ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky will beat Auburn

I know that auburn is the surprise team of the year, but why is the media not mentioning the pathetic OOC schedule they played? Uconn was probably the best win, and a loss to Temple? I'm not a Syracuse fan, but they get called out every year for that.
RPI #4 you ass clown.

Lick our Pearls. Shot terrible last night and still beat UK by double digits. If we had shot our season average it would have been a 20+ point win. Shows our elite we are to win playing like dog shit.

I know that auburn is the surprise team of the year, but why is the media not mentioning the pathetic OOC schedule they played? Uconn was probably the best win, and a loss to Temple? I'm not a Syracuse fan, but they get called out every year for that.
If they weren't beating sec teams pretty soundly that might be an issue but considering the number of double digit wins they've had over sec teams its not really a big deal .

Reactions: rockycard
Auburn fans ... what are your expectations for the rest of the season? Like, what is the barometer for success/failure? Elite 8, Final 4? You guys have a good team. I know folks like to poke fun at Pearl, but I've always liked him. Had a chance to talk hoops with him once. Seems like a nice guy.

Reactions: olsonab
Don't be a sore loser. Top 5 class Auburn beat last night and they deserve props. Not their fault because UK doesn't play any defense and the players are overrated.
Our defense is atrocious, but we can't throw the ball in the ocean, which is a much bigger issue..

Quite frankly, we suck.

RPI #4 you ass clown.

Lick our Pearls. Shot terrible last night and still beat UK by double digits. If we had shot our season average it would have been a 20+ point win. Shows our elite we are to win playing like dog shit.
I would say act like you've been there before.. but everyone knows Auburn hasn't. Good win last night, Auburn is legit. I hope you guys do well in the tournament.

Auburn fans ... what are your expectations for the rest of the season? Like, what is the barometer for success/failure? Elite 8, Final 4? You guys have a good team. I know folks like to poke fun at Pearl, but I've always liked him. Had a chance to talk hoops with him once. Seems like a nice guy.

We hadn’t been even in the NCAA tourney since 2003 so I would say we are well passed anything being construed as a failure now for auburn basketball this season. I just want to win the sec regular season title right now. Up on tennessee by 2 games plus we have head to head tiebreaker over them right now. For the tournament obviously would love a final 4 but I think getting atleast to the 2nd weekend would be gladly taken by all. Matchups in the tourney will be huge for us. Size and us not hitting 3’s is auburns kryponite and where we really miss Having 6’11 Austin Wiley.

Met Bruce and I believe the Tennessee AD at a McDonalds in Nashville Tennessee before a Colts/Titans game. Told him we were from Indiana and he chatted us up for a few minutes. He could not have been a nicer guy.

Sweet 16 would be great .
Anything past that is just more icing on this cake we didn't expect at all .

But NEXT year (granted the NCAA thing doesn't ruin it all) we will go into the season with high expectations. We should return this entire team plus add some incredible talent like Wiley on top .

I'm with @AuHoosier420 ....just making the Tourny will be a huge improvement. I honestly don't see this team making a huge run due to size, but I think a Sweet 16 would be a great year. Regular season SEC title is huge for us right now too. I still think we lose another 2-3 games before the season is done though.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
MTSu is a better win than UConn for Auburn this year. Also Bruce has tried to up our OOC schedule but no one wanted to schedule us before this season. due to us being a low ranked power 5 team that wouldn’t help other teams resumes. Had temple bot beaten auburn and clemson we would have played them this season. We didn’t get to be in the big 12 challenge due to finishing 11th last season in the sec.We upgraded next season though. We are in the Maui for the first time.
I don’t have anything against Auburn, it’s the nature of the beast to be called out with a pathetic schedule like that.

I don’t have anything against Auburn, it’s the nature of the beast to be called out with a pathetic schedule like that.
To be fair we don't have the history to get highly ranked programs to give us scheduled games . Teams like Duke or Kansas or UNC aren't keen on playing us because honestly until now we would hurt their SOS .
But our schedule this year did have a lot of mid majors that are usually pretty good and make the tournament consistently. Temple, UCONN, UAB, Dayton, George Mason, MTSU are usually pretty dependable to make the tourney and have good seasons .

And last year we played 3 B12 teams and went 3-0 against them (Oklahoma, TCU, Texas Tech )

Reactions: rockycard
You mean a Kentucky team loaded with highly ranked players? Glad we didn't have to face that .
Lol

Obviously Kentucky has a ton of individual talent on the team. Their problem is they just can’t or won’t play together. It has cost us several games this year, including Auburn.

By the way, my first post was not a knock on Auburn. I always hope you beat Alabama in everything, too. I hope you guys do well in the Tournament and win the whole thing. I like Pearl. He has always shown nothing but the utmost respect for Kentucky, as well as Charles Barkley.

Kentucky just has a lot of issues that, if taken care of, wouldn’t be in the position they’re currently in and would most definitely have beaten Auburn last night.

Obviously Kentucky has a ton of individual talent on the team. Their problem is they just can’t or won’t play together. It has cost us several games this year, including Auburn.

By the way, my first post was not a knock on Auburn. I always hope you beat Alabama in everything, too. I hope you guys do well in the Tournament and win the whole thing. I like Pearl. He has always shown nothing but the utmost respect for Kentucky, as well as Charles Barkley.

Kentucky just has a lot of issues that, if taken care of, wouldn’t be in the position they’re currently in and would most definitely have beaten Auburn last night.
And if Auburn had played better they could have won by 20 plus.

There are no excuses when your team is nothing but elite blue chippers. "We would have beat you if" comes off as sour grapes .
Auburn beat Kentucky in their last game at Auburn and that team was 11-20 at the end of the year .

And if Auburn had played better they could have won by 20 plus.

There are no excuses when your team is nothing but elite blue chippers. "We would have beat you if" comes off as sour grapes .
Auburn beat Kentucky in their last game at Auburn and that team was 11-20 at the end of the year .

You’re right about this past game. My intention was not to come off as sour grapes. Kentucky is struggling mightily this year and Auburn has taken advantage of it the most. Good for them.

Here’s another stat for you. That’s the first time since 1989 that Auburn has been able to do that. They also got just their 19th win all time vs. Kentucky. Before last year, it had been 20 years since Auburn beat Kentucky.

As I said previously, good luck to Auburn and make the SEC proud.

You’re right about this past game. My intention was not to come off as sour grapes. Kentucky is struggling mightily this year and Auburn has taken advantage of it the most. Good for them.

Here’s another stat for you. That’s the first time since 1989 that Auburn has been able to do that. They also got just their 19th win all time vs. Kentucky. Before last year, it had been 20 years since Auburn beat Kentucky.

As I said previously, good luck to Auburn and make the SEC proud.
No doubt Kentucky owns Auburn in basketball. Much like Auburn does Kentucky in football (26-6-1)

And this Auburn team is going to get better .
I believe we will return everyone next season plus add some players that are highly ranked .

RPI #4 you ass clown.

We shot close to our season averages after the 1-16 start. We went 21-44 and 8-18 from 3 after the poor start.

For me, I think getting through the first weekend would be a resounding success. Having not been in the tournament for 15 years, getting there is almost good enough. Losing the Round of 32 game wouldn't be a failure for the program, but it would be a bit disappointing for this team after such a good season. Anything past the Sweet 16 is gravy.

This team is really good but needs some matchup breaks against the best teams to advance to an Elite 8 or Final 4. The size deficiency is something that will be a problem against some teams and could be our downfall.

Kentucky has more talent than Auburn, if you had switched coaches last night, Kentucky wins big. :)

I don't believe that. Last year, Pearl had 4 freshmen starting, 5 playing regularly, and he had some of the same issues getting players engaged defensively and playing consistent, physical, aggressive defense. I don't think Bruce would have much more success than Cal this year, even with all that talent. At some point, the coach has done all he can do and the players have to execute and play well. That was Bruce's issue last year, and it seems to be Cal's issue this year.

I think that's more of a testament to how hard it is to get freshmen playing well as a team, and it speaks to how good of a coach Cal is to have been successful with lots of freshmen in the past, even if this year isn't going quite as planned. IMO Bama is suffering from some of the same inconsistencies this year because of their heavy reliance on their freshmen additions.

We shot close to our season averages after the 1-16 start. We went 21-44 and 8-18 from 3 after the poor start.
1-16
Is crazy.

In total we shot 36.7% FG & 30% from 3 and won by 10. That’s crazy. Can’t imagine what the score had been if we had shot 45% FG & 38% from 3 as is normal.

1-16
Is crazy.

In total we shot 36.7% FG & 30% from 3 and won by 10. That’s crazy. Can’t imagine what the score had been if we had shot 45% FG & 38% from 3 as is normal.

Some of those early misses were forced by Kentucky, but we also missed a few that were wide open and uncontested. And we went from 2:33 in the first half to the 6:45 in the second half without making a 3. Bryce made the only two 3s that we made in the second half.

I don't believe that. Last year, Pearl had 4 freshmen starting, 5 playing regularly, and he had some of the same issues getting players engaged defensively and playing consistent, physical, aggressive defense. I don't think Bruce would have much more success than Cal this year, even with all that talent. At some point, the coach has done all he can do and the players have to execute and play well. That was Bruce's issue last year, and it seems to be Cal's issue this year.

I think that's more of a testament to how hard it is to get freshmen playing well as a team, and it speaks to how good of a coach Cal is to have been successful with lots of freshmen in the past, even if this year isn't going quite as planned. IMO Bama is suffering from some of the same inconsistencies this year because of their heavy reliance on their freshmen additions.
Excellent post

Reactions: DufnerFanBoy

I don’t think Pearl had 7 five stars playing, big difference.

The most baffling thing about last night: If UK would have simply given the ball down low every possession (instead of shooting a few weird 3s; which Auburn is known to make teams feel they should do) during the first 10 minutes of the game (when Auburn was clearly shooting the ball terribly), UK would have been up by 15+ at halftime.

I wasn't wrong in my OP btw. What was wrong was Doug Shows. Another win due to refs. Has happened all season.

I wasn't wrong in my OP btw. What was wrong was Doug Shows. Another win due to refs. Has happened all season.

that's weak sauce dude....Auburn has blown out almost every SEC team when it wins.....and thats been on the road and at home. UK just had a terrible game plan in the first half...very simple

Auburn fans seem just as bad as Clemson fans

Totally different in person. When I went to Clemson for the FB game. Afterwards, everyone was talking to us how they don’t want to play us again and they got lucky.

However, they did boo when Louisville players went down because they thought it was fake injuries, so we proceeded to boo when they went down. They didn’t like that. :D

Going again this year probably.

If you were in front of me, I’d boo you.

Reactions: DufnerFanBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT