ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fans and/or Kentucky residents

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Merry Christmas!

My wife surprised me with tickets to the Railbird Festival in Lexington June 1 and 2. Hozier, Chris Stapleton, and more, very excited!

We are only doing the festival on Sunday, so we will have all day Saturday to explore. Few questions:

1. If you could only do one bourbon tour, is there one you’d recommend?

2. Can you take tours of Rupp on the weekend?

3. Any good restaurants? We like steak houses, sushi, and burgers.

4. Any horse farm worth seeing?

Merry Christmas!

My wife surprised me with tickets to the Railbird Festival in Lexington June 1 and 2. Hozier, Chris Stapleton, and more, very excited!

We are only doing the festival on Sunday, so we will have all day Saturday to explore. Few questions:

Go to Bardstown and hit a bunch of distilleries, but Makers and Buffalo Trace are awesome too.
If you go to Buffalo Trace, request 'Freddie' as your tour guide, that dude is an awesome man, best there is.

Heaven Hill and Willett are great, HH is massive.

Lexington, especially dt where the fountains are, is beautiful at night, especially around X-mas time, but I'm glad I don't live in Lexington anymore, it's gotten way too overcrowded.

Merry Christmas!

@GE Nole ,

Merry Christmas! Great gift! I’ve heard people really enjoy it! I don’t think Eupp arena is open during the off-season. Here’s links to what you’ll want to know.

Malone’s Steakhouse,

Burgers

Horse farm tour

I live in Lexington GE, so holler at me if you need anything.

Rupp Arena is in a civic center. The center is open but the arena won't be unless a game is going on. We just redid the entire building so at least driving by it and checking it out from both the High Street and Main Street side by Triangle Park is at least worth your time.

Right across the street from Rupp is Tony's (link: https://tonysoflexington.com/gift-c...eTjkvpmhrIyyp4q_Eu2wpxPDepB-PCnoaArgJEALw_wcB) and down Vine Street is Jeff Ruby's ( link https://www.jeffruby.com/lexington?...foYYUOh9ERQkserCyyqpzpXDlSjbtlk0aApBgEALw_wcB ) Both are excellent high end steakhouses so be prepared to spend some coin, but you and your lady will love them. Malone's mentioned above is also an excellent choice. Just wanted to offer two options that are downtown close to Rupp.

I'm not sure about horse farm tours. I live here so it's not something I ever do. Usually you have to make reservations in advance. A quick Google search showed me we actually have Horse Farm Tour agencies here...I honestly didn't know that. Id check with one of them.

I'd recommend the Woodford Reserve tour because the drive out there from Lexington takes you through scenic horse farm country. Just gorgeous especially in the fall. Also, the Town Branch distillery is downtown here in Lexington basically across from Rupp Arena. I've not done that tour as I'm not a fan of their bourbon.

I'd recommend (haha yet again something very close to Rupp Arena) Justin's House of Bourbon if you want to find some quality bourbon and rare stuff. They've got all manner of good bourbons for sale in there.

I think that covers all your questions. RailBird has been growing in popularity. I know last year or the year before they had a hell of a time with parking and traffic. I may pick up some tickets myself just haven't decided yet. It's always a blast and yall will have fun.

If you have any more Lexington questions just holler at me.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite, mostly because they make most of my favorites: Pappy, Eagle Rare, Stagg, Weller, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, etc.

For steak - Malone's, Ruby's, or Tony's.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite, mostly because they make most of my favorites: Pappy, Eagle Rare, Stagg, Weller, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, etc.

For steak - Malone's, Ruby's, or Tony's.
Can you get me a bottle of Pappy's?

I actually thought that Beam was the most educational tour as well as Makers

Reactions: GE Nole
Can you get me a bottle of Pappy's?

I actually thought that Beam was the most educational tour as well as Makers
I live in Florida now. I got my brother a bottle of Pappy 23 probably 15 years ago for Christmas. This was before the heist. I got it for $300, and sometimes now it sells for $10K plus. Most people prefer the taste of 15 or 20 over the 23 though. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year is the easiest to get and it's pretty good.

I live in Florida now. I got my brother a bottle of Pappy 23 probably 15 years ago for Christmas. This was before the heist. I got it for $300, and sometimes now it sells for $10K plus. Most people prefer the taste of 15 or 20 over the 23 though. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year is the easiest to get and it's pretty good.
I have a bottle of Stagg Barrel proof 130. Haven't opened it yet.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I am a bourbon drinker and no bottle is worth $300. That is alcohol abuse or more specifically bourbon drinker abuse!

Blanton has priced me out of their product. It was a very good reasonable priced bourbon at $50.00 a fifth, but it is way, way too expensive now.

As long as Makers, Knob Creek, Bulleit, Wild Turkey et.al. are available at a good price I will get them and not be ripped off by some others that are no better than the ones named above.

Just my opinion! Plus I am keeping it. I am an old grumpy, stuck in the mud, bourbon drinker that wants to keep my money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT