ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Him & Parrish are legit the only ones I’ve seen have Purdue make it to sweet 16 lol
I listened to Hummel-Goodman earlier. Goodman had MSU (?) and Hummel had Purdue.

I expect the Memphis thing to be very popular. Don't really blame them and honestly I don't think it's the worst narrative for this team to listen to.

I'm gonna worry about Kent State first.....
Fair enough, since I saw they gave Houston and Gonzaga games on the road.

The rest of the stats that I like to check when filling out didn't look super impressive, outside of the fact that they are very good at turning teams over.

Fair enough, since I saw they gave Houston and Gonzaga games on the road.

The rest of the stats that I like to check when filling out didn't look super impressive, outside of the fact that they are very good at turning teams over.
They remind me alot of Penn State,or Maryland. They shoot a lot of three's--24 per game----but only at a 33% clip. So nowhere near as efficient as PSU---but comparable to MD. Athletic 4's, but not any real size----6'7". Thier two starting guards shoot 29%/30% from three, and barely t 40% overall; they are 45% as a team. They will pressure you, and are solid defensively--held Houston to 49 points. They did play Houston and GU solid, but also lost to Ball State and 12-19 No.Illinois.

IU needs to establish TJD, Race and Malik early---but gonna need to hit some 3's, b/c they will double Trayce. Take care of the ball, rebound and hit at least 7+ three's, and I feel we win comfortably.

But of course Kent is the exact type of team that sends IU home early, by hitting 14 three's.

We get past them, I like our chances to get to the SW 16.

Reactions: IUBtown
They remind me alot of Penn State,or Maryland. They shoot a lot of three's--24 per game----but only at a 33% clip. So nowhere near as efficient as PSU---but comparable to MD. Athletic 4's, but not any real size----6'7". Thier two starting guards shoot 29%/30% from three, and barely t 40% overall; they are 45% as a team. They will pressure you, and are solid defensively--held Houston to 49 points. They did play Houston and GU solid, but also lost to Ball State and 12-19 No.Illinois.

IU needs to establish TJD, Race and Malik early---but gonna need to hit some 3's, b/c they will double Trayce. Take care of the ball, rebound and hit at least 7+ three's, and I feel we win comfortably.

But of course Kent is the exact type of team that sends IU home early, by hitting 14 three's.

We get past them, I like our chances to get to the SW 16.
Yeah I'm sure they'll sell out on TJD and make IU hit shots. Like you said, their best bet is to get a big advantage in points off the 3 ball.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
'80 was also the year Purdue defeated IU, a team led by Mike Woodson, in a Sweet 16 matchup.
Now do the year UW defeated Purdue in the Elite 8.

in-theyear2000-sing.gif
chris-farley.gif

The more I have had time to reflect on Illinois' draw, it could definitely be worse. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much expect to get spanked by Kansas if we win ... but Arkansas is a way better draw than I initially thought. We are both in the "talented but underachieving" category, and neither one of us can shoot the damn ball for shit. It's teams like PSU that can kill us from three that have generally given us the most fits. Not confident in a win Thursday by any means, but we could be in a worse spot for an 8/9 game.

Quick question for the crew ... I was trying to measure just how badly Illinois (and all other Big Ten schools) has underperformed our seeds in the NCAA Tournament since 1985 when it expanded to 64 teams, and I was not sure how harsh to be for each seed line.

For example, I originally used the Final Four as the "as expected" benchmark for a #1 seed and anything else being a "disappointment." Then it would go down to a #2 seed expecting to make the Elite Eight, #3 and #4 seeds making the Sweet Sixteen, #5/6/7 seeds making the Second Round, no expectations for a #8/9 result and then #10 and lower expecting to get bounced in the First Round.

Seems about right to me, but I was not sure if I should be a bit more forgiving to adjust for upsets and stuff (e.g., a #1 seed should expect "at least an Elite Eight" since it's pretty hard to make the Final Four).

Yeah I'm sure they'll sell out on TJD and make IU hit shots. Like you said, their best bet is to get a big advantage in points off the 3 ball.
They do not shoot it well----at all. 32%----160th nationally. Their two starting guards shoot 29%/30%.

Which means they will hit 15 on Friday. Book it.

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
ADVERTISEMENT