ADVERTISEMENT

Antoine Davis is within reach of Pistol Pete

Davis has made good reads with his passes - but, shot selection is definitely forced. 1-5 on the floor with 2 points. Detroit is up 17-9.

I forgot that Gerald Liddell, former top 50 recruit that played at Texas, transferred to Detroit. Liddell and Davis couldn't get Detroit Mercy any higher than 8th in the Horizon? Wild.

Detroit Mercy is up 47-43 with 14+ minutes left. Davis now has 15 points. Just 11 points away from breaking the record. It's possible that Detroit could advance to the semis and Davis break the record in the same night.... of course, they could still lose. And Davis could end his career a point or two shy of the scoring mark. Last 14 minutes should be fun.

Detroit is up 63-60 with under 4 minutes left! Davis has 20 points (7-20 from the field) and just needs 5 points to tie the record.

He has taken quite a few jumpers - and sometimes he's trigger happy. But man, Davis is quick AF. He has no problem creating his own shot. Hard to stay in front of him... I do feel like getting the dub is his main focus right now, so I am starting to feel like I misjudged him a bit.

Technical foul. Davis got 2 free throws. Up to 22 points. One three-pointer could tie it.

Be great if he shoots what he thinks is the game tying three and for 25…..only to have it ruled a two after video replay and they lose and he ends up tied

Reactions: dukedevilz
I want to say he was like 1 for 9 in the final 10 minutes. He does great at creating space, just couldn't knock down the jumpers.

0-7 to finish. Negative assist to TO. Glad the record is intact.
Me, too---Sort of. I remember the kid when he was a toddler, and his dad was coaching IU...

Not sure if anyone will ever again come close, TBH....

Mike Davis said they would accept a CBI or CIT invitation so I am sure they'll get it just because a dozen or so people might watch just to see him break the record. 🤣

That would be a lame ass way to break the record.

Either way, Pete did it in 3 seasons (83 games) with no shot clock or 3-pt line while it took Davis 5 years (144 games) in a mid major conference. That is pretty damn crazy to think about.

Maravich did it in 3 years with no 3 point shot. 🤯

What’s the ppg record? Does maravich have that too? I’d imagine that’s one that will never be broken

Glad Pistol's record stands. isn't right for someone to break it by playing basically 2 seasons worth of games more than Pistol.

Reactions: toonces11
Mike Davis said they would accept a CBI or CIT invitation so I am sure they'll get it just because a dozen or so people might watch just to see him break the record. 🤣

That would be a lame ass way to break the record.

Either way, Pete did it in 3 seasons (83 games) with no shot clock or 3-pt line while it took Davis 5 years (144 games) in a mid major conference. That is pretty damn crazy to think about.
They will have to pay 50k to get in the CBI. Will they do that for that for the record?

They will have to pay 50k to get in the CBI. Will they do that for that for the record?

I'm sure his dad would pay it just so he could get the record.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Pretty crazy. Granted, Pistol averaged 38 shots and 14 FT attempts a game in his 3 years at LSU. Doubt you'd be able to find 4 other guys willing to play on the same team with someone that took 40+ shots a game in this era (keep in mind that if you're fouled on a shot it doesn't count as a FG attempt unless it went in, so Pete was well over 40 attempts a game).

Pete had 3166 FG attempts (43.8%) and 1152 FT attempts (77.5%) in 83 games.
Davis had 2987 FG attempts (40.8% overall, including 1566 attempts from 3) and 715 FT attempts (89.2%) in 144 games.

Pretty crazy. Granted, Pistol averaged 38 shots and 14 FT attempts a game in his 3 years at LSU. Doubt you'd be able to find 4 other guys willing to play on the same team with someone that took 40+ shots a game in this era. 🤣
That has always been my one knack against pistol. The offense was predicated to get him and only him shots. Yes he averaged 44/game, but he took 38 shots a game. Those are almost Allen Iverson like numbers.

That has always been my one knack against pistol. The offense was predicated to get him and only him shots. Yes he averaged 44/game, but he took 38 shots a game. Those are almost Allen Iverson like numbers.
If you add up all his shots (FG, FT, and missed FG attempts but was fouled on so they don't show up in the stat line) he was putting up close to 60 shots a game. 🤣

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
I'm ok with him breaking the record----even though it will have taken him 5 years, and having the luxruy of the 3-point shot.

I mean could Babe Ruth done what he did, vs today's pitching? 98 mph sliders, that fall off the table. Who da fuq had that pitch in 1925?
I think Pistol Pete would still dominate at Detroit Mercy. Not exactly the same as comparing Babe Ruth against major league pitching today.

1967/68 14-12
1968/69 13-13
1969/70 22-10 Lost in NIT semi final

Another thing I didn't realize, Pistol Pete Maravich's coach was Petar "Press" Maravich... his father.

I think Pistol Pete would still dominate at Detroit Mercy. Not exactly the same as comparing Babe Ruth against major league pitching today.
Game has changed......Babe would face probably 2-4 different pitchers...98 mph sliders....95 mph cutters,etc.....

Not saying "The Babe" wouldn't still been the man, but the game is different.

Game has changed......Babe would face probably 2-4 different pitchers...98 mph sliders....95 mph cutters,etc.....

Not saying "The Babe" wouldn't still been the man, but the game is different.
Didn't he basically use a tree trunk for a bat?

* found it.
  1. The Bambino was said to have used a 54-ounce hickory bat during the early stages of his career.
    Ruth would use different bats throughout his career—including a 36-inch, 46-ounce monster used to hit the first home run on Opening Day at the then-new Yankee Stadium in 1923.
    He would use lighter bats as his career progressed—using a 40-ounce bat during his 60-homer season in 1927."

#2 was Mo Vaughn who used a 36oz bat.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
ADVERTISEMENT