edit: apparently our head trainer said to drag his(Jordan McNair) ass off the field. He’ll be fired.

Sounds like coach Wilson at Indiana. Honestly I think this generation of kids are coddled and need this type of environment. The strong will survive, our population is better off because of this coaching staff but the NCAA will drop the hammer because of the weak minded and soft culture that has been created by the media.

Edit: Misspelled weak and didn't want @TheDude1 to call me out over a simple grammatical error.

Those IU fans are the white Knights of the big ten.

I am not a huge Knight guy, in his current state, but it’s hard to argue with results. Now he should have been gone after 1994 but no one was firing a 3x national championship coach two years after a final four. The game passed him by during the mid 90s and I think he knew that and he grew to be more frustrated.

Now he is just a petty demented old man

I am not a huge Knight guy, in his current state, but it’s hard to argue with results. Now he should have been gone after 1994 but no one was firing a 3x national championship coach two years after a final four. The game passed him by during the mid 90s and I think he knew that and he grew to be more frustrated.

As opposed to petty demented young man.

I, for one, would be very surprised to see IU fans defend a coaching staff which traffics in verbal and physical abuse.

Compare the graduation rates and arrests between the bully known as Robert Montgomery Knight and the nice guy known as Clappy the fvcking Clown. Which way works?

He meant it in the best possible way...Winking

Those IU fans are the white Knights of the big ten.

I disagree, I don't think the game ever truly passed him by. I think his determination and drive is what was gone. It's well documented that during the early/mid 90s, he completely walked away from recruiting and left all of those responsibilities to his assistants. Dakich has a story he always tells about when he was an assistant coach. He had Raef Lafrenze, I believe (sp?) On campus and he wanted to go to IU. The parents were adamant that they wanted to meet Knight before their son would play for him. I think the story goes that instead of taking a day to spend time with a major recruit....he went fishing and hunting.

It wasn't until the Jefferies recruitment that he started to get back into it. This was the 1st recruit in many years where he was determined to get him. The other reason I don't think the game had passed him by was because of that 2002 team. He had put together one of his typical teams that ends up having great success. They didn't have many superstars, but players who accepted and excelled in the roles given to them.

Unfortunately hes a bitter old man who has ruined the legacy he had with the fans. I look back on that time and if I'm being honest, I'm disappointed in some of the things he did that I used to defend.

No matter if you loved or hated him...if you didn't think he was a genius when it came to basketball...you didn't understand the game!

I disagree, I don't think the game ever truly passed him by. I think his determination and drive is what was gone. It's well documented that during the early/mid 90s, he completely walked away from recruiting and left all of those responsibilities to his assistants. Dakich has a story he always tells about when he was an assistant coach. He had Raef Lafrenze, I believe (sp?) On campus and he wanted to go to IU. The parents were adamant that they wanted to meet Knight before their son would play for him. I think the story goes that instead of taking a day to spend time with a major recruit....he went fishing and hunting.

It wasn't until the Jefferies recruitment that he started to get back into it. This was the 1st recruit in many years where he was determined to get him. The other reason I don't think the game had passed him by was because of that 2002 team. He had put together one of his typical teams that ends up having great success. They didn't have many superstars, but players who accepted and excelled in the roles given to them.

Unfortunately hes a bitter old man who has ruined the legacy he had with the fans. I look back on that time and if I'm being honest, I'm disappointed in some of the things he did that I used to defend.

No matter if you loved or hated him...if you didn't think he was a genius when it came to basketball...you didn't understand the game!

If he lost his determination and drive to recruit then the game passed him by a little.

Knight didn't coach the 2002 team. Nor did he recruit JJ. Everything else----spot on.

Game didn't pass him by. Knight could cosch, and win, in any era. He was a basketball genius. What "passed" was kids no longer wanting to put up with his antics. Wilkerson incident...thr his son....thrn Reed. Rather wrong or right, kids see this. And what NO part of it. His inability to adapt to the changing landscape of kids, IMO, was his demise.

If he lost his determination and drive to recruit then the game passed him by a little.

I consider having the game pass you by too mean that because of his old school style, he was no longer able to produce a team that had the potential to produce at the level they had during his prime. I think that the team he put together in 2002, and the success they had even with a coach who he himself admits was severely unqualified for the job.

That team was the one who coincided with when he actually started to try again to recruit. I've read, or heard stories that after all the kids from Jefferies class had signed, Knight had said that within the next 2 to 3 years that team would win another championship.

Knight didn't coach the 2002 team. Nor did he recruit JJ. Everything else----spot on.

Knight most certainly did recruit JJ, he got fired right before his freshman season. Actually, if you look at the picture of the Davis press conference the team is standing behind him, and JJ is there.

So really, who are the top 3 offensive and defensive teams in the cconfernece?

Defense:
Michigan, Purdue, ?

Offense:
Michigan State, Indiana, ?

Sounds like coach Wilson at Indiana. Honestly I think this generation of kids are coddled and need this type of environment. The strong will survive, our population is better off because of this coaching staff but the NCAA will drop the hammer because of the weak minded and soft culture that has been created by the media.

Edit: Misspelled weak and didn't want @TheDude1 to call me out over a simple grammatical error.

Our population is better off even though a young man died due to negligence? You can’t be serious? Durkin and staff completely screwed up and it cost a life.

Reactions: KisteK and BANGBRO
So really, who are the top 3 offensive and defensive teams in the cconfernece?

Defense:
Michigan, Purdue, ?

Offense:
Michigan State, Indiana, ?

Just based on how bad they shot last year, theres no way I'm going to assume IU is top 3 in offense until I see it on the court. They brought in a lot of new parts that on paper, it seems they should be drastically improved on offense.

But, I think anyone who really believes they will be top 3 without seeing live game action needs to take off the crimson glasses! I do believe they have the potential to do it, but currently, that's just potential on paper. Absolutely nothing from last years team should make anyone certain of that much improvement.

Game didn't pass him by. Knight could cosch, and win, in any era. He was a basketball genius. What "passed" was kids no longer wanting to put up with his antics. Wilkerson incident...thr his son....thrn Reed. Rather wrong or right, kids see this. And what NO part of it. His inability to adapt to the changing landscape of kids, IMO, was his demise.

Incorrect in my opinion but I am too drunk to debate this.

Knight couldn’t adjust to the shot clock and as the shot clock shortened his style wasn’t great anymore

Reactions: SNU0821
Always thought knight was alright. Like listening to his in-game commentary.
I hated his in game commentary. Lol. Thought he was terrible. But then again, I kind of like Dakich, so maybe I’m an outlier on this subject.

Incorrect in my opinion but I am too drunk to debate this.

Knight couldn’t adjust to the shot clock and as the shot clock shortened his style wasn’t great anymore
So 10 less seconds stumped arguably one the top coaches of all-time?
Knight could game plan for UNLV in a week. Syracuse in one day? Two teams with ridiculously more talent. But he couldn't adjust to 10 less seconds on the shot clock?
Ok...

Last edited:
Reactions: jace46555
ADVERTISEMENT