ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

At this point, Howard needs to study some X's and O's. It's not that he's bad at them, but he's being outclassed by guys that are vets in the league. His roster isn't his issue prior to Xavier's suspension.

Howards x and os have been pretty good minus some rotation stuff and transition defense stuff but those were fairly related to the livers injury. Where exactly does he need to improve x and o wise? Guys not making open shots is not x and o related.

At this point, Howard needs to study some X's and O's. It's not that he's bad at them, but he's being outclassed by guys that are vets in the league. His roster isn't his issue prior to Xavier's suspension.

The roster was absolutely an issue with Livers out. Not the only issue but a huge one.

Howards x and os have been pretty good minus some rotation stuff and transition defense stuff but those were fairly related to the livers injury. Where exactly does he need to improve x and o wise? Guys not making open shots is not x and o related.

His late game coaching leaves a lot to be desired. His timeouts or lack thereof are suspect. His substitution patterns are odd.

Example. He put in Teske, Davis, and Wagner (Wagner sucks on defense) at the end of the Illinois game. Tons of height. Except Cockburn wasn’t very effective in that game and Illinois went away from him. Dosonmu was lighting it up and he’s 6’6. Simpson was guarding him at 6’0. So you have 3 large individuals packing the paint which is smart that you don’t want to give an easy lay up but then you have a guy half a foot shorter than the dude taking the game winner who is red hot. Hmmmmm. He had the timeouts to sub whoever he wanted. He chose... poorly...

Things like that lose you games when you’re in a conference with so many good coaches like the Big Ten. Juwan sure does have a lot to learn.

Reactions: Jaycg15

Defense has been the problem. Really nothing more Howard can do with the offense than what he’s done given the personnel.

His late game coaching leaves a lot to be desired. His timeouts or lack thereof are suspect. His substitution patterns are odd.

Example. He put in Teske, Davis, and Wagner (Wagner sucks on defense) at the end of the Illinois game. Tons of height. Except Cockburn wasn’t very effective in that game and Illinois went away from him. Dosonmu was lighting it up and he’s 6’6. Simpson was guarding him at 6’0. So you have 3 large individuals packing the paint which is smart that you don’t want to give an easy lay up but then you have a guy half a foot shorter than the dude taking the game winner who is red hot. Hmmmmm. He had the timeouts to sub whoever he wanted. He chose... poorly...

Things like that lose you games when you’re in a conference with so many good coaches like the Big Ten. Juwan sure does have a lot to learn.

There’s nobody on our roster that is a good matchup for guarding Ayo. We have three 6’0 guards too small to check him, two 6’8 forwards too slow to check him, and three centers.

Between Poole, Matthews, and Brazdeikas leaving, Wilson decomitting, and Livers being hurt, our wing depth has taken a huge hit.

Roster in January:

PG: Simpson / Dejulius
SG: Brooks / Dejulius
SF: Wagner / nobody
PF: Johns / nobody
C: Teske / Davis / Castleton

Simpson, Dejulius, and Brooks were all recruited as point guards. That is three undersized guards and three centers in our 8 man rotation right now. Far from ideal even with Simpson and Teske being talented.

There’s also this problem:

5873-E820-DCB1-4-A0-C-B106-70-C1-DB79-EBAB.jpg

Who exactly do you suggest he puts on donsumu late? This roster is completely devoid of any good defensive wings other than livers who is not quick enough to stay in front of guards. The Davis and Teske lineups have been frustrating and I wish it was more simspson, DeJulius, and brooks Wagner and teske late in games but juwan has been forced to trot out Davis teske lineups because this roster is devoid of wings.

isn’t Howard not even doing X’s and O’s? I thought that head assistant was the main guy for in game decisions.

isn’t Howard not even doing X’s and O’s? I thought that head assistant was the main guy for in game decisions.

Whoever is doing x’s and o’s should’ve called a TO when it was tied with 50 seconds left. Set up a play to get 2 for 1. That’s a legit complaint on Howard IMO.

Reactions: JRMSU and Jaycg15
There’s nobody on our roster that is a good matchup for guarding Ayo. We have three 6’0 guards too small to check him, two 6’8 forwards too slow to check him, and three centers.
Howard thought there was a screen coming on Ayo. We didn't screen, and he lost because of it.

You should put someone that can defend the shot on Ayo, and if that guy gets beat, you have a guy protecting the rim to cover him. Allowing Ayo to beat you 1 on 1 is a mistake.

Losing Livers hurts, but there are enough players for a bubble team.

You guys consider me a homer and even I thought we’d be a bubble team if we lost Wagner. Losing Livers is way more important than losing Wagner.

See this post:
https://forums.rivals.com/threads/official-b1g-in-season-thread.899837/page-318#post-29563907

The roster construction is terrible. Even with playing Wagner and Johns 30mpg each (far from ideal) that leaves 20mpg at the forward positions to play roll with a 3 PG or 2 center lineup. It’s not good.

And then the shooting....... yuck.

Howard thought there was a screen coming on Ayo. We didn't screen, and he lost because of it.

You should put someone that can defend the shot on Ayo, and if that guy gets beat, you have a guy protecting the rim to cover him. Allowing Ayo to beat you 1 on 1 is a mistake.

So who? Wagner? Johns?

Ayo would’ve been able to create an open jumpshot on them so fvcking easy.

To be fair, he'd create one against most anyone in the B1G could throw at him.

Yup. We have no one playable between 6’1 and 6’8. You’re not putting Nunez or Bajema in to guard Ayo, so take your pick from:

PG: Simpson / Dejulius
SG: Brooks / Dejulius
SF: Wagner / nobody
PF: Johns / nobody
C: Teske / Davis / Castleton

If Livers was healthy maybe he could’ve guarded the ball but that’s just another example of how shitty built the roster is without him.

Reactions: jwardelt
You guys consider me a homer and even I thought we’d be a bubble team if we lost Wagner. Losing Livers is way more important than losing Wagner.

See this post:
https://forums.rivals.com/threads/official-b1g-in-season-thread.899837/page-318#post-29563907

The roster construction is terrible. Even with playing Wagner and Johns 30mpg each (far from ideal) that leaves 20mpg at the forward positions to play roll with a 3 PG or 2 center lineup. It’s not good.

And then the shooting....... yuck.

It's interesting to see you've lowered your current expectations, but pre-season you were thinking that UM had nearly as much talent as anyone else in the B1G.

Im not saying Michigan will finish 2nd in the big ten because this is Howard’s first crack at things, but I don’t think anyone outside of MSU has a more talented roster.

It's interesting to see you've lowered your current expectations, but pre-season you were thinking that UM had nearly as much talent as anyone else in the B1G.

We still have talent. But without Livers:

1- we lose a lot of talent, as that talent was large in part to our “big three”
2- our depth and rotation is shot to hell

The roster has changed, thus my take on the roster has changed. Why is that confusing?

Last edited:

Why not tell the full story if you’re going to go back to my preseason takes?

Even with that talent, I was demonstrably concerned about our wing depth if we only had two.

With Franz, I think Michigan will be fine. Without him, a bubble team. Even with Franz there a lot of question marks with a brand new coach. I wouldn’t bet on it.

Jalen Wilson is the #47 recruit who decomitted from Michigan but we still have an outside shot at him.

Franz Wagner is a freshman from Germany. He’s the younger brother to Moe Wagner. It’s sounding like he is leaning to coming to Michigan (rather than playing professionally for his German team).

Either one of those guys would be potential day 1 starters. I’d prefer Wagner over Wilson.

With neither of them Michigan is probably a bubble team. With one potentially a top 25. With both I could see another top 15 season.

Michigan drops from top 25 team to bubble team if Franz isn’t healthy. Fml

Now replace not having Wagner with not having Livers (our leading scorer) and do the math.

We still have talent. But without Livers:

1- we lose a lot of talent, as that talent was large in part to our “big three”
2- our depth and rotation is shot to hell

The roster has changed, thus my take on the roster has changed. Why is that confusing?

You guys lost one single player from the "2nd best roster" in the B1G. I understand he was good, but you were fairly confident that UM had the 2nd best roster overall. Now it all comes crumbling down because of 1 player

You guys lost one single player from the "2nd best roster" in the B1G. I understand he was good, but you were fairly confident that UM had the 2nd best roster overall. Now it all comes crumbling down because of 1 player

Yes. I would’ve had Michigan outside the bubble preseason if I knew we didn’t have Livers.

At this point Howard just needs to spend the rest of year camped out at John Christophers house. Supposedly Seth towns wants to come if theres room too.

Is that you on the Victors MB with nearly the same user name?

If so I saw that post about Towns yesterday. Where did you hear about him wanting to come to Michigan? That is the only place I have seen his name. Didn't realize he has been out for two years with injury. One of those old recruits you lose track of after awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT