ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Purdue’s 3-man class has 2 4*’s and a 3*. So no, they’re not bringing in a few 3-stars.

Only on Rivals are Williams and Hunter 4-stars. This is a Rivals board so we can use that. Neither are top100 players though. 247, ESPN and Scout have them as 3-stars.

If we're using Rivals, MSU brings in (5) 4-stars. 4 of them top100.

Reactions: SNU0821
Purdue’s 3-man class has 2 4*’s and a 3*. So no, they’re not bringing in a few 3-stars.
But it’s not like it’s some great class expected to produce right away. It’s ranked 8th in the conference and in the 40’s overall.

Reactions: klize17
Malik Monk put up the same numbers last season as a FR that Carsen is this year as a sophomore, is about 4-6 inches taller than Carsen, is more athletic and explosive than Carsen, and hes been relegated to the G league this season and struggles to see any regular mins off the bench.

Trey Burke washed out of the league altogether for a while and only made it back recently. You could trade a 2nd round pick for Trey Burke(and that would be giving up too much) right now.

Why people have this notion that a guy who is basically Trey Burke 2.0 is going to get drafted when guys like Malik Monk and Trey Burke are fighting for their NBA lives to avoid the G league is just hilarious. If he had the cerebral/skill advantages of Trae Young and coupled that with putting up Steph Curry numbers(like Trae does), then we could talk. But he doesnt have Trae Young numbers. Trae Young averages 30 points and 9 assists per game.

Carsen Edwards isnt going anywhere unless he has some dream of playing pro basketball in some foreign country. Maybe he can go play with LaVars boys if he feels compelled to leave school after this season.

If you have access to The Atlantic, Brendan Quinn has a nice summary of the Miles Bridges situation. Here is the full article:

https://theathletic.com/251101/2018/02/23/michigan-state-has-a-decision-to-make-with-miles-bridges/

Here is the most important piece:

What this boils down to is a few options for Bridges and Michigan State:

1. Conduct an internal review and allow Bridges to play, hoping to make a case that no NCAA violation was committed and that Bridges' eligibility remains intact. This seems like a highly plausible move, but comes with risk. Any program who plays an individual who could be later investigated by the NCAA and be ruled ineligible is risking those wins being vacated. As one person familiar with the NCAA process told The Athletic's Dana O'Neil: “For any school on the hook for a national championship, you don't play a kid unless you want to take a chance of that banner coming down.”
  2. Sit Bridges until an NCAA investigation plays out. This is unlikely. All NCAA investigations are currently in line behind the FBI.
  3. Michigan State could rule Bridges ineligible, but issue an appeal to the NCAA that he did not know about the impermissible benefits and apply for reinstatement. Bridges would have to sit out during this appeal, but Michigan State could request it be expedited. If Michigan State pursues this scenario, the school could potentially address the situation, safeguard Bridges' eligibility, still use Bridges in the NCAA Tournament and avoid vacating a potential Final Four appearance or national championship. The NCAA's Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement and its reinstatement staff state that they “attempt to place the student-athlete back in the position he or she would have been prior to the violation occurring while maintaining the integrity of the Association’s values.”
As it stands, Bridges is potentially in violation of Bylaw 12.3 of the NCAA rulebook, where the NCAA notes that “agent violations are considered more serious than general extra benefit violations.” The penalty for accepting extra benefits valued between $300 to $500 is sitting out 30 percent of a team's games and repaying the gifts. If Bridges were to be suspended for 30 percent of MSU's games (30, so far), that would amount to nine games. If Bridges and Michigan State proactively accepted that penalty, he would sit out Sunday's season finale vs. Wisconsin and eight postseason games. (If MSU won the Big Ten tournament — three games — and advanced through the NCAA Tournament, Bridges would be eligible for the national title game.)

But you see no issues with Purdues core?

They bring back (potentially) Carsen Edwards who is a 1st teamer and maybe POY candidate, and...

Matt Haarms who has scored a combined 11 points (3 games with 0 points) over the last 5 games (62 minutes). Nojel Eastern who is also offensively challenged. And... Ryan Kline who is primarily a spot up 3pt shooter and not much of a defender himself?

I have never said I see no issues with Purdues core.

But to be clear, I am positive Purdue will be better than MSU next season.

MSU will have 2 good players next year. Ca$$ius and Ward. And theyre both exploited already because teams get them in PnR situations when they play defense.

Langford and McQuaod keep getting cited as players that are supposedly going to magically become good for MSU next year when JJJ and Bridges leave and arent taking all the attention away from defenses for them.

But as soon as Bridges and JJJ got into foul trouble against NW, a terrible NW team immediately jumped out to a 27 point lead as they abused Langford/McQuaod/Ca$$ius over and over.

Ive arrived at a destination where I realize no stats or facts will ever be enough to change youor any of the other MSU posters minds about anything MSU related. You guys are far and away the most stubborn bunch.

And I also dont care whether you think MSU will be better than Purdue so I guess we can agree to degree and you can quit quoting me about this now.

Reactions: BANGBRO
I would just like to point out, Matt thinks this starting lineup

Junior Tum Tum
Senior Erin Harris (injured later)
Switches between Senior Alvin Ellis, Sophmore McQuaid and Freshman Langford
Freshman Miles Bridges
Freshman Nick Ward

Is better than this starting lineup
Junior Cassius Winston
Senior Matt McQuaid
Junior Joshua Langford
Senior Kenny Goins
Junior Nick Ward
(With a lot more depth down low and all around)

What?

But it’s not like it’s some great class expected to produce right away. It’s ranked 8th in the conference and in the 40’s overall.

You don’t think Eric Hunter will produce right away? I don’t think Dowuona will and Williams is a wildcard but I think Hunter will from day 1. Dude is a stud.

I'll tell you what's predictable:

People this off-season will have selective amnesia and once again forget how Beilein is arguably the best coach in the country at developing guards. What was once "How do you replace Darius Morris?" and then "How do you replace Trey Burke?" And the "How do you replace Nik Stauskas?" and then "How do you replace Caris LeVert?" and then "How do you replace Derrick Walton?" will be "How do you replace Abdur-Rahkman?".

You don't replace those players tit-for-tat. You develop other players to their strengths.
And people say, “you expect so & so to produce? Fat chance! He hasn’t produced during his entire career!”

Yeah well, sometimes these players are stuck behind other guys and don’t have the opportunity to showcase what they can do. Sometimes all a player needs is an an opportunity to produce more.

And people say, “you expect so & so to produce? Fat chance! He hasn’t produced during his entire career!”

Yeah well, sometimes these players are stuck behind other guys and don’t have the opportunity to showcase what they can do. Sometimes all a player needs is an an opportunity to produce more.

Truths, man

I have never said I see no issues with Purdues core.

But to be clear, I am positive Purdue will be better than MSU next season.

MSU will have 2 good players next year. Ca$$ius and Ward. And theyre both exploited already because teams get them in PnR situations when they play defense.

Langford and McQuaod keep getting cited as players that are supposedly going to magically become good for MSU next year when JJJ and Bridges leave and arent taking all the attention away from defenses for them.

But as soon as Bridges and JJJ got into foul trouble against NW, a terrible NW team immediately jumped out to a 27 point lead as they abused Langford/McQuaod/Ca$$ius over and over.

Ive arrived at a destination where I realize no stats or facts will ever be enough to change youor any of the other MSU posters minds about anything MSU related. You guys are far and away the most stubborn bunch.

And I also dont care whether you think MSU will be better than Purdue so I guess we can agree to degree and you can quit quoting me about this now.

You keep using the NW game as an example, did you actually watch it? Bridges had 8 points total (0-3 from 3) 4 of them coming from FT in the last 41 seconds. He had 3 rebounds all game, 0 assists, and 4 turnovers.

The reason MSU won that game was because of Winston. Langford hit 2 3's, McQuaid hit 2 3's. Langford also had 5 assists, 3 in the last 9:32 of the game including an assist on the lead taking bucket.

Obviously you are free to your own opinion, but I disagree that Purdue will be better than MSU next year. You haven't really explained why you think Purdue will be good, instead resorting to blasting MSU.

Purdue has one good player going into next season, Carsen. Haarms is an incredible defender but his offense is still a work in progress. Cline's a shooter, not really a good defender. Eastern is a decent defender, but not much of an offensive threat.

Weird statement from you considering you took the opposite stance when people claimed Morgan was going to be a be a handful this year. Pretty much the EXACT same thing.

Weird statement from you considering you took the opposite stance when people claimed Morgan was going to be a be a handful this year. Pretty much the EXACT same thing.
The difference between you and I is that I can admit when I was wrong.

I'm happy for you that Morgan is a stand out on an NIT team. I really am.

Malik Monk put up the same numbers last season as a FR that Carsen is this year as a sophomore, is about 4-6 inches taller than Carsen, is more athletic and explosive than Carsen, and hes been relegated to the G league this season and struggles to see any regular mins off the bench.

Trey Burke washed out of the league altogether for a while and only made it back recently. You could trade a 2nd round pick for Trey Burke(and that would be giving up too much) right now.

Why people have this notion that a guy who is basically Trey Burke 2.0 is going to get drafted when guys like Malik Monk and Trey Burke are fighting for their NBA lives to avoid the G league is just hilarious. If he had the cerebral/skill advantages of Trae Young and coupled that with putting up Steph Curry numbers(like Trae does), then we could talk. But he doesnt have Trae Young numbers. Trae Young averages 30 points and 9 assists per game.

Carsen Edwards isnt going anywhere unless he has some dream of playing pro basketball in some foreign country. Maybe he can go play with LaVars boys if he feels compelled to leave school after this season.

I don't disagree but it's becoming more and more the case lately.

Some of these guys should just skip college and head right to Estonia it feels like. They are delusional.

Ohio State has had several...Thompson, Laquinton Ross, Deshaun Thomas....none of which had solid draft grades and they went anyway.

Look at what nitewing said over on football soundoff and then the reply. Let me know who you guys agree with

my hopes and dreams of a perfect season were smashed big time in a 14 - 6 loss to BSU on Saterday.:(

And yet he calls me a bandwagon fan for just wanting to make the NCAA Tournament in basketball, going as far as to say it's unrealistic to expect that but every 3-4 years. I think the fact that I still post here during this train wreck of a season while he comes and goes proves I'm not the one who's a bandwagon fan, but that might just be me. News flash: We were worse in baseball when Heller took over than when Fran did in basketball. Heller has made the regionals 2 times in 4 years and Fran has only made the NCAA Tournament 3 times in 8 years with one of those a loss at the First 4 in Dayton, which I don't really count. That makes it only 2 times in 8 years. Seems to me like he's the one being the bandwagon fan. He probably didn't even follow baseball before Heller

Prior to Fran McCaffery, Iowa basketball had made the NCAA Tournament 22 times

Prior to Rick Heller, Iowa baseball had made the NCAA Regionals 3 times

Prior to Fran McCaffery, Iowa basketball had made the NCAA Tournament 22 times

Prior to Rick Heller, Iowa baseball had made the NCAA Regionals 3 times
you are cherry picking your stats as in the 11 years before Fran took over Iowa had made the NCAAT 3 time with just 1 win and that came in SA 2nd season.

Davis who had 1 Elite 8 finish, 2 Sweet 16 finishes with a perfect 9-0 1st rounds was run off by posters like you.

Heller is in a better position to win at Iowa, as like Wrestling talent in Iowa is on par or better than any state, the Baseball talent in state produce 6-7 Perfect Game top 500. of which Heller signed 7 in his last class the worst was rate #357 and the best was Pitcher Probst who was a MLB 3rd round draft pick that turned the offer to play for Heller, Perfect Game rated him a 10.0

the 2nd best was Connor who was rated a 9.5 1st baseman/ of.

you are cherry picking your stats as in the 11 years before Fran took over Iowa had made the NCAAT 3 time with just 1 win and that came in SA 2nd season.

Davis who had 1 Elite 8 finish, 2 Sweet 16 finishes with a perfect 9-0 1st rounds was run off by posters like you.

Heller is in a better position to win at Iowa, as like Wrestling talent in Iowa is on par or better than any state, the Baseball talent in state produce 6-7 Perfect Game top 500. of which Heller signed 7 in his last class the worst was rate #357 and the best was Pitcher Probst who was a MLB 3rd round draft pick that turned the offer to play for Heller, Perfect Game rated him a 10.0

That's your whole shtick, is cherry picking stats and using them to your advantage. THE THING YOU DO BEST
would you just pick one name and stay with it.
Sure thing Gilligan, Kilroy, etc

That's your whole shtick, is cherry picking stats and using them to your advantage. It's what you do best

pot meet kettle LETSGOHAWKS2. 1st posting as LETSGOHAWKS2 in the College baseball thread then posting in the BB thread as hawkeye bb n fb fan.

isn't there a rules about that on here?

Reactions: spbc7

NO ONE CARES ABOUT COLLEGE BASEBALL IN THIS THREAD. Keep that crap out of here.

Reactions: SNU0821
Just when I thought Purdue and IU fans take this thread down a deep rabbit hole that couldn't be matched, the resident Hawkeye fans say:

TqTHZxX.gif

Reactions: Fatsquirrel
That's your whole shtick, is cherry picking stats and using them to your advantage. THE THING YOU DO BEST

something I never did. like I said the advantage goes to Heller with instate recruiting vs Fran who at best will produce 2 4* players in any given year and Fran took over a team whose last 3 years did this
lost 19 games
lost 16 games
lost 22 games
winning just 15 BT games in 3 years. SA last season they went 9-7 in the BT. these were SA BT SEASON records
1st season 6-10 T-7th
2nd season 7-9 T-6th
3rd season 5-11 T-8th
4th season 7-9 T- 8th
5th season 9-7 4th
6th season 7-9 7th
7th season 11-5 T-2nd
8th season 9-7 4th

that make 3 BT Winning season out of 8 seasons. and remember SA took over a team that had just went to the Sweet 16. also that period was when the BT was made up of just 11 teams.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT COLLEGE BASEBALL IN THIS THREAD. Keep that crap out of here.
tell that to the poster that posts under 2 names,. not me as the only reason I am even posting in this thread is because of hawk bb n fb fan / LETSGOHAWKS2.

tell that to the poster that posts under 2 names,. not me as the only reason I am even posting in this thread is because of hawk bb n fb fan / LETSGOHAWKS2.

Bottom line is this:

1. Iowa basketball stinks and Fran isn’t a good coach
2. No one cares about Iowa baseball on a college basketball message board

Reactions: BANGBRO and SNU0821
are you that butt hurt because Fran is 7-6 vs Painter?

Purdue has a chance for a top seed in the tournament and Iowa has nothing. Keep clinging to your 7-6 head to head record even though it’s meaningless.

Purdue has a chance for a top seed in the tournament and Iowa has nothing. Keep clinging to your 7-6 head to head record even though it’s meaningless.
1st time in what 5 years, oooo my. PAINTER did the same thing in 2012-13 and then in 13-14 seasons. yet he is still the Purdue coach 4 years later.

POT meet KETTLE.

To be somewhat fair, Purdue fans routinely mention their head to head record against the B10.

1st time in what 5 years, oooo my. PAINTER did the same thing in 2012-13 and then in 13-14 seasons. yet he is still the Purdue coach 4 years later.

POT meet KETTLE.

Compare Painter’s career at Purdue versus Fran’s at Iowa. Night and day different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT