Who takes the title

• Kentucky

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Kansas

Votes: 62 42.5%
  • Duke

Votes: 19 13.0%

• Total voters
I am surprised that many think this will be a relatively strong year for college basketball. This year’s freshmen are nowhere near the caliber of last year’s. There were also a ton of great seniors in the NCAA last year... not exactly 1st round draft picks but the kind of guys that make for great COLLEGE players.

It is common knowledge in the basketball world that the 2019 draft will be very weak. That is because the overall talent level in the NCAA is significantly down versus last year

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
mossy , I agree completely about Hunter! That was a huge blow to adjust to right before the tourny . I believe it affected the mental state of your club big time . i also think if you could have got past that first game you guys would have adjusted just fine .

Reactions: jhmossy
I am surprised that many think this will be a relatively strong year for college basketball. This year’s freshmen are nowhere near the caliber of last year’s. There were also a ton of great seniors in the NCAA last year... not exactly 1st round draft picks but the kind of guys that make for great COLLEGE players.

It is common knowledge in the basketball world that the 2019 draft will be very weak. That is because the overall talent level in the NCAA is significantly down versus last year

And what makes you think there won't be plenty of great COLLEGE players this year?

"Weak draft" generally translates to "weak top 5 or 10," which really says absolute nothing about the quality of teams this year.

I’m not going to argue with you about why this college basketball will be down this year when comparing to last year. It is universally understood at all levels of the basketball community. Everyone left. Gonzaga, Virginia, Nova, Nevada, are some of the teams returning 2 or more proven studs... but it’s very difficult to think of many more.

Never understood the importance of a season being "up or down". I mean what does it matter? Season still counts, right? My guess is it some type of defense mechanism. So when your rival wins the title, you can say---"Well it was a down year". Just a guess.

I’m not going to argue with you about why this college basketball will be down this year when comparing to last year. It is universally understood at all levels of the basketball community. Everyone left. Gonzaga, Virginia, Nova, Nevada, are some of the teams returning 2 or more proven studs... but it’s very difficult to think of many more.

Universally understood at all levels eh? This is good to know.RollLaugh

Care to wager on Nova vs an "unproven" KU this year?

Care to wager on Nova vs an "unproven" KU this year?

People usually shrink when forced with a bet.

Speaking of which, are we still on for a year long avatar bet for this seasons KU/UK game? You already agreed, so just double checking.

Reactions: KisteK
People usually shrink when forced with a bet.

Speaking of which, are we still on for a year long avatar bet for this seasons KU/UK game? You already agreed, so just double checking.
No way I'd bet this game. At Rupp? Noooo thanks.

Never understood the importance of a season being "up or down". I mean what does it matter? Season still counts, right? My guess is it some type of defense mechanism. So when your rival wins the title, you can say---"Well it was a down year". Just a guess.
It matters because college basketball fans want to see great players and good team basketball when they're watching games. It makes the general experience more enjoyable when you're watching teams other than your own. Games like UK-UNC in 2016, IU-UK in 2012, the UNC-Nova 2017 Title Game, etc. really stand out for instance.

Obviously every season, no matter how down the talent pool is, there is going to have an eventual champion and a title this year is going to have the same weight as one earned in a loaded year like 2015 so I agree with you there.

How in the hell does anyone know on Sept 4th how up or down the talent pool is?

Not to mention, everyone seems to be defining talent as NBA talent. Which honestly tells us next to nothing about the overall quality of NCAA teams.

There are roughly 10 teams that are stacked with talent, experience, or both. Not sure how that equates to down year.

How in the hell does anyone know on Sept 4th how up or down the talent pool is?

Not to mention, everyone seems to be defining talent as NBA talent. Which honestly tells us next to nothing about the overall quality of NCAA teams.

There are roughly 10 teams that are stacked with talent, experience, or both. Not sure how that equates to down year.
This. Every year can't be a down year. At some point it has to be an up year or just an average year.

I have seen multiple people on multiple boards claim "it's a down year" every year for the last 10 years. If true, CBB is at an elementary school level now.

But in all seriousness, this year looks to be an extremely strong year in CBB. There are at least 3 stud teams (UK, Duke & KU) with another group of teams (Nova, UVA, UNC***, UT, Gonzaga, Nevada, possibly Auburn and God knows who else) right behind those three teams. To me, this season will be much stronger than 2015.

Heck, there were many that stated 2015 was a down year during the season.

At some point CBB has to be up, that year is this year.

But in all seriousness, this year looks to be an extremely strong year in CBB. There are at least 3 stud teams (UK, Duke & KU) with another group of teams (Nova, UVA, UNC***, UT, Gonzaga, Nevada, possibly Auburn and God knows who else) right behind those three teams. To me, this season will be much stronger than 2015.
Arizona didn't even make the Final 4 in 2015 and KenPom considers them to be a top 10 squad over the past decade and better than several champions in recent years.

2015 had 4 juggernauts (UK, Wisconsin, Duke, Arizona) and a bunch of solid squads like UVA, MSU, Louisville, Villanova, Utah and Gonzaga.

That's clearly been the best year of college hoops in my eyes since 2008.

Reactions: Montana81
Arizona didn't even make the Final 4 in 2015 and KenPom considers them to be a top 10 squad over the past decade and better than several champions in recent years.

2015 had 4 juggernauts (UK, Wisconsin, Duke, Arizona) and a bunch of solid squads like UVA, MSU, Louisville, Villanova, Utah and Gonzaga.

That's clearly been the best year of college hoops in my eyes since 2008.
Arizona didn't make the FF because they ran into Wisconsin and honestly, Sean Miller couldn't coach his own ass out of a wet paper bag.

Reactions: Montana81
I think everyone but Villanova homers can agree that last year was a down year. And anyone who is rational would assume that this field will be stronger.

The overall #1 got blown out by a 16 seed for shit's sake. Loyola in the final four. A good but not great Nova team embarrassing everyone in their path. One of Self's weakest rosters was arguably the 2nd best team in the country. Very down year.

I think everyone but Villanova homers can agree that last year was a down year. And anyone who is rational would assume that this field will be stronger.

The overall #1 got blown out by a 16 seed for shit's sake. Loyola in the final four. A good but not great Nova team embarrassing everyone in their path. One of Self's weakest rosters was arguably the 2nd best team in the country. Very down year.

I love watching fans of blue bloods try to rationalize things when one of the blue bloods doesn't win it all.

Gotta be better than non blue bloods rationalizing not winning it all.

latest

I love watching fans of blue bloods try to rationalize things when one of the blue bloods doesn't win it all.

There are plenty of non-blueblood title winners from what I'd consider to be good years.

But an overall #1 (or any 1) getting rolled by a 16? Unprecedented. RollLaugh

There are plenty of non-blueblood title winners from what I'd consider to be good years.

But an overall #1 (or any 1) getting rolled by a 16? Unprecedented. RollLaugh
You can't base the entire season off what happens in the tournament. The tournament is all about who gets hot for the final 6 games of the year and the way Villanova was playing in March and April, they would give any past title winner a run for their money.
I get it, KU was thin, but the three ball is the great equalizer and that was something that did very well. Nova was just hotter at the right time.
Still doesn't mean it was a down year, maybe for some programs it was, but everyone needs to realize that cbb is getting better as a collective unit, including mid majors.
UVA's loss to UMBC was an outlier, the stars aligned for just that one game, doesn't mean cbb was down though.

Reactions: KisteK and jhmossy
It matters because college basketball fans want to see great players and good team basketball when they're watching games. It makes the general experience more enjoyable when you're watching teams other than your own. Games like UK-UNC in 2016, IU-UK in 2012, the UNC-Nova 2017 Title Game, etc. really stand out for instance.

Obviously every season, no matter how down the talent pool is, there is going to have an eventual champion and a title this year is going to have the same weight as one earned in a loaded year like 2015 so I agree with you there.
So what your saying is, skip watching the UK/Duke game...Kansas/UK...Villanova/KU games?

You can't base the entire season off what happens in the tournament. The tournament is all about who gets hot for the final 6 games of the year and the way Villanova was playing in March and April, they would give any past title winner a run for their money.
I get it, KU was thin, but the three ball is the great equalizer and that was something that did very well. Nova was just hotter at the right time.
Still doesn't mean it was a down year, maybe for some programs it was, but everyone needs to realize that cbb is getting better as a collective unit, including mid majors.
UVA's loss to UMBC was an outlier, the stars aligned for just that one game, doesn't mean cbb was down though.

I'm not basing it entirely off the tournament. I thought it was a weak year all along. There's no way that Virginia team is overall #1 and wins the ACC by four games (or whatever) in an "up" year.

In an up year, there are multiple great teams. The only team from last season that has any business calling itself great is Villanova, and the field made them look greater than they were.

I'm not basing it entirely off the tournament. I thought it was a weak year all along. There's no way that Virginia team is overall #1 and wins the ACC by four games (or whatever) in an "up" year.

In an up year, there are multiple great teams. The only team from last season that has any business calling itself great is Villanova, and the field made them look greater than they were.
ItIt not like UVA waa some mediocre program, they bring a different style to the table and it works in league play.
Also, just because the overall #1 seed wasn't a blue blood doesn't mean.it was a down year. Duke and UNC*** were still very good, as was FSU. UVA was just the best team in a great conference.
I thought the talent snd coaching was very good last year, maybe not the best ever, but it was far from down.

Hotter? 3 ball an equalizer. You act like we were an NFL Wildcard team that got hot and ran the table. Awful post.

Phil Booth and Eric Paschal returned from their injuries and Villanova started locking teams down defensively. Paschal and Spellman also proved to be the best frontcourt in the country. No one could push them around, and No one could guard them because they were able to score the basketball from all 3 levels of the floor.

Similar to how we destroyed Gonzaga in the Jimmy V Classic... we destroyed everyone in the tournament by double digits because we had our full rotation playing.

A team that plays high IQ, unselfish, and tough basketball is really scary when they are also loaded with NBA talent. This Nova team was better than the 2009 Tar Heels. Your not beating a team where all 5 guys on the court drain 3’s, can drive to the basket and make plays if you sell out to stop it, and can also lock you down on defense.

Hotter? 3 ball an equalizer. You act like we were an NFL Wildcard team that got hot and ran the table. Awful post.

Phil Booth and Eric Paschal returned from their injuries and Villanova started locking teams down defensively. Paschal and Spellman also proved to be the best frontcourt in the country. No one could push them around, and No one could guard them because they were able to score the basketball from all 3 levels of the floor.

Similar to how we destroyed Gonzaga in the Jimmy V Classic... we destroyed everyone in the tournament by double digits because we had our full rotation playing.

A team that plays high IQ, unselfish, and tough basketball is really scary when they are also loaded with NBA talent. This Nova team was better than the 2009 Tar Heels. Your not beating a team where all 5 guys on the court drain 3’s, can drive to the basket and make plays if you sell out to stop it, and can also lock you down on defense.

So how much NBA talent do you have this year?

Since you're going to be equal to last year and all.

Last edited:

Uhhh, "Hotter" is an actual term and yes, Villanova was hotter at that time. They weren't the only team that had lock down defenders.
Also, yes, the 3 ball is an equalizer. If you're deficient in other areas you can still beat better teams by being proficient at hitting threes.
It's really not that hard to understand, but maybe you struggle with things like that, so you just refer to things you don't understand with "awful post".
Do better.

Also, yes, the 3 ball is an equalizer. If you're deficient in other areas you can still beat better teams by being proficient at hitting threes.

Yeah, the Golden State Warriors are a deficient basketball team that is able to beat better teams like the Clippers by out shooting them at the 3 point line.

/sf

Uhhh, "Hotter" is an actual term and yes, Villanova was hotter at that time. They weren't the only team that had lock down defenders.
It's really not that hard to understand, but maybe you struggle with things like that, so you just refer to things you don't understand with "awful post".
Do better.
Where was Villanova deficient? They were a very, very good team.

It was one of the worst takes I've ever read. Nova won every game in the tourney by 12 points or more, and they just had 4 guys drafted in the top 33, yet they were a deficient basketball team that "needed" 3 pointers to beat more talented teams that for some reason had less draft picks and worse results.

Yeah, the Golden State Warriors are a deficient basketball team that is able to beat better teams like the Clippers by out shooting them at the 3 point line.

/sf
One has nothing to do with the other. You're not reading my posts correctly.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here. I never said Nova was deficient, I said they were the hottest team in the tournament. What about that do you not get?
Kansas was the team that was deficient, they were extremely thin in the front court, but they used exceptional 3 point shooting to overcome that deficiency.
You see, this is what happens when you jump in the middle of a conversation that is over your head.

Never said Villanova was deficient. Go back and reread the entire conversation. I said Nova was the hottest team in the NCAAT.
It was KU that we were talking about that had a deficiency (thin frontcourt). You have to go back to the beginning of my conversation with whoever I was talking with.

It was one of the worst takes I've ever read. Nova won every game in the tourney by 12 points or more, and they just had 4 guys drafted in the top 33, yet they were a deficient basketball team that "needed" 3 pointers to beat more talented teams that for some reason had less draft picks and worse results.
No, your takes are the worst in this thread because you're a child that doesn't understand adult conversations. I never said Nova was deficient. Reading comprehension continues to elude you.

Also, seriously "one of the worst takes I've ever read"? Are you new at this whole internet thing?

Never said Villanova was deficient. Go back and reread the entire conversation. I said Nova was the hottest team in the NCAAT.
It was KU that we were talking about that had a deficiency (thin frontcourt). You have to go back to the beginning of my conversation with whoever I was talking with.
Gotcha......My bad. Thats what I get for arriving late to the party..:eek:

Reactions: kyjeff1

@InMyPinkston0, this is where you screwed up, you didn't go back far enough, neither did @METALFACE5 .
Read my quoted post above, if you still don't get it I can't help you.
I even stated that Nova was so hot they would give any past title winner a run for their money.
I then went on to talk about how KU was thin, but they made up for that DEFICIENCY with excellent outside shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT