ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Game - Player Impact Analytics

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
I'm just starting to put together some Kentucky/NCAA Games Analytics. This is my first stab at Player Impact for UK Players.

This is my version of the Player +/-. My calculations are somewhat different.

Mine does game impact by segment time. The period for when a player checks in and checks out.
And overall game impact. The segment total is average and the game total is actual.

Let me know if this interests you and I'll post these after every game plus more analytics as come up with them.

Click on the image to enlarge it. Then again to make it smaller.

pbp2023-11-30%20163302.png

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It’s definitely interesting. Do you have any more specifics on the formula that you can share?

I can do this for any NCAA games. I'm still tweaking the formula. I'm not set on it yet.

The normal plus / minus formula is: To calculate +/-, subtract the difference between a player's team's total points and their opponent's total points when that player is in the game. For example, if a player's team outscored their opponents by eight points when the player is on the court, the player will receive a +8 point differential.

I utilize all positive and negative stats, shots made-missed, assists, blocks, to etc. for that slice of time the player is in the game. And their percentages contributing both positive and negative. I think it provides a more accurate impact on the game.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT