ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see how expectations change as the playoffs expand
I would imagine that would change the expectations because the barrier to entry is completely different. Their outlook now is needing to beat OSU to have any chance at the playoffs. Just by doing that, it’s a successful season because as has been noted in this thread, osu is one of the title or bust teams.

With the playoff expansion, there will be more of a path for teams like Michigan more often, which will raise the expectations of their fans within the playoffs.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I would imagine that would change the expectations because the barrier to entry is completely different. Their outlook now is needing to beat OSU to have any chance at the playoffs. Just by doing that, it’s a successful season because as has been noted in this thread, osu is one of the title or bust teams.

With the playoff expansion, there will be more of a path for teams like Michigan more often, which will raise the expectations of their fans within the playoffs.
It’s crazy that the 4 team playoffs actually made less teams feel like they could adequately compete for a title.

With more teams in the tourney, hopefully the talent will disperse some.

I’m happy with Michigan being back to a top 10 program. I’m not greedy or delusional.
Michigan seems like one that will benefit the most from playoff expansion.

Being second best in a conference isn’t rewarding at the moment, outside of the SEC obviously.

Michigan seems like one that will benefit the most from playoff expansion.

Being second best in a conference isn’t rewarding at the moment, outside of the SEC obviously.

I expects 3/4 B1G teams to get in annually. It will diminish some rivalry games but should make many others more exciting and meaningful.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
Emoni Bates is in jail. The charge not yet reported, but he is currently in the Washtenaw county jail system.

Went from the next LeBron to being locked up on and off the court.

Emoni Bates is in jail. The charge not yet reported, but he is currently in the Washtenaw county jail system.

Went from the next LeBron to being locked up on and off the court.
Reporters should stop doing this. He didn’t get worse really, he just was never that great and everyone caught up to him. It’s fücked up to put that title on him, whether the intention was for clicks or not. Obviously I know emonis parental unit has contributed greatly to the sidetracking of his development too.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
I expects 3/4 B1G teams to get in annually. It will diminish some rivalry games but should make many others more exciting and meaningful.
Those elimination games between two conference foes in the tournament will be awesome.

While this should theoretically close the gap between the second best team each year and Ohio State, you guys will likely be in the tournament every single year

Those elimination games between two conference foes in the tournament will be awesome.

While this should theoretically close the gap between the second best team each year and Ohio State, you guys will likely be in the tournament every single year

If you look at last year’s final rankings, if it had been a 12 team field Ohio State would have had a potential 4 game stretch that would have looked like this..

Home vs Michigan State
@ Michigan
Home vs Michigan State again
Neutral site vs Michigan

Groundhogs Day

If you look at last year’s final rankings, if it had been a 12 team field Ohio State would have had a potential 4 game stretch that would have looked like this..

Home vs Michigan State
@ Michigan
Home vs Michigan State again
Neutral site vs Michigan

Groundhogs Day
Feel like they’d try to prevent immediate rematches within conference for the playoffs. But even if they didn’t, those matchups would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
Looks like Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn is Illinois’ to lose at this point.

Thank you Purdue, for not being fans of NIL and all.

Not shocked by this, thanks for passing along. You guys pitching the PG role to him?

Would be a good pick up from a talent perspective, gonna be interesting to see his career play out. A kid that has played at that many HSs and decommitted in the recruiting process just doesn't sound like a one college kid to me.

Reactions: B1G_Fan

Lol if you think this is primarily about NIL. Apparently his family makes Nojel’s mom seem tame by comparison. Good luck!

Last edited:
Not shocked by this, thanks for passing along. You guys pitching the PG role to him?

Would be a good pick up from a talent perspective, gonna be interesting to see his career play out. A kid that has played at that many HSs and decommitted in the recruiting process just doesn't sound like a one college kid to me.
I’d assume we are pitching him playing time as the back-up PG next year. Neither of our other freshman guards (outside of Skyy) have shown the ideal instincts for the position and will likely be 2’s at the college level.

Definitely has the talent. Just needs to get away from his family, which is why getting out WL may be good for him

Lol if you think this is primarily about NIL. Apparently his family makes Nojel’s mom seem tame by comparison. Good luck!
Family is a concern, but our staff doesn’t think it’ll be as big of a deal once he gets to Champaign.

We have had Mark Smith, Adam Miller, and Andre Curbelo all transfer out after being highly rated recruits under BU. Seems dealing with inflated egos and overbearing parents is just part of the game.

I’d assume we are pitching him playing time as the back-up PG next year. Neither of our other freshman guards (outside of Skyy) have shown the ideal instincts for the position and will likely be 2’s at the college level.

Definitely has the talent. Just needs to get away from his family, which is why getting out WL may be good for him
I feel like under normal circumstances, Purdue wouldn’t have recruited him if he wasn’t from WL. Kind of one of those situations where it looks bad if you don’t recruit a stud from your backyard.

I feel like under normal circumstances, Purdue wouldn’t have recruited him if he wasn’t from WL. Kind of one of those situations where it looks bad if you don’t recruit a stud from your backyard.
According to our insiders, DGL is a very solid kid, which makes the situation around him undeniably worse as an outsider looking in.

And if it goes south going into year 2, Illinois will likely cut him loose quickly.

Win-win for us, either he likes his role moving forward or we have a starting spot to pitch to the next Ayo-like guard from Chicago in Bryce Heard

According to our insiders, DGL is a very solid kid, which makes the situation around him undeniably worse as an outsider looking in.

And if it goes south going into year 2, Illinois will likely cut him loose quickly.

Win-win for us, either he likes his role moving forward or we have a starting spot to pitch to the next Ayo-like guard from Chicago in Bryce Heard
Feels like a better situation for illinois than Purdue.

Like you said - further from his family so potentially less disruptive.

and if it goes south, it’s far less messy to cut bait with some dude from a state over than a hometown kid.

there are some wild stories about the family. My brother actually played AAU for the dad back in the day and has some funny stories as well.

Reactions: boiler1987

and if it goes south, it’s far less messy to cut bait with some dude from a state over than a hometown kid.

there are some wild stories about the family. My brother actually played AAU for the dad back in the day and has some funny stories as well.
Care to share any of those stories?

Yeah, Illinois will have a much less sticky situation than if he’s at Purdue and isn’t happy after year 1.

I have heard mixed things about the dad. His mom on the otherhand... well let’s just hope his dad has the majority of the sway

I get you’re trying to troll but yes Ohio State has gotten to a point where they need to win to be successful.
troll? huh? not at all----i just think your take is stupid. OSU is at a point that the only thing that you'd deem as a successful season, is winning the national title?

OK there, Kentucky.....

since the cfp has been in place, 8 years, OSU has played in 4 of them---only once was OSU a favorite(2020)---lost to Clemson. Not sure how that equates to , "only winning the title", equals success....I get it--OSU is a perrenial Top 5 team....with title expectations every year. But lots of teams fit that bill. Now if you were a Bama or Clemson fan? Yeah, I'd get the argument----evem UGA. But osu? Not really sold. I expect OSU to be in contention every year, sure. But still don't see anyone honstly outside of Bama/Clemson being able to realistically say anything but a title is a success...

troll? huh? not at all----i just think your take is stupid. OSU is at a point that the only thing that you'd deem as a successful season, is winning the national title?

OK there, Kentucky.....

since the cfp has been in place, 8 years, OSU has played in 4 of them---only once was OSU a favorite(2020)---lost to Clemson. Not sure how that equates to , "only winning the title", equals success....I get it--OSU is a perrenial Top 5 team....with title expectations every year. But lots of teams fit that bill. Now if you were a Bama or Clemson fan? Yeah, I'd get the argument----evem UGA. But osu? Not really sold. I expect OSU to be in contention every year, sure. But still don't see anyone honstly outside of Bama/Clemson being able to realistically say anything but a title is a success...
Ohio St has made the playoffs 4 times, won 3 games, and a title.

Georgia has 2 appearances, won 3 games, and a title.

Why would they have lower expectations than Georgia?

Only teams with a better resume than OSU are Bama and Clemson.

Ohio St has made the playoffs 4 times, won 3 games, and a title.

Georgia has 2 appearances, won 3 games, and a title.

Why would they have lower expectations than Georgia?

Only teams with a better resume than OSU are Bama and Clemson.
I said maybe, even Goergia. I say UGA b/c the only team better than them seemingly, is the team they are having to beat , at times, to even make the playoffs. Georgia IMO would have more appearances if they weren't having to deal with alabama every year in the sect game...or lsu of years past....or auburn. OSU basically gets a pass in conference championship game---opposed to uga haing to deal with alabama....

In other words, I think OSU's expectations, via the "stats", are simply due to them having a much easier path.

So its why i said Bama, Clemson, "even UGA"---I didn't mention UGA along with Bama/Clemson.

I said maybe, even Goergia. I say UGA b/c the only team better than them seemingly, is the team they are having to beat , at times, to even make the playoffs. Georgia IMO would have more appearances if they weren't having to deal with alabama every year in the sect game...or lsu of years past....or auburn. OSU basically gets a pass in conference championship game---opposed to uga haing to deal with alabama....

In other words, I think OSU's expectations, via the "stats", are simply due to them having a much easier path.

So its why i said Bama, Clemson, "even UGA"---I didn't mention UGA along with Bama/Clemson.
The SEC right now is the only conference you can lose a conference title game and still make it in the Final 4. So it’s a blessing and a curse.

No way Georgia has higher expectations given until last year they hadn’t won a title in 40+ years. At least on a year to year basis, this year expectations are probably pretty similar.

The SEC right now is the only conference you can lose a conference title game and still make it in the Final 4. So it’s a blessing and a curse.

No way Georgia has higher expectations given until last year they hadn’t won a title in 40+ years. At least on a year to year basis, this year expectations are probably pretty similar.
SEC has played in cfp 10 times.....have won 5 of the 8 titles: Bama(3), LSU and Georgia. In other words, for a team like UGA, if your goal is to win the SEC, your goal might as well be to win the natty----the conference is just that good. cannot say the same for any other conference. No other conference championship game has the opportunity to also be the national championship game---although maybe the revival of UM could change that. And before the playoff, is was even more difficult with the BCS....especially if you were an sec team, dealing with just not alabama, but some very, very good lsu, auburn, florida and tenn teams...

Since 1998, inception of the BCS, to now, the cfp era, OSU has 2 titles to georgia's 1----but that, IMO, is more so b/c of the conference discpreancy----there have been years where an sec team, including uga, would have won the title, except for that one program being in the way----Alabama.

just a different animal imo----i mean since 1998, 6 sec teams have won a title: bama, tenn, fla, lsu, uga and auburn....JMO, but in the sec if winning the conference is your goal, well winning the natty goes hand in hand with that..

WOW. Look at the big brain on this guy^

1dx4d0.jpg
Doctorate in weak flame attempts.

And that picture of me is dated. I grew my hair out to a skullet during the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT