ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville People

coryfly

Aug 7, 2007
So we (wife and I) are staying at The Galt House on July 4th and 5th. So do any of you guys know what cool stuff is going on then?

Galt House is really outdated, but they have been in the process of renovating the whole thing. I stayed there maybe 8 or so months ago and they were done with one part of the reno.

Tbh, we don't really care much about where we stay. We just want some cool places within walking distance we can go and drink and have a good time. We are taking the kids to Tybee Island the week before for 7 days so this is just a getaway to chill out a bit, lol.

Wear this

MichiganChamps_shirt.png

Go to Jeff Ruby’s if you want to spend some money. Another good place to eat is Doc Crow’s. Not too expensive and very good. You can go to the Louisville Zoo, Slugger museum..I’m sure there will be fireworks somewhere but I couldn’t tell you that part

I would hit up Fourth Street Live since you’ll already be in downtown. It won’t be the weekend so you won’t have to deal with any annoying teenagers down there or anything. I also recommend the Muhammad Ali Center if you’re into that stuff as well as the Kentucky Derby museum.

There should be an actual firework show downtown on the 4th. Waterfront Park is where that will be, which you are close to.

If you are looking for some other local hotspots that aren’t really holiday related, I can certainly tell you some of the better golf courses around town and recommend you hit at least part of the bourbon trail in the surrounding counties.

My most important piece of advice is stay away from the YUM! Center, you don’t want to catch an STD while you’re in town.

Go to Jeff Ruby’s if you want to spend some money. Another good place to eat is Doc Crow’s. Not too expensive and very good. You can go to the Louisville Zoo, Slugger museum..I’m sure there will be fireworks somewhere but I couldn’t tell you that part

Last time we were there we did the Zoo, Churchill Downs, a bunch of parks, some pumpkin deal they had at the time and some other stuff. We are only going to be there for a few days this time so just want some cool places to eat and drink within walking distance. We don't really care about how much places are but also aren't really into high end places snooty people go to.

I would hit up Fourth Street Live since you’ll already be in downtown. It won’t be the weekend so you won’t have to deal with any annoying teenagers down there or anything. I also recommend the Muhammad Ali Center if you’re into that stuff as well as the Kentucky Derby museum.

There should be an actual firework show downtown on the 4th. Waterfront Park is where that will be, which you are close to.

If you are looking for some other local hotspots that aren’t really holiday related, I can certainly tell you some of the better golf courses around town and recommend you hit at least part of the bourbon trail in the surrounding counties.

My most important piece of advice is stay away from the YUM! Center, you don’t want to catch an STD while you’re in town.

We went to 4th Street Live last time and it was dead. It could have just been bad luck or timing as it was late fall then. I won't have my clubs with me so as much as I would love to play some golf I can not, lol.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Last time we were there we did the Zoo, Churchill Downs, a bunch of parks, some pumpkin deal they had at the time and some other stuff. We are only going to be there for a few days this time so just want some cool places to eat and drink within walking distance. We don't really care about how much places are but also aren't really into high end places snooty people go to.
As mentioned, Jeff Ruby's is pricey, but you won't find a better steak anywhere in the US, IMO.

We went to 4th Street Live last time and it was dead. It could have just been bad luck or timing as it was late fall then. I won't have my clubs with me so as much as I would love to play some golf I can not, lol.
Much more lively in the summer, there are concerts there every week. I would bet they have one going on for the holiday.

Much more lively in the summer, there are concerts there every week. I would bet they have one going on for the holiday.

Awesome. We may check it out then. Was a cool set up but just dead.

Reactions: JimboBBN
As mentioned, Jeff Ruby's is pricey, but you won't find a better steak anywhere in the US, IMO.
I've never ate at Jeff Rubys (I've heard nothing but great things), but The Butcher Shop in Memphis is my favorite. Pricey but well worth it IMO.

Mainly, I just want to know if there are places we can walk to to have some drinks. I will not drink and drive so we generally go to places where we can walk to cool places to hang out.

Eat at Migo on Bardstown road or Hammerheads in germantown, you won’t regret it. Both within 2-3 miles of Downtown, hit up NuLu and try a bourbon slushy at Royals, there’s also fireworks at the waterfront July 4th every year, good weekend to be in Louisville. I was in town last year for it.

Take a Lyft or Uber to the highlands, it’s a 5 min drive up market to Baxter, and that turns into Bardstown road, the Highlands is an awesome part of town. Lived there for many years before I moved for Grad school, and work.

Eat at Migo on Bardstown road or Hammerheads in germantown, you won’t regret it. Both within 2-3 miles of Downtown, hit up NuLu and try a bourbon slushy at Royals, there’s also fireworks at the waterfront July 4th every year, good weekend to be in Louisville. I was in town last year for it.
Doesn't Louisville have a huge fireworks display over the river. I was young, but I'm pretty sure it was Louisville and over the river. Red, White and Boom or something like that? I'm probably way off. I was young.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Doesn't Louisville have a huge fireworks display over the river. I was young, but I'm pretty sure it was Louisville and over the river. Red, White and Boom or something like that? I'm probably way off. I was young.
Thunder over Louisville 2 weeks before Derby, in April. July 4th fireworks on the waterfront isn’t as big of a deal, but still fun and generally garners a good turn out.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Thunder over Louisville 2 weeks before Derby, in April. July 4th fireworks on the waterfront isn’t as big of a deal, but still fun and generally garners a good turn out.
Thank you. Thunder over Louisville is what I was thinking of. We went to the Derby in '84. I was 9.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Rubys is good no doubt and not like a Ruths Chris which IMO is stuffy, but they usually have music on the weekends and if you're ever around in i think Jan/Feb/March they have a deal of two 8oz filets, 8oz lobster tails, and sides for $100 i always take advantage of. Hard to say its the best steak, been to many but its a quality meal and they have a lot of options. I 2nd the Hammerheads suggestion, always tell people to go there even if it looks like a hole in the wall the food is great. Frankfort ave and Bardstown rd is where you need to go honestly. Frankfort for the food Bardstown for drinks is what we typically go after. Downtown has some decent places but its typically touristry stuff thats good but not great. So many places great places in Louisville to eat and more are popping up all the time.

Tbh, we don't really care much about where we stay. We just want some cool places within walking distance we can go and drink and have a good time. We are taking the kids to Tybee Island the week before for 7 days so this is just a getaway to chill out a bit, lol.

Have a few new ones lately...

One is a speakeasy that has required a reservation lately. Place called Hell or High Water on same block as Doc Crows. That's in walking distance. The thing about this place is that I haven't been able to get in yet because they are always full (which is why you need reservation) but have had friends rave about it. Cocktail place.

Tried a new wine bar in NULU last week that I'm excited about called Nouvelle. Would recommend going to Feast BBQ (will have long lines but worth it) nearby then going to Nouvelle for a bottle after. Good patio. After that walk down to the axe throwing place. Also needs reservations (but fun if you've never done it). If you want more in that area and like beer, go to Falls City taproom. They will almost definitely have something going on. A lot of places around there to explore.

Also near there the new Omni has opened. Definitely check that out. Has two restaurants and recently opened rooftop bar (haven't been there yet).

My girlfriend and I do a day drinking route a few times a year. We start at 4th Street Live area about 2ish and walk south away from river towards They Brown. She likes to shop at the arty places on 4th, some of which are kind of cool as a guy. Around 4, 8 Up opens. Good place for rooftop cocktail. Not as big of a fan of their food and is pricy, but I like it for a drink. From there, walk down to Marketplace by The Palace and have drink on patio. There are a few more places in that area but those two are my favorite on 4th. After a few drinks we stumbled on a new Tiki bar last week, which was just bizarre, but is so random that I liked it.

If you head to highlands, a newer brewery worth checking out is Gravely Brewing Co. If you like to walk, can do something like eat at Jack Fry's then walk North to Gravely. A lot of bars between those two places. Maybe a mile or two apart. Also a lot of development is taking place right now on Baxter near Gravely. The area between Baxter, Omni and NULU is in process of gentrification. Will be expensive part of city in a few years I think.

Also, area across Big 4 Walking Bridge in Indiana is undergoing a lot of development. There are two breweries and some other random places around there. We like tend to do that in AM. Brewery (called Red Yeti I think) serves brunch on Sunday morning.

You’ll love the city’s of Louisville. It’s a great place and very fun!

The university has its issues, though.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
Surprised nobody mentioned this but if I were there two days at the Galt House Jeff Ruby's would be a definite...but so would Proof on Main at the 21C hotel. Different crowds but people watching alone adds to the experience and the food and drink is great at both if money doesn't appear to be an object with you. Those are all within walking distance and Ruby's is even Pedway accessible and essentially next door.

There are fireworks July 4th in roughly the same location as Thunder over Louisville; last year was the first time we ever were down there but were at a friend's house on the River down by the locks from the Indiana side of it and had a really good view well down river.

Migo and Hammerheads are the two restaurants I have to visit whenever I'm in Louisville. They're so good.

For drinks, if you're willing to take a short drive I always recommend Sergio's World Beers. I can't think of any other way to describe it other than calling it a library of beer. It's impossible to go there and be unsatisfied, unless you want a Bud Light or something similar. You'd have to pay like fifty bucks to get one of those.

Last edited:
Migo and Hammerheads are the two restaurants I have to visit whenever I'm in Louisville. They're so good.

For drinks, if you're willing to take a short drive I always recommend Sergio's World Beers. I can't think of any other way to describe it other than calling it a library of beer. It's impossible to go there and be unsatisfied, unless you want a Bus Light or something similar. You'd have to pay like fifty bucks to get one of those.

Both are owned by the same people. They also own Game. Have yet to go to Game but Migo and Hammerheads i've been to countless times.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
I'm around Douglas Loop all the time and have never been to Migo. Heard good things.

Second Sergio's.

Not endorsing Game. Went there one time and we ate on a slant ways cut tree stump, glasses were stained with grease and service generally sucked. To make things worse, the waiters were these hipster weirdos didn't see the problem with stained glasses. That was like the first month it opened. Might've improved.

I'm around Douglas Loop all the time and have never been to Migo. Heard good things.

Second Sergio's.

Not endorsing Game. Went there one time and we ate on a slant ways cut tree stump, glasses were stained with grease and service generally sucked. To make things worse, the waiters were these hipster weirdos didn't see the problem with stained glasses. That was like the first month it opened. Might've improved.
You gotta go to Migo, so damn good.

Second Sergio's.

Two of my good friends are the owners of Migo and Hammerheads/Game. I believe game has really stepped up in terms of service. First month of any place is always kinda testy. I used to be a line cook for years before I went to grad school.

ADVERTISEMENT