ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Bruce Weber is on the cusp of the Final Four and has four NCAA bids at power Kansas State since being let go by Illinois in 2012.

Meanwhile the Illini only have one NCAA bid in that same timeframe.

Illinois reminds me of Michigan during the 2000s. A lot of wtf thoughts when looking at other schools.

Bruce Weber is on the cusp of the Final Four and has four NCAA bids at power Kansas State since being let go by Illinois in 2012.

Illinois reminds me of Michigan during the 2000s. A lot of wtf thoughts when looking at other schools.

Lets be honest here, the first sentence is only true because he has played in a dumpster fire of a region. His resume after the championship run (with Self’s players) is a bunch of first round exits.

Reactions: WheelerG
Lets be honest here, the first sentence is only true because he has played in a dumpster fire of a region. His resume after the championship run (with Self’s players) is a bunch of first round exits.

Well he did just beat an extremely hot Kentucky team despite being without his best player.

I know this is the basketball board, but the other boards are just trash. Fun fact that you never thought you'd see:

Schools with multiple Top 100 football commits currently:
  • Alabama
  • Oklahoma
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Illinois
One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:
I know this is the basketball board, but the other boards are just trash. Fun fact that you never thought you'd see:

• Alabama
  • Oklahoma
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Illinois

What happens to those commitments when Lovie gets fired after this season?

What happens to those commitments when Lovie gets fired after this season?
You're absolutely clueless if you think there's any shot of that happening. This is his second full recruiting cycle, and he's poised to land quite a few difference makers.

You're absolutely clueless if you think there's any shot of that happening. This is his second full recruiting cycle, and he's poised to land quite a few difference makers.

How am I clueless? The guy is on a Darrell Hazell trajectory when it comes to wins and losses. These studs won’t make it to campus for a year. So another 2-10 year and it’s “well hey maybe year 4 we will finally breakthrough?”

• Alabama
  • Oklahoma
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Illinois

Would not be surprised if Lovie had them in the top 5 of the B1G very soon. I think he will recruit and develop.

How am I clueless? The guy is on a Darrell Hazell trajectory when it comes to wins and losses. These studs won’t make it to campus for a year. So another 2-10 year and it’s “well hey maybe year 4 we will finally breakthrough?”
He gutted the roster to start over fresh. Just finished his second full recruiting cycle. He played more freshman than anyone. Our AD knows this is a 5 year rebuild, and Lovie's relationships are starting to pay off in a big way. Look on Twitter at all of the recruits talking about Illinois. It has never been that way.

You have every right to bash his last season, but his first was using Tim Beckman's team. That's the Darrell Hazel of Illinois.

I don't know if Lovie is going to pan out long term, but our AD is letting him shoot his shot. 1% chance he is fired after this season is why you're clueless.

I'm from the Hurley (basically) so I didn't want to have it in my hometown. Eagle River.

Better yet, The Frontier! Lol

Went to Weasels on Friday night in Eagle River and then the Frontier (which was on some side county road in the woods) the next night way back in 2001 for a party. Not sure if those venues are still around.

just another team that Frosty will have to overcome.

as for Lovie recruiting, so did Zook and look at how that worked out.

Weber was bascially their Ellerbee. Groce their Amaker. Let's see if Underwood is their Beilein.

Weber was bascially their Ellerbee. Groce their Amaker. Let's see if Underwood is their Beilein.
Please. Please.

Their offenses use similar actions. They have different philosophies though.

can you say Missippippi State. getting Williams to choose Illinois over OSU and getting Beasley to pick Illinois over TCU, TA&M and Texas or Oklahoma. hmmmm

can you say Missippippi State. getting Williams to choose Illinois over OSU and getting Beasley to pick Illinois over TCU, TA&M and Texas.
We hired Williams' coach who has essentially been his guardian. We have two of Beason's friends on our roster.

Can you say envy?

He gutted the roster to start over fresh. Just finished his second full recruiting cycle. He played more freshman than anyone. Our AD knows this is a 5 year rebuild, and Lovie's relationships are starting to pay off in a big way. Look on Twitter at all of the recruits talking about Illinois. It has never been that way.

You have every right to bash his last season, but his first was using Tim Beckman's team. That's the Darrell Hazel of Illinois.

I don't know if Lovie is going to pan out long term, but our AD is letting him shoot his shot. 1% chance he is fired after this season is why you're clueless.

Let me ask you this: do you think Lovie is the right guy for your program and will lead you to respectability?

I’m comparing Illinois to Purdue. Brohm just finished his first full recruiting cycle and won 7 games with a bowl win after the worst 4-year stretch in Purdue history with a roster almost completely devoid of depth and talent. Sure there were some talented players but overall the depth and talent were awful. I highly doubt Illinoi had worse talent/depth than the Hazell years. I expect Brohm to reel in a really good class this year too.

We hired Williams' coach who has essentially been his guardian. We have two of Beason's friends on our roster.

Can you say envy?
ahhh hiring a recruits guardian as a coach on your team. as for envy not hardly. like I said betting Williams to pick Illinois over OSU there had to be a catch. and the catch was hiring his guardian as a coach.

take this to the spring practice thread on the FB Board where it belongs.

ADVERTISEMENT