ADVERTISEMENT

New thread because New Bombshell tweets

I’m not a Carolina fan. I’m not gonna get into one of these long discussions with you. Enjoy your evening.
didn't intend to get your dander up. Just saying you got mad at me because I took what the attorney said as true and you didn't like that.

Bam was mentioned. Bam went to Kentucky. What don’t you get?

Yep. It’s literally the EXACT scenario with KU and Zion then him going to Duke. The spin cycle is real with a hint of short term memory and delusion

Reactions: Quavarius
Yep. It’s literally the EXACT scenario with KU and Zion then him going to Duke. The spin cycle is real with a hint of short term memory and delusion
Except I said the exact same thing about UK as I did about Duke. In what world is that me spinning anything? You guys are unreal.

Reactions: mapcatfan
That’s been discussed on our homeboard all day. Self suing for slander I mean. Smarter people than me say that is something he DOES NOT want to do, for reasons that don’t have anything to do with him being possibly guilty.
He doesn't want to do it (if that is actually case) because slander is hard to prove even if it seems an obvious case, and it opens you up to discovery where they can dig for dirt.

Reactions: schoonerwest
All you people railed on Calipari as a cheater and now all of your coaches are instigated in cheating. #KentuckyEffect

giphy.gif

You'll have a hard time finding me generalizing an entire fanbase anywhere. Because I don't do it.

I might generalize fans of a given school on this board. (I don't think we have an active UNC poster who acknowledges they commited academic fraud on this message board.) I'll generalize by saying that the UNC fans around here are in denial.

We've admitted there were all sorts of academic issues. We just understand those issues better than you guys, which makes sense. Why would you care as much unless you were just obessesed with us?

To me it's common sense, those 4 schools are kicking everyone's asses, there's no reason for tgem to cheat. Why would K or Roy crush their reputations like that? Why would Cal pay a player when there are a dozen or so other kids that want to play through UK to get to the NBA where the real money is?

Why would Kansas not be in this category as well?

giphy.gif

We've admitted there were all sorts of academic issues. We just understand those issues better than you guys, which makes sense. Why would you care as much unless you were just obessesed with us?

Okay, I retract my statement. cory recognizes the fact. I literally had two guys tell me that no academic fraud occured. And the links of the UNC chancellor admitting to it were "too old" to accept as proof??

Sorry cory.

As to "why would Kansas not be on that list". I think most of us thought they were. I don't think us being proven wrong there means that all elite coaches are requesting $20k at a time for recruits.

Reactions: kl40504
didn't intend to get your dander up. Just saying you got mad at me because I took what the attorney said as true and you didn't like that.
You didn’t. I chose not to read your post knowing that you’re one of the key contributors to the Happy Anniversary thread. I didn’t want to get into a back and forth with you similar to what’s going on in that thread.

But I did just read it and no, you didn’t have it correct.

Reactions: HRTheCard

You can believe what you want to believe. I believe Self wasn't completely in the dark. But the lawyer provided no evidence whatsoever that Self and the staff requested payments. If they did they would have submitted that in their evidence. Instead they just submitted a vague text of thank from Self to Gatto with no context at all to the text. That is trying to create doubt but having no really evidence available.

Edit: Also in opening and closing statements lawyers can make any statements they want to without any evidence to back it up. It's called trying to create the slightest bit of doubt in even one juror..

You didn’t. I chose not to read your post knowing that you’re one of the key contributors to the Happy Anniversary thread. I didn’t want to get into a back and forth with you similar to what’s going on in that thread.

I didn't read your guys exchange to know who is in the right, but the bolded part killed me. Laughing "I wasn't going to pay attention to you. But I did, and I regret it."

Reactions: schoonerwest
Well, you're going to believe what you're going to believe, but I choose to believe that the coaches at the top 4 or 5 programs, with the exception of Self now, don't need to cheat. When you put kids in the NBA and you have standards that you follow, you don't need to pull any stupid stunts to land stud players.
A week ago, this statement is a lot different. Next week, it could change again. And then again. I mean Self puts kids in the NBA...wins a ton. Has a title....Yet.........Well, here we are.

giphy.gif

KU isn that category, that's why this stuff with Self is a real stunner. Maybe he's feeling the pressure of not winning a title in 10 years, IDK. Or, maybe the Self stuff isn't true.

You can believe what you want to believe. I believe Self wasn't completely in the dark. But the lawyer provided no evidence whatsoever that Self and the staff requested payments. If they did they would have submitted that in their evidence. Instead they just submitted a vague text of thank from Self to Gatto with no context at all to the text. That is trying to create doubt but having no really evidence available.

Edit: Also in opening and closing statements lawyers can make any statements they want to without any evidence to back it up. It's called trying to create the slightest bit of doubt in even one juror..
Well I assume KU fans, such as yourself, are going to believe that Self is clean, I don't blame you for doing so, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us for choosing to read between the lines on those texts and trusting that an attorney wouldn't choose to knowingly slander someone as popular as Bill Self.

There's a long way to go yet.

Come on man, I'm only doing the anniversary thread stuff to have fun. If you read closely you'll see all of us laughing at/with each other at times.

Well I assume KU fans, such as yourself, are going to believe that Self is clean, I don't blame you for doing so, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us for choosing to read between the lines on those texts and trusting that an attorney wouldn't choose to knowingly slander someone as popular as Bill Self.

There's a long way to go yet.

You made me have to google it. It says you cannot sue a lawyer for defamation in a trial. If a lawyer had to worry about defamation for anything he says he would not be able to effectively do his job. Now a lawyer can sued for defamation if hey are attacking someone or parts of someone's life that have nothing to do with the trial and is proven false. Self would be unable to sue Gatto's attorney because his claim had to do with the trial whether true or false.

Edit: You can sue a lawyer for defamation but you will not win as their statements during a trial are protected under absolute privilege.

Last edited:

how do you know this
i must have missed something, did Bam or his family directly ask for or receive money?

You made me have to google it. It says you cannot sue a lawyer for defamation in a trial. If a lawyer had to worry about defamation for anything he says he would not be able to effectively do his job. Now a lawyer can sued for defamation if hey are attacking someone or parts of someone's life that have nothing to do with the trial and is proven false. Self would be unable to sue Gatto's attorney because his claim had to do with the trial whether true or false.
Ah, that makes sense.
But if you weren't a KU fan, how would you view this exchange?

I talked to Fennie,” Gassnola wrote.

“We good?” Self texted.

“Always. That’s was light work. Ball is in his court now,” Gassnola replied.

I mean, that doesn't look good for Self at all. That's not all that vague to me, that looks like those two were talking about paying a player. I guess it could be something else maybe, but what?

Ah, that makes sense.
But if you weren't a KU fan, how would you view this exchange?

I talked to Fennie,” Gassnola wrote.

“We good?” Self texted.

“Always. That’s was light work. Ball is in his court now,” Gassnola replied.

I mean, that doesn't look good for Self at all. That's not all that vague to me, that looks like those two were talking about paying a player. I guess it could be something else maybe, but what?

First off, I'd been on record many times saying I believe the staff at best had an idea of what was going on. At worst was requesting it. Can read between the lines of every thing that the staff knew or at least had an idea.

2nd, Self and staff could explain that text as having to do with trying to set Fenny and the Angolan team up with Adidas gear. Gassnola testified that Self and staff set Fenny up with Gassnola for help with outfitting the Angolan National Team. It was after this that Gassnola set up the payments with Fenny without he staffs knowledge. 20k that was testified in court as never making it to Fenny and the $2,500 for online classes. I mean Gassnola is already looking at jail time. What does he gain by covering for KU and Self and lying? If his statements in a court of law are proven false then he loses whatever deal he made with the FBI.

First off, I'd been on record many times saying I believe the staff at best had an idea of what was going on. At worst was requesting it. Can read between the lines of every thing that the staff knew or at least had an idea.

2nd, Self and staff could explain that text as having to do with trying to set Fenny and the Angolan team up with Adidas gear. Gassnola testified that Self and staff set Fenny up with Gassnola for help with outfitting the Angolan National Team. It was after this that Gassnola set up the payments with Fenny without he staffs knowledge. 20k that was testified in court as never making it to Fenny and the $2,500 for online classes. I mean Gassnola is already looking at jail time. What does he gain by covering for KU and Self and lying? If his statements in a court of law are proven false then he loses whatever deal he made with the FBI.
One thing is for sure, it's going to get rely interesting. All we can do is wait and see. I hope you're right. I know a lot of UK fans hate KU, I'm not one of them and I don't get the Bill Self hate. Seems like a good dude to me.

Well, you're going to believe what you're going to believe, but I choose to believe that the coaches at the top 4 or 5 programs, with the exception of Self now, don't need to cheat. When you put kids in the NBA and you have standards that you follow, you don't need to pull any stupid stunts to land stud players.
I’m not saying that y’all aren’t squeaky clean, but the great recruiting class that Cal had in 2009 was once Memphis commits. Your previous coach couldn’t get anybody to go to your university, don’t make it seem like it’s a university decision that these kids are making. Had Calipari stayed at Memphis, Memphis would have had the recruiting championships and not Kentucky.

Kansas just needs to follow UNC’s blue print. Lawyer up. Unfortunately for everyone else and fortunately for Kansas fans common sense isn’t hard evidence.

Reactions: Big_C_KU
I’m not saying that y’all aren’t squeaky clean, but the great recruiting class that Cal had in 2009 was once Memphis commits. Your previous coach couldn’t get anybody to go to your university, don’t make it seem like it’s a university decision that these kids are making. Had Calipari stayed at Memphis, Memphis would have had the recruiting championships and not Kentucky.

Cousins was who else? Wall never committed to them although was considering it. Why was Cousins a Memphis Commit? -> Cal

Our sacknut of a coach was released, Cal came to Kentucky and the rest is history.

Oh goodie, another card fan hoping and praying that someone else gets in serious trouble in the hopes that someone thinks the commuter school up the road isn't the scuzziest place in the Continental US.

Have you heard one iota of ANYTHING about the John Wall class? I'll answer it for you. You've heard nothing. Pete Thamel tried his best my man, he even went to Eric Bledsoe's hs to try to dig something up, but he came up with nothing, just like you.

Oh and news flash, John Calipari is ten times the recruiter that Gillispie was, that's why there is a difference in recruiting success. Just like there will he large differences between what Mack does and what Mr. Sypher/party dancer/Bowen financial supporter did.

Kansas just needs to follow UNC’s blue print. Lawyer up. Unfortunately for everyone else and fortunately for Kansas fans common sense isn’t hard evidence.

Different circumstances. My guess nothing is going to happen to anyone but this is going to force the NCAA to have a major make over.

Stop arguing about what programs were mentioned by name. Who gives a shit? It's petty banter. You all have been going on about it for like 3 or 4 pages. Leave it alone and get back on track.
What track exactly? Laughing

Board reaching an all-time low for quality. Too many crap posters trying to control the narratives.

We. Need. Basketball.

Different circumstances. My guess nothing is going to happen to anyone but this is going to force the NCAA to have a major make over.

Yeah, not sure lawyering up would do teams good if it involves paying players. That is something the NCAA has a clear right to control. UNC had issues that weren't really in their purview, which is why having lawyers was more relevant. Now, if the NCAA tries to hammer them on hearsay then maybe they could make an issue of it.

Reactions: kl40504

The evidence will be coming out later. Judge didn't allow some of the evidence to be presented to the jury. They have plenty on Townsend now and Self is close behind. Kansas is in deep.

The evidence will be coming out later. Judge didn't allow some of the evidence to be presented to the jury. They have plenty on Townsend now and Self is close behind. Kansas is in deep.

Joined rivals two weeks ago and claim to have inside knowledge of this court case. Pardon me if I call horse shit. Problem with folks like you is once your outed as a fraud you disappear and have no accountability.

Pretty cool to troll ku, I’m good with that. But I don’t believe you for a second.

Joined rivals two weeks ago and claim to have inside knowledge of this court case. Pardon me if I call horse shit. Problem with folks like you is once your outed as a fraud you disappear and have no accountability.

Pretty cool to troll ku, I’m good with that. But I don’t believe you for a second.
Usually guys like that claim to have insider info and that insider is just somebody from their homeboard.

Side note/kind of funny relatable story, I remember during the Trae Young recruiting announcement I posted that I had some "insider" knowledge through like a friend of a friend relation. It ended up being what the real insiders knew as well but I was cautious in saying what I knew on here because it was the legit first time anybody had ever told me anything like that, and I know how angry people get over stuff like that when it turns out not true. I got a bunch of IM's from lurkers and other people wondering what the news was. I had no problem telling them through IM but what was funny was one of them went on the Slant and said what they knew and claimed their sources had told them that. I was laughing so hard that somebody used me as a source to seem like they were an insider to a bunch of homeboarders.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Usually guys like that claim to have insider info and that insider is just somebody from their homeboard.

Side note/kind of funny relatable story, I remember during the Trae Young recruiting announcement I posted that I had some "insider" knowledge through like a friend of a friend relation. It ended up being what the real insiders knew as well but I was cautious in saying what I knew on here because it was the legit first time anybody had ever told me anything like that, and I know how angry people get over stuff like that when it turns out not true. I got a bunch of IM's from lurkers and other people wondering what the news was. I had no problem telling them through IM but what was funny was one of them went on the Slant and said what they knew and claimed their sources had told them that. I was laughing so hard that somebody used me as a source to seem like they were an insider to a bunch of homeboarders.

Curious...what’s the climate like on Slant? Are folks angry? Nervous? Dgaf? I’m just bracing myself for what might come to fruition on Duke homeboard Laughing

Curious...what’s the climate like on Slant? Are folks angry? Nervous? Dgaf? I’m just bracing myself for what might come to fruition on Duke homeboard Laughing
It's not that bad. The board is actually much more cynical after any loss than they have been these past couple of weeks. I think everybody is just kind of taking a wait and see what happens approach. Most people seem to agree that KU looks pretty suspect and are disappointed that it's going to ruin our reputation, but also most people are viewing this pretty favorably in regards to there being no real evidence out there that you can say without a doubt KU is guilty.

Keep burying your head in the sand. Anyone with common sense can see that Kansas is dirty.

Keep burying your head in the sand. Anyone with common sense can see that Kansas is dirty.

Wtf are you talking about? Where did I say ku or their staff wasn’t dirty? Clearly reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

Is Zion Williamson the new Cam Newton? Why Duke's star could face eligibility issues this season -Yahoo Sports/Pat Forde

The wiretap transcript read aloud in the federal basketball corruption trial on Tuesdaywas a bombshell. The intercepted conversation between Adidas consultant Merl Code Jr. and Kansas assistant basketball coach Kurtis Townsend centered on five-star recruit Zion Williamson. Specifically, they were discussing what it would take for Williamson to become a Jayhawk — and the asking price was high.

“[Williamson’s stepfather] is asking for opportunities from an occupational perspective, he’s asking for cash in the pocket and he’s asking for housing for him and his family,” Code said, according to the transcript.

Townsend’s response: “I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way.”

And with that revelation, Zion Williamson potentially becomes college basketball’s new Cam Newton — a megastar recruit implicated in a pay-for-play scheme allegedly orchestrated by a family member. As with Newton, two schools are involved — one linked to a potential money deal, and one that actually signed the player. Also similar to Newton is the profile — Williamson has 1.7 million Instagram followers and is the Rivals.com No. 5 recruit in the country — and importance to a national championship contender.

“If [Williamson’s stepfather] solicited or received money from Kansas, he would be an agent under NCAA rules and his action would affect his son’s competition eligibility at Duke,” said Nebraska law professor Josephine Potuto, a member of the NCAA Committee on Infractions for many years.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
ADVERTISEMENT