ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

I see Carsen Edward has a usage rate of around 38% so far this year which is very high
As the Big 10 season wears on especially with how strong the conference is, I look for him to start to wear down.

He's a great player but he's already starting to take plays off defensively, and with teams keying on him every night as the primary scorer he's going to wear down and start having bad games.

Trae Young last year is a perfect example. Oklahoma started off hot, but later on in the season he and the team completely fell apart. I look for something similar from Purdue this year.

As the Big 10 season wears on especially with how strong the conference is, I look for him to start to wear down.

He's a great player but he's already starting to take plays off defensively, and with teams keying on him every night as the primary scorer he's going to wear down and start having bad games.

Trae Young last year is a perfect example. Oklahoma started off hot, but later on in the season he and the team completely fell apart. I look for something similar from Purdue this year.
I don't know if he can sustain an effort like this, but junior Carsen Edwards is probably less likely to wear down than freshman Trae Young. I just don't see Purdue being able to be consistent enough with the status quo to maintain a high level of success.

I don't know if he can sustain an effort like this, but junior Carsen Edwards is probably less likely to wear down than freshman Trae Young. I just don't see Purdue being able to be consistent enough with the status quo to maintain a high level of success.
They will lose every game that he has an off night, and with that much of a workload he willl have plenty. There simply isn't any talent around him and like I said coming into the season, Purdue is an NIT club at best this year. Nobody is going to score 40 points on 25 shots every night with teams keying on him. Simply nobody, and even with that performance they still lost to Texas.

Reactions: jace46555
They will lose every game that he has an off night, and with that much of a workload he willl have plenty. There simply isn't any talent around him and like I said coming into the season, Purdue is an NIT club at best this year. Nobody is going to score 40 points on 25 shots every night with teams keying on him. Simply nobody, and even with that performance they still lost to Texas.
I don't think this is necessarily true. They have Cline who is more than capable of hitting 9 of 10 3pt shots in a single game. I would characterize it as if BOTH Cline and Edwards have an off night, they lose most games.

I don't think this is necessarily true. They have Cline who is more than capable of hitting 9 of 10 3pt shots in a single game. I would characterize it as if BOTH Cline and Edwards have an off night, they lose most games.
Cline isn't carrying any team to victory by himself, he's a spot up shooter. At the very least he needs someone to create shots for him. They need Carsen to be at the very least adequate or they could lose to any decent team in the Big 10 or elsewhere.

Agree. Cline is really damn important this year to keep the D honest. I’m amazed we beat MD with him playing so poorly. and even with his bad game in Austin, we win if he goes 2/9 instead of 1/9 (still a crappy night mind you)

Team def needs someone else to step up besides those two. If not we’ll miss the NCAAT imo

Reactions: SNU0821
Agree. Cline is really damn important this year to keep the D honest. I’m amazed we beat MD with him playing so poorly. and even with his bad game in Austin, we win if he goes 2/9 instead of 1/9 (still a crappy night mind you)

Team def needs someone else to step up besides those two. If not we’ll miss the NCAAT imo

At 2/9 instead of 1/9 you win? Huh?

Carsen had 20 against Maryland. Do you watch the games?

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Carsen had 20 against Maryland. Do you watch the games?
Just to win by 2 points at home, he better bring at least that every night against decent teams or they will get beat.

Cline isn't a bad complementary player but no spot up shooter is carrying a team by himself against decent teams. Especially not consistently.

Last edited:
Carsen scored 40 on 25 shots against Texas and they still lost. He won't play any better than that in any game the rest of the year.

It clearly doesn't take both of them having an off night to lose games.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Cline isn't carrying any team to victory by himself, he's a spot up shooter. At the very least he needs someone to create shots for him. They need Carsen to be at the very least adequate or they could lose to any decent team in the Big 10 or elsewhere.
But he does get like 9 3pt shots a game. My point is when Edwards has an off night, which I still think on his off nights he'll get 15-20+ points but it'll be on terrible shooting, Cline can more than make up for an inefficient Edwards. They just can't both be on an off shooting night.

But he does get like 9 3pt shots a game. My point is when Edwards has an off night, which I still think on his off nights he'll get 15-20+ points but it'll be on terrible shooting, Cline can more than make up for an inefficient Edwards. They just can't both be on an off shooting night.
Carsen getting 20 points on 25 shots will cost Purdue against almost any decent team. Also nobody goes 9-10 from 3 hardly ever, that's 27 points just on 3s at 90%. It would be a legendary performance that I doubt Cline is capable of.

We might just have to agree to disagree, ultimately we will see.

Carsen getting 20 points on 25 shots will cost Purdue against almost any decent team. Also nobody goes 9-10 from 3 hardly ever, that's 27 points just on 3s at 90%. It would be a legendary performance that I doubt Cline is capable of.

We might just have to agree to disagree, ultimately we will see.
He's hit 7 3's in a game twice this year already. My point is he can hit them at a very high rate which can make up for Edwards being inefficient.

What were the game results? Were they against cupcakes?
He was 7-11 from three at Florida State. We lost by 1 at a top 15 team with Carsen shooting 7-19 and having 8 turnovers.

We were 17-25 from the line and FSU was 17-20. If both teams approximate their season averages from the line, we almost certainly win. But our free throw defense sucks (as already mentioned).

Reactions: KisteK
He was 7-11 from three at Florida State. We lost by 1 at a top 15 team with Carsen shooting 7-19 and having 8 turnovers.
Look I don't think Purdue is going to suck, I just think they're a bubble team this year. It's understandable after all that you lost.

I also think Purdue's class coming in is very underrated, hell I'm a lot more positive about it than most of your own on GBI. Hopefully Gillis heals up pretty soon, Thompson is already a solid scorer, I still hate that IU didn't take Newman, he's going to be a stud, and you will have Aaron Wheeler to build around, Eric Hunter will get a year better ect..

There will be a learning curve early on next year but you guys should have a solid core going forward.

Reactions: KisteK and SNU0821
Look I don't think Purdue is going to suck, I just think they're a bubble team this year. It's understandable after all that you lost.

Before the season started, I thought we'd be a little better than on the bubble but that is before the Big Ten showed us all how tough it is.

The post about Purdue’s losses and Kenpom reeks of insecurity.
Didn’t mention kpom. Don’t trust your judgement of my state of being. Basically you are background noise on this thread. Please mention how disgusted you are with Turgeon - that’s some damn fine quality content both original and insightful.

Ya Purdue hasn't been good but it could be worse, we could be iowa.
Lol, If Purdue doesnt have basketball they are nothing.
Ya itd suck if your womans basketball team is ranked yearly. Wrestling team is ranked top 5 yearly, baseball has done well. Football averages 8-9 wins per year (better than Purdue), one bad year in mens basketball out of the last four...
At least your not Iowa.

Last edited:
Didn’t mention kpom. Don’t trust your judgement of my state of being. Basically you are background noise on this thread. Please mention how disgusted you are with Turgeon - that’s some damn fine quality content both original and insightful.

Purdue losses so far...
#10 Fla St (away) 1 point loss
#13 Va Tech (neutral) 6 point loss
# 5 UM (away) 19 point loss
NR Texas (away) 4 point loss

That’s it - Purdue is a work in progress . The losses listed above are not bad losses. More than likely those are wins at home. Purdue can’t close - that’s a problem but none of those losses are remotely bad. KP agrees- and he’s smarter than at least 80% of the posters in this thread. All IU fans included in the 80%. (There* slow)

Congrats you played yourself

I agree, but thought you said earlier that Purdue was NIT at best this year.

Note: On phone, and too lazy to scroll through. Apologies if it was a different iu poster
Bubble/NIT is the same thing in my opinion. Nobody is 100% on predictions, I just think they will be on the wrong side. Did you read the rest of my post? Purdue will be fine going forward.

Ya itd suck if your womans basketball team is ranked yearly. Wrestling team is ranked top 5 yearly, baseball has done well. Football averages 8-9 wins per year (better than Purdue), one bad year in mens basketball out of the last four...
At least your not Iowa.
When you have to resort to mentioning Olympic sports, you've lost. How has Iowa fared against Purdue football the last couple of years?

When you have to resort to mentioning Olympic sports, you've lost. How has Iowa fared against Purdue football the last couple of years?
Sometimes the better team loses.
4 bowl games in 11 years though... Three of those bowl games featured a 6-6 Purdue squad. 4 bowl games in 11 years and almost didnt make 3 of them... Ouch.

Please list all of Purdues recent sports accomplishments for all to see.

I've lost.... Lol

At least your not Iowa.
Your basketball program is 92-124 in conference last 13 seasons. You've made the tourney 3 times in last 13 seasons. Stfu

ADVERTISEMENT