***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah he's not a bad coach and he arrived to Michigan with a pretty incredible resume, but I think he's underperforming based on pay and the overall resources they've given him. He's been pretty bad in big games / rivalries / bowls as well.

I also think his offense is worrisome. Doesn't seem to have much of an identity to it.

I really don't care about the pay. I said the same thing when people were saying Brohm got paid last year. It really doesn't make a difference to me what a coach is getting paid.

Ohio State (0-4)
Michigan is not on Ohio State's level and hasn't been for awhile. It sucks and it would be sweet if Harbaugh could get Michigan there but (unlike some other Michigan fans) I don't judge our coach based on how they do against Ohio State. If that's the bar Michigan's set year in and year out, they are going to be disappointed.

Notre Dame (0-1)
I don't really care about this rivalry. It's a fun OOC game but there's about 4 or 5 Big Ten teams I'd rather beat than Notre dame. Regardless, Harbaugh has only played Notre Dame once and it was in South Bend. 0-2 is looming.

Michigan State (2-2)
This is my favorite rivalry. Hoke and RichRod went 1-6 against MSU. I went to a college that was about half Michigan fans and half MSU fans and Michigan went 0-4 while I was in school. It was miserable. Going 2-3 against MSU would be upsetting, for sure.

Just my perspective.

PG Jalen Terry decomitted from MSU.

Just a wonderful few days for MSU sports.

hellicopter dad who is worried his son won’t winning the starting PG job at MSU.

fine either way, just means more PG duty for rocket.

hellicopter dad who is worried his son won’t winning the starting PG job at MSU.

fine either way, just means more PG duty for rocket.

Pretty sure the family aau program does not get along with MSU and UM(under beilein not sure about under Juwan) and encourages their players to go other places.

Basketball recruiting is pretty much equal to football recruiting now. Hard to take the first commitment serious with a lot of players. Especially if they commit before their senior year of school.

Reactions: SNU0821
Loyer lit it up at the high school level but he’s also like 5’10. I’d rather have the kid that’s 6’3 and 50 lbs heavier than the athletic smaller guard. It takes a special kid to succeed at 5’10.

Reactions: JRMSU and Sparty_0n
They are very similar stats wise (in EYBL). Terry obviously uber athletic, but his size may be an issue. Hoggard seems more college ready, to me.
Hoggard has a higher ceiling IMO, while Terry is better off the bat. Hoggard’s biggest issue are things that can be improved on. He’s not in the best shape, and that’s his biggest knock. That can be improved with one good summer in college. You can’t teach 6’3. Terry is short. He’s 5’11 on a good day.

I really don't care about the pay. I said the same thing when people were saying Brohm got paid last year. It really doesn't make a difference to me what a coach is getting paid.

Ohio State (0-4)
Michigan is not on Ohio State's level and hasn't been for awhile. It sucks and it would be sweet if Harbaugh could get Michigan there but (unlike some other Michigan fans) I don't judge our coach based on how they do against Ohio State. If that's the bar Michigan's set year in and year out, they are going to be disappointed.

Notre Dame (0-1)
I don't really care about this rivalry. It's a fun OOC game but there's about 4 or 5 Big Ten teams I'd rather beat than Notre dame. Regardless, Harbaugh has only played Notre Dame once and it was in South Bend. 0-2 is looming.

Michigan State (2-2)
This is my favorite rivalry. Hoke and RichRod went 1-6 against MSU. I went to a college that was about half Michigan fans and half MSU fans and Michigan went 0-4 while I was in school. It was miserable. Going 2-3 against MSU would be upsetting, for sure.

Just my perspective.
I think the rivalry stuff could be excused to an extent, but added with the fact he's 1-9 or something against the top 10 and 1-3 in bowls...his big game record isn't what you'd expect. He's gotta get that turned around, and being drubbed by Wisco early this year doesn't help.

I think the rivalry stuff could be excused to an extent, but added with the fact he's 1-9 or something against the top 10 and 1-3 in bowls...his big game record isn't what you'd expect. He's gotta get that turned around, and being drubbed by Wisco early this year doesn't help.

The bowl record I don’t really care about with how players treat them these days. Healthy starters sitting out bowl games to get ready for the NFL draft is annoying. I’d put bowl record around Notre Dame rivalry in terms of how much stock I put into the record.

@Toast.

This is from a Florida fan on the football board. Its numbers going into this season that may help put things in context.

“Won/Loss record

School-----------------------W/L Record

Ohio State...............................44-8
Wisconsin................................42-12
Michigan..................................38-14
Penn State...............................38-15
Iowa.........................................37-16
Northwestern...........................36-17
Mich State...............................32-20
Minnesota................................26-24
Nebraska.................................23-27
Indiana.....................................22-28
Maryland..................................18-31
Purdue.....................................18-32
Illinois.......................................14-34
Rutgers....................................11-37

Recruiting

School-------------------------Star Average

Ohio State...............................3.70
Penn State..............................3.52
Michigan.................................3.50
Nebraska................................3.26
Mich State..............................3.23
Wisconsin...............................3.11
Maryland.................................2.94
Iowa........................................2.89
Northwestern..........................2.88
Minnesota...............................2.80
Indiana....................................2.79
Rutgers...................................2.70
Illinois.....................................2.68
Purdue....................................2.64

Basically, Michigan plays to the level of their talent. They aren't underachievers unless they are masked by a weak schedule.

# 9+ win P5 opponents since 2015:

School-----------------------------------# 9+ win P5 Opponents.21..........................................8-13
Mich State.................................................20..........................................7-13
Maryland...................................................20..........................................1-19
Ohio State.................................................18.........................................14-4
Iowa..........................................................17...........................................6-11
Northwestern.............................................17..........................................5-12
Nebraska...................................................17..........................................2-15
Indiana......................................................17..........................................0-17
Wisconsin..................................................15..........................................5-10
Illinois........................................................15..........................................0-15
Minnesota..................................................15..........................................0-15
Penn State.................................................17..........................................6-11
Purdue.......................................................13..........................................2-11
Rutgers......................................................18..........................................0-18

I have no love for the Weasels or their haughty fans, but frankly, given their performance, talent level and strength of schedule, I think they are dooing what they should be doing...”

More wins against the elite teams would be great. However, considering how bad Michigan was under Rich Rod and Hoke, what Harbaugh has done is acceptable to me.

Reactions: SNU0821
I’m going to take another shot at predicting the all conference teams before the season starts.

1st Team
Cassius Winston
Ayo Dosunmu
Lamar Stevens
Jalen Smith
Kaleb Wesson

2nd Team
Zavier Simpson
Anthony Cowen
Joe Wieskamp
Nate Reuvers
Xavier Tillman

3rd Team
DJ Carton
Devonte Green
Nojel Eastern
Jon Teske
Daniel Oturu

POY Cassius Winston

All Defensive Team
Zavier Simpson
Nojel Eastern
Aaron Henry
Jon Teske/Matt Haarms/Xavier Tillman

Couldn’t pick so I put all 3

DPOY Zavier Simpson

All Freshman Team
DJ Carton
Rocket Watts
Franz Wagner
TJD
Kofi Cockburn

FOY DJ Carton

I’m going to take another shot at predicting the all conference teams before the season starts.

1st Team
Cassius Winston
Ayo Dosunmu
Lamar Stevens
Jalen Smith
Kaleb Wesson

2nd Team
Zavier Simpson
Anthony Cowen
Joe Wieskamp
Nate Reuvers
Xavier Tillman

3rd Team
DJ Carton
Devonte Green
Nojel Eastern
Jon Teske
Daniel Oturu

POY Cassius Winston

All Defensive Team
Zavier Simpson
Nojel Eastern
Aaron Henry
Jon Teske/Matt Haarms/Xavier Tillman

Couldn’t pick so I put all 3

DPOY Zavier Simpson

All Freshman Team
DJ Carton
Rocket Watts
Franz Wagner
TJD
Kofi Cockburn

FOY DJ Carton

Aaron Henry not even making the third team is blasphemous.

Aaron Henry not even making the third team is blasphemous.
I had a hard time leaving him off. I don’t know statistically what he does will be enough, but I do believe he is a top 15 player in the conference. With all the talent on MSU I just can’t see him averaging more than 10 or so.

Reactions: JRMSU
@Toast.

This is from a Florida fan on the football board. Its numbers going into this season that may help put things in context.

“Won/Loss record

School-----------------------W/L Record

Ohio State...............................44-8
Wisconsin................................42-12
Michigan..................................38-14
Penn State...............................38-15
Iowa.........................................37-16
Northwestern...........................36-17
Mich State...............................32-20
Minnesota................................26-24
Nebraska.................................23-27
Indiana.....................................22-28
Maryland..................................18-31
Purdue.....................................18-32
Illinois.......................................14-34
Rutgers....................................11-37

Recruiting

School-------------------------Star Average

Ohio State...............................3.70
Penn State..............................3.52
Michigan.................................3.50
Nebraska................................3.26
Mich State..............................3.23
Wisconsin...............................3.11
Maryland.................................2.94
Iowa........................................2.89
Northwestern..........................2.88
Minnesota...............................2.80
Indiana....................................2.79
Rutgers...................................2.70
Illinois.....................................2.68
Purdue....................................2.64

Basically, Michigan plays to the level of their talent. They aren't underachievers unless they are masked by a weak schedule.

# 9+ win P5 opponents since 2015:

School-----------------------------------# 9+ win P5 Opponents.21..........................................8-13
Mich State.................................................20..........................................7-13
Maryland...................................................20..........................................1-19
Ohio State.................................................18.........................................14-4
Iowa..........................................................17...........................................6-11
Northwestern.............................................17..........................................5-12
Nebraska...................................................17..........................................2-15
Indiana......................................................17..........................................0-17
Wisconsin..................................................15..........................................5-10
Illinois........................................................15..........................................0-15
Minnesota..................................................15..........................................0-15
Penn State.................................................17..........................................6-11
Purdue.......................................................13..........................................2-11
Rutgers......................................................18..........................................0-18

I have no love for the Weasels or their haughty fans, but frankly, given their performance, talent level and strength of schedule, I think they are dooing what they should be doing...”

More wins against the elite teams would be great. However, considering how bad Michigan was under Rich Rod and Hoke, what Harbaugh has done is acceptable to me.
Just like during the b-ball coaching search and subsequent hire of a zero experience coach, it's strange that most everyone around here seems to agree that Michigan is a premier athletic department...except the Michigan fans.

When we look at the overall talent on the Michigan roster in year 5, that's something that is entirely owned by Harbaugh. He has pretty much zero barriers to getting talent and running an elite program. He's got a historic program in a solid football state that has unlimited resources and even can promise ritzy international trips to its recruits. But instead he's closer to Iowa than OSU.

Yeah, he's clearly better than Hoke/DickRod. But he really hasn't had a very good showing thus far at Michigan.

Just like during the b-ball coaching search and subsequent hire of a zero experience coach, it's strange that most everyone around here seems to agree that Michigan is a premier athletic department...except the Michigan fans.

When we look at the overall talent on the Michigan roster in year 5, that's something that is entirely owned by Harbaugh. He has pretty much zero barriers to getting talent and running an elite program. He's got a historic program in a solid football state that has unlimited resources and even can promise ritzy international trips to its recruits. But instead he's closer to Iowa than OSU.

Yeah, he's clearly better than Hoke/DickRod. But he really hasn't had a very good showing thus far at Michigan.

I’m at peace with 3 10-win seasons in 4 years after living through how miserable the stretch before him was.

Reactions: RichardMassive
For the record, I would agree with anyone saying Harbaugh's expectations (including my expectations) were too high.

I don't agree that Harbaugh isn't at least a decent coach, though.
I mean, ummm....the dude is 43-15 @ Michigan; 5-1 this year. He's 29-10 in the Big 10. Her had one "bad" season---2017, where Michigan went 8-5. I think he's a very good coach. I just think the expectations where waaaaaay to much. And IMO, those expectations have diminished his coaching abilities. Also---he went to 2 NFC title games, and a Super Bowl, in 4 seasons with the 49er's. I mean, he wins. Again, the expectations for him at UM IMO has made impossible for him to be viewed as anything but a failure.

That is stupid.

Reactions: RichardMassive
I mean, ummm....the dude is 43-15 @ Michigan; 5-1 this year. He's 29-10 in the Big 10. Her had one "bad" season---2017, where Michigan went 8-5. I think he's a very good coach. I just think the expectations where waaaaaay to much. And IMO, those expectations have diminished his coaching abilities. Also---he went to 2 NFC title games, and a Super Bowl, in 4 seasons with the 49er's. I mean, he wins. Again, the expectations for him at UM IMO has made impossible for him to be viewed as anything but a failure.

That is stupid.
when a coach gets back to back classes that are rated #4,
2016 #4
2017 #4
2018 #24
2019 #10

finishing 10-3 is no longer acceptable, that 16 class are SR's and that 17 class is now JR's.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
ADVERTISEMENT