ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Also, nothing against Langford because he seems like a studs but saying it looks like he found his shot after one 2 of 5 game is a bit early. @Mgkcbb went in depth on variance a couple years ago. A 30% shooter will sometimes have 0 for 5 nights and sometimes be 3 for 5.

The kid is 4 of 20 from 3 after 4 games. Im not out here trying to hate on him but he also is 20% from 3. I mean, lets just be honest here.

That being said, his stroke looks really good. I think he will end up 33-35% from 3.

I think the reason so many IU fans had an issue with your original post was because you were severely putting too much weight on his shooting % and not enough on his ability to get to the rim. It's been well known that he isn't the type of player whose going to hit 10 3s in a game. He's not a shooter...instead he's a scorer.

Rabjohns has gone out of his way to explain that it's not like when Gordon was a freshman. Gordon was a ridiculous shooter with insane strength and athletic ability. So, if you're expecting to see Romeo do the same types of things....you're going to be disappointed.

I will admit, I am a surprised with how bad he's shot it so far. Going into the season I expected him to be around high 30s%. I also, from watching many of his high school games figured he would have been in the 40% range during high school, if not for constantly being doubled and even tripled sometimes. So, I wasn't worried at all about his shooting abilities.

I'm also not surprised with how good defensively he is. He didn't show it much in high school because they literally didn't want him to waste his energy on defense. Their team had to have him being 100% on offense, or they didn't have a chance. The team had some really good defenders, not no one else who could win them a game.

He's going to go in the top 5 of the draft strictly based off of potential. But, if he wants to be an all star...he's got to get his shot down! Just imagine what we would be saying about him if he was shooting in to 40% range? I honestly don't know how a college team could prevent him from dropping 30 on them.

The reason Purdue is so good is becauseNojel Eastern is the best defensive player in the nation.

giphy.gif

I think the reason so many IU fans had an issue with your original post was because you were severely putting too much weight on his shooting % and not enough on his ability to get to the rim. It's been well known that he isn't the type of player whose going to hit 10 3s in a game. He's not a shooter...instead he's a scorer.

Rabjohns has gone out of his way to explain that it's not like when Gordon was a freshman. Gordon was a ridiculous shooter with insane strength and athletic ability. So, if you're expecting to see Romeo do the same types of things....you're going to be disappointed.

I will admit, I am a surprised with how bad he's shot it so far. Going into the season I expected him to be around high 30s%. I also, from watching many of his high school games figured he would have been in the 40% range during high school, if not for constantly being doubled and even tripled sometimes. So, I wasn't worried at all about his shooting abilities.

I'm also not surprised with how good defensively he is. He didn't show it much in high school because they literally didn't want him to waste his energy on defense. Their team had to have him being 100% on offense, or they didn't have a chance. The team had some really good defenders, not no one else who could win them a game.

He's going to go in the top 5 of the draft strictly based off of potential. But, if he wants to be an all star...he's got to get his shot down! Just imagine what we would be saying about him if he was shooting in to 40% range? I honestly don't know how a college team could prevent him from dropping 30 on them.

IU fans were right and I was wrong. He gets to the rimand draws fouls at a rate that guarantees success. Hecant shoot, like I saod, but hes megaefficient inside the arc.

IU fans were right and I was wrong. He gets to the rimand draws fouls at a rate that guarantees success. Hecant shoot, like I saod, but hes megaefficient inside the arc.

I honestly don't think anyone was completely right, or wrong here. IU fans expected him to walk in and be a great shooter and you didn't expect him to be as good of a scorer.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Man the automatic whistles when a guy shoots down low really irritate me.

I honestly don't think anyone was completely right, or wrong here. IU fans expected him to walk in and be a great shooter and you didn't expect him to be as good of a scorer.
Can't speak for all, but I certainly didn't. I've watched this kid for years. Hell brought him to the boards attention 4 years ago. I never expected him to be a great shooter, well, b/c he isn't. He's a decent shooter. He can be streaky. When he is on from "3", you cannot guard him. I do know this---he won't shoot this bad, all year. I expect him to end up somewhere around 35-37%. Maybe a tad better. Kids an elite scorer. Elite at the rim. Can score in a lot of ways. How he's shooting now is a surprise. He seemed more confident, comfortable today. I'm not concerned.

Can't speak for all, but I certainly didn't. I've watched this kid for years. Hell brought him to the boards attention 4 years ago. I never expected him to be a great shooter, well, b/c he isn't. He's a decent shooter. He can be streaky. When he is on from "3", you cannot guard him. I do know this---he won't shoot this bad, all year. I expect him to end up somewhere around 35-37%. Maybe a tad better. Kids an elite scorer. Elite at the rim. Can score in a lot of ways. How he's shooting now is a surprise. He seemed more confident, comfortable today. I'm not concerned.
There were plenty of IU fans who just assumed that he must be a phenomenal shooter because of how many points he scored in high school. Then you throw on all the hype he had...its amazing that he isn't in the fetal position in some corner of a dark gym crying because the pressure got to him.

There were plenty of IU fans who just assumed that he must be a phenomenal shooter because of how many points he scored in high school. Then you throw on all the hype he had...its amazing that he isn't in the fetal position in some corner of a dark gym crying because the pressure got to him.
THose fans would be labeled as---"fans who never saw him play in HS". Fortuantely, I did. A lot. So that is why I never expected him to be some great shooter.

Both teams shooting over 52% from the field. Elite offense or not good defense?
Somewhere in the middle the truth lies. Va Tech's athleticism has given Purdue fits, as expected. Cline matched up with a draft prospect on the wing won't be a plus matchup most nights. Va Tech's perimeter trio has been impressive.

Both, refs calling it so tight isn’t helping either.

I just watched Boudreaux nail a big time 3 and was going to come here and tip my cap and before I got around to it I watched him let his man run right by him in a half court set.

Such a shame Boudreaux can’t contribute this year since he’s an Ivy League transfer ;)

I don't think anyone said he couldn't contribute. My take was always that anything he provides is gravy and expectations should be tempered and I cited my own over-confidence in a transfer (Simmons last year).

Somewhere in the middle the truth lies. Va Tech's athleticism has given Purdue fits, as expected. Cline matched up with a draft prospect on the wing won't be a plus matchup most nights. Va Tech's perimeter trio has been impressive.

Where has Haarms been? I watched your first game and he was electric. Just turned the game on (went to see Bohemian Rhapsody) and checked the box score and that's not a good line.

Reactions: SNU0821
Where has Haarms been? I watched your first game and he was electric. Just turned the game on (went to see Bohemian Rhapsody) and checked the box score and that's not a good line.
Boudreaux has been really effective tonight, so he got the lion's share of the minutes. Painter's been treating that spot as a hot-hand/matchup-driven timeshare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT