ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
People still use bowl games as a barometer?

He’s under .500 at Purdue and even a Purdue fan said .550 is what solid what be.

It's like people forget how bad things were before he took over. Do we need to provide a quick reminder how bad Hazell was?

He went for the knockout punch. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 1 or 2 more first downs and the game is over. Penn State not having timeouts wasn't going to stop them from scoring there at the end our defense was clearly out of gas.

Up 3 and getting two possessions under 6 minutes to burn clock and Penn State still got the ball back with over 2 minutes and 2 timeouts.

And you think that’s a great coaching job. At some point it’s okay for honest criticism. I’ve given Jim plenty.

i didnt even realize purdue was playing....****ing meds have me upside down....plus being home all the time, i forget what day it is... 🤣

It's like people forget how bad things were before he took over. Do we need to provide a quick reminder how bad Hazell was?
Seems like I've heard this somewhere before....................................

;)

Because they both had 9 win seasons?
Don't recall Miller only winning 9 games....Still, pretty funny. I think the correlation is-----both came to their respective schools with high expectations, b/c of success at mid-major jobs, only to fall short of expectations. Really, there's a lot of similarities...

Don't recall Miller only winning 9 games....Still, pretty funny. I think the correlation is-----both came to their respective schools with high expectations, b/c of success at mid-major jobs, only to fall short of expectations. Really, there's a lot of similarities...
Brohm hasn't fallen short of expectations for many Purdue fans. Hell, most thought it would take him 3-4 years just to get back to respectability given the Hazell fiasco.

Brohm hasn't fallen short of expectations for many Purdue fans. Hell, most thought it would take him 3-4 years just to get back to respectability given the Hazell fiasco.
I was just off what was said in regards to what is deemed as a solid FB coach at Purdue.....He did go 7-6 in his first year, with a bowl win. Followed by three straight losing seasons----then a 9 win season last year. I think a lot of Purdue fans after that first year had much different expectations. I could be wrong.

I was just off what was said in regards to what is deemed as a solid FB coach at Purdue.....He did go 7-6 in his first year, with a bowl win. Followed by three straight losing seasons----then a 9 win season last year. I think a lot of Purdue fans after that first year had much different expectations. I could be wrong.
I guess that depends on the definition of "a lot". There is certainly a vocal minority that whines every time we lose. But they are far outnumbered by those that are pleased with the progress Brohm has made.

Does he make in game errors? Of course. Every coach in America does. Will I nitpick every one like Hail seems to want me to? Nope.

Yeah....ok....i guess...i agree....

Fble-74X0AAHNH5
Even though we were ranked 12th (not 10th), I think I’m inclined to believe that quote is from an Illinois coach this past year, lol. Browsed RU’s seasons on Wikipedia, and our loss there last year fits the bill the best. Could also be MSU last year (#13), but I’ve seen RU fans say the Illinois game was the loudest RAC crowd they’ve seen.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Weird to completely discount postseason in one sport while relying on it as a foundation for any discussion in another, no?

You’re more than welcome to put alot of stock into going 6-6 and then beating a bad Arizona team in the “Foster Farms Bowl”. I don’t think that means much and certainly not comparable to being one of the final 8 of 16 teams in college basketball.

If college football was seeded like college basketball Purdue would’ve missed the tournament or got throttled by a top 10 team in their bowl game. Instead they let teams who both suck play each other in a tallest midget game.

I guess that depends on the definition of "a lot". There is certainly a vocal minority that whines every time we lose. But they are far outnumbered by those that are pleased with the progress Brohm has made.

Does he make in game errors? Of course. Every coach in America does. Will I nitpick every one like Hail seems to want me to? Nope.

Nitpick every one? Hyperbole much? I think this is the first time in 6 seasons I’ve called you guys out for not acknowledging poor decisions.

I’m not asking you to nitpick every decision, just admit that he tried to get to cute in the 4th quarter last night.

You: Just winning 55% of your games at Purdue is enough to be a solid coach.

Me: Brohm is 28-30, 48%.

You: ………….

People still use bowl games as a barometer?

He’s under .500 at Purdue and even a Purdue fan said .550 is what solid what be.

I think any barometer would be a personal preference.

Winning two bowl games at Purdue in 6 years is better or as good as what Saban did at MSU, Harbaugh at UM, Bielema at Wisconsin/Illinois, Cooper at Ohio State and more.

You’re more than welcome to put alot of stock into going 6-6 and then beating a bad Arizona team in the “Foster Farms Bowl”. I don’t think that means much and certainly not comparable to being one of the final 8 of 16 teams in college basketball.

If college football was seeded like college basketball Purdue would’ve missed the tournament or got throttled by a top 10 team in their bowl game. Instead they let teams who both suck play each other in a tallest midget game.
Is that different than finishing .500 in conference and then beating a Colorado St and Tennessee?

7-6 year one.....
6-7
4-8
2-4
9-4

0-1 so far this year.

im not trying to be that guy----but could you imagine your post being that of an IU fan? You dudes would rip us to shreds..

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I think any barometer would be a personal preference.

Winning two bowl games at Purdue in 6 years is better or as good as what Saban did at MSU, Harbaugh at UM, Bielema at Wisconsin/Illinois, Cooper at Ohio State and more.
Do what??

First off, Bielema won 2 conference/divisin, whatever titles....constant Top 25...NO losing seasons...7 bowl games....4, 10+ win seasons....

Dude.....

I'am-----so explain? 😁
I'll respond to you because you at least aren't trolling like Hail is. Here is my thought on Jeff Brohm's tenure. First some context.

Darrel Hazell had the following recruiting ranks in his tenure:

2013 - 61st (13th in B1G)
2014 - 70th (13th)
2015 - 67th (14th)
2016 - 80th (14th)

He was arguably the 2nd worst coach in Big Ten history (No one will ever top Rick Venturi) and decimated the talent level. In basketball, a new coach can build a talent base fairly quickly because it just takes a couple of great recruits to get the momentum going and you can overcome depth challenges. In football, it's much more difficult IMO.

That Brohm was able to go 7-6 and 6-7 in his first two years was amazing given the hand he was dealt. In his 3rd year, he had started building the talent base but depth was sorely lacking. So when Purdue lost their starting QB (Elijah Sindelar) and All-American WR (Rondale Moore) on the same play in the 4th game of the season, that was just too much to overcome. Sindelar was playing well and we immediately turned to a true freshman to lead the team and he was without his #1 weapon. Given that context, I give Brohm some rope for that season. 2020 was that stupid short COVID year. Damn near a throwaway season for me. And last year was obviously pretty damn good.

This year is just getting started and we lost in the last minute to arguably the most talented team we will play.

If people want to be upset with Brohm, have at it. I don't always agree with his decisions but in the grand scheme of things, I think he's been pretty solid given the hand he's been dealt.

Last edited:
I'll respond to you because you at least aren't trolling like Hail is. Here is my thought on Jeff Brohm's tenure. First some context.

Darrel Hazell had the following recruiting ranks in his tenure:

2013 - 61st (13th in B1G)
2014 - 70th (13th)
2015 - 67th (14th)
2016 - 80th (14th)

He was arguably the 2nd worst coach in Big Ten history (No one will ever top Rick Venturi) and decimated the talent level. In basketball, a new coach can build a talent base fairly quickly because it just takes a couple of great recruits to get the momentum going and you can overcome depth challenges. In football, it's much more difficult IMO.

That Brohm was able to go 7-6 and 6-7 in his first two years was amazing given the hand he was dealt. In his 3rd year, he had started building the talent base but depth was sorely lacking. So when Purdue lost their starting QB (Elijah Sindelar) and All-American WR (Rondale Moore) on the same play in the 4th game of the season, that was just too much to overcome. Sindelar was playing well and we immediately turned to a true freshman to lead the team and he was without his #1 weapon. Given that context, I give Brohm some rope for that season. 2020 was that stupid short COVID year. Damn near a throwaway season for me. And last year was obviously pretty damn good.

This year is just getting started and we lost in the last minute to arguably the most talented team we will play.

If people want to be upset with Brohm, have at it. I don't always disagree with his decisions but in the grand scheme of things, I think he's been pretty solid given the hand he's been dealt.
Fair enough.......

Hopefully we dont get embarrassed by Illinois at home tonight. No idea what to expect---or how the hell we are even favored..

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT