ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Was a great experience. 2nd row behind the hoop next to the Michigan band. Michigan is 1-4 in basketball games I’ve been to and some of them have been crushing.

Badger game where WI hit a half court shot to send it to over time.

Badger game when Michigan was 19-0 (I think) and a win would’ve put them #1 in the AP poll for the first time in my fandom.

Northwestern game where Michigan was 15 point favorites and lost by 10. Got a speeding ticket on the way home. That was Michigan’s only loss in March and February that season I believe. The team goes to the national championship but loses the northwestern game I go to.

MSU in the big ten championship game despite having a 5 point lead with a few minutes left IIRC.

Brutal.

Glad we could help. Twice.

That was the best game of the young year, no question. Fun, fun matchup. Couple thoughts:

-Every time I see Xavier Tillman I keep thinking he looks like a younger, more athletic Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
-Myles Powell gets buckets. Man! Dude can carry his team on his back much like Carsen Edwards.
-Romario Gill looks 7000 times better than the last time I saw him.
-Malik Hall just earned himself a spot in the starting lineup. Gotta like his ability to score from all over the court.

That was the best game of the young year, no question. Fun, fun matchup. Couple thoughts:

-Every time I see Xavier Tillman I keep thinking he looks like a younger, more athletic Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
-Myles Powell gets buckets. Man! Dude can carry his team on his back much like Carsen Edwards.
-Malik Hall just earned himself a spot in the starting lineup. Gotta like his ability to score from all over the court.
Agree about the Hall thing. Kithier is a good player but he needs to be our backup center, as we really don’t have one.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Carsen edwards scored ten points in the 4th quarter alone to help lead the celtics to victory over the wizards. They now sit at an nba best 9-1 record.

#BetterThanRomeo

Reactions: Sparty_0n

Willard must not have wanted Izzo to game plan for Powell. The initial reports seemed bad. I didn't even include the Michigan State/Seton Hall game in the Weekly Pick 'Em because I was certain he wasn't going to play. Here's the headline from CBS Sports...

powell-injury.jpg

S3Cbiua_d.jpg

I will say Tilman appears to struggle a bit inside against guys that are a lot taller and lengthier than him. If he was a legit 6’10 he would be in the NBA but I think he’s like 6’7 maybe 6’8. He’s a 4 in the NBA and needs better skill offensively away from the paint area to play at the next level imo

Reactions: MGC_07
I will say Tilman appears to struggle a bit inside against guys that are a lot taller and lengthier than him. If he was a legit 6’10 he would be in the NBA but I think he’s like 6’7 maybe 6’8. He’s a 4 in the NBA and needs better skill offensively away from the paint area to play at the next level imo

True, but MSU needs him to play the 5 this year. He's our biggest guy (other than string-Bingham)

lol truth. Overlooked this post from earlier. Teske has won more NCAAT games in the last two years (7) than Iowa has in Teske's lifetime (6).
no Teske HAS NOT WON MORE the correct term is HE HAS BEEN PART OF THOSE WINNING TEAMS and nothing more

you give way more credit than he deserves and by doing so you are slapping the other Michigan players in the face.

KenPom rankings as of 11-15-19:

1. MSU
8. OSU
9. Purdue

17. Maryland

27. Michigan

32. PSU
35. Indiana

46. Illinois
49. Wisconsin

52. Iowa

69. Rutgers

78. Minnesota

94. Northwestern

Reactions: KisteK and Jaycg15
The way i view the conference right now, a power rankings if you will:

MSU
OSU
Maryland
Michigan
Purdue
Indiana
PSU
Wisconin
Illinois
Iowa
Rutgers
Minnesota
Northwestern
Nebraska

Looks good. Preseason I thought the gap between MSU and the rest of the conference was huge (even without Langford) but now I think the gap is smaller.

Reactions: SNU0821
no Teske HAS NOT WON MORE the correct term is HE HAS BEEN PART OF THOSE WINNING TEAMS and nothing more

you give way more credit than he deserves and by doing so you are slapping the other Michigan players in the face.

If you and I were having this discussion in public and Zavier Simpson and Charles Matthews overheard it, I don't think they'd be offended. Odds are, they'd probably give me a high-five. At any rate, Teske is one of the best defenders in the country. It's not surprising that every publication I could find rated Teske higher. Every. Single. One. But sure, let's pretend that the whole world just hates Iowa.

Here are all of the preseason rankings I could find for the two players...

Teske
Three Man Weave: #34
NBC Sports- #65
CBS Sports- #66
Making The Madness- #69
SB Nation- #69
Athlon- #97

Garza
Making The Madness- #75
NBC Sports- #84
CBS Sports- Not Ranked
SB Nation- Not Ranked
Three Man Weave: Not Ranked
Athlon- Not Ranked

Looks good. Preseason I thought the gap between MSU and the rest of the conference was huge (even without Langford) but now I think the gap is smaller.

Once Langford was ruled out, I didn't believe there was some huge gap (granted UM and OSU look a bit better than I thought they would and you guys still dont have Wagner back).

MSU always had an issue with not having that true big body at center and who would pick up the slack scoring wise with Langford out. Langford was Winstons running mate. Both are lethal. But now MSU truly only has guard that is lethal right now. Whats nice to see for MSU is that our bench is better than I thought with Hall, Brown and Bingham. It will be scoring by committee to pick up the slack from Langford being out.

I would also agree that being a fan of another team in the B1G, after watching MSU play, they are a bit more vulnerable than what some thought pre season.

Once Langford was ruled out, I didn't believe there was some huge gap (granted UM and OSU look a bit better than I thought they would and you guys still dont have Wagner back).

MSU always had an issue with not having that true big body at center and who would pick up the slack scoring wise with Langford out. Langford was Winstons running mate. Both are lethal. But now MSU truly only has guard that is lethal right now. Whats nice to see for MSU is that our bench is better than I thought with Hall, Brown and Bingham. It will be scoring by committee to pick up the slack from Langford being out.

I would also agree that being a fan of another team in the B1G, after watching MSU play, they are a bit more vulnerable than what some thought pre season.

Who are you and what did you do with the real SpartanJD?

Msu is a back end top 10 team without Langford. With Langford I felt they certainly had merit to being number one, but not by the overwhelming margin in preseason.

Seton Hall is high in the polls, but only 19 on Kenpom and 32 on Torvik. That was a nice win last night regardless though.

Michigan is basically one (or two depending on Langford's health) high level players behind MSU. That is why I felt Michigan would be #1 in preseason and MSU at #2 back in late March. Then Michigan lost Poole and Iggy and Beilein and looked like a borderline top 25 team entering the year with Franz and Wilson being a wash.

I see a lot of washes between the M/MSU roster with the latter having a little bit better if you look one on one....

Winston over Simpson
Ahrens - Eli - even (Eli looks good so far)
Henry/Hall - Livers/Franz- even
Tillman slightly over Teske
Bingham/Kithier - Johns/Castleton - even
Loyer under DDJ

Now where MSU has a big advantage is in Rocket Watts over Nunez/Bajema. Not to mention Gabe Brown as well for a few minutes.

Michigan looks better IMO than where they were in preseason, probably a #20 team once Franz comes to play.

I expect the M-MSU game in Crisler to look similar to last night's game at Seton Hall if Langford is not available.

ADVERTISEMENT