ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Only reason this game isn’t already a complete blowout is becuase MSU isn’t hitting their three’s.

Missed a 1-foot, bunny tip, that probably wins the game. All alone. Wide open. In fairness, a healthy, non-overweight Davis, probably finishes that play.

Just dunk it....He had time to gather. Just short-armed it.
The way he shot it made it seem like he lost track of the clock and just wanted to get it off.

Missed a 1-foot, bunny tip, that probably wins the game. All alone. Wide open. In fairness, a healthy, non-overweight Davis, probably finishes that play.

Just dunk it....He had time to gather. Just short-armed it.

Just looked at the play by play. Indiana lost in regulation in a game that was tied, their ball, with the shot clock off? That should never happen.

Tough loss for IU but what I saw confirms my belief that they’re a 5 seed type team. If I was an IU fan - spoiler alert: I’m not - I’ve be very pleased with their answers late and to see Phinisee and Romeo hitting clutch threes. Yeah they found a way to lose but it’s a young team playing their first big away game.

Big ten is looking fun as hell this year.

Yeah they might actually be the best team in the league this year. Not saying they are, I love Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue, Wisconsin etc. But theres a chance theyre actually the best team which sucks to type out.

Reactions: KisteK
Tough loss for IU but what I saw confirms my belief that they’re a 5 seed type team. If I was an IU fan - spoiler alert: I’m not - I’ve be very pleased with their answers late and to see Phinisee and Romeo hitting clutch threes. Yeah they found a way to lose but it’s a young team playing their first big away game.

Big ten is looking fun as hell this year.
I think that is a worse case scenario, TBH. IU was without Morgan for 18 minutes of the 1st half. Still without Green and McRoberts. Still no Hunter. We did not play well---at all. yet still had a chance to win, in a very, very tough atmosphere; Under Anderson, Arkansas is like 120-7 when leading at halftime, at home. And now have won 40 straight at home, when leading(at half).
For all the foul trouble; Phinisee/Morgan with 2 first half fouls...The turnovers. Missed lay-ups. I was actually "happy" with where we were. In years past, that 10-point Arkansas lead grows to 15, then 20.....

When this team gets 100%(including Davis), I think we are going to be really tough to beat. Plus, Romeo seems to have found his shot.

Lot of good today, even though we lost.

I think that is a worse case scenario, TBH. IU was without Morgan for 18 minutes of the 1st half. Still without Green and McRoberts. Still no Hunter. We did not play well---at all. yet still had a chance to win, in a very, very tough atmosphere; Under Anderson, Arkansas is like 120-7 when leading at halftime, at home. And now have won 40 straight at home, when leading(at half).
For all the foul trouble; Phinisee/Morgan with 2 first half fouls...The turnovers. Missed lay-ups. I was actually "happy" with where we were. In years past, that 10-point Arkansas lead grows to 15, then 20.....

When this team gets 100%(including Davis), I think we are going to be really tough to beat. Plus, Romeo seems to have found his shot.

Lot of good today, even though we lost.

5 seed would be a top 17-20 team.

You think worst case scenario is Indiana being a top 20 team?

Just looked at the play by play. Indiana lost in regulation in a game that was tied, their ball, with the shot clock off? That should never happen.
Nope. Phinisee kinda of panicked. Drove to the basket way, way to early. And in traffic. Had the tip gone in, its moot. But certainly not the play you want.

5 seed would be a top 17-20 team.

You think worst case scenario is Indiana being a top 20 team?
Yes, I do. I think this team can, and will, compete for the Big 10. IF the Big 10 is as good as some think, then yes, I think a 5-seed is worse case.

In other words, I don't think this a year where finishing 3rd or 4th, gets you a 5-seed.

Also, nothing against Langford because he seems like a studs but saying it looks like he found his shot after one 2 of 5 game is a bit early. @Mgkcbb went in depth on variance a couple years ago. A 30% shooter will sometimes have 0 for 5 nights and sometimes be 3 for 5.

Reactions: Mgkcbb and MGC_07
Well then you have to all of a sudden like Romeo then with a take like that.

Ive never hated Romeo. Thats the problem with trying to be honest on internet message boards, trolls spin it into something else altogether.

I started a thread discussing B1G basketball on Purdues free board. I typed out 5 freshmen who I was excited to watch. Romeo wasnt included in that. When pressed about it, I gave out a very detailed analysis of his game and why I thought he might struggle more than some thought.

The main point in that was that he never was a good jump shooter in high school. I did a shit ton of research and used all of his AAU, all star games, and high school stats to show hes never been a good 3 point shooter. Well, hes 4 of 20 from 3 to start the year.

Where I underestimated him was his ability to get to the line. He was only 6 of 15 from the field today but he draws fouls at a ridiculous rate which obviously bodes well for him going forward.

He is much better than I thought defensively as well. He collects steals surprisingly well.

But the reason I like IU moreso now than in the preseason is because they look like one of the better defensive teams in the country. I thought theyd struggle much more there.

They do turn it over too much and I still question their shooting, but I think they are really good defensively.

Yes, I do. I think this team can, and will, compete for the Big 10. IF the Big 10 is as good as some think, then yes, I think a 5-seed is worse case.

In other words, I don't think this a year where finishing 3rd or 4th, gets you a 5-seed.

So that’s your prediction which is fine. If your prediction comes true then 5th seed is worst case.

When someone says worst case scenario I think of what’s the worst way the season could play out. I think every team in the B1G has a worse case scenario of being outside of the top 25.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Tennessee Tech has gotta be one of the worst college teams I’ve seen in a hot minute. They airballed like 3 three’s in a row.

MSU is 4-18 from three right now, and up 42-14. Lol

Also, nothing against Langford because he seems like a studs but saying it looks like he found his shot after one 2 of 5 game is a bit early. @Mgkcbb went in depth on variance a couple years ago. A 30% shooter will sometimes have 0 for 5 nights and sometimes be 3 for 5.

The kid is 4 of 20 from 3 after 4 games. Im not out here trying to hate on him but he also is 20% from 3. I mean, lets just be honest here.

That being said, his stroke looks really good. I think he will end up 33-35% from 3.

Per KenPom, Romeo Langford is in the top 100 in the entire nation in fouls drawn per 40. I have no reason to assume thats not sustainable, so if it is, then obviously hes going to score a ton of points and do it efficiently enough regardless of how poorly he shoots.

So that’s your prediction which is fine. If your prediction comes true then 5th seed is worst case.

When someone says worst case scenario I think of what’s the worst way the season could play out. I think every team in the B1G has a worse case scenario of being outside of the top 25.
If the Big 10 is as good as some think, then a 5-seed to me would be worst case. This is a pretty good IU team. Especially when healthy. And more so if we get Hunter back.

Sure the season could end w/o an NCAA bid. Which would be a worst case scenario. Obviously. I mean that's everyone's worst case.

I just don't see, right now, four better teams in the Big 10; Michigan to me is the best team---right now. After that, I'm not convinced anyone's better than IU. And vice versa, TBH.

Big 10 is going to be a beast.

If the Big 10 is as good as some think, then a 5-seed to me would be worst case. This is a pretty good IU team. Especially when healthy. And more so if we get Hunter back.

Sure the season could end w/o an NCAA bid. Which would be a worst case scenario. Obviously. I mean that's everyone's worst case.

I just don't see, right now, four better teams in the Big 10; Michigan to me is the best team---right now. After that, I'm not convinced anyone's better than IU. And vice versa, TBH.

Big 10 is going to be a beast.

Im just glad people are finally starting to realize MSU is not the team to beat.

Do you really think MSU is better than Indiana this year? Of course you dont.

Ive never hated Romeo. Thats the problem with trying to be honest on internet message boards, trolls spin it into something else altogether.

I started a thread discussing B1G basketball on Purdues free board. I typed out 5 freshmen who I was excited to watch. Romeo wasnt included in that. When pressed about it, I gave out a very detailed analysis of his game and why I thought he might struggle more than some thought.

The main point in that was that he never was a good jump shooter in high school. I did a shit ton of research and used all of his AAU, all star games, and high school stats to show hes never been a good 3 point shooter. Well, hes 4 of 20 from 3 to start the year.

Where I underestimated him was his ability to get to the line. He was only 6 of 15 from the field today but he draws fouls at a ridiculous rate which obviously bodes well for him going forward.

He is much better than I thought defensively as well. He collects steals surprisingly well.

But the reason I like IU moreso now than in the preseason is because they look like one of the better defensive teams in the country. I thought theyd struggle much more there.

They do turn it over too much and I still question their shooting, but I think they are really good defensively.
You said Eastern and Cline were better players than Romeo, think you were underselling him a whole lot more than what you’re putting on. I think he’ll be inconsistent from 3 and the charity stripe this season. He can get a bit sloppy with passes too like he did today but he’s a sure-fire nba talent for a reason.

I do think IU will be good defensively this year but do think they’ll struggle with big guys. What makes Morgan a match up nightmare on offense conversely can hurt them on the defensive end. No doubt it’s still a net positive to have him as their 5 though.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
You said Eastern and Cline were better players than Romeo, think you were underselling him a whole lot more than what you’re putting on. He can get a bit sloppy with passes too like he did today but he’s a sure-fire nba talent for a reason.

I do think IU will be good defensively this year but do think they’ll struggle with big guys. What makes Morgan a match up nightmare on offense conversely can hurt them on the defensive end. No doubt it’s still a net positive to have him as their 5 though.

Youve watched Purdue play. Ryan Cline and Nojel Eastern are both really, really good this year.

Cline and Eastern aren’t as good as any of those guys, what’s your point?

College basketball worth and NBA draft stock are two totally seperate things. Using draft stock to try and pump up a guys college worth is silly.

You said Eastern and Cline were better players than Romeo, think you were underselling him a whole lot more than what you’re putting on. I think he’ll be inconsistent from 3 and the charity stripe this season. He can get a bit sloppy with passes too like he did today but he’s a sure-fire nba talent for a reason.

Duuuuude. His lazy ass passes drive me nuts. It’s like he hasn’t realized this is big boy basketball. That shit doesn’t fly. Seriously makes me angry.

College basketball worth and NBA draft stock are two totally seperate things. Using draft stock to try and pump up a guys college worth is silly.
I agree. That doesn’t mean Cline and Eastern are better than Romeo though.

Reactions: SNU0821
Neither was Jalen Brunson, Frank Mason, Denzel Valentine, or Frank Kaminsky.
And neither Cline nor Eastern are anywhere as good as any of the players you listed. I also don’t think Cline and Eastern aren’t nearly as good as Romeo.

Duuuuude. His lazy ass passes drive me nuts. It’s like he hasn’t realized this is big boy basketball. That shit doesn’t fly. Seriously makes me angry.
Yeah he did it in high school a lot. Granted he was always getting double-teamed but he has a tendency to lose the “zip” on his passes after a while.

Reactions: SNU0821
Things are about to get real for MSU.

They play

UCLA
Texas/UNC
At Louisville
At Rutgers
Home vs Iowa
At Florida

3-3 very ppssible. 2-4 as well.

Michigan had the #3 defense in the country last season and it’s better this year.

I tried telling people this in the offseason. They had a top 5 defense and returned Zavier, Charles, and Teske - all very big reasons They were so good defensively. Theyre as good a bet as any team to make the final 4 imo.

I tried telling people this in the offseason. They had a top 5 defense and returned Zavier, Charles, and Teske - all very big reasons They were so good defensively. Theyre as good a bet as any team to make the final 4 imo.

The offense needs to develop but think about where Michigan was at this point the past two years. Michigan hasn’t looked good this early in awhile so that’s encouraging.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Things are about to get real for MSU.

They play

UCLA
Texas/UNC
At Louisville
At Rutgers
Home vs Iowa
At Florida

3-3 very ppssible. 2-4 as well.
I’m not seeing 2-4. 3-3 worst case scenario. Should be interesting. I’ll say we lose at Florida and then beat UClA but lose to UNC in the next game. Go 4-2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT