ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Tilmon, 4 fouls in 4 minutes of play last night for his game line

Silent Banjo

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2017
Since he's already fouled out in multiple games this year, you'd think Cuonzo would have taken some steps to avoid this tragi-comic farce.

If he’s committing a foul a minute there’s only so much a coach can do I guess

If he’s committing a foul a minute there’s only so much a coach can do I guess
My point was that he should be coached on ways to avoid those fouling tendencies. Perhaps work on his footwork and positioning.

So I played with this idiot in church league once. Games were four, 8-minute quarters. He'd regularly foul in in a single quarter in darn near every game.

My point was that he should be coached on ways to avoid those fouling tendencies. Perhaps work on his footwork and positioning.
You realize Martin is the head coach at mu, right? This is what he brings. High caliber talent, and zero coaching. He’s a hell of a recruiter, and that’s about it.

Reactions: Jaycg15
You realize Martin is the head coach at mu, right? This is what he brings. High caliber talent, and zero coaching. He’s a hell of a recruiter, and that’s about it.
Yes, I know all about Martin, but usually a talented player survives his coaching with a semblance of efficiency.

Yeah, I'm sure it hasn't been addressed once by the coaching staff.

Do you have the same questions about Self and coaching Azubuike on free throws?

I have questions about Self keeping him in the game when they are intentionally putting him at the line. Dok has no touch. He shoots 5 and in and almost exclusively with one hand. If the defender left him open 5-10 at the basket he would never, ever shoot...b/c he cant. His mechanics look like his arm is having a stroke....nothing will fix that----just like shaq.

It doesn't appear to have been addressed once by the coaching staff. Whatever may have been imparted certainly hasn't been effectively learned.

You should know first that I'm not a Kansas fan, but the issue with lousy free throw shooting is that it's often an intrinsic problem with the player that coaching can't remedy. Another Kansas player, Wilt Chamberlain, was a horrible free throw shooter, and so was Shaquille O'Nel. However, if they were fouling out in 4 to 10 minutes of play, that would have a far greater more detrimental effect on the team than bad free throw shooting.

It doesn't appear to have been addressed once by the coaching staff. Whatever may have been imparted certainly hasn't been effectively learned.

You should know first that I'm not a Kansas fan, but the issue with lousy free throw shooting is that it's often an intrinsic problem with the player that coaching can't remedy. Another Kansas player, Wilt Chamberlain, was a horrible free throw shooter, and so was Shaquille O'Nel. However, if they were fouling out in 4 to 10 minutes of play, that would have a far greater more detrimental effect on the team than bad free throw shooting.
I was just referencing another prominent issue where a talented player has a glaring hole in their game. Tilmon being foul-prone is likely more about a freshman adjusting to the speed of the major-college game than it is any coaching error.

Your point about free throw shooting is the exact one I'm trying to make - sometimes simply coaching a player harder won't fix an issue.

I was just referencing another prominent issue where a talented player has a glaring hole in their game. Tilmon being foul-prone is likely more about a freshman adjusting to the speed of the major-college game than it is any coaching error.

Your point about free throw shooting is the exact one I'm trying to make - sometimes simply coaching a player harder won't fix an issue.
I don't think those deficiencies are comparable. Frequently, poor free throw shooting is something that is never corrected. Wilt tried different stances, read psychology books, hired special free throw coaches, and he still sucked at that aspect of his game. Conversely, fouling out at such a prodigious rate is something that can be avoided by instilling a basic bit of intelligence. I realize that some players are overeager and forget what they've been taught, but this degree of fouling is something I'd have to consult the record books for to determine a similar instance.

one thing I hate about college basketball is that most often this happens........... Tilmon can play the exact same way...... but as a junior and senior wont be called for nearly as many fouls...

Whether they are freshmen or seniors..... call the game the same way douche nozzle refs...

Self and Martin are worlds apart. One is a HOf’er, the other can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

Not pulling Dok, and allowing OU to continue to foul him, has certainly been addressed. I understand his decision. How do you take out your only big man, and one of the best players on a very thin team, in the most crucial minutes? Also, if the opposing team is intentionally fouling, shouldn’t the refs call and intentional foul? That still is a head scratcher. Anyways, I promise you all he’s been doing this week is shooting free throws. He’ll get better this year free throws. I doubt Tillman will at fouling.

Self and Martin are worlds apart. One is a HOf’er, the other can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

Not pulling Dok, and allowing OU to continue to foul him, has certainly been addressed. I understand his decision. How do you take out your only big man, and one of the best players on a very thin team, in the most crucial minutes? Also, if the opposing team is intentionally fouling, shouldn’t the refs call and intentional foul? That still is a head scratcher. Anyways, I promise you all he’s been doing this week is shooting free throws. He’ll get better this year free throws. I doubt Tillman will at fouling.
Just FYI, I wasn't taking a shot at Self, Kansas, or Azubuike. Was just looking to draw a parallel of a guy consistently struggling at one aspect of his game - even in spite of a coach's best efforts.

Reactions: npreston
Just FYI, I wasn't taking a shot at Self, Kansas, or Azubuike. Was just looking to draw a parallel of a guy consistently struggling at one aspect of his game - even in spite of a coach's best efforts.
Understood. I didn’t take it as you were taking a shot. No worries brother.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler

Jake Trotter ESPN Staff Writer Facebook Twitter Facebook Messenger Pinterest Email print comment A day after center Udoka Azubuike missed six straight free throws late in a loss at the Oklahoma Sooners, one apparent fan took it upon himself to help the Kansas Jayhawks with their free throw shooting. According to the Lawrence Journal-World, University of Kansas police were called Wednesday to the dorm that houses the men's basketball team after a man kept showing up to offer "free throw advice" to the Jayhawks. The man, who was wearing a blue and red windbreaker -- Kansas' colors -- had already left. The Journal-World reported that police had no plans to file a criminal report and didn't say which player or players he was attempting to give free throw tips to. Kansas guard Malik Newman said Thursday that teammate Lagerald Vick told him that he saw the man outside the Jayhawks' dorm on Wednesday. "[Vick] told me about it, and I think it's crazy," Newman said. "For a guy to take time out of his day to come all the way down here and want to yell at some young men about some free throws and things like that, it just speaks about the fan base, how much they love us, how much they care." Kansas coach Bill Self said Thursday, "It was a little strange because it was unsolicited, but it was probably all good intentions." "I didn't have a reaction [to the news]," Self continued, "because apparently he told everybody that he was coming to see me next. So as long as it's not Freddy Krueger, I'm OK with it." Azubuike was intentionally fouled four times in the final four minutes of the Jayhawks' 85-80 loss on Tuesday. The 7-footer twice misfired on the front end of a 1-and-1 and then missed four more free throws, which helped the Sooners rally for the win. After the game, Self said it was a "bad decision" on his part to leave Azubuike in the game, though he added he didn't want to hurt the sophomore's confidence, either. On Wednesday night, Self said on his weekly radio show that he checked on Azubuike earlier that morning. "I said, 'Doke, [did the] sun come up today? You OK? ... I kind of put you out there, didn't I?" Self said of the exchange. "He said, 'No, no, you didn't at all.' I said, 'I put you out there. I apologize for that. But I think you and I should get together and we've got to correct this, don't we?'"

Maybe some amped up Mizzou fan should barge into Tilmon's dorm with some sage advice about position defense.

Tillmon has been called for some really bad fouls by officials....but he also commits some really dumb ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT