ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.

19. Trey Kaufman-Renn, Purdue

Boilermakers die-hards may have wrung their hands raw over the point guard spot by the time the season rolls around, but, well, that’s a little too Inside Mackey for this exercise. The former top 50 recruit who missed his entire freshman season with a knee injury, who’s 6-9 with a theoretically multifaceted skill set that can provide Matt Painter some really intriguing lineup flexibility? Who is apparently healthy and ready to go for one of those seasons that feels like it could go a lot of different ways? Now we’re talking. That’s the stuff. Kaufman-Renn effectively did the Purdue developmental redshirt by default, and he becomes a high-leverage test case as to whether a season behind the curtain has him ahead of the curve … or if he’s going to play like a freshman, who needs actual-game seasoning to develop. Even Painter, in an early summer conversation, conceded that’s a wait-and-see deal. It’s also a very meaningful variable for a program looking to maintain its hard-won standing in the Big Ten’s upper echelon and national consciousness.

13. Kris Murray, Iowa

I’m reminded of a conversation in Fran McCaffery’s office last winter, when Iowa’s coach was revisiting the recruitment of then-emerging-All-American Keegan Murray. McCaffery noted one subtle advantage of Murray’s year at prep school: It ensured the program had the scholarship room to sign his twin brother, too, when it might not have a cycle earlier. And, lo, there’s Kris Murray, nicely positioned within the top 20 picks of The Athletic’s first 2023 NBA mock draft. Also? Kris Murray has started one college basketball game and didn’t average double-digit scoring in 2021-22. The projection, then, is fascinating. On a per-40 minute level, Murray averaged nearly 22 points and 9.5 rebounds as a sophomore. He shot nearly 39 percent from 3-point range. He posted the second-most Win Shares for Iowa (3.4), despite not even playing half of most games. His frame (6-8, 215) recommends him as a bonafide pro wing prospect, too. It’s not too far a cry from the evaluation one might have made about Keegan a year ago, after he posted 7.2 points in 18 minutes a game as a freshman. So could it be that simple? Could Iowa’s torch-pass go from Luka Garza to Keegan Murray to Kris Murray without a hitch? Or does 2022-23 unfold more like humdrum development from an unknown prospect into a nice basketball piece? Whatever shape Kris Murray’s third year takes, and how he handles having the spotlight all to himself, will have significant on- and off-court ramifications.

10. Jalen Hood-Schifino, Indiana

The Hoosiers are a Big Ten favorite in Mike Woodson’s second season. The Hoosiers also ranked 200th nationally in 3-point accuracy a year ago, precipitating an adjusted offensive efficiency (107.0) that ranked 95th in the country. Many of the same people who contributed to that effort are back, and they’re all old, which prompts the question of how much better you actually can expect old college players to get, and how much that impacts Indiana’s ability to in fact win the league. Jalen Hood-Schifino, however, is not old. He is a five-star freshman guard with a Big Ten-ready frame (6-6, 215) who should be able to create his own offense but also facilitate and, generally, alleviate the burden on others simply by being another viable threat. As for helping Indiana beyond the arc … well, best we can tell, in 18 games against high school competition, Hood-Schifino shot 27 percent from 3-point range for Monteverde Academy in 2021-22. That’s not overly auspicious. If he’s a better distance shooter than that, as Indiana’s staff would have us believe, he may not alone solve one of the glaring complications for this group. But it’d be a pretty big help.

1. Zach Edey, Purdue

What would it look like if the most outrageous physical specimen in men’s college basketball played more than half the time? We’re about to find out. After two seasons in a timeshare, the 7-4, 285-pound Edey will assume the bulk of Purdue’s center minutes and put prorated statistics to the ultimate test. To review: Edey posted per-40-minute averages of 30.3 points and 16.2 rebounds as a sophomore. He only actually averaged 19 minutes of floor time, of course, and how his frame and cardio and production hold up to a substantially greater pounding will be fascinating. (Foul trouble is always a factor, too, but Edey averaged 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes as a sophomore, two less than he did as a freshman. So that might be trending toward less of a concern.) Earlier this year, when I asked Matt Painter if Edey could be a 30-minutes-a-night guy, Purdue’s coach answered unambiguously: “Sure.” Last season, in less than half the available minutes, Edey’s 5.4 Win Shares led a Boilermakers squad that also featured a future NBA Draft lottery pick. No pro-rating required to interpret what that portends. If everyone is right, and Edey is more than ready for more, the night-to-night numbers could be giant.

Yeah dude haha. Some of the stuff I hear about him from caddies on Tour Junkies is really funny.
Oh yeah I’ve heard those same stories from DB & Pat lol hilarious that their number 1 apparel item they sell is their Si Woooo shirt too.

Oh yeah I’ve heard those same stories from DB & Pat lol hilarious that their number 1 apparel item they sell is their Si Woooo shirt too.

I was a guest picker on one of their shows once. I was in their “inner circle” of 8 members for awhile when I was really involved. I volunteered to be replaced because I stopped playing so much DK.

A couple of my favorite stories:

-I forget what tournament it was but it was in the mountains. Si Woo hit a bad shot with a 7 iron on a par three and threw his club off the mountain. He played the rest of the tournament with no 7 iron.

-He was in second place in a tournament. He shanked a tee shot on like hole 9 Sunday afternoon. He said “Si Woo go home” and wanted to withdraw. His caddie was like dude no lol. We can still take second or at worst third.

A couple of my favorite stories:

-I forget what tournament it was but it was in the mountains. Si Woo hit a bad shot with a 7 iron on a par three and threw his club off the mountain. He played the rest of the tournament with no 7 iron.

-He was in second place in a tournament. He shanked a tee shot on like hole 9 Sunday afternoon. He said “Si Woo go home” and wanted to withdraw. His caddie was like dude no lol. We can still take second or at worst third.
“We withdraw, we go home” lmao. He also broke his putter at the fvcking Masters when he was only 3 shots behind the lead in the 2nd round & had to finish putting with his 3 wood.

He always plays so aggressive too, just a fun ass guy to cheer for.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I would never. Seriously. Weed is expensive.
sf4HpTJ.gif

Reactions: ConvenientParking
We are definitely a volleyball school. Football and basketball distant 2nd and 3rd.

This is going to be one of those years where Purdue goes 7-5 and we feel like we should be 10-2. Just too many dumb penalties and dumb mistakes. Ugh

Sounds like no Jayden Reed for us today. Just been really fvcked by injuries this year. Our best LB and Safety out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT