ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

That's because he is a ginger.

c23bd0d7e3307b5d3294e65d43695226.jpg

When I think of ginger athletes in the Big Ten, only two people come to mind.

Kevin Huerter and Mike Mcqueary.

Not a good group for Kevin to have association.

B1G Draft Picks:
4. Jaren Jackson, Jr (MSU) - Memphis Grizzlies
12. Miles Bridges (MSU) - Charlotte Hornets (trade)
25. Mo Wagner (UM) - Los Angeles Lakers
43. Justin Jackson (Maryland) - Orlando Magic (trade)
48. Keita Bates-Diop (OSU) - Minnesota Timberwoves
51. Tony Carr (PSU) - New Orleans Pelicans
52. Vincent Edwards (Purdue) - Houston Rockets (trade)

KBD seems a little low and like the Carr pickup...Vince is too efficient to not find a role somewhere eventually

If you don’t think Painter is trying to sell that then you are not following the TJD recruitment closely
Well of course a coach will promote his successes. I can't imagine he's used that silly term though. Fans of every program come up with ish like that all the time, which makes snarking about it comical.

Reactions: klize17
Well of course a coach will promote his successes. I can't imagine he's used that silly term though. Fans of every program come up with ish like that all the time, which makes snarking about it comical.

I get that doesn’t mean I can’t

tenor.gif

Every once in awhile

With the players all on campus and workouts beginning what reports have you guys been hearing?

We have heard some really good things about Green, Romeo, Hunter and Morgan. Nothing against the other folks just these four have stood out. The grad transfer Fitzner won't officially be on campus and working out until July I believe. He is in Indianapolis though working out and was on campus last weekend for the Parent/Son camp.

Starting lineup today would be Green, Romeo, Smith, McBob, Morgan. DeRon is progressing but is very much going to be an unknown health wise for a few more months it seems.

Reactions: KisteK and Toast.
With the players all on campus and workouts beginning what reports have you guys been hearing?

We have heard some really good things about Green, Romeo, Hunter and Morgan. Nothing against the other folks just these four have stood out. The grad transfer Fitzner won't officially be on campus and working out until July I believe. He is in Indianapolis though working out and was on campus last weekend for the Parent/Son camp.

Starting lineup today would be Green, Romeo, Smith, McBob, Morgan. DeRon is progressing but is very much going to be an unknown health wise for a few more months it seems.

Only thing I heard is incoming Frosh, Jarvis Omersa, has looked pretty good in early practice. Kid has a 40+ inch vert and has an extremely high motor.

From the MSU camp, our best 2 Freshmen right now are Aaron Henry and Foster Loyer. Said Fosters shot is really clean and he can hold his own on defense, and that Aaron is really explosive and has firmly taken control of the 6th man on the wing, and that his shot is looking real nice.

Nick Ward has grown an inch apparently, now closer to 6’10 and they say he’s in the best shape he’s ever been in. Cash is looking good. Haven’t really heard much about anyone else.

Reactions: Toast.

Early reports are that everyone has gotten stronger, taller, more athletic, improved their work ethic and learned how to shoot.

In all seriousness though redshirt frosh Aaron Wheeler definitely has the most helium I’d say. Sounds like he’s shooting really well to go along with his plus athleticism.

From reports Maryland should start:
Cowan
Ayala
Wiggins
Sticks
Bruno

With Morsell as the first man off the bench or if needed for defense

Turge will start:
Cowan
Morsell
Wiggins
Bruno
Bender

Turge will be fired in 268 days

Cowan
Ayala
Wiggins
Sticks
Bruno

Turge will start:
Cowan
Morsell
Wiggins
Bruno
Bender

I know this feeling very well. Its a great feeling when it finally does happen.

Cowan
Ayala
Wiggins
Sticks
Bruno

With Morsell

This is basically Michigan States elite big lineup from last year
The comparisons aren't perfect but:
Bruno - Nick Ward
Jalen Smith is a JJJ clone
Aaron Wiggins Miles Bridges
Cowan Cassius
only Ayala is the next Carsen Edwards (seriously look up his videos)instead of being an inefficient chucker on offense like Langford.

Maryland's recruiting class this year may very well go down as one of the best in this conference the past 10 years.

Id normally chalk up a team this talented as the overwhelming conference favorite but Turge gonna Turge

From the MSU camp, our best 2 Freshmen right now are Aaron Henry and Foster Loyer. Said Fosters shot is really clean and he can hold his own on defense, and that Aaron is really explosive and has firmly taken control of the 6th man on the wing, and that his shot is looking real nice.

Nick Ward has grown an inch apparently, now closer to 6’10 and they say he’s in the best shape he’s ever been in. Cash is looking good. Haven’t really heard much about anyone else.

I've read that Cash has really worked on his defense and is the leader of the team. Ward hitting jumpers from 15-18' and looking in better shape. Xavier Tillman supposedly lost weight / added muscle, was hitting from 3.

Freshman, Loyer shooting well but defense unsure because he's only guarding Hoiberg and Washington (walk on). Bingham very skinny. Gabe Brown very athletic. Kithier surprised with his shooting, knows defense is key to getting minutes. Not much said about Henry

Last edited:
Reactions: Toast.
43. Justin Jackson (Maryland) - Orlando Magic (trade)
48. Keita Bates-Diop (OSU) - Minnesota Timberwoves
I feel like I have a decent handle on the NBA game and this blows my mind.
Congrats to Vince Edwards, I thought he'd eventually end up spending some time in the league (probably still starts in G League), but not drafted. Also, you forgot Kevin Huerter.
P shocked he got drafted. As a very good all around guy w/ no elite skill and no true position, I did not expect him to get drafted.
Ward hitting jumpers from 15-18'
Excellent. I'm going to encourage him to take a shitload of those per game.

A lot of the off-season progression talk never comes to fruition, but I still love reading it.

For Purdue, the wild cards are Wheeler's impact and Haarms' jumper. I'm hoping Wheeler can fill a role like Livers but with a little more production.

A lot of the off-season progression talk never comes to fruition, but I still love reading it.

For Purdue, the wild cards are Wheeler's impact and Haarms' jumper. I'm hoping Wheeler can fill a role like Livers but with a little more production.

I would add Eastern’s FT shooting too. If he shot 75% that would make an enormous difference. Any idea how he shot them in HS?

I would add Eastern’s FT shooting too. If he shot 75% that would make an enormous difference. Any idea how he shot them in HS?
Don't disagree, I guess I'm just assuming minimal improvement there.

I don't think it was trash. I know one poster we could ask... :confused:

And Eastern's development, and his mother's.

Reactions: SNU0821
I'll reiterate: Let. Them. Shoot.

Easier said than done, obviously.

Yeah the hope is a lot of driving to the rim...or MASSIVE improvement in that part of their game

I like keeping the mismatch of Morgan though. He excelled driving against 5s

Reactions: SNU0821
And Eastern's development, and his mother's.
I feel like he'll be a 7 pt / 6 rb / 2.5 assist (guy while being a good defender) even without shooting improvement. He develops the FT or 3 pt shot (please forget the mid-range, harder to develop and worse statistically) and we're in a good spot...I'm just not optimistic there.
Yeah the hope is a lot of driving to the rim...or MASSIVE improvement in that part of their game

I like keeping the mismatch of Morgan though. He excelled driving against 5s
Agree that his value is very high at the 5. Plus I think him at the 4 w/ DD at the 5 adds to that whole shooting thing that I'm convinced will be an achilles heel.

I feel like he'll be a 7 pt / 6 rb / 2.5 assist (guy while being a good defender) even without shooting improvement. He develops the FT or 3 pt shot (please forget the mid-range, harder to develop and worse statistically) and we're in a good spot...I'm just not optimistic there.

Agree that his value is very high at the 5. Plus I think him at the 4 w/ DD at the 5 adds to that whole shooting thing that I'm convinced will be an achilles heel.

Don’t think we will see much DD this year if I had to guess

Cowan
Ayala
Wiggins
Sticks
Bruno

Turge will start:
Cowan
Morsell
Wiggins
Bruno
Bender

I don't think Turge is a good coach, but he is a good recruiter. With that said, I think it is a coin flip if Maryland can do better with a new coach.

While Turge has been sporadic, he has won about 2/3 of his games at Maryland. That looks like a 10 seed per season on paper, but when you rank records during his tenure, my guess is Maryland is probably around #25 in the country. I guess I see Maryland as being a 20-25 type program with the max being cusp top 10 (see Michigan right now) and the min being around 40.

I see a lot of similarities between Maryland and Illinois from a historical perspective. Illini were a borderline top 20 program seven years ago, thought they would do much better without Weber and now are...top 50ish?

Turge may not have a title like Gary Williams, but he does have a slight uptick in winning percentage. Not a given Terps get better without him.

I don't think Turge is a good coach, but he is a good recruiter. With that said, I think it is a coin flip if Maryland can do better with a new coach.

While Turge has been sporadic, he has won about 2/3 of his games at Maryland. That looks like a 10 seed per season on paper, but when you rank records during his tenure, my guess is Maryland is probably around #25 in the country. I guess I see Maryland as being a 20-25 type program with the max being cusp top 10 (see Michigan right now) and the min being around 40.

I see a lot of similarities between Maryland and Illinois from a historical perspective. Illini were a borderline top 20 program seven years ago, thought they would do much better without Weber and now are...top 50ish?

Turge may not have a title like Gary Williams, but he does have a slight uptick in winning percentage. Not a given Terps get better without him.

23rvby.jpg

Did you seriously just say Turge might be better then Gary because of winning percentage? Jesus fvcking Christ, go read about the Bob Wade era at Maryland and how it pretty much hand cuffed Gary for his first 5 or so years.

23rvby.jpg

Did you seriously just say Turge might be better then Gary because of winning percentage? Jesus fvcking Christ, go read about the Bob Wade era at Maryland and how it pretty much hand cuffed Gary for his first 5 or so years.

Yeah, Gary was a real gem his last handful plus of years at Maryland.

When Gary left you were what? A top 20-25 program....which is pretty close to where you are now.

For a brief hiccup here or there Maryland has been a borderline top 10 program, but neither of those stints lasted more than a couple of years.

If Maryland canned Turge tomorrow, they would be unlikely to match Matt Painter's results the next ten years.

Let's not act like you are a peer of Arizona, Louisville, Syracuse, etc.

Yeah, Gary was a real gem his last handful plus of years at Maryland.

When Gary left you were what? A top 20-25 program....which is pretty close to where you are now.

For a brief hiccup here or there Maryland has been a borderline top 10 program, but neither of those stints lasted more than a couple of years.

If Maryland canned Turge tomorrow, they would be unlikely to match Matt Painter's results the next ten years.

Let's not act like you are a peer of Arizona, Louisville, Syracuse, etc.

Seriously though, go be ******ed at your home board. I don’t know why you added that last line out of the blue.

Don’t think we will see much DD this year if I had to guess
As an outsider looking in, I would think this roster is better constructed for a small-ball 5 like Morgan who at least forces defenses to respect him from the perimeter. Have to think Langford is better served by that situation which creates more space than an anchor in the middle like Davis. Also think Davis may be better as a high-efficiency, low usage guy like Haas was early in his Purdue career, than a big minutes guy running with the first unit.

Reactions: klize17 and SNU0821
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT