ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

The conference is going to be a two horse race in the state of Michigan. Not really worried about OSU, Purdue, IU or Maryland.

Next year? Michigan State is a dog to finish in the top half of the conference.

If Juwan Morgan returns and IU adds Romeo it will be

Michigan
Maryland
Indiana

Then the next tier of

Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue
Iowa
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Michigan
Maryland
Indiana

Then the next tier of

Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue
Iowa
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Get Indiana and Maryland out of Michigan's tier if Wagner returns.

Get Indiana and Maryland out of Michigan's tier if Wagner returns.

Maryland loses a lot of bums, returns their best players, and adds a 5 star immediate impact guy.

If they return everyone:
Cowan
Huerter
Jackson
Jalen Smith
BRUNO

With Morsell as the 6th man pretty damn good 6 man core there. For sure top 15 in the nation.

Maryland loses a lot of bums, returns their best players, and adds a 5 star immediate impact guy.

If they return everyone:
Cowan
Huerter
Jackson
Jalen Smith
BRUNO

With Morsell as the 6th man pretty damn good 6 man core there. For sure top 15 in the nation.

giphy.gif

That will hopefully be the starting 5+1

There are so many roster and coaching changes yet to occur that any empirical suggestion regarding next year must be taken with a grain of salt.

Who will leave early?
Who will transfer out?
Who will transfer in?
Will any additional recruits sign (I expect Purdue to get at least one more and maybe two)?
Will any coaches depart (on their own or forced out)?

All are relevant to any discussion about next year and I have a feeling this year may be much more than normal as all could be impacted by the FBI bombshells that have been dropping.

Reactions: klize17

If they return everyone:
Cowan
Huerter
Jackson
Jalen Smith
BRUNO

Returning everyone from a good team would excite me more than returning everyone from team that won't sniff the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they will be good but shoeing them in for top 15 seems a bit much.

Reactions: BANGBRO
Well, since I'm of the habit of bumping really bad takes from certain people from months ago, it seems only fair to bump my conference standings prediction from last April and laugh at myself. Bolded the really bad picks

1. Michigan State* - prohibitive favorite
2. Northwestern*
3. Minnesota*

4. Purdue*
5. Michigan*
6. Iowa*
7. Maryland*
8. Wisconsin
9. Indiana
10. Illinois
11. Penn State
12. Ohio State

13. Rutgers
14. Nebraska

Well, since I'm of the habit of bumping really bad takes from certain people from months ago, it seems only fair to bump my conference standings prediction from last April and laugh at myself. Bolded the really bad picks

I wonder if I made preseason standings. I feel like they might look pretty good because I knew Wisconsin would suck and don't think I bought the MINN or NW hype.

Returning everyone from a good team would excite me more than returning everyone from team that won't sniff the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they will be good but shoeing them in for top 15 seems a bit much.

We were probably a top 25 team with a healthy JJ. Seriously this team nearly beat you in Ann Arbor without him. Good win today, MAAR ‘s line was lights out.

I would guess many had predictions similar to this. You’re definitely not alone on several of those picks.

Michigan
Maryland
Indiana

Then the next tier of

Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue
Iowa
Wisconsin
Ohio State

You honestly think a team that likely returns the best PG in the conference in Cassius, one of the best low post men in Nick Ward, as well as Langford + McQuaid on the wings, and brings in 3 top100 4-stars will finish behind all those teams?

I don't know what to think of Purdue next year. Losing 4 of 5 best (Senior) players, and bringing in a few 3-stars. If Carsen goes to NBA, do they even make the tourney?

You honestly think a team that likely returns the best PG in the conference in Cassius, one of the best low post men in Nick Ward, as well as Langford + McQuaid on the wings, and brings in 3 top100 4-stars will finish behind all those teams?

I don't know what to think of Purdue next year. Losing 4 of 5 best (Senior) players, and bringing in a few 3-stars. If Carsen goes to NBA, do they even make the tourney?

I genuinely think Michigan State is a dog to make the tournament next season. Theyll be worse than they were 2 years ago with Bridges as a frosh because at least they had Bridges.

One or more of the frosh have to surprise and pull a BRUNO or Garza for them to make the tournament in my eyes.

That foursome you mentioned certainly wont be a tournament foursome. Would for sure be the worst defensive unit ib the conference.

Purdue’s 3-man class has 2 4*’s and a 3*. So no, they’re not bringing in a few 3-stars.

I genuinely think Michigan State is a dog to make the tournament next season. Theyll be worse than they were 2 years ago with Bridges as a frosh because at least they had Bridges.

One or more of the frosh have to surprise and pull a BRUNO or Garza for them to make the tournament in my eyes.

That foursome you mentioned certainly wont be a tournament foursome. Would for sure be the worst defensive unit ib the conference.

But you see no issues with Purdues core?

They bring back (potentially) Carsen Edwards who is a 1st teamer and maybe POY candidate, and...

Matt Haarms who has scored a combined 11 points (3 games with 0 points) over the last 5 games (62 minutes). Nojel Eastern who is also offensively challenged. And... Ryan Kline who is primarily a spot up 3pt shooter and not much of a defender himself?

Reactions: SNU0821
I'll tell you what's predictable:

People this off-season will have selective amnesia and once again forget how Beilein is arguably the best coach in the country at developing guards. What was once "How do you replace Darius Morris?" and then "How do you replace Trey Burke?" And the "How do you replace Nik Stauskas?" and then "How do you replace Caris LeVert?" and then "How do you replace Derrick Walton?" will be "How do you replace Abdur-Rahkman?".

You don't replace those players tit-for-tat. You develop other players to their strengths.

Reactions: BANGBRO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT