ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

What do you mean---"huh"? Martin was orchestrating deals. Or trying to. You know what he was trying to do. Not Indiana. Unless of course you have info that the entire staff was aware. Then yeah, you could say "Indiana".
Keep reaching. But I'd be careful. Purdue's name could be next.

If Belein or Painter are mentioned at all in any report, college basketball really is ****ed.

Belein sure. Don't see him being a part of this. But Painter? Meh. C'mn now.

Yeah Painter

The guy who loses every recruiting battle and has to build his top 5 offenses around a guy that was a fringe top 150 recruit in Carsen Edwards, a Dakota Mathias nobody else wanted, and PJ Thompson who didnt even get high major offers.

That same Matt Painter borden. If not for Swanigan having Purdue connections, Im sure Matr Painter wouldve lose that one too.

He’ll be one of the front runners for BTPOY, but Morgan will be right up there too. The only difference is we have a better supporting cast, don’t lose as much and bring in a better recruiting class and that’s before Romeo decides (one way or another). You guys lose most of your scoring and four senior starters. I wouldnt be real optimistic if I were you.
Your last two seasons predicting Purdue’s next season were ultimately failures. So I’d stay away from predicting what Purdue will do. You don’t have a great pulse on that program

Yeah Painter

The guy who loses every recruiting battle and has to build his top 5 offenses around a guy that was a fringe top 150 recruit in Carsen Edwards, a Dakota Mathias nobody else wanted, and PJ Thompson who didnt even get high major offers.

That same Matt Painter borden. If not for Swanigan having Purdue connections, Im sure Matr Painter wouldve lose that one too.
So because he can' t close the deal, that makes his hands clean? Or his assistants?
Good to know.

What do you mean---"huh"? Martin was orchestrating deals. Or trying to. You know what he was trying to do. Not Indiana. Unless of course you have info that the entire staff was aware. Then yeah, you could say "Indiana".
Keep reaching. But I'd be careful. Purdue's name could be next.

BREAKING NEWS FROM YAHOO! SPORTS

Authorities have intercepted conversations between Purdue head coach Matt Painter and a "basketball" player who played for the Boilermakers from 2009-11 that detail the unfortunate and disgusting underbelly of college basketball, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

The phone call was recorded back in 2008.

Painter: We want you at Purdue but we all understand it's going to take some serious dough for you to eventually wind up in West Lafayette.

Recruit: Ok, how much are you willing to give me outside the normal scholarship?

Painter: You can play here but you have to pay us $80,000 a year. We will tell everyone that you're getting a scholarship.

Recruit: Wait what?

Shaky signal***

Painter: Patrick, can you hear me? Hello? Patrick Bade?

Last edited:
Your last two seasons predicting Purdue’s next season were ultimately failures. So I’d stay away from predicting what Purdue will do. You don’t have a great pulse on that program
True. But dude. You guys lose a shit ton: Edwards, Mathias, Haas and Thompson. Doubtful that you suck. But next year could be a rough one.

BREAKING NEWS FROM YAHOO! SPORTS

Authorities have intercepted conversations between Purdue head coach Matt Painter and a "basketball" player who played for the Boilermakers from 2009-11 that detail the unfortunate and disgusting underbelly of college basketball, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

The phone call was recorded back in 2008.

Painter: We want you at Purdue but we all understand it's going to take some serious dough for you to eventually wind up in West Lafayette.

Recruit: Ok, how much are you willing to give me outside the normal scholarship?

Painter: You can play here but (inaudible) have to pay us $80,000 a year. We will tell everyone that you're getting a scholarship.

Recruit: Wait what?

Shaky signal***

Painter: Patrick, can you hear me? Hello? Patrick Bade?
You misspelled "Swannigan. Like I said...just because Painter sucks at recruiting, doesn' mean he' s clean. Just means he sucks at recruiting AND cheating.

Reactions: SNU0821
Don' t know what I was thinking lumping Painter and Purdue into this. After all the report did say, "MAJOR college programs".

Duh...Dead giveaway right there.

Reactions: KisteK and Jaycg15
You misspelled "Swannigan. Like I said...just because Painter sucks at recruiting, doesn' mean he' s clean. Just means he sucks at recruiting AND cheating.
He sucks (actually it's pretty impressive how well he's recruited considering what his competition is doing) at recruiting because he doesn't cheat. The NCAA looked into Swanigan case. Nothing there. If you actually read up on what happened, you'd understand.

He sucks (actually it's pretty impressive how well he's recruited considering what his competition is doing) at recruiting because he doesn't cheat. The NCAA looked into Swanigan case. Nothing there. If you actually read up on what happened, you'd understand.

Ts and Ps for a lot of Purdue posters if you are wrong about that.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
You looked up the number of starts right?
JJ6o7.gif

If Belein or Painter are mentioned at all in any report, college basketball really is ****ed.
Belein sure. Don't see him being a part of this. But Painter? Meh. C'mn now.
What is the difference between Painter and Belein? Lmao I’ve always said if Painter did cheat then he is the worst cheater the sports world has ever seen. I assume your comment was only made because of Swanigan, literally the only 5 star Purdue has gotten in his tenure.

Lol! Failures? I said Purdue wouldn’t win the conference, MSU would win. I said Purdue would be a top three or four team. Where I got it wrong was the offensive efficiency. I didn’t think they would be nearly as good offensively. OMG I was soooooo wrong. You on the other hand, doubted IU would be better than last year. You also bumped a post of mine back in January IIRC about Purdue’s projection, when they were still in first, mocking me. It’s a weird thing with you. You seem to look st mid season numbers and think they season is over. You do it constantly. Lulz.

My predictions were pretty damn right between IU and PU. Lulz.

Last edited:
Of course you do. You’re a homer. You’re bad at actually understanding basketball.
The fact that you think I’m a homer for thinking a team w/ the pre-season BTPOY & pre-season All-American on it, along with a good recruiting class & some nice pieces coming off redshirt years, can win 20 games, then I don’t know what to tell you. You act like winning 20 is some grand accomplishment or something? Pretty easy these days considering how many games you play.

The fact that you think I’m a homer for thinking a team w/ the pre-season BTPOY & pre-season All-American on it, along with a good recruiting class & some nice pieces coming off redshirt years, can win 20 games, then I don’t know what to tell you. You act like winning 20 is some grand accomplishment or something? Pretty easy these days considering how many games you play.
That’s literally all you have coming back. Yes, Haarms is going to be there, but no clue how he’s going to be able to handle the load full time. Outside of that, who do you have? Cline? Lol. Eastern? He’ll be solid, but not great. Who’s left? Lol. Good recruiting class? Your class is ranked in the 40s and 8th in the B10. Not sure I’d call it that good. You lost four starters, most of your offensive production and all of your experience outside of Edwards. Not sure I’d be confident you’re going to get to 20 wins. I guess some of it depends on your OOC schedule, too. You don’t know how those “nice pieces” coming off redshirt are going to play. They’re basically like freshman considering they haven’t seen the floor. 20 wins isn’t going to be nearly as easy as you think.

Given how I’m more accurate than you at predicting the B10, I’d just stop thinking for yourself and just go with my predictions.

Last edited:
Why don’t you see how many people here think Purdue is going to win 20 games. I wouldn’t think it would be a popular projection.

That’s literally all you have coming back. Yes, Haarms is going to be there, but no clue how he’s going to be able to handle the load full time. Outside of that, who do you have? Cline? Lol. Eastern? He’ll be solid, but not great. Who’s left? Lol. Good recruiting class? Your class is ranked in the 40s and 8th in the B10. Not sure I’d call it that good. You lost four starters, most of your offensive production and all of your experience outside of Edwards. Not sure I’d be confident you’re going to get to 20 wins. I guess some of it depends on your OOC schedule, too. You don’t know how those “nice pieces” coming off redshirt are going to play. They’re basically like freshman considering they haven’t seen the floor. 20 wins isn’t going to be nearly as easy as you think.

Given how I’m more accurate than you at predicting the B10, I’d just stop thinking for yourself and just go with my predictions.
All you do is throw out hypotheticals about the worst possible outcome in regards to Purdue.

No one thought Ohio State could be the team they are this year. Don't see why it's so hard for you to fathom that Purdue could win 20 games next year. Sheesh.

Why don’t you see how many people here think Purdue is going to win 20 games. I wouldn’t think it would be a popular projection.
I think 20 games is about the right amount. Edwards will obviously feast, Haarms will step into more of a scoring roll, Cline will shoot/play a lot more and think he’ll avg around 12. Eastern will at the very least be an elite defender. Then you have a crop of Sasha/wheeler/hunter/Williams that you’ll need a couple to contribute to the offense but I’m confident they will. Purdue should be a really good defensive team next season though.

I think 20 games is about the right amount. Edwards will obviously feast, Haarms will step into more of a scoring roll, Cline will shoot/play a lot more and think he’ll avg around 12. Eastern will at the very least be an elite defender. Then you have a crop of Sasha/wheeler/hunter/Williams that you’ll need a couple to contribute to the offense but I’m confident they will. Purdue should be a really good defensive team next season though.
I think 18-20 is a reasonable range; a lot will depend on the conference's depth, as this will be a transitional year in the league. I think 12 ppg might be asking a lot out of Cline - just keep in mind for as well as Dakota has played this year, he's only averaging 12.1 ppg.

I think Haarms has plenty of room for growth, but his value offensively will be determined by how dangerous he can be in PnR and PnP action. I do worry about spacing for next year, so hopefully Wheeler has developed a consistent jumper; otherwise we will likely need to see some lineups with Cline and Stefanovic, which could be a little iffy on the defensive end.

Will be a nice challenge for Painter. Can't allow for a backslide after everything this senior class has done to get things back on track.

Would expect this to be the rotation (likely to be way off):

Starters
G - Eastern
G - Edwards
G - Cline
F - Wheeler
C - Haarms

Bench
G - Stefanovic
G - Hunter
F - Eifert
F/C - Williams

Deep Bench
F/C - Taylor

Redshirt:
C - Dowuona

I think 18-20 is a reasonable range; a lot will depend on the conference's depth, as this will be a transitional year in the league. I think 12 ppg might be asking a lot out of Cline - just keep in mind for as well as Dakota has played this year, he's only averaging 12.1 ppg.

I think Haarms has plenty of room for growth, but his value offensively will be determined by how dangerous he can be in PnR and PnP action. I do worry about spacing for next year, so hopefully Wheeler has developed a consistent jumper; otherwise we will likely need to see some lineups with Cline and Stefanovic, which could be a little iffy on the defensive end.

Will be a nice challenge for Painter. Can't allow for a backslide after everything this senior class has done to get things back on track.
Yeah I knew the Cline projection was aggressive, I just see him taking about 8 threes per game and hitting them around a 38% clip which gives him around 9ppg which is maybe more realistic. I just see him being more aggressive with his shot next season since Purdue will need him to be and a volume three point shooter at a decent clip I can see 12 PPG. Agreed that is being aggressive though.

All you do is throw out hypotheticals about the worst possible outcome in regards to Purdue.

No one thought Ohio State could be the team they are this year. Don't see why it's so hard for you to fathom that Purdue could win 20 games next year. Sheesh.
Again, in regards to Purdue, I pegged them right this year in the B10. I didnt think they would be as good offensively, but I predicted then right. Did the same with IU. Said 6th was their ceiling. You just get al pissy when I dont think Purdue is the greatest thing in the world. They’re going to take a step back next year. Edwards will be good, no doubt. But who after that is going to produce? You have zero experience. Haarms should be better but won’t be as good as Haas. Who else? Cline? Give me a break. Eastern should improve but still hasn’t shown he can reliably hit an open jump shot. Thinking 20 wins will be difficult isn’t crazy. I would call 20 games the ceiling. Not saying you’re gonna be under .500 or anything like that, just think that 17-19 win range is probably likely.

Yeah I knew the Cline projection was aggressive, I just see him taking about 8 threes per game and hitting them around a 38% clip which gives him around 9ppg which is maybe more realistic. I just see him being more aggressive with his shot next season since Purdue will need him to be and a volume three point shooter at a decent clip I can see 12 PPG. Agreed that is being aggressive though.
I'd love to see him take that step. Gonna really need him and Haarms to step into much bigger roles next year. Dakota has had the luxury of not being leaned on too many times this year; Cline won't have the depth of talent around him to have that same situation next year.

Reactions: SNU0821 and klize17
ADVERTISEMENT