ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

That's a hot rivalry! A couple technical fouls and a recruiting battle since 1991?

Enough to write a Wikipedia article??? Where’s the article for IU-Wisky?? Or IU-MSU like you said were more rivals than IL. Clearly more there than most programs have on each other. And lol those were much more than technical fouls and a recruiting battle.

That article doesn’t even list the instant classic games.

Yawn. Willfully ignorant IU fans...

Fvck you too

Oh, there is heat in BB for sure. We never get to play you in football, but you guys match up very well with us from a talent standpoint. Our baseball games have been good as well.

We just need more football games to kick this thing off right and to get battries thrown at us. Lol

Reactions: bMORE607
@theetommyt

Let’s see your rivalry Wikipedia page with Wisconsin and Michigan Stats, Indiana fans lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois–Indiana_men's_basketball_rivalry

————————————————————
Illinois and Indiana first met on January 20, 1906 with an Illinois victory, 27-24. Since the two teams are both in the Big Ten Conference, they meet at least once a season. The location of the game alternates between Assembly Hallin Bloomington and the State Farm Center, formerly Assembly Hall, in Champaign. There have been a total of five overtime games in this series."[1]

In mid-1980s Indiana head coach Bob Knightbrought allegations to the NCAA that Illinois assistant coaches had acted improperly in the recruitment of Lowell Hamilton. Hamilton was the focus of a recruiting competition between Illinois and Indiana, and while the allegations of improper conduct were unfounded by the NCAA, the controversy had some level of impact on the games at the time.[2]

On March 10, 1991, after an Indiana victory in Champaign, a profanity-laced shouting match between Knight and Fighting Illini coach Lou Henson erupted outside the team locker rooms. The incident started when Knight left the Assembly Hall court with seven seconds remaining in the game, skipping the traditional postgame handshake while laughing and waving to the Illinois crowd. This incident enraged Henson to the point of confronting Knight outside of the locker room. Henson's anger continued as he spoke out against Knight at the postgame press conference by stating: "What do you expect out of Knight? He`s a classic bully. I was in the (Indiana) locker room, he jumped on me and I wanted him to come outside. He intimidates the Big 10 office; he tries to intimidate everybody. His entire life is based on intimidation, but the big bully won`t intimidate me."[3]

In a game at Bloomington on February 25, 1998, Indiana head coach Bob Knight was issued two technical fouls by referee Ted Valentine for first arguing a call after a hard collision between Illinois guard Sergio McClainand Indiana guard Luke Recker in which McClain was issued a technical foul for touching the rim after blocking Recker's shot. Coach Knight argued the call should have been goaltending. From the collision, Recker fell hard to the court in pain. To check on his player, Coach Knight rushed to the court for which he was issued the second technical foul by Valentine.[4]

Occasional feuds and incidents between the schools' programs have fueled the competition over the years. Illinois has dominated Indiana in the short history of the Big Ten Tournament. Of the 18 years the conference tournament been held, Illinois and Indiana have played a total of 8 times. Illinois holds the record of 6-2 over Indiana. In the 1999 Big Ten Tournament the Hoosiers and the Illini faced each other and Illinois won the game 82-66. Illinois would go on to win 4 of the next 5 tournament meetings.[1]

Another feud is less focused on the tension between the two schools, but rather a former Illinois head coach and his ties to Indiana. Bruce Weber coached the Fighting Illini from 2003–12, but the history between Weber and Indiana began before he set foot in Champaign. As head coach at Southern Illinois Universityfor five years from 1998-2003, he scheduled some non-conference meetings against Indiana. Before that, Weber served as an assistant coach under Gene Keady at Purdue University for 18 years. During his tenure at Illinois, Weber noted that there was tension between himself and Indiana (see Indiana–Purdue rivalry).[5]

In 2007 there was a recruiting battle between the schools over Indiana Mr. Basketball, Eric Gordon. Gordon initially verbally committed to play for Illinois.[6] However, when Mike Davisresigned as Indiana's head coach and Kelvin Sampson was hired, Gordon decommitted and signed his National Letter of Intent to play for Indiana.[7]
Edit the entry to include this awesome message board fight

Enough to write a Wikipedia article??? Clearly more there than most programs have on each other.

That article doesn’t even list the instant classic games.
FWIW, there's an entry for Wisconsin-Nebraska football rivalry.
However, it's a rivalry B1G tried hard to promote.
For me, Northwestern is more a rivalry in football than they are. And yet you won't find such a thing in wiki.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Also this is very reminiscent of TheDude continuing to claim Maryland -Duke was never a rivalry.

Those are the best type of rivalries lol.

Nebraska tries to do that shit, because we kick their teeth in, every year in football

Also this is very reminiscent of TheDude continuing to claim Maryland -Duke was never a rivalry.

Big difference between was and is. Illinois and Indiana had some battles. Henson and Knight hated each other that's about it except for Eric Gordon now 13 years ago.

Both programs have been okay to really bad for awhile.

Reactions: theetommyt
FWIW, there's an entry for Wisconsin-Nebraska football rivalry.
However, it's a rivalry B1G tried hard to promote.
For me, Northwestern is more a rivalry in football than they are. And yet you won't find such a thing in wiki.

I hate those fvcking nerds.

Reactions: buckymel
Big difference between was and is. Illinois and Indiana had some battles. Henson and Knight hated each other that's about it except for Eric Gordon now 13 years ago.
Yea, I think you have your main rivalries and the second tier ones fluctuate in and out based on circumstances, i.e coaches fighting, players fighting, recruiting, close games. Maryland-Penn State isn't much of a rivalry on the field, but everything else makes it a rivalry.

You are just trying to protect you Super Bowl. It's all you PU fans have

tenor.gif

No need to be so mad just because we are better in football and men's basketball. You guys don't even have hockey teams. SmokinSmile

I wouldn't crow about our men's hockey (currently at least), but the women's team seems to be dominant.

Not a hockey fan myself, but it’s almost funny, in a bad way, that Tony is turning into our version of Jimmy Harbaugh.

I don't care either. Great recruiting class and they're awful this year. Makes sense.

Part of the problem is that Illinois does not have a true rival, I guess Indiana is the best they've got? They aren't even in the same stratosphere as Purdue.

For you hawkit, Indiana football rivals: Purdue and usually team defense.
and some years Ball St.

Part of the problem is that Illinois does not have a true rival, I guess Indiana is the best they've got? They aren't even in the same stratosphere as Purdue.

It’s probably actually Missouri in the Arch Rivalry game. We run that series big time though.

Northwestern has never been competitive enough to be our Purdue

I’ve hated all of the big ten teams at some point or another. The level of hatred fluctuates from year to year (sometimes week to week). All of the big ten teams are rivals to me, I guess. I have more respect for some, though.

Laughing

There has been some good heat between us in football.

ADVERTISEMENT