Who takes the title

• Kentucky

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Kansas

Votes: 62 42.5%
  • Duke

Votes: 19 13.0%

• Total voters
Only if he has hired Gene Hackman as his assistant and Ollie comes in to shoot all the free throws.
Fun fact:CBB rules use to be that only one player shot free throws. Not until 1920's or 30's did the player who was fouled shoot.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
On paper, there are 8 or 9 teams that could make a case for being loaded. It's impossible to rank them in August.

I agree that August is too early to get into a pissing contest over who will cut down the nets. IMO KU has the most depth and has all the ingredients, but who is the floor leader is yet to be determined.

What's more likely...that Jay Wright cracked the code of how to dominate the game after 20+ years of coaching..or the law of averages finally worked in his favor?

Six straight years of getting bounced in the first or second round (plus a losing season) before winning a title three years ago. Bounced in the 2nd again the following year, then another title with the perfect combo of talent/experience. History would suggest that he's not going to win the national title every other year. Not even sure what you're arguing. He hit his stride 20 years in? He's not seeing a big uptick in talent.

Saying this year's team is as talented as last year's is funny. 4 of the top 5 scorers gone and replaced by Joe Cremo and a few semi-touted freshmen. Even if it were the case, this ain't last year. Far stronger field. Not happening.

Nova will never again play a game again where they shot and made so many unbelievable three's.

This years KU team is like the 2008 team. The team has a deep squad with a lot of talent. All I will commit to is that we will have a great season and give the fans a lot of thrills. But I have set aside the dollars to go to the Final Four.

The field?

I dont know. It's August. I'm in football mode. I know that's pretty foreign for a KU fan. SmokinSmile

College is, these days, I'll admit. I'm not into masochism.

I'm prepared to watch Mahomes launch some bombs to the fastest wideout in the league, though.

Wouldn’t shock me to see UVA and Nova at the top of the Rankings by Xmas time. These other teams have a bunch of teenagers that don’t know how to play together. I am glad I’m not a Duke or UK alum. I don’t know how they watch that slop twice per week. I can only imagine how frustrating it is.

Reactions: jhmossy
Wouldn’t shock me to see UVA and Nova at the top of the Rankings by Xmas time. These other teams have a bunch of teenagers that don’t know how to play together. I am glad I’m not a Duke or UK alum. I don’t know how they watch that slop twice per week. I can only imagine how frustrating it is.

Do you know anything about KU's team this year? Or the others for that matter?

Our you intentionally trying to hurt our feelings? :(

Try harder, you've not got there yet.

Exhibit A your honor. Yes I've seen how UK fans are treated on the IU board. It's pretty much the same as how IU fans are treated on the UK board; or for that matter, any other fan base aside BBN. You guys treat KU, UNC, Duke, UL and IU fans with vile over there. And there's nothing wrong with that: I guess. I mean I see the same treatment toward UK and PU fans on IU's board.
But that's not the point. You guys cannot admit that you do so. And it's much worse.
Feel sorry for me, for what I typed? Why? It's the absolute truth. You guys feel threatened by anything NOT UK.
And spare me the , "attack everything UK". I say plenty of good stuff about your Cats. Problem is, it's never enough. You guys get offended waaaaay to easy. I could write 9 post praising UK. But the only post you'll remember is the 10th where I didnt.
Denial, brother. It's a start.

The thing I respect about the UK board more than any other board is that while you have homerisim, you also will see UK fans acknowledge their weaknesses. The indiana board, and Kansas Phogg also does a good job of this.

The two that are most full of themselves by far are Duke and Carolina boards. At least on Rivals. Especially the Carolina boards. They for years were smug beyond belief talking about “The Carolina Way”, while being shameless in how dirty of a program they actually are. They stick their heads in the sand when anything negative is being said. UK fans do not do that. If the decades long academic scandal that just happened at Carolina would have happened at UK, 2 things would have been different........

1. UK would have been destroyed by the NCAA and the coverage for it on ESPN would have not been buried. It would have been headline news every night. No one can convince me it wouldn’t have happened this way.

2. UK fans would not have been ostriches burying our heads in the sand. There would have been a loud contingency for change. You would have seen fighting and ripping apart of our own fans and a large disgust for what was happening. UK eats it’s own, more than any fan base I’ve seen. Yes, they are extremely optimistic and homer at times, but they switch real quick when things aren’t going well. And you can be sure they would have not held collective hands while burying their heads up their ass while excusing the biggest disgrace which has ever hit college athletics. JMO

The thing I respect about the UK board more than any other board is that while you have homerisim, you also will see UK fans acknowledge their weaknesses. The indiana board, and Kansas Phogg also does a good job of this.

The two that are most full of themselves by far are Duke and Carolina boards. At least on Rivals. Especially the Carolina boards. They for years were smug beyond belief talking about “The Carolina Way”, while being shameless in how dirty of a program they actually are. They stick their heads in the sand when anything negative is being said. UK fans do not do that. If the decades long academic scandal that just happened at Carolina would have happened at UK, 2 things would have been different........

1. UK would have been destroyed by the NCAA and the coverage for it on ESPN would have not been buried. It would have been headline news every night. No one can convince me it wouldn’t have happened this way.

2. UK fans would not have been ostriches burying our heads in the sand. There would have been a loud contingency for change. You would have seen fighting and ripping apart of our own fans and a large disgust for what was happening. UK eats it’s own, more than any fan base I’ve seen. Yes, they are extremely optimistic and homer at times, but they switch real quick when things aren’t going well. And you can be sure they would have not held collective hands while burying their heads up their ass while excusing the biggest disgrace which has ever hit college athletics. JMO

Wow

Tell us why you think it would’ve been headline news every night if that had happened at UK. You mean like every night for the 3 year investigation or just every night (forever?) after the NCAA’s verdict?

Guess it depends on who UVA and Nova have on their schedules early in the season.

UK, KU, Duke and UNC are really challenging themselves early in the season.

But it really isn't all that tough to be a fan of those four programs. Final fours, titles and conference championships aren't all that tough to endure.

Nova fans have been treated to a great three year run, but before that, they were pretty mediocre for a long time with constant early tournament losses often.

As far as UVA, that's the toughest one of them all. That program, under Bennet plays games that don't get north of 65ppg, if that and they just lost to a 16 seed (sorry Mossy, he made me do it) and IMO, their style of play will never win them a title or even get them to a FF. You have to score to win tournament games.

I’m a Nova guy, and really like UVA’s team this year. Fully expecting them to win the ACC and have another crack at a 16 seed come tourney time. They have excellent size and a top tier veteran backcourt.

Nova will probably lead the nation in scoring again. The 3’s will rain down from the skies from all positions on the floor so we will once again just spread everyone out and go to work. For us it will come down to whether the young supporting cast will play defense at the level of our veterans. Not expecting us to be very good on that end of the floor early in the season but hoping Jay gets them up to speed by February as he typically does

Last edited:
I’m a Nova guy, and really like UVA’s team this year. Fully expecting them to win the ACC and have another crack at a 16 seed come tourney time. They have excellent size and a top tier veteran backcourt.

Nova will probably lead the nation in scoring again. The 3’s will rain down from the skies from all positions on the floor so we will once again just spread everyone out and go to work. For us it will come down to whether the young supporting cast will play defense at the level of our veterans. Not expecting us to be very good on that end of the floor early in the season but hoping Jay gets them up to speed by February as he typically does
But wait, you said Duke and UK have teenagers that don't know how to play together and referred to their performances as "slop" (apparently you didn't watch Duke in Canada or UK in the Bahamas), but you're saying Nova is going to be better but Jay Wright needs to get the young supporting cast to play defense up to a veteran level???

You do know that UK, KU, Duke and UNC all have key veterans on their squads right?

UVA and Nova are going to be phenomenal, but you might want to take another look at the 4 programs your shoving to the side.

This is going to be a different year than we have seen in a long time. This might be the strongest Cbb has been since the early 90's.

As far as UVA, that's the toughest one of them all. That program, under Bennet plays games that don't get north of 65ppg, if that and they just lost to a 16 seed (sorry Mossy, he made me do it) and IMO, their style of play will never win them a title or even get them to a FF. You have to score to win tournament games.

giphy.gif

Reactions: kyjeff1
I was thinking Nevada as well

I talked myself into Nevada being a final four contender then talked myself right back out of it.

They have some talent and a unique style that’s probably difficult to prepare for(I don’t think they start a player shorter than 6’7).

But they play in a mid major conference. And didn’t exactly dominate that conference last year. And though the comeback against Cincinnati was impressive, let’s not forget they had to play bad enough for the first 30 minutes of the game for that comeback to actually be possible.

Also while I think Cronin is a good coach, he still hasn’t done much worth mention in the postseason.

I think Nevada will get beaten in the sweet sixteen again or earlier.

I never considered them as a legit title threat. A mid major hasn’t won the CBB ship since 1990. And Gonzaga is the only one to even make it to the title game in that same time frame.

The short version: selling on Nevada.

I talked myself into Nevada being a final four contender then talked myself right back out of it.

They have some talent and a unique style that’s probably difficult to prepare for(I don’t think they start a player shorter than 6’7).

But they play in a mid major conference. And didn’t exactly dominate that conference last year. And though the comeback against Cincinnati was impressive, let’s not forget they had to play bad enough for the first 30 minutes of the game for that comeback to actually be possible.

Also while I think Cronin is a good coach, he still hasn’t done much worth mention in the postseason.

I think Nevada will get beaten in the sweet sixteen again or earlier.

I never considered them as a legit title threat. A mid major hasn’t won the CBB ship since 1990. And Gonzaga is the only one to even make it to the title game in that same time frame.

The short version: selling on Nevada.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter if they are a mid major or not....they have a great up and comer imo

UVA only lost two starters from a team that won 31 games last year and went 20-1 in the ACC. People will underestimate us because of UMBC but that’s perfectly fine with me.

Virginia had the most dominant conference run in the most dominant conference and ended up being the first team to lose to a 16 seed and it’s not all that surprising. That style of play gives inferior teams a chance.

You’re not wrong though. 1 game and a lot of people seem to have forgotten the previous 4 months. Virginia looked like the best team in the country by a mile going into the tourney.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter if they are a mid major or not....they have a great up and comer imo

I can’t help but think lack of competition throughout the regular season hurts teams in the tournament after seeing so many good Gonzaga teams underachieve in March and Kentucky come up short in 15.

That was arguably the weakest schedule we’ve played under Calipari and seeing them struggle with Notre Dame and lose to Wisconsin teams that talent wise they should have ran off the floor really made me wonder.

I can’t help but think lack of competition throughout the regular season hurts teams in the tournament after seeing so many good Gonzaga teams underachieve in March and Kentucky come up short in 15.

That was arguably the weakest schedule we’ve played under Calipari and seeing them struggle with Notre Dame and lose to Wisconsin teams that talent wise they should have ran off the floor really made me wonder.

The thing with this Nevada team is that they all return and have some good tourney experience. Otherwise, I'd agree with you

Reactions: KisteK
1) KU
2) Kentucky
3) Duke

Duke too many young guys. Last year at least had Grayson. KU is stacked in every area with many veteran guys. Kentucky is somewhere in between those two.

Gonzaga Will be good too. I think nova will surprise but not win it all.

Virginia had the most dominant conference run in the most dominant conference and ended up being the first team to lose to a 16 seed and it’s not all that surprising. That style of play gives inferior teams a chance.

You’re not wrong though. 1 game and a lot of people seem to have forgotten the previous 4 months. Virginia looked like the best team in the country by a mile going into the tourney.

This is not an excuse for losing to a 16-seed by 20 points but we did lose a guy in DeAndre Hunter who is projected to be a lottery pick this year right before the tourney started. We were not the exact same team as the one who dominated the ACC all year.

ADVERTISEMENT