ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. Michigan series starting next season

Kentucky and Michigan will play a game in London in next season as part of a new deal between the men’s basketball programs that lets Kentucky showcase its team abroad and gives Michigan a multiyear series against one of the top universities in the sport.

The arrangements include the universities trading games against one another on campus (known as a home-and-home series) in the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons,
Under the new agreement, Kentucky agreed to play in Ann Arbor in December 2021 and to host Michigan in December 2022.
Michigan Coach Juwan Howard, who was part of Michigan’s famed Fab Five team in the early 1990s, has a longstanding relationship with Calipari that helped lead to the deal. When Howard pursued the Michigan job last spring as an assistant coach with the Miami Heat, he reached out to Calipari as a confidant. Calipari was also instrumental in Howard’s decision to hire former St. Joseph’s Coach Phil Martelli as an assistant coach.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/sports/ncaabasketball/kentucky-michigan-london.html

Awesome idea and gives me a reason to take a European trip!
I went a few years ago when the Bengals played there, skipped the game this season though.
kkkkk.jpg

“There’s a couple things, just so you know,” Calipari said. “When Juwan Howard was hired at Michigan, I called him and I just said, “Listen, if there’s any way I can help you or your program [let me know]. We can talk scheduling, and that’s something I don’t do lightly, but with you, I will.”

“The reason is, he took Bam [Adebayo] under his wing (as an assistant with the Miami Heat],” Calipari said. “[Adebayo] had Kenny [Payne] doing what he did, and he went right to that culture and had Juwan Howard take him under his wing. And look what [Adebayo] is doing now. He’s got a chance to be the [NBA] Defensive Player of the Year, he’s got a chance to be an [NBA] All-Star, I mean, it’s crazy.”

“I said, “You took care of one of mine, so if I can help you in this [let me know],”‘ Calipari said. “Now, I didn’t know they’d be this good. But that’s where it started. Then we got together [to talk] about a neutral [court game], and then a home-and-home. It should be a good three-year thing for both programs. It should be good.”

Just think, that Archie Miller and Calipari's friendship goes back much longer.

“There’s a couple things, just so you know,” Calipari said. “When Juwan Howard was hired at Michigan, I called him and I just said, “Listen, if there’s any way I can help you or your program [let me know]. We can talk scheduling, and that’s something I don’t do lightly, but with you, I will.”

“The reason is, he took Bam [Adebayo] under his wing (as an assistant with the Miami Heat],” Calipari said. “[Adebayo] had Kenny [Payne] doing what he did, and he went right to that culture and had Juwan Howard take him under his wing. And look what [Adebayo] is doing now. He’s got a chance to be the [NBA] Defensive Player of the Year, he’s got a chance to be an [NBA] All-Star, I mean, it’s crazy.”

“I said, “You took care of one of mine, so if I can help you in this [let me know],”‘ Calipari said. “Now, I didn’t know they’d be this good. But that’s where it started. Then we got together [to talk] about a neutral [court game], and then a home-and-home. It should be a good three-year thing for both programs. It should be good.”

Just think, that Archie Miller and Calipari's friendship goes back much longer.

Fred Glass kind of rubbed Cal and Barnhardt the wrong way. I think we’ll eventually renew that series. Seems like progress has been made the last few years.

That said I hate when we schedule cal’s buddies as we don’t do well against them. Look at what Barnes is doing to us at Tennessee. Alford left UCLA with a winning record against us. He struggled with Crean at IU.

Pretty cool that it’s in London. I’ve always wanted to visit.

Totally getting tickets to this and checking out a PL game while there

Kentucky’s first trip to London since Kentucky won the Olympic Gold Medal for the United States in 1948. Respect. Literally ecstatic about this game. Have half my family going. Probably going to take train to France 2nd half of trip.

Reactions: UL_1986
Kentucky’s first trip to London since Kentucky won the Olympic Gold Medal for the United States in 1948. Respect. Literally ecstatic about this game. Have half my family going. Probably going to take train to France 2nd half of trip.
St Tropez

I'm not a fan of the London game but I like the adding of more quality home and homes to our schedule.
How can you not be a fan of the London game? Great experience for both teams and a good reason for fans to take another vacation. It’s never been done there before, so it’s a good thing to show others around the world what college hoops is like in the US.

I went a few years ago when the Bengals played there, skipped the game this season though.
kkkkk.jpg
The player in the gray looks too douchey to be a pro player, but at least he was nice enough to pose with you, so I guess he couldn't be a total dikhole. Can't believe he put his arm around you though. Seems like he might be coming on to you?

I like your fu manchu mustache/shaved melon look though.

Reactions: Da_Bull
Kudos for cal, I thought he was done with home and home games after the IU tizzy.

Also pretty cool imo that they are playing a game in London. I dunno if the British follow college basketball as much as they might follow the nba or esp nfl, just bc really the nfl is the only pro football league in the world that I’m aware of, but it’s still pretty cool and will obv be a great experience for the players and fans alike.

The player in the gray looks too douchey to be a pro player, but at least he was nice enough to pose with you, so I guess he couldn't be a total dikhole. Can't believe he put his arm around you though. Seems like he might be coming on to you?

I like your fu manchu mustache/shaved melon look though.

When I saw the redskins players in their uniforms in the background I got to thinking maybe the bald guy was fat jay glazer and Kevin was the other guy. But glazer would have probably been decked out in more professional attire (no offense I rock hoody’s every day of the winter) but fwiw you kinda look like jay glazer in that photo. And I know it’s impossible but the guy next to you looks a lot like Josh Allen in the face. (Buffalo qb not uk defensive badass)

Last edited:
Wonder if UK will have a home court advantage in the line of thinking that the fans in London can relate UK to the United Kingdom lmao

Kudos for cal, I thought he was done with home and home games after the IU tizzy.

Also pretty cool imo that they are playing a game in London. I dunno if the British follow college basketball as much as they might follow the nba or esp nfl, just bc really the nfl is the only pro football league in the world that I’m aware of, but it’s still pretty cool and will obv be a great experience for the players and fans alike.
People from Britain don’t really follow US college sports at all. The only American sporting event the average person over there really knows about is the Super Bowl. This is a game for UK and Michigan alumni that live in London/Europe and can easily make it over to see a big game. Obviously there will be some people with no ties to either school there but for the most part this game is for Americans that live abroad. It’s pretty cool of the 2 schools to do that. Not many colleges would be able to pull that off.

When I saw the redskins players in their uniforms in the background I got to thinking maybe the bald guy was fat jay glazer and Kevin was the other guy. But glazer would have probably been decked out in more professional attire (no offense I rock hoody’s every day of the winter) but fwiw you kinda look like jay glazer in that photo. And I know it’s impossible but the guy next to you looks a lot like Josh Allen in the face. (Buffalo qb not uk defensive badass)
You might know this already, but that's @Kevin Bryan and one of the Bengals. Probably what you meant.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT