ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where I’m at. You’re betting on a 12 seed that added one good player? Ok
Sort of like betting on a 9 seed as a Top 5 team, that added one good player?

FTR, IU added two 5*'s in Malik Reneau and JHS.

How good will IU be? Dunno. But returning 90% of your scoring, rebounding, assist AND adding two 5*'s to that roster, isn't a bad start.

Sort of like betting on a 9 seed as a Top 5 team, that added one good player?

FTR, IU added two 5*'s in Malik Reneau and JHS.

How good will IU be? Dunno. But returning 90% of your scoring, rebounding, assist AND adding two 5*'s to that roster, isn't a bad start.
Who was a 9 seed

FgAivN0XoAAaGUB
We might go 0-whatever

Who was a 9 seed
Creighton....23-12 last year(12-7 in Big East). Some polls have them as high as #4. Easily could have lost in 1st round; OT win over SD State.

Don't get me wrong, I think Creighton could be really good. But to me ranking them #4, is no different than having IU at #13.

We might go 0-whatever
Meh-----solid chance at home vs Indiana State and Akron. That is if our butts ain't to sore from that opening season, name the final score, game vs Ohio State. My guess?

OSU----Duh.
Vs ISU----WIn
Vs UL---Probably a Loss.
Vs Akron---Win
@ MD---Loss
@ UM--Loss
Vs Rutgers----Meh, toss up. I'll give us win #2 and a maybe(UL)
@PSU---L
Vs Wisconsin--L
@ Illinois---L
Vs MSU---They'll probably be bad again---Won't matter. Close "L".
@ Purdue---We barely win there when good-----L.

Of course subject to change IF IU were to get an entire new staff, OL and QB... 🤣

Creighton....23-12 last year(12-7 in Big East). Some polls have them as high as #4. Easily could have lost in 1st round; OT win over SD State.

Don't get me wrong, I think Creighton could be really good. But to me ranking them #4, is no different than having IU at #13.
Yeah, people have said Creighton might be overrated as well. Definitely a prove it with both teams.

A couple of differences between IU and Creighton though:

Creighton entered February 12-7 (4-4) and proceeded to go 11-5 (8-3) the rest of the way.
IU entered February 16-5 (7-4) and proceeded to go 5-9 (2-7) the rest of the way.

IU added some nice freshmen, but they are still freshmen so big TBD on that front.

Creighton landed one of the 3 best transfers in the country in Summit League POY Baylor Scheierman. I think there are few concerns with his ability to transition to P5.

Yeah, people have said Creighton might be overrated as well. Definitely a prove it with both teams.

A couple of differences between IU and Creighton though:

Creighton entered February 12-7 (4-4) and proceeded to go 11-5 (8-3) the rest of the way.
IU entered February 16-5 (7-4) and proceeded to go 5-9 (2-7) the rest of the way.

IU added some nice freshmen, but they are still freshmen so big TBD on that front.

Creighton landed one of the 3 best transfers in the country in Summit League POY Baylor Scheierman. I think there are few concerns with his ability to transition to P5.
IU certainly stumbled at the end------but 5 of their final 9 games were vs Top 20 teams: #8 Purdue, #15 Wisconsin, #17 MSU, #18 Illinois and #22 OSU. Three of the 4 were on the road---PU, OSU and MSU. Bad loss vs Rutgers at home, and @ NW(the suspension game). Righted the ship I guess in the B10 tourney vs UM, Illinois and buzzer-beating loss to Iowa..

On the other hand...........

Creighton played 6-25 Georgetown twice...Butler(14-19), DePaul(15-16), St.John's(17-15), Seton Hall(21-11, 1st round), Marquette(19-13, 9 seed) and Xavier(NIT champs)...They did UConn twice in that stretch----but the Huskies were bounced in the 1st round by a 12 seed.

In other words, Creighton did go 8-3, but 5 of those wins came versus teams that did not make the NCAAT, and 4 were vs teams with losing records...

On the other side IU lost to 5 ranked teams, and 6 of their 7 losses came vs NCAAT teams...

Big diference there is schedules....

IU certainly stumbled at the end------but 5 of their final 9 games were vs Top 20 teams: #8 Purdue, #15 Wisconsin, #17 MSU, #18 Illinois and #22 OSU. Three of the 4 were on the road---PU, OSU and MSU. Bad loss vs Rutgers at home, and @ NW(the suspension game). Righted the ship I guess in the B10 tourney vs UM, Illinois and buzzer-beating loss to Iowa..

On the other hand...........

Creighton played 6-25 Georgetown twice...Butler(14-19), DePaul(15-16), St.John's(17-15), Seton Hall(21-11, 1st round), Marquette(19-13, 9 seed) and Xavier(NIT champs)...They did UConn twice in that stretch----but the Huskies were bounced in the 1st round by a 12 seed.

In other words, Creighton did go 8-3, but 5 of those wins came versus teams that did not make the NCAAT, and 4 were vs teams with losing records...

On the other side IU lost to 5 ranked teams, and 6 of their 7 losses came vs NCAAT teams...

Big diference there is schedules....
Too bad voters aren't diligent enough to dig that deep.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

Creighton is supremely overrated as well. Same with TCU.

Same with…

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Oh for ****’s sake
Tripling down currently😂

“I watch the product every week and the level of play in the B1G just is so far below the SEC, big 12, and even Pac 12.

I don't think you can justify two teams when the other conferences have gauntlets to get through.”

Because when I think of the Big 12 and PAC-12, I think gauntlets…

My B1G preview:

Illinois: Your yearly paper-Tiger. Will even look good during the season for long stretches. Will fold like a cheap lawn chair in the tournament. The streak of not making a sweet 16 since hurricane Katrina hit NOLA & Brokeback Mountain was released will continue.

IU: yet another winning off-season. No one does April through October quite like the Hoosiers. Will have a nice squad but the question for the 17th straight season: will they find the shooting to go along with their 5 & done talent in TJD?
they won’t

Iowa: led by a schizophrenic coach that insists on playing his talentless sons. Maybe this will be the season they crack the top 300 Kenpom defense.

Maryland: just the classic team that you never feel too good when your team wins & kind of feel like shit when they beat you. The ultimate litmus test for if you have a slightly below average team or a slightly above average team. Either way, your team isn’t going anywhere anyway so calm down.

Michigan: when will their yearly “break” come? The 35 year old douche lord Hunter Dickinson leads the charge once again for the clawless Wolverines.

Michigan State: The 67 year old Tom Izzo has to have 1 question that’s been eating at him a while. What will come next, another final 4 or the ever elusive erection? We’ll see if he truly has lost his fastball.

Minnesota: The last Minnesota player I could name is Amir Coffey. Just a hodge-podge of players that frankly no one cares about. I’m sure there’ll be some sweet farm animal costumes once again in the student section, the most memorable moments of any Minny season.

Nebraska: lol Nebraska. Fred Hoiberg has at least left his staple of playing fast-paced basketball. It’s shitty & poor fundamental basketball that doesn’t lead to any wins but hey, they go fast.

Northwestern: I’m not sure there’s a coach that does less with more than Collins. & when you don’t have good talent to begin with, it isn’t going to be pretty. See you in the cellar NW. At least you have Pat Fitzgerald though 🤭

Ohio State: you have football. Just leave the basketball to us and quit trying to be good at both, ya greedy fvcks. You have the worst home-atmosphere for bball games so ha! Take that.

Penn state: scrappy team that can beat you but it’s never a good win & always a terrible loss. Always have a stud that seemingly sticks around for 8 years that leads them to the NIT a couple of times. NIT or bust season in Happy Valley this season?

Purdue: Congrats on a top 5 finish in the conference and getting bounced by a double digit seed in the tournament once again. The ogres come and go but the lack of tournament success will remain forever.

Rutgers: Below average team that will get some big wins because they play in that cracker box of a gym that no one enjoys going to. Not because of the atmosphere, but because they suffer from minor claustrophobia & it’s hard to get excited playing against fvcking Rutgers.

Wisconsin: I don’t know what’s more sad, a dog dying or watching Wisconsin on offense.
definitely a dog dying, dogs are awesome. But watching Wisconsin on offense still fvcking sucks.
The Iowa football of B1G basketball, can’t wait.
The Hater’s Guide

Reactions: otte21
Tripling down currently😂

“I watch the product every week and the level of play in the B1G just is so far below the SEC, big 12, and even Pac 12.

I don't think you can justify two teams when the other conferences have gauntlets to get through.”

Because when I think of the Big 12 and PAC-12, I think gauntlets…

Michigan would finished second to last in the Big 12, only above Oklahoma.

Or is Oklahoma better now too? Hard to keep up.

Michigan would finished second to last in the Big 12, only above Oklahoma.

Or is Oklahoma better now too? Hard to keep up.
I’m praying we actually end up getting a power rankings from him, strictly for entertainment value at this point.

Remember if the Big Ten gets one team into the playoffs, Big 12 needs two more teams than us. So if Ohio St or Mich make it, the other 3 spots are for Big 12 teams only😂

I’m praying we actually end up getting a power rankings from him, strictly for entertainment value at this point.

Remember if the Big Ten gets one team into the playoffs, Big 12 needs two more teams than us. So if Ohio St or Mich make it, the other 3 spots are for Big 12 teams only😂
With Alabama having one loss already,and in all likelihood will face UGA in SEC title game,is there an outside chance BOTH OSU/UM get in? Say both enter the game unbeaten---and its a close game....Could an argument be made that OSU or UM's only loss is to the other, with it being a tight game? I know its hard to get a playoff bid w/o even making your conference title game, but if that is due to you being in the same division with another Top 5 team, its something IMO that should be considered....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT