ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks

That's weird. The people who actually follow this recruitment, and know what they're talking about, disagree.

I get you're angry another in state 5* didn't really even give Purdue a shot. Gotta take it's toll on you after a while.

Eh not really. Painter is what he is when it comes to recruiting. Average recruiter who will land the big fish once in awhile. I’m happy with the class Purdue has coming in. Newman is going to be a stud and could possibly start from Day 1.

This. Snow mentioned something like this where the visit had a very good impression on him. However, it didn't put them as a leader in this or anything like that. In fact, he's never even called IU a leader. He's always said it was a three team battle with IU and MSU always being there and UK and UNC fighting for the third spot. Now that UNC is out, it's a three team race again. My guess/hope is playing time/necessity of production/playing with TJD and Franklin will win out and he'll be a Hoosier. BUT, tough to ever count out UK in recruiting. I won't believe it until the kid commits and signs.

We've gotten a lot of player wants to play with player and that hasn't worked out often. We've gotten 1 or the other. Fox was the exception, a lot of guys wanted to play with him.

We've gotten a lot of player wants to play with player and that hasn't worked out often. We've gotten 1 or the other. Fox was the exception, a lot of guys wanted to play with him.
I'm sure it's a differing level of importance for each player. I have no clue where Keion is gonna go. I do think it comes down to IU and UK, though.

Is there any downside to buying players? MSU needs to just start purchasing kids like the blue bloods.

I’m thankful we get the one and dones from decent families that don’t take handouts but they’re few and far between. We really need to get on board with the bagmen.

Last edited:
Is there any downside to buying players? MSU needs to just start purchasing kids like the blue bloods.

I’m thankful we get the one and dones from decent families that don’t take handouts but they’re few and far between. We really need to get on board with the bagmen.

It's always hard to detect sarcasm on message boards.

Reactions: kl40504
When Michigan State fans act like they don't play the game, I always wonder if they are stupid or trolling.

I'm not sure who we've "played the game" for, since we don't really get that many 5-stars. Almost every recruit is local to the great-lakes region. Here is every 5-star we've gotten for the last decade:

Jaren Jackson Jr (2017)
Miles Bridges (2016)
Josh Langford (2016)
Gary Harris (2012)
Branden Dawson (2011)
Adreian Payne (2010)

Our highest ever recruit, Jaren Jackson Jr's dad played in the NBA, and his mom worked for the NCAA for law and compliance.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/jaren-jackson-michigan-state-strictly-business

In that same time span, we've missed out on:

Cliff Alexander
Josh Jackson (Michigan native)
Brian Bowen (Michigan native, with a comment from Merl Code that we were one of the only teams that would NOT pay for Bowen, a recruit that is related to a former player of ours)
Eric Davis (Michigan native)

Among dozens of others. If we are playing the game, we aren't very good at it.

I'm not sure who we've "played the game" for, since we don't really get that many 5-stars. Almost every recruit is local to the great-lakes region. Here is every 5-star we've gotten for the last decade:

Jaren Jackson Jr (2017)
Miles Bridges (2016)
Josh Langford (2016)
Gary Harris (2012)
Branden Dawson (2011)
Adreian Payne (2010)

Our highest ever recruit, Jaren Jackson Jr's dad played in the NBA, and his mom worked for the NCAA for law and compliance.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/jaren-jackson-michigan-state-strictly-business

Cliff Alexander
Brian Bowen (Michigan native, with a comment from Merl Code that we were one of the only teams that would NOT pay for Bowen, a recruit that is related to a former player of ours)

Is there a common theme there. What teams got those players?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Key word there is utilized more. I am sure Brooks has seen that.
Two, totally different players/styles. I do agree, or feel , Romeo hasn't been utilized the best...But he's still a focal point of the offense...still is averaging 17ppg....still might be FOY. That too, I am sure Brooks has seen.

Brooks, TJD and Franklin are very good, close friends. Playing together has been a big issue with these three. Brooks has said himself what it would mean to play at IU.

We shall see....

Jaren Jackson Jr (2017)
Miles Bridges (2016)
Josh Langford (2016)
Gary Harris (2012)
Branden Dawson (2011)
Adreian Payne (2010)

Cliff Alexander

Eh you were finalists for Cliff Alexander and Josh Jackson. You are the company you keep and all that. Michigan State has recruited at a top 10 level for 20 years. I'm pretty sure Self at KU vs Izzo is 2-2 on major recruits. We got JJ and CA. You guys got Shannon Brown and Gary Harris. Mateen Cleaves had a shady recruitment, right?

I'm not sure guys being in the great lakes region helps your argument considering everybody recruits that region. Dirty programs are recruiting the great lakes but these guys want to stay in Michigan so bad they turn down $ to leave?

Eh you were finalists for Cliff Alexander and Josh Jackson. You are the company you keep and all that. Michigan State has recruited at a top 10 level for 20 years. I'm pretty sure Self at KU vs Izzo is 2-2 on major recruits. We got JJ and CA. You guys got Shannon Brown and Gary Harris. Mateen Cleaves had a shady recruitment, right?

I'm not sure guys being in the great lakes region helps your argument considering everybody recruits that region. Dirty programs are recruiting the great lakes but these guys want to stay in Michigan so bad they turn down $ to leave?

Kansas was not involved at all with Gary Harris or Shannon Brown. Neither even had offers from KU. It's disingenuous to even suggest that those were MSU KU recruiting battles.

Cliff Alexander specifically cut MSU when they weren't willing to play.

https://articles.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/10/top_recruit_cliff_alexander_el.amp

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
Yup. Only Purdue fans call that one clean. If the roles were reversed and he originally committed to PU and then went to MSU, the allegations of Izzo cheating would still be posted on their boards. Lol.
Nope. I'm firmly convinced Jaren Jackson and Gary Harris were clean because I understand the family dynamic, just like Swanigan.

Kansas was not involved at all with Gary Harris or Shannon Brown. Neither even had offers from KU. It's disingenuous to even suggest that those were MSU KU recruiting battles.

https://articles.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/10/top_recruit_cliff_alexander_el.amp
Ha I stand corrected. I remembered them being guys we were in on but I’ll take your word for it.

The point remains MSU has recruited well enough that they are playing the game unless you think only a couple of schools are dirty or guys are turning down cash to live in central MIchigan. What are your thoughts on the Wichita Sunrise guys Izzo has been signing? It’s definitely rumored to be shady at least as a school and since you are signing guys outside the Great Lakes it has to make you wonder. I have a ton of respect for izzo and MSU fwiw just can’t believe the holier than thou bs from MSU fans.

I really think the top 15-20 programs are doing something. Ku loses a lot of recruits to good and bad programs to make me think we are 1 of 3-4 schools paying players.

Nope. I'm firmly convinced Jaren Jackson and Gary Harris were clean because I understand the family dynamic, just like Swanigan.
giphy.gif

Reactions: jace4655555

This kind of response is the typical Purdue freeboard response.

Do you realize that Purdue and MSU recruit a mainly the same players? Are all of those dirty, or only the ones Purdue didn't get?

We got Xavier Tillman, Malik Hall, Nick Ward, JJJ.

Purdue got Nojel, Swanigan, Trevion, Vince Edwards, etc.

Do you realize that Purdue and MSU recruit a mainly the same players? Are all of those dirty, or only the ones Purdue didn't get?

My initial post was a joke. I have no idea about whether MSU cheats. But I can confidently say you didn't cheat for Jackson or Harris.

Snu had to drop his typical obsession with all things Purdue to pollute the back and forth.

My initial post was a joke. I have no idea about whether MSU cheats. But I can confidently say you didn't cheat for Jackson or Harris.

Snu had to drop his typical obsession with all things Purdue to pollute the back and forth.
Or...I was messing with you just like you were with MileHigh. So it’s cool when you do it, but not when I do it. Lol, ok...

You’re such a douche, man. Seriously.

Just the one's we got weren't dirty Winking

Msu never offered edwards either. The other 3 are the only recruits painter has gotten over izzo.

Last edited:
After the recent fbi investigation you pretty much have to assume almost all 5 stars get paid at this point. Coach involvement is a completely different story.

Actually, I change my mind. Miles Bridges’ mom received a free lunch to the tune of about $50. It’s unclear if she ordered a coke or a water which could have exceeded the $50 threshold. We’re basically Kansas...

Reactions: jace4655555

And Cleaves was being offered $$$ from Ed Martin at UM. And it probably would have worked until he got into an auto accident while on a night out with other UM players and recruits and the Martin stink started to become exposed.

I hear that MSU was all but signed with Chris Webber before he was bought by UM at the last hour.

The common thread is that Izzo had years of time invested in these mega recruits. He stays in it until it becomes readily apparent that the camp needs to get paid. Then bows out. Cliff Alexander and Josh Jackson are the two most recent examples of this.

fwiw, it's IU. it's done, he's not coming to UK. IU will be his choice. tifwiw.

100% done. I stay away from this shit, but...it's done. IU premium insiders should be getting the news anytime now.

I only have one source and he owns the ford box suite in fedex. congrats IU

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighSpartan
He's a good player no doubt, but I guess I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be when he played for FW North Side. He wasn't really a big factor in their state finals loss, or at least not what I thought. Maybe he was overhyped at that time but maybe he's become that level of player with LaLu that I'm missing. I'd like to see him do well being from the area, but Deshaun Thomas seemed more ready when he was this age.

Two, totally different players/styles. I do agree, or feel , Romeo hasn't been utilized the best...But he's still a focal point of the offense...still is averaging 17ppg....still might be FOY. That too, I am sure Brooks has seen.

Brooks, TJD and Franklin are very good, close friends. Playing together has been a big issue with these three. Brooks has said himself what it would mean to play at IU.

We shall see....
I think Brook's father has decided he prefers his son not get involved with the dumpster fire at IU. Especially after hearing how the fans treated Purdue and Harms last night. That is the same reason Cal refuses to play IU at Ass hall any more.

I think Brook's father has decided he prefers his son not get involved with the dumpster fire at IU. Especially after hearing how the fans treated Purdue and Harms last night. That is the same reason Cal refuses to play IU at Ass hall any more.

Jerome Hunter. Top 50 kid(once Top 40), who has been out for the year; medical issue. He's damn near a clone of Brooks.
I thought Brook
Jerome Hunter. Top 50 kid(once Top 40), who has been out for the year; medical issue. He's damn near a clone of Brooks.
I thought Brooks was a 5 star player which means he has to be a top 25 player. Doesn't sound like a clone to Hunter to me.

Not a recruiting guy but this is going to get interesting. IU and Mich State have been favored. Kid is from Indiana. Goes to Kentucky vs Tennessee game and cancels visit to Michigan State. I always think every recruit will go to Kentucky. But it looks good for Kentucky, right?

Kentucky has been favored for a long time. I’m not sure if the kid has visited MSU. I know IU falling apart can’t help them.

ADVERTISEMENT