ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Tell me more about the team 3pt shooting for Purdue vs the team 3pt shooting for IU, Peter.
You keep on spinning it however you like. You are the only person on here that thinks IU will be a better 3 point shooting team than Purdue. It’s laughable.

You keep on spinning it however you like. You are the only person on here that thinks IU will be a better 3 point shooting team than Purdue. It’s laughable.
There is a 1% difference through 3 games. Let's re-evaluate after 10 games when both teams have played quality competition.

Reactions: SNU0821
Who gives a shit who shoots it better from 3pt range? I would rather have the better team, which I believe we do. Will you hang a banner if you have a better 3pt percentage than IU?

I think theres a distinct possibility Aaron Wheeler is starting and playing 20+ mins per game come conference season. He is like Purdues version of Eric Paschall where he can play small ball center defensively with his length and athleticism and just sit and bomb 3s in the corner offensively off Cline PnR reads and Carsen doing Carsen things penetrating and finding him open looks off penetration.

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel
Cline
Carsen

Is shaping up to be a deadly starting lineup eventually come March, but then Wheeler slides to the 5 when EB comes in off the bench and everyone can shoot. 5 out offensively.

I think theres a distinct possibility Aaron Wheeler is starting and playing 20+ mins per game come conference season. He is like Purdues version of Eric Paschall where he can play small ball center defensively with his length and athleticism and just sit and bomb 3s in the corner offensively off Cline PnR reads and Carsen doing Carsen things penetrating and finding him open looks off penetration.

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel
Cline
Carsen

Is shaping up to be a deadly starting lineup eventually come March, but then Wheeler slides to the 5 when EB comes in off the bench and everyone can shoot. 5 out offensively.
Wheeler is not good enough defensively for that to happen. He does some good things, can shoot, rebound, athletic, but he's not starting this season. He'll be good in about 15 minutes off the bench this year.

Who gives a shit who shoots it better from 3pt range? I would rather have the better team, which I believe we do. Will you hang a banner if you have a better 3pt percentage than IU?
Um, you seem confused. Trojan is the one making claims of who has better shooting. I am merely laughing at him. Frankly, one would think IU fans would be celebrating their biggest win in two years, but alas, some obviously like to fight a bad take to the end.

Wheeler is not good enough defensively for that to happen. He does some good things, can shoot, rebound, athletic, but he's not starting this season. He'll be good in about 15 minutes off the bench this year.

Hes not good enough YET. I use last seasons Michigan team as this years Purdue doppleganger.

Firstly, because Purdues offense right now looks an awfully lot like a Belein offense with all that high ball screen offense. He seems to fit in there. I think he can slowlly develop under the B1Gs defensive version of Beilein in Painter where he gradually turns into a B1G defender.

But whatever, Ive flooded the thread enough. I am EXCITE.

A little weary of Iowa going up against Manute Bol's offspring tonight but you got to figure Fran will get his team the win.

Fran is a deceptively elite coach.

There are only two active Big Ten coaches who have gone .500 or better for five straight seasons in conference....
  • Hall of Famer Tom Izzo
  • Fran - who had a magical run from 2013-17

Different styles. Purdue heavily relies on the three; 31 attempts today. 92 through three games. IU had 20 attempts; 66 through 3 games. IU looks to score more through transition, in the paint and/or off the drive. So really two different attacks. Meaning---Purdue is going to make a heck of a lot more three's. But that doesn't mean they are a better shooting team. I dunno who will end up the better shooting team. I don't really care. I do know I wouldn't trade the shooting of Fitzner and RP. Along with their abilities to score other ways. Combined they are shooting 9-15. Again, nowhere near the volume that Edwards/Cline are shooting it. But, that doesn't mean Fitz/RP aren;t just as capable.

I like our team. I like our perimeter threats. And when Romeo gets it going---And he will. Well, good luck guarding that dude.

A little weary of Iowa going up against Manute Bol's offspring tonight but you got to figure Fran will get his team the win.

There are only two active Big Ten coaches who have gone .500 or better for five straight seasons in conference....
  • Hall of Famer Tom Izzo
Yeah...I mean he's done one hell of a job hiding it...Laughing

• Hall of Famer Tom Izzo

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: jace46555

• Hall of Famer Tom Izzo

Gil? Is that you?

• Hall of Famer Tom Izzo

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Reactions: Jaycg15 and SNU0821

• Hall of Famer Tom Izzo
tenor.gif

Reactions: Jaycg15
Good to see Ryan Cline continuing to be aggressive off the dribble. It's been against less-than-stellar opponents, but the more he can show a credibility off the dribble and turning corners off handoffs will create more space on the perimeter.

He's already only four two-point field goals away from a new career high for season total. Which is pretty LOLish to think about.

Hes not good enough YET. I use last seasons Michigan team as this years Purdue doppleganger.

Firstly, because Purdues offense right now looks an awfully lot like a Belein offense with all that high ball screen offense. He seems to fit in there. I think he can slowlly develop under the B1Gs defensive version of Beilein in Painter where he gradually turns into a B1G defender.

But whatever, Ive flooded the thread enough. I am EXCITE.
even not considering his defense, he lacks any game off the dribble. again, i like him, but he's raw.

Different styles. Purdue heavily relies on the three; 31 attempts today. 92 through three games. IU had 20 attempts; 66 through 3 games. IU looks to score more through transition, in the paint and/or off the drive. So really two different attacks. Meaning---Purdue is going to make a heck of a lot more three's. But that doesn't mean they are a better shooting team. I dunno who will end up the better shooting team. I don't really care. I do know I wouldn't trade the shooting of Fitzner and RP. Along with their abilities to score other ways. Combined they are shooting 9-15. Again, nowhere near the volume that Edwards/Cline are shooting it. But, that doesn't mean Fitz/RP aren;t just as capable.

I like our team. I like our perimeter threats. And when Romeo gets it going---And he will. Well, good luck guarding that dude.

I get it that IU fans are happy to see their team is better, but they aren’t the only team from the conference that is looking hot early. If the long ball doesn’t drop, you may find the drives to the hoop and the breakaways become fewer and farther between.

I get it that IU fans are happy to see their team is better, but they aren’t the only team from the conference that is looking hot early. If the long ball doesn’t drop, you may find the drives to the hoop and the breakaways become fewer and farther between.
Um, I think that applies more to Purdue than it does for IU. If the long ball isn’t dropping for Purdue, how are you gonna get your points? Y’all are a team that clearly has to live and die by the 3pt shot. IU has more guys that can go get their own shot and a better post game than Purdue does.

Um, I think that applies more to Purdue than it does for IU. If the long ball isn’t dropping for Purdue, how are you gonna get your points? Y’all are a team that clearly has to live and die by the 3pt shot. IU has more guys that can go get their own shot and a better post game than Purdue does.
We’ll see how it holds up against better competition, but Purdue has looked great attacking the rim, thus far.

Who said they were? And the same can be said about Purdue. What ha[[ens when the 3 is falling? Where do you go for points? What happens when Carsen is off? Again---where do you go for points? as far as the drives to the hoops/breakaways fading if the shots aren't falling? Not really. Breakaways are created through defensive rebounding---And defense, i.e. steals. So rather or not shots are falling is irrelevant. As for drives to the bucket. Sure, that could stall if shots aren't dropping. Even then, IU also has the ability to post up Morgan, Fitzner or Davis. In other words, Indiana's not a one trick pony when it comes to offensive opportunity.
I said in the off-season that I wasn't concerned with perimeter shooting. And I'm not. Fitzner is more than capable. So is Phinisee. Romeo's shot will eventually start to fall. Plus, this team scores is a variety of ways: transition, drives, post play, etc...Shooting good from the perimeter isn't as important for IU, as it is for Purdue---Hence Purdue averaging 30 three-point attempts per game.

IU will be just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT