ADVERTISEMENT

New ap Poll is so bogus...

ABVolsFan92

Gold Member
May 31, 2012
GCNoysOW8AAy8wT

They kept Arizona and Uconn ahead of us and Kentucky despite them both losing. top 5 should be Purdue, Kansas, Houston, Tennessee, Kentucky

UConn lost to Seton Hall and Arizona lost to FAU both deserved a drop. We lost to Purdue and Kansas the 2 top teams
How far would you drop AZ, for losing by one to the #14 team?

Seton Hall isn't terrible...Plus UConn lost Donigan early in that game. And it was their first loss.

Reactions: TKBray
How far would you drop AZ, for losing by one to the #14 team?

Seton Hall isn't terrible...Plus UConn lost Donigan early in that game. And it was their first loss.
2nd loss for Uconn. Also FAU is not really a top 10 team they are nice but still a mid major, it's an embarrasing loss for Arizona that is the so called best team Jay Williams has seen in 20 years. I would have dropped them to 6. top 7 for me would have been Purdue, Kansas, Houston, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona, UNC. With UNC right on Arizona's heels but a decent gap from 5-6

2nd loss for Uconn. Also FAU is not really a top 10 team they are nice but still a mid major, it's an embarrasing loss for Arizona that is the so called best team Jay Williams has seen in 20 years. I would have dropped them to 6. top 7 for me would have been Purdue, Kansas, Houston, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona, UNC. With UNC right on Arizona's heels but a decent gap from 5-6
Don't disagree about FAU---but our thoughts on them are irrelevant. They were 14th---beat the #2 team on the country---have 3 Q1 wins...I mean, whoat do you do with them?

UConn IMO is the best team in CBB. TBH, You can swap the entire Top 10. Pretty equal bunch. But gun to the head---I'd take UConn.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
It's too early for me to get my jimmies rustled. Kentucky is a Top 10 team and we're in the Top 10, that's good enough for now. Just win and it will take care of itself.
yeah I kind of wanted to be top 5 entering conference play but the Vols conference schedule is freaking brutal this year, we could easily lose 9 in conference

yeah I kind of wanted to be top 5 entering conference play but the Vols conference schedule is freaking brutal this year, we could easily lose 9 in conference
I just don't see how yall are still ranked ahead of us. Illinois is your lone quality win IIRC. Kudos for scheduling a hard OOC but yall lost the 3 games that matter. We beat UNC and almost beat Kansas without even having Bradshaw yet. Of course we have the God awful UNCW noose hanging around our neck but still.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I just don't see how yall are still ranked ahead of us. Illinois is your lone quality win IIRC. Kudos for scheduling a hard OOC but yall lost the 3 games that matter. We beat UNC and almost beat Kansas without even having Bradshaw yet. Of course we have the God awful UNCW noose hanging around our neck but still.
@ Wiscy is a really good win in the Kohl center and NC St on a neutral floor is a nice win

@ Wiscy is a really good win in the Kohl center and NC St on a neutral floor is a nice win
Yeah those are good wins, just not blockbuster wins. It's still early so hard to get worked up about the rankings right now. UK is a Top 10 team and we're in the Top 10 so for now that's good enough.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
Who cares? Calendar hasn’t even turned yet. B1G is one game into the conference schedule. There’s enough time to play yourself out of, and back into, the Top 10 before the tourney begins.

Reactions: Sparty_57
Who cares? Calendar hasn’t even turned yet. B1G is one game into the conference schedule. There’s enough time to play yourself out of, and back into, the Top 10 before the tourney begins.
I feel like if we would have been top 5 it would have given our team some confidence to have a little bit of a "competitive edge" if you will over some of these non-ranked teams we play.

But also at the same coin when you are ranked that high it puts a lot of pressure on the team to perform

Yeah those are good wins, just not blockbuster wins. It's still early so hard to get worked up about the rankings right now. UK is a Top 10 team and we're in the Top 10 so for now that's good enough.
UT has wins over #11 Illinois, @ #23 Wisconsin and NC State(70th).
UK has wins over #9 UNC, Miami, Fla(61), St Joes(62)..

UT' has 5 Q1/Q2 wins----UK has 3.

UT's worse loss is------#9 UNC...….@ Chapel Hill.

UK's worse loss is UNC-Wilmington----at Rupp.

To me its pretty clear why UT is ranked ahead of UK.

UConn lost to Seton Hall and Arizona lost to FAU both deserved a drop. We lost to Purdue and Kansas the 2 top teams

Still, teams normally drop more than that after back to back losses.

FAU is arguably right there with the best.

Apparently the pollsters just view UConn and AZ as better teams with better resumes. I think UConn is probably the best of all those teams and has accomplished the most.

NCAA - Power Rankings

1. Purdue (1): Holding steady for two weeks in a row.
  2. Kansas (2): The Jayhawks have a few All-Americans in their starting lineup.
  3. Houston (5): The Cougars are putting together a No. 1 seed resume.
  4. Kentucky (8): The Wildcats are back to being the team to beat in the SEC.
  5. North Carolina (10): The Tar Heels and RJ Davis are playing their best basketball of the season after taking down Oklahoma.
  6. UConn (3): The Huskies are without Donovan Clingan but survived against St. John’s to split the Big East week.
  7. Marquette (6): The Golden Eagles played their worst game of the season in the loss at Providence.
  8. Memphis (14): The Tigers just keep winning, including an easy win over Virginia. Penny Hardaway has his best chance for a Final Four run.
  9. Oklahoma (7): The Sooners suffered their first loss of the season, to UNC in Charlotte.
  10. Florida Atlantic (22): The Owls are back in the top 10 after the double OT thriller over Arizona in Las Vegas.
  11. Arizona (4): The Wildcats have challenged themselves more than any other team and split the week with a win over Alabama before the loss to FAU.
  12. Duke (17): The Blue Devils took care of Baylor in Cameron North at MSG.
  13. Tennessee (11): The Vols have cured their late November/early December issues.
  14. Illinois (12): The Illini got the win over struggling Missouri.
  15. Auburn (16): The Tigers are rolling this month.
  16. Wisconsin (18): The Badgers haven’t slipped one bit since the Arizona loss.
  17. Clemson (15): The Tigers are going to be in the thick of the ACC race.
  18. Ole Miss (13): I know the Rebels are undefeated, but the schedule hasn’t been as strong as the teams ahead of them.
  19. Villanova (NR): The Wildcats continue to have a wild season with plenty of swings. The latest is a few road Big East wins, including at Creighton.
  20. Creighton (9): Big drop for the Bluejays. They need to figure out how to win close games.
  21. Colorado State (19): The Rams are waiting for the next test to come in the MWC.
  22. Colorado (20): The Buffs remain the second-best team in the Pac-12.
  23. Ohio State (23): The Buckeyes are going to be a threat near the top of the Big Ten.
  24. Arkansas (24): Still think the Hogs are in the SEC title chase.
  25. Providence (NR): The Friars had a monster week with the wins over Marquette and Butler at home.
  26. Nebraska (25): The Huskers are now dealing with injury issues, but I’m still driving this bus.
  27. James Madison (21): I can hear the argument about dropping them without a loss. But the competition/wins of those teams above is too good to ignore.
  28. Michigan State (26): The Spartans continue to just win. The next test against Indiana State will be a good barometer.
  29. New Mexico (32): The Lobos continue to win and are entering the holidays with one loss with 10 wins in a row.
  30. Texas (28): The Longhorns are one of the more intriguing teams in these rankings. The ceiling is very high.
  31. Baylor (29): Still think the Bears will be in the thick of the Big 12 race, but the losses to MSU and Duke stung.
  32. South Carolina (29): The Gamecocks are holding their spot in the rankings with only one loss.
  33. Utah (30): The Utes may be the third-best Pac-12 team.
  34. BYU (33): The Cougars are primed for their Big 12 debut.
  35. Northwestern (NR): The Wildcats are back in with a dominating win over Arizona State in Phoenix.
  36. Grand Canyon (35): The Lopes have won seven in a row.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
NCAA - Power Rankings

5. North Carolina (10): The Tar Heels and RJ Davis are playing their best basketball of the season after taking down Oklahoma.
  6. UConn (3): The Huskies are without Donovan Clingan but survived against St. John’s to split the Big East week.
  7. Marquette (6): The Golden Eagles played their worst game of the season in the loss at Providence.
  8. Memphis (14): The Tigers just keep winning, including an easy win over Virginia. Penny Hardaway has his best chance for a Final Four run.
  9. Oklahoma (7): The Sooners suffered their first loss of the season, to UNC in Charlotte.
  10. Florida Atlantic (22): The Owls are back in the top 10 after the double OT thriller over Arizona in Las Vegas.
  11. Arizona (4): The Wildcats have challenged themselves more than any other team and split the week with a win over Alabama before the loss to FAU.
  13. Tennessee (11): The Vols have cured their late November/early December issues.
  18. Ole Miss (13): I know the Rebels are undefeated, but the schedule hasn’t been as strong as the teams ahead of them.
  19. Villanova (NR): The Wildcats continue to have a wild season with plenty of swings. The latest is a few road Big East wins, including at Creighton.
  20. Creighton (9): Big drop for the Bluejays. They need to figure out how to win close games.
  21. Colorado State (19): The Rams are waiting for the next test to come in the MWC.
  23. Ohio State (23): The Buckeyes are going to be a threat near the top of the Big Ten.
  25. Providence (NR): The Friars had a monster week with the wins over Marquette and Butler at home.
  26. Nebraska (25): The Huskers are now dealing with injury issues, but I’m still driving this bus.
  27. James Madison (21): I can hear the argument about dropping them without a loss. But the competition/wins of those teams above is too good to ignore.
  28. Michigan State (26): The Spartans continue to just win. The next test against Indiana State will be a good barometer.
  29. New Mexico (32): The Lobos continue to win and are entering the holidays with one loss with 10 wins in a row.
  30. Texas (28): The Longhorns are one of the more intriguing teams in these rankings. The ceiling is very high.
  31. Baylor (29): Still think the Bears will be in the thick of the Big 12 race, but the losses to MSU and Duke stung.
  32. South Carolina (29): The Gamecocks are holding their spot in the rankings with only one loss.
  35. Northwestern (NR): The Wildcats are back in with a dominating win over Arizona State in Phoenix.
Andy Katz is a known Vol hater he never gets us much credit

I’m not knocking Tennessee and I think they’re pretty good, but what have they done so far to deserve a top 5 ranking, or even top 10? They’ve played 4 top 20 teams and lost 3 of them.
If you're going to state things, state them accurately. UT played the top #2 & #3 to grind it out close losses and then played UNC at UNC to another loss. It is obvious that UT can play with anyone and are a good team. I have no problem being ranked #6 and hope with time that improves, but you categorizing them as going 3/4 in the top 20 excludes UT's SOS which was very good. There is a big difference between playing teams #2 & #3 and team #19 & team #20.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If you're going to state things, state them accurately. UT played the top #2 & #3 to grind it out close losses and then played UNC at UNC to another loss. It is obvious that UT can play with anyone and are a good team. I have no problem being ranked #6 and hope with time that improves, but you categorizing them as going 3/4 in the top 20 excludes UT's SOS which was very good. There is a big difference between playing teams #2 & #3 and team #19 & team #20.

The premise of this thread is that they should be ranked in the top 5 this week. If you’re 0-3 vs top 10 teams, why would you deserve to be ranked in the top 5? Tennessee might be a legit top 10 or even top 5 team, but if they want that ranking, they need to earn it.

Who cares about polls though, especially right now. What matters is how they’re playing at the end of the year.

The premise of this thread is that they should be ranked in the top 5 this week. If you’re 0-3 vs top 10 teams, why would you deserve to be ranked in the top 5? Tennessee might be a legit top 10 or even top 5 team, but if they want that ranking, they need to earn it.

Who cares about polls though, especially right now. What matters is how they’re playing at the end of the year.
Top 20 has nothing to do wit it.

I’m sorry, but the Illini were the better squad when they took the floor vs. FAU in NYC, and they should be above them. Since we beat them, we lost a hard fought game at Tennessee (who is now #6) and beat the crap out of everyone else.

I’m sorry, but the Illini were the better squad when they took the floor vs. FAU in NYC, and they should be above them. Since we beat them, we lost a hard fought game at Tennessee (who is now #6) and beat the crap out of everyone else.
yeah Illinois should probably be #7

Arizona and UConn has 2 losses and Tennessee has 3. That's the distinction.

NCAA - Power Rankings

Arizona has challenged themselves more than any other team? Ok...

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT