ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Is it really a money issue for Indiana on whether to stay or leave Crossroads? If it is, stop paying IPFW and Indiana State hundreds of thousands of dollars to dumptruck you on your home court. There, your financial problems are solved.

Thing is, I don't think it's a money issue, that's just some lame excuse to get out of a good event that's good for the state. It's one of those things where they still think, even after being a .500 program these last 15 years, they are somehow above playing Notre Dame and Butler. Just play in the event, enjoy the home court advantage vs. a good opponent and stfu
The gap between you and @B-Westy is essentially gone. Good to know you’ve embraced being a shit poster.

The gap between you and @B-Westy is essentially gone. Good to know you’ve embraced being a shit poster.
Don’t worry @ThreeTwaunMoore, being compared to me is a big time compliment.

And BTW, he’s so right lol. Where does the entitlement come from on IU’s side? It’s hilarious how fans are citing “revenue” as to why they don’t want to play in the CCC. Revenue? Really? That’s probably the last thing I worry about as a fan. Playing quality opponents, Big Ten schedule, & Painter’s game day attire are things I worry more about than revenue Purdue is getting from a certain game.

It’s a good event and is respected throughout the industry so much so other states want to host the same type of thing. Why the hell is money an issue when the IUBB department is rolling in it anyway?

Any time someone starts to quote his shooting % in high school as a reason he isn't a good shooter without acknowledging that he was usually guarded by 3 people...is just laughable.

I've seen him play 7 separate times living in Clarksville, I can confirm that his shooting abilities isn't a concern. When he was actually only guarded by 1 person, it seemed his numbers were just fine. Also throw in the fact that a decent % of his shots were 2 or 3 steps behind the line so he could get the shot off before the triple team got to him is another reason his numbers might be down.
Stating high school player was routinely guarded by 3 people is even more absurd. The result would be the balance of the game would be 4 on 2. Not happening. Maybe some trick defense and certainly a ton of attention but c’mon man.

Reactions: jace46555
Any time someone starts to quote his shooting % in high school as a reason he isn't a good shooter without acknowledging that he was usually guarded by 3 people...is just laughable.

I've seen him play 7 separate times living in Clarksville, I can confirm that his shooting abilities isn't a concern. When he was actually only guarded by 1 person, it seemed his numbers were just fine. Also throw in the fact that a decent % of his shots were 2 or 3 steps behind the line so he could get the shot off before the triple team got to him is another reason his numbers might be down.
Stating high school player was routinely guarded by 3 people is even more absurd. The result would be the balance of the game would be 4 on 2. Not happening. Maybe some trick defense and certainly a ton of attention but c’mon man.

Well, I can tell you never saw him play an actual game? I actually saw 4 people guard him before, but it was when he was on the block. There were many instances where opposing teams created a new scheme so that there would always be multiple people in his area on defense.

Honestly, not sure why any of this is a surprise to anyone who's ever watched a high school basketball game. Hell, my daughters coach one time literally had all 5 players guard the same person. But, her team was horrible, and the person they were guarding had already dropped in 14- 3 pointers, and only needed 1 more for the record.

But this type of thing happens often when an opposing player is going off on your team, and your pride is determined to stop him one way or another. Even though it's not the most sound defensive principles you should be teaching high school kids.

I did reread my original post and I apologize....I meant to say that....most of the time he was guarded by at least 2 or 3 people. Instead I just put 3 people....I dont blame you for calling that out.

And BTW, he’s so right lol. Where does the entitlement come from on IU’s side? It’s hilarious how fans are citing “revenue” as to why they don’t want to play in the CCC. Revenue? Really? That’s probably the last thing I worry about as a fan. Playing quality opponents, Big Ten schedule, & Painter’s game day attire are things I worry more about than revenue Purdue is getting from a certain game.

It’s a good event and is respected throughout the industry so much so other states want to host the same type of thing. Why the hell is money an issue when the IUBB department is rolling in it anyway?

Honestly i don't really agree with it. It has that Kentucky fan feel to it. I still agree I'd rather play Kentucky every year over Butler/ND if something has to change but I'd rather keep both.

Reactions: KisteK and klize17

Honestly i don't really agree with it. It has that Kentucky fan feel to it. I still agree I'd rather play Kentucky every year over Butler/ND if something has to change but I'd rather keep both.

This is the only reason I'd ever support them walking away from it. If its going to be replaced by a perennial top 10 team. Anything less than that and we might as well keep playing Butler and Notre Dame. Because you know year in and year out, both will field a highly competitive team.

Reactions: KisteK

Hahahaha

When fans of one of the other teams are upset about the thought of IU pulling out of the crossroads. Just a couple of years ago, we had to turn down/back out of the CBS sports classic because it was on the same weekend. The other 3 teams who were invited to play in this was UK, UCLA and UNC.

I think even fans of the 3 other teams in the crossroads would admit that any of those games would have been way higher profile then playing Butler or Notre Dame. Even if we had been paired with UCLA, it would have been a major primetime event. Not only because its IU and UCLA (whose names, admittedly, aren't what they used to be), but also because it would have been billed as "Alford coaching against IU".

I had completely forgotten about this all happening until I just read it on TOS.

If the option is to keep both I am all for it but if it’s one or the other I’ll take the UK game.

Reading a good amount on recruiting today. Seems like the Franklin situation is going to be an interesting one. May not be as much of a done deal to Purdue as I was lead to believe. Hoping we can make an impression on him during his visit. Regardless, I'd be happy with either one of the two (Franklin/Newman). I haven't seen either play live, so I'm indifferent. Just hoping we can get one of them.

Nothing I said was wrong.

Except IU being a .500 program.

Trust me I am not bragging about IUs winning percentage the past 15 years but it is better than .500. The highs of Indiana have been great the lows have been lowest of the lows during this stretch.

Even during the worst stretch in program history IU has the same amount of conference titles as Purdue and after this year just one less Sweet 16.

Reactions: SNU0821
Reading a good amount on recruiting today. Seems like the Franklin situation is going to be an interesting one. May not be as much of a done deal to Purdue as I was lead to believe. Hoping we can make an impression on him during his visit. Regardless, I'd be happy with either one of the two (Franklin/Newman). I haven't seen either play live, so I'm indifferent. Just hoping we can get one of them.
What have you been hearing

Archie pushed up that visit for a reason. Hopefully he can close on the official. First Archie/Painter battle going to officials.

Reactions: KisteK and SNU0821

Trust me I am not bragging about IUs winning percentage the past 15 years but it is better than .500. The highs of Indiana have been great the lows have been lowest of the lows during this stretch.

Even during the worst stretch in program history IU has the same amount of conference titles as Purdue and after this year just one less Sweet 16.
Okay, so it's 53 percent. That's a .500 program.

Franklin is a Purdue lean going into visits, but not substantial. Xavier visit is unlikely at this point. Franklin was ready to commit to Xavier earlier this year and held off. The relationship isn't dead but isn't great.

Last edited:
Roster management just became a pain in the ass with non-drafted players now being allowed to return to school.

Also how do you define "elite" player. If you allow one to be paired with an agent allow them all.

Also kids now get 15 official visits instead of five.

Reactions: WheelerG and KisteK
Roster management just became a pain in the ass with non-drafted players now being allowed to return to school.

Also how do you define "elite" player. If you allow one to be paired with an agent allow them all.

Why such a small number was ******ed. This is an important life decision for kids.

15?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to a recruit cutting his list to 50 schools

Why such a small number was ******ed. This is an important life decision for kids.

Its pretty amazing that a kid can visit the entire B1G and the University of Hawaii and not pay a dime.

Hawaii's recruiting budget better be raised a lot of kids and family are going to be pushing for a visit.

Its pretty amazing that a kid can visit the entire B1G and the University of Hawaii and not pay a dime.

Hawaii's recruiting budget better be raised a lot of kids and family are going to be pushing for a visit.

15 might be high, but 5 was ******ed. 10 might be a good number. Recruit cuts it down to his top 10 schools and takes an OV to each.

That wasn’t the worst stretch in program history. Do your homework.

Nothing major. Just a little more clarity around the situation. Everyone still believes Purdue leads but it’s not a done deal. I guess that was different than what I feel like I got when reading about his recruitment last week or so. I thought what I read led me to believe Purdue had it wrapped up and it was essentially over. So nothing more than we’re not dead in the water.

That wasn’t the worst stretch in program history. Do your homework.

tenor.gif

Reactions: SNU0821
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT