ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Msu is a back end top 10 team without Langford. With Langford I felt they certainly had merit to being number one, but not by the overwhelming margin in preseason.

Seton Hall is high in the polls, but only 19 on Kenpom and 32 on Torvik. That was a nice win last night regardless though.

Michigan is basically one (or two depending on Langford's health) high level players behind MSU. That is why I felt Michigan would be #1 in preseason and MSU at #2 back in late March. Then Michigan lost Poole and Iggy and Beilein and looked like a borderline top 25 team entering the year with Franz and Wilson being a wash.

I see a lot of washes between the M/MSU roster with the latter having a little bit better if you look one on one....

Winston over Simpson
Ahrens - Eli - even (Eli looks good so far)
Henry/Hall - Livers/Franz- even
Tillman slightly over Teske
Bingham/Kithier - Johns/Castleton - even
Loyer under DDJ

Now where MSU has a big advantage is in Rocket Watts over Nunez/Bajema. Not to mention Gabe Brown as well for a few minutes.

Michigan looks better IMO than where they were in preseason, probably a #20 team once Franz comes to play.

I expect the M-MSU game in Crisler to look similar to last night's game at Seton Hall if Langford is not available.
Agree with what you’re saying in this post, but back end top 10 is a bit harsh. I imagine we are ranked #2 in the newest AP Poll. All of the metrics have us first, and no human polls have us lower than about 4th.

Reactions: northeastspartan
Agree with what you’re saying in this post, but back end top 10 is a bit harsh. I imagine we are ranked #2 in the newest AP Poll. All of the metrics have us first, and no human polls have us lower than about 4th.

I wouldn’t put too much weight into metrics or human polls right now. A week ago Kentucky was the undisputed #1 team in the country.

The AP poll also has Michigan outside the top 44. That’s laughable.

Msu is a back end top 10 team without Langford. With Langford I felt they certainly had merit to being number one, but not by the overwhelming margin in preseason.

Seton Hall is high in the polls, but only 19 on Kenpom and 32 on Torvik. That was a nice win last night regardless though.

Michigan is basically one (or two depending on Langford's health) high level players behind MSU. That is why I felt Michigan would be #1 in preseason and MSU at #2 back in late March. Then Michigan lost Poole and Iggy and Beilein and looked like a borderline top 25 team entering the year with Franz and Wilson being a wash.

I see a lot of washes between the M/MSU roster with the latter having a little bit better if you look one on one....

Winston over Simpson
Ahrens - Eli - even (Eli looks good so far)
Henry/Hall - Livers/Franz- even
Tillman slightly over Teske
Bingham/Kithier - Johns/Castleton - even
Loyer under DDJ

Now where MSU has a big advantage is in Rocket Watts over Nunez/Bajema. Not to mention Gabe Brown as well for a few minutes.

Michigan looks better IMO than where they were in preseason, probably a #20 team once Franz comes to play.

I expect the M-MSU game in Crisler to look similar to last night's game at Seton Hall if Langford is not available.

Interesting how you lined them up. Why compare Ahrens (6'5" wing that doesn't start) to Eli Brooks (6'1" starting guard)?

I'd think it'd be more comparable to put Rocket vs. Brooks, and then Ahrens vs. Nunez.

Kithier / Bingham > Castleton / Johns at this point. Kithier alone is averaging 7.7ppg, 3.7rpg, and 2.3apg, which is almost equal to both of them.

At this point, I'd say Teske has played better than Tillman. And Livers over Henry, though they have different focus (Henry the teams best defender, Livers a scorer)

Interesting how you lined them up. Why compare Ahrens (6'5" wing that doesn't start) to Eli Brooks (6'1" starting guard)?

I'd think it'd be more comparable to put Rocket vs. Brooks, and then Ahrens vs. Nunez.

Kithier / Bingham > Castleton / Johns at this point. Kithier alone is averaging 7.7ppg, 3.7rpg, and 2.3apg, which is almost equal to both of them.

At this point, I'd say Teske has played better than Tillman. And Livers over Henry, though they have different focus (Henry the teams best defender, Livers a scorer)

The comps were based on finding washes, hence the Ahrens/Eli. It shows where Michigan is missing the player that MSU has (Watts). If Michigan had that caliber of player then Eli is in the same role as Ahrens.

I must admit that I didn't know Kithier had those numbers so far. It is early, but I am going by eye test and not numbers. Eye test says Tillman slightly over Teske

giphy.gif
so you are saying because of Teske Michigan won all those NCAAT games and none of the other players or coach Bielien had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with those wins?

like I said the team WON THOSE GAMES not JUST Teske who for the 1st 2 season did little to nothing to help, even last season he didn't even avg dbl digits in scoring.

The metrics don't assume Langford is out.

If the metrics were correct, then MSU should have won by about 8 last night and controlled the second half instead of the game looking like a toss up.

If the metrics were correct, then MSU should have slid by Kentucky rather than seeing the latter have control of the whole game with a variable buffer.

I would think MSU would be about #7 right now in the metrics if Langford left the team in the off-season.

If you and I were having this discussion in public and Zavier Simpson and Charles Matthews overheard it, I don't think they'd be offended. Odds are, they'd probably give me a high-five. At any rate, Teske is one of the best defenders in the country. It's not surprising that every publication I could find rated Teske higher. Every. Single. One. But sure, let's pretend that the whole world just hates Iowa.

Here are all of the preseason rankings I could find for the two players...

Teske
Three Man Weave: #34
NBC Sports- #65
CBS Sports- #66
Making The Madness- #69
SB Nation- #69
Athlon- #97

Garza
Making The Madness- #75
NBC Sports- #84
CBS Sports- Not Ranked
SB Nation- Not Ranked
Three Man Weave: Not Ranked
Athlon- Not Ranked
Garza was just a SO last season and Teske WAS A JR.
apples to oranges.

its not just about blocked shots either, there are other factors that go into the make up of the player.

you have to take the scoring. shooting avg's is more important when scoring, MPG plays a role. rebounding and grade they are in, comparing a JR to a SO is rather fool hardy when talking about the best.

in this case looking at Garza and what he did as a FR and SO compared to what Teske did as a FR and SO Garza was the best player and its not even close.

Garza was just a SO last season and Teske WAS A JR.
apples to oranges.

its not just about blocked shots either, there are other factors that go into the make up of the player.

you have to take the scoring. shooting avg's is more important when scoring, MPG plays a role. rebounding and grade they are in, comparing a JR to a SO is rather fool hardy when talking about the best.

in this case looking at Garza and what he did as a FR and SO compared to what Teske did as a FR and SO Garza was the best player and its not even close.
If Garza's so good, why is Michigan winning, but Iowa got destroyed by DePaul? Teske has never lost to DePaul.

If Garza's so good, why is Michigan winning, but Iowa got destroyed by DePaul? Teske has never lost to DePaul.
they never played Depaul either so that is a piss poor example, as for losing to Depaul Fran does have 3 new starters in this years lineup
RSSO Connor last years backup
RSFR Fredrick who just came off a RS season.
RSSO Nunge who just came off a RS season

you don't suppose thay had anything to do with it do you

also DePaul has 3 transfers that are starting maybe you will remember these 2
PG Moore
SG Lands
both former Illinois players

this is not the same DePaul team from last year then you add in top 50 4* Weems a 6'7 SF and 2 other top 100 4*'s in the 19 class. this years DePaul team is nothing like last years team now is it.

on NOV 29th they play Minnesota
on DEC 4th they play TT
on DEC 21st they play NW

Iowa will play all these teams to compare the 2 on. plus find out how good DePaul really is.

let's revisit Teske's stats as a FR then as a SO compared to Garza's stats as a FR and SO,
T Stats FR 3.1 mpg, 0.3 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 7 blocks shooting 14.3% from the field, 50% from the FTL and 0.0% from 3 on 0-6
T SO stats 12.3 mpg. 3.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 26 blocks shooting 54.1% from the field, 57.4% from the FTL and 0.0% from 3 on 0-1

G FR stats 21.7 mpg, 12.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 32 blocks, shooting 55.7% from the field, 68.1 % from the FTL and 34.8% from 3 on 16-46

G SO stats 23.6 mpg, 13.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 17 blocks, shooting 53.1% from the field, 80.4% from the FTL, and 29.2% from 3 on 21 of 72,

Garza>>>Teske and its not even close

as a JR Garza is avg'ing 25.5 mpg, 17 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 blocks, shooting 48% from the field 66.7% from the FTL and 50% from 3, plus he is leading the team in scoring, rebounding and Blocks vs Teske as a SR is leading in rebounding and blocks. playing 32 mpg.

so you are saying because of Teske Michigan won all those NCAAT games and none of the other players or coach Bielien had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with those wins?

like I said the team WON THOSE GAMES not JUST Teske who for the 1st 2 season did little to nothing to help, even last season he didn't even avg dbl digits in scoring.
I'm not getting sucked into your inane debates

Garza was great, Iowa was trash but played a team that will finish 3rd or 4th in a bad conference so they won. Whatever

Well, considering we started the game down by 16, a 6 point halftime deficit isn't too bad. :rolleyes:

Garza was great, Iowa was trash but played a team that will finish 3rd or 4th in a bad conference so they won. Whatever

Oklahoma State beat them by 5
I would ORU is a pretty good team
Nunge broke out of slump with 14 points and 10 rebounds
Garza 30 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and 1 block
Connor 10 points, 7 assists, 2 steals and 0 TO's named the player of the game.
Iowa turned the ball over just 8 times vs the 20 TO's they had against DePaul ORU shot 33.3% from 3.

Iowa trash not even close
crawl back to the clone board already,

Iowa won the rebounding battle 44-34 holding them to just 9 OR which killed Iowa last year,
Garza 2-4 from 3 shot 8 FT's in the 1st half 0 in the 2nd half. the really bad for Iowa tonight is they shot 57.7% from the FTL missing the front end 4 times. even Joe missed 2 on a flagrant foul. after being under cut while going up for a rebound and coming down hard on his elbow of his shooting hand.

missing that many FT's is not going to cut it. the cutting down on TO's is big going forward as they avg'd 12.1 TO's pg, would love to see that number below 10 TO's pg

How tough is Minnesota's schedule? Butler, Oklahoma and Utah so far? DePaul, Clemson and Oklahoma State coming up.
Yeah, we spotted Utah 16 points right out of the gate last night. Got it to within 1 in the second half but came up short. Blew a 9 point second half lead against Oklahoma as well. Not a great start to the season thus far. On top of that, with the way Oturu has looked, their is an increasing possibility he could leave for the NBA after this season.

16 points 7 rebounds 2 assists 2 blocks 2 steals
JR Garza 30 Minutes, 30 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and 1 block, 2-4 from 3

will be interesting to track them all season
but he had help
Nunge 27 minutes, 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, you know that worthless player that Indiana and Purdue didn't offer. 2-5 from 3.

on another note Patrick DNP because of residual health issues, speculation it is related to his surgery reguarding cancer,

its day to day if he will have to RS this year or not.

JR Garza 30 Minutes, 30 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and 1 block, 2-4 from 3

will be interesting to track them all season
but he had help
Nunge 27 minutes, 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, you know that worthless player that Indiana and Purdue didn't offer. 2-5 from 3.

on another note Patrick DNP because of residual health issues, speculation it is related to his surgery reguarding cancer,

its day to day if he will have to RS this year or not.
You know you played Oral Roberts, right? And only beat them by 13?

I think the question should be who is Garza actually better than? Gotta be a small list. Maybe some cheerleaders?
is that why he was one of 20 Center selected to the Kareem Abdul Jabbar watch list for the best center in D1.

AS A JR, why was Teske not put on this list? I mean after all he should be a slam dunk winner of this award.

You know you played Oral Roberts, right? And only beat them by 13?
Oklahoma State only beat them by 5 and Minnesota plays OKSU in a couple week as well DePaul.

Iowa was up by 21 when Fran started substituting quite liberally at the end of the game, they had been held in check from 3 till toward the end then they made 3 3's to close the gap and the point spread was 10.5 points so Iowa covered the spread.

looks like the odds maker know more than you do about how good ORU is, again another team that loaded up on Transfers from last season. with 3 SR starters and 2 SR's coming off the bench that helped,

but that's ok I know you struggle with the Idea that this team might be good,

Nunge broke out of his slump and will take most of the Triple teams on Garza and a lot of the dbl teams as well,
not bad 44 points 20 rebounds between the 2 of them is going create problems down the line for a lot of teams,

oh yeah and lets not forget about Jordan who went 3-3 from 3 with 11 points last night, if he is fully healthy he adds the outside shooter to take even more pressure off of Wieskamp, Nunge and Garza.

they never played Depaul either so that is a piss poor example, as for losing to Depaul Fran does have 3 new starters in this years lineup
RSSO Connor last years backup
RSFR Fredrick who just came off a RS season.
RSSO Nunge who just came off a RS season

you don't suppose thay had anything to do with it do you

also DePaul has 3 transfers that are starting maybe you will remember these 2
PG Moore
SG Lands
both former Illinois players

this is not the same DePaul team from last year then you add in top 50 4* Weems a 6'7 SF and 2 other top 100 4*'s in the 19 class. this years DePaul team is nothing like last years team now is it.

on NOV 29th they play Minnesota
on DEC 4th they play TT
on DEC 21st they play NW

Iowa will play all these teams to compare the 2 on. plus find out how good DePaul really is.
Charlie Moore never played for illinois

Charlie Moore never played for illinois
yes he did as the announcer kept saying he did as he was 1 of the 3 Transfers on DePaul's roster,

they kept talking about it how Depaul had reworked their roster,

now if you have a problem with anybody take it up with the crew that covered the game,

not going to look at the past Illinois rosters to make sure the info coming from the announcers of another team is accurate or not.

ADVERTISEMENT