***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
All I see is a good defense, absolutely no offense, and a lot of hope that a couple of guys turn into studs. But, it's Painter.

Yeah, last year was really impressive imo. I’m still kinda floored we finished 1st with the personnel losses

We lost a shit load of offense, as you posted above. There are a ton (TON!) of shots up for grabs this year. Guys like Wheeler and Stefanovic will have a chance to play major minutes and launch a ton of shots. Hunter was a great recruit but struggled beyond belief on offense. No idea how he will do as a soph.

Agree with otte on the 2-7 range being possible. I’m guessing we will be in the 6/7 in the league but who the hell knows. This offseason the B10 lost a lot of players and a top 2 (imo) coach. Should be another fun, crazy year in the middle (I’d be shocked if MSU doesn’t run away with the conference title, so that makes it a bit less interesting)

Reactions: Jaycg15 and SNU0821
This board/thread was so much better when it wasn’t taken so seriously. Quit the “doxing”. Let me/us talk shit about another team without getting so butthurt. We would all get along with pints in front of us
So why don't you directly tell the one person who does it to stop being such a creeper?

I think “absolutely no offense” may be a bit harsh.
Yeah, that's my bias speaking. I should've said no proven scorers. You have some guys that flashed potential, but it's a lot easier to do that when entire defensive philosophies were "stop Carsen".

Reactions: BoilerExpress
Yeah, that's my bias speaking. I should've said no proven scorers. You have some guys that flashed potential, but it's a lot easier to do that when entire defensive philosophies were "stop Carsen".
That’s fair and do think the D will be a strength in comparison to the O. I’m probably giving the benefit of the doubt too much too with the kenpom O-ratings the last 4 years of

I do think Haarms and Trevion will take another step as scorers and be really solid down low overall. Wheeler will be a stud with his combo of athleticism and shooting but it’s just a matter of if it’s this season or he needs another to adjust. Eastern will get junk baskets like last year and probably post on opposing guards more often like he showed some last season.

Then need a couple of Sasha, Hunter, Newman, IT, Gillis, Proctor to step up but I’m confident a couple of them will work out.

I would agree he's fine for depth. We're still talking about Iowa's 5th best player...unless you have some big holes or a complete dearth of shooting at all positions, he's a 15 mpg reserve for a team like Kansas IMO.

Recruiting, man.
So, after Moss' visit, word spread that KU hadn't offered the Iowa transplant - who then popped for Arkansas.

If true, Kansas had to have been pretty sure they were gonna land Hampton. Also if true, did they offer only after he backed out at Arky?
Who would want to play for a program that didn't offer when they had you on an official visit weeks earlier.

When he backed out on Arkansas, I actually thought he might stay in IC, seeing how they'd need offense now that JoBo was (most likely) sidelined.

Iowa fans (loads) swear he's "not that good", but with Wilson in tow, it's nice knowing there's another option in case homie does disappear.

I hope Moss plays well. If not, he'll sit.
I'm not really gonna count on what he's shown while under Fran. If I had a kid hitting 3s at 40+%, I'd want him shooting his shot more than ~3x/game. But Fran and IC loved them some Jesusball.

Nebraska's schedule.. yikes!
Laughable that their best (noncon) matchup could be Creighton.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Recruiting, man.
So, after Moss' visit, word spread that KU hadn't offered the Iowa transplant - who then popped for Arkansas.

If true, Kansas had to have been pretty sure they were gonna land Hampton. Also if true, did they offer only after he backed out at Arky?
Who would want to play for a program that didn't offer when they had you on an official visit weeks earlier.

When he backed out on Arkansas, I actually thought he might stay in IC, seeing how they'd need offense now that JoBo was (most likely) sidelined.

Iowa fans (loads) swear he's "not that good", but with Wilson in tow, it's nice knowing there's another option in case homie does disappear.

I'm not really gonna count on what he's shown while under Fran. If I had a kid hitting 3s at 40+%, I'd want him shooting his shot more than ~3x/game. But Fran and IC loved them some Jesusball.

Yea but its not like offense was Iowa’s problem. I feel like Moss had such a great % because he got wide open looks due to other (better) shooters being on the floor. He might succeed because Kansas is just a better team and he will get better coaching, but I would definitely take a wait and see approach.

Yea but its not like offense was Iowa’s problem. I feel like Moss had such a great % because he got wide open looks due to other (better) shooters being on the floor. He might succeed because Kansas is just a better team and he will get better coaching, but I would definitely take a wait and see approach.

I'd guess he'll be open if Dok and Dot are healthy. But, I'm not nearly as high on Kansas as the talking heads. I remember a whole 12 months ago when Kansas also looked sexy af preseason.

Kansas didn't do a damn thing last season.

That’s fair and do think the D will be a strength in comparison to the O. I’m probably giving the benefit of the doubt too much too with the kenpom O-ratings the last 4 years of

I do think Haarms and Trevion will take another step as scorers and be really solid down low overall. Wheeler will be a stud with his combo of athleticism and shooting but it’s just a matter of if it’s this season or he needs another to adjust. Eastern will get junk baskets like last year and probably post on opposing guards more often like he showed some last season.

Then need a couple of Sasha, Hunter, Newman, IT, Gillis, Proctor to step up but I’m confident a couple of them will work out.
I'm not worried about Haarms. I think he is who he is which is a solid role player. I would be surprised if he suddenly became some force down low or the guy you give the ball to get a bucket when the game is on the line. Haas, you could do that, Haarms? Not so much IMO. Now, Trevion, I think will be a very solid player. I think he is the one that will make a big jump from last year. Partially due to more playing time, change in offensive schemes/philosophy and just adding a year of experience. But will he be able to stay out of foul trouble? I expect Wheeler to be solid. He showed he has it in him, but can he do it if the defense isn't focused on one player and possibly on him? Not sure. I also think Hunter is gonna be a good one this year. I really like him. He didn't shoot well, but he was a freshman, so I take that with a grain of salt like I do countless other freshman who are known for being shooters not having a great percentage. Maybe I don't know enough about him, but Sasha doesn't strike me as another Mathias. He seems like a 6th or 7th man to me. Totally could be wrong on that. I'd guess Newman gets solid minutes next year. Not sure how he'll shoot it as I mentioned lots of freshman shooters struggle.

Overall, as I pointed out earlier, I think Purdue will be a tournament team. They should be solid defensively. Not sure about the offense but I tend to think it'll be pretty good given Painter. Will that be enough to bring them to the top four of the conference? Not sure. But I do think they're a top half of the conference team I'm just not sure where. I don't expect them to just drop off after the loss of Edwards, but it could take some time to gel and get rolling. I put them on the same tier as a whole bunch of other teams like Wisconsin, OSU, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. That group is gonna be hard to pin point. All of them of course after MSU who is at the top by itself.

Recruiting, man.

I hope he sits. Will definitely help us in Chicago! The Charlie Moore thing has helped us with Miller, so this would be another thing to bolster our sell. :D

Are you guys nervous about the FBI/NCAA thing?

Moss is a good piece. If he can put it all together, he has NBA potential, but it seems like he's just on the wrong side of that cusp.

Reactions: KisteK
Purdue's non-conference schedule appears to be pretty meaty given how many players will be asked to take on new roles.

Non-conference schedule (last year's NET ranking in parentheses)

H - Green Bay (190)
H - Texas (33)
A - Marquette (29)

Emerald Coast Classic:
H - Jacksonville State (125)
H - Chicago State - 353 (DFL)
Then two of (haven't seen a bracket):
N - VCU (38)
N - Tennessee (9)
N - Florida State (15)

H - Virginia (1)
A - Ohio (177)
N - Butler (66)
H - Central Michigan (122)

That's a guaranteed 5 games against teams with top 40 NET rankings last year. I do like having only one sub-200 team on the docket (and we didn't have a choice on that one).

I would be surprised if he suddenly became some force down low or the guy you give the ball to get a bucket when the game is on the line. Haas, you could do that, Haarms?
I know this was a point of contention, but a ton of Haarms production was setup by Cline in PNR, and to a lesser extent, Carsen. I don't really see that guy in the backcourt that's really good in PNR this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if Haarms improves but his numbers are relatively static. I don't really see him as a destination post scorer, more as a guy that gets opportunistic buckets through ball movement, and his length/mobility.

I think his potential really lies in his ability to start to hit jumpers and threes. It's hard to count on, but we've seen it from him some. He didn't really look to shoot all that often this past season, but his mid-range jumper is solid. Out of necessity, I think he has to this year, and hope it gets him in a rhythm.

Tre will likely be a big part of the offense. Kid has to get in better shape, and not be as aggressive challenging shots defensively. But he has really, really good offensive feel and a nice repertoire of post moves.

Tre will likely be a big part of the offense. Kid has to get in better shape, and not be as aggressive challenging shots defensively. But he has really, really good offensive feel and a nice repertoire of post moves.
Am I wrong/weird for thinking Trevion reminds me of a Ward/Deron Davis type of guy? I mean a not real above the rim type post player and more of a physical, skilled big with solid post moves? If he can stay out of foul trouble, I think he'll be a really integral piece for you guys this year.

Am I wrong/weird for thinking Trevion reminds me of a Ward/Deron Davis type of guy? I mean a not real above the rim type post player and more of a physical, skilled big with solid post moves? If he can stay out of foul trouble, I think he'll be a really integral piece for you guys this year.
Yeah those aren't bad ones, I'd just contend that he has more potential to develop into a 4 than those guys. He has really good handles for his size, and is a good passer as well. Dude just has to get in better shape.

When Purdue played Northwestern last year in football, I was probably 4 rows behind Tre, and he looked like a left tackle prospect. He slimmed down like crazy from August to December...now he needs to continue to build off that. I think that's going to be huge for him both ways.

I do think we're going to go through stretches where we really feed him in the post, both b/c he's a really good low post scorer and b/c I think we'll be searching for offense at times.

Recruiting, man.

most Iowa fans only complaint was he was too inconsistant, he was not a consistant scorer and took plays off, there was really no questions about how good he was, most Iowa fans were disappointed when he left,

if Moss would have played more consistant they and I feel they would have won more games,

I hope he sits. Will definitely help us in Chicago! The Charlie Moore thing has helped us with Miller, so this would be another thing to bolster our sell. :D

Are you guys nervous about the FBI/NCAA thing?

Moss is a good piece. If he can put it all together, he has NBA potential, but it seems like he's just on the wrong side of that cusp.
I saw that Moss was a Simeon kid, and Charlie was a Chuck-er (hence Chuck-Moore Charlie).. but I too would like the Ill to keep all it's not-that-great talent to in-state.. Winking

As for the "investigation", just get the damn thing over already, dole out the penalties so Kansas can make their next move.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Moss could created his own shots, its not like there were better shooters it was because the others were all good 3 point shooters, also most teams made Jordan the main point of the defense.

from what I have read the Kansas media are saying that Moss fills a hole in Kansas outside shooting. but he has a nice mid range game as well to go with his defense.

to me Moss was a bigger loss that Cook, Cook had no range outside 5', didn't block or rebound for a player with his athletic ability,

he avg'd 7.6 rpg
he avg'd 14.5 ppg
total blocks 18.
the stat that Iowa will not miss were TO's of 92.

Yeah those aren't bad ones, I'd just contend that he has more potential to develop into a 4 than those guys. He has really good handles for his size, and is a good passer as well. Dude just has to get in better shape.

When Purdue played Northwestern last year in football, I was probably 4 rows behind Tre, and he looked like a left tackle prospect. He slimmed down like crazy from August to December...now he needs to continue to build off that. I think that's going to be huge for him both ways.

I do think we're going to go through stretches where we really feed him in the post, both b/c he's a really good low post scorer and b/c I think we'll be searching for offense at times.
In some of the videos I've seen this summer, he looks a little more slim and more explosive. I'm not really worried about his conditioning. I am intrigued by his versatility. I just hope he puts as much time into working on his post game as he appears to be working on his face up game. Here is a link of him earlier this month working on his versatility.

Moss could created his own shots, its not like there were better shooters it was because the others were all good 3 point shooters, also most teams made Jordan the main point of the defense.

giphy.gif

I know this was a point of contention, but a ton of Haarms production was setup by Cline in PNR, and to a lesser extent, Carsen. I don't really see that guy in the backcourt that's really good in PNR this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if Haarms improves but his numbers are relatively static. I don't really see him as a destination post scorer, more as a guy that gets opportunistic buckets through ball movement, and his length/mobility.

I think his potential really lies in his ability to start to hit jumpers and threes. It's hard to count on, but we've seen it from him some. He didn't really look to shoot all that often this past season, but his mid-range jumper is solid. Out of necessity, I think he has to this year, and hope it gets him in a rhythm.

Haarms scoring was dictated by those around him and how the offense flowed, this past season was all about Carson, if the offense is run thru Haarms more his numbers will be a lot better, like the saying goes Bigs develop more slowly. this is his 3rd year time for him to take a big step forward,

as for shooting 3's he does not need that to be successful as all he needs to do is extend his range to outside 10-15' and maybe 17'. he needs to keep his 7'2 frame where he can do the lost damage in getting offensive rebounds and put backs,

this shit about shooting 3's is getting out of hand, why in earth would you take your Tallest player away from where he can do the most damage.

now if you had 2 Haarms type players on the team I can see one going out past the arc

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
In some of the videos I've seen this summer, he looks a little more slim and more explosive. I'm not really worried about his conditioning. I am intrigued by his versatility. I just hope he puts as much time into working on his post game as he appears to be working on his face up game. Here is a link of him earlier this month working on his versatility.

I'm worried about his conditioning b/c I think it's simply the biggest thing that's holding him back at this point. He was GASSED at the end of the B1G season and in the B1G tourney, after essentially sitting out the non-con games and then only playing 12 mpg in conference. If he's playing 20 mpg from game 1, he's gotta be in much better shape to last the whole season.

Plus if he gets in shape and to that 250 range, that's where I think he can start to present some match up problems by playing both the 4 and 5. Where this year, when we play him alongside Haarms, I think we have to leave Tre at the 5 and put Haarms on the 4 man, which isn't ideal as you want Haarms protecting rim.

I'm worried about his conditioning b/c I think it's simply the biggest thing that's holding him back at this point. He was GASSED at the end of the B1G season and in the B1G tourney, after essentially sitting out the non-con games and then only playing 12 mpg in conference. If he's playing 20 mpg from game 1, he's gotta be in much better shape to last the whole season.

Plus if he gets in shape and to that 250 range, that's where I think he can start to present some match up problems by playing both the 4 and 5. Where this year, when we play him alongside Haarms, I think we have to leave Tre at the 5 and put Haarms on the 4 man, which isn't ideal as you want Haarms protecting rim.
I get what you are saying. I think that rapid weight loss was a hindrance as much as a help last season. He only needs to lose 10-15 pounds this year (though it's probably 20-25 pounds of fat while gaining 10 pounds of muscle).

A full year with a nutritionist should do wonders for his stamina.

I get what you are saying. I think that rapid weight loss was a hindrance as much as a help last season. He only needs to lose 10-15 pounds this year (though it's probably 20-25 pounds of fat while gaining 10 pounds of muscle).

A full year with a nutritionist should do wonders for his stamina.
I do think the weight loss probably impacted stamina. But similar to Hunter's 3 ball, I'm going to call his stamina a concern until I see otherwise. Watching him down the stretch last year, it was really apparent how much his conditioning needed improvement. That week off helped him get going in the tourney again though, which was nice to see. Actually him, Hunter, and Wheeler played really well during the E8 run, which gives me hope.

LOL I didn't even read the part where you said Moss will be the bigger loss then Cook. Holy Fvck
why not Moss was 48 of 114 from 3
Cook 0-6 from 3
Moss was 76.7% from the FTL
Cook was 64.4% from the FTL
Moss had 49 TO's
Cook had 92 TO's
Moss had 32 steals
Cook had 24
the only meaning full stat where Cook has the advantage
6'9 Cook 18 blocks
6'5 Moss had 7

looking at the comparison Moss was the bigger loss,

the statement was accurate.
Jordan shot 38.3% from 3
Moss shot 42.1% from 3
Wieskamp shot 42.4% from 3'
Baer shot 38.1% from 3

Moss had the 2nd highest 3 point shooting %.
Like I said Moss had 3 other very good 3 point shooters around him and his shooting is what Self wanted and needed,

why not Moss was 48 of 114 from 3
Cook 0-6 from 3
Moss was 76.7% from the FTL
Cook was 64.4% from the FTL
Moss had 49 TO's
Cook had 92 TO's
Moss had 32 steals
Cook had 24
the only meaning full stat where Cook has the advantage
6'9 Cook 18 blocks
6'5 Moss had 7

looking at the comparison Moss was the bigger loss,

Laughing

Cook- 14.7 pts, 7.6 boards, 2.4 assists
Moss- 9.2, 2.9, 1.8

Cook was your best all around player

the statement was accurate.
Jordan shot 38.3% from 3
Moss shot 42.1% from 3
Wieskamp shot 42.4% from 3'
Baer shot 38.1% from 3

Moss had the 2nd highest 3 point shooting %.
Like I said Moss had 3 other very good 3 point shooters around him and his shooting is what Self wanted and needed,
Looks like Iowa lost almost all their 3 or shooting.

@Jaycg15, currently eating at Portillo's and im really digging this place! Is this just a Champaign-urbana type of restaurant, or are there others throughout the state?

This board/thread was so much better when it wasn’t taken so seriously. Quit the “doxing”. Let me/us talk shit about another team without getting so butthurt. We would all get along with pints in front of us
This is the exact reason i only come around a few times a month now. It had gotten to the point where just a random harmless comment would turn into 6 pages of guys screaming at each other like we're all little girls on the playground during recess.

I wish i could say it wasn't from my teams fans, but lets be real.....95% of it was from Purdue and IU fans bitching about something.

Laughing

Cook- 14.7 pts, 7.6 boards, 2.4 assists
Moss- 9.2, 2.9, 1.8

Cook was your best all around player
all he did was dunk and turn the ball over, as a SO 6'9 PF Cooks stats
15.3 ppg
6.8 rpg
1.8 assists
2.5 TO's 82 total
steals 21
blocks 20

6'5 SG Moss stats
11.1 ppg
2.2 rebounds
22 steals
62 TO's
7 blocks
compare a 6'9 PF rebounding to a 6'5 SG is a piss poor comparison.

now here is a better comparison Nunge vs Cook
Nunge stats the last year he played when Cook was a SO vs Nunge as a FR
15.7 MPG
5.7 ppg
2.8 rpg
32 TO's
21 streals
25 blocks

Nunge is now 7'0+ 250+ lbs and can play the 4 and 5
6'8 Pemsl's last season playing stats
16.4 mpg
5.7 ppg
4.5 rpg
45 TO's
7 steals
10 blocks

replacing Cook is the least of this years team worries.

ADVERTISEMENT