ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mark Few the best CBB coach in America?

I'm not sure there really is a best there are top tier coaches and I think a guy needs a title to be in that group.
For sure, and I put recency bias into it as well. Coach Wright's two titles in the last 5 years means more than Izzo's title 20 years ago. Coach K's 2015 title means more than his titles in the 90's.

But there is a chance that Gonzaga wins the Championship this year. They will lose Kispert, Suggs, and maybe Ayayi. But they'll add Chet Holmgren (#1 overall recruit) and Hunter Sallis (5 star PG). It's very possible that they will be number 1 again NEXT year too.

The difference is Villanova and the Big East

Especially in the era Jay Wright arrived in with Villanova.

As great as they are you have a team that can grind and will fight.

Villanova would have never won big in the Big East without being that team.

There is a toughness with Villanova that I don't see at Gonzaga.
In my mind you can have tough players but a program won't be tough unless the coach creates that culture

Jay Wright
Tony Bennett (yuck)
K
Roy
Self
Beard

Probably missing someone Idk.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
For sure, and I put recency bias into it as well. Coach Wright's two titles in the last 5 years means more than Izzo's title 20 years ago. Coach K's 2015 title means more than his titles in the 90's.

But there is a chance that Gonzaga wins the Championship this year. They will lose Kispert, Suggs, and maybe Ayayi. But they'll add Chet Holmgren (#1 overall recruit) and Hunter Sallis (5 star PG). It's very possible that they will be number 1 again NEXT year too.

To be clear, he's up there. He's also ahead of the curve on the semi-free agency process the college game is currently looking like. He is working in a more unique situation than the other top coaches, so it's really hard to evaluate it all.

Ok, just because it gets really annoying hearing it all the time. Someone explain to me how Gonzaga CONSISTENTLY underperforms in the tournament.

In 2008 Gonzaga lost as a 7 seed to #10 Davidson with Steph Curry. Since then, this is their tournament seed and how far they got.

2009: #4 Seed Sweet 16
2010: #8 Seed Round of 32
2011: #11 Seed Round of 32
2012: #7 Seed Round of 32
2013: #1 Seed Round of 32
2014: #8 Seed Round of 32
2015: #2 Seed Elite 8
2016: #11 Seed Sweet 16
2017: #1 Seed National Championship
2018: #4 Seed Sweet 16
2019: #1 Seed Elite 8

I see a team that gets accurately seeded. I see a team that has not lost a first round game in 11 straight tournaments, even though they have been a 7 seed once, an 8 seed twice and an 11 seed twice. Thats 5 50-50 first round games in a row that they have won.

And I'm not an idiot, obviously I see the 2013 2nd round upset as a 1 seed. That Wichita State team ended up making the Final 4 and had an undefeated regular season the next year. Still, Gonzaga shouldn't have lost that game. I 100% concede on that front.

My point is not to say that GU is the greatest tournament team, I'm just saying that this is not a team that has CONSISTENTLY UNDERACHIEVED like so many people say they have.

proud to say we are 2-0 against the Zags in March Madness...

2005 - #3 seed and we beat them as #6 seed

2019 - #1 seed and we beat them as the #3 seed

Few is a phenomenal coach, but I’m plenty happy with Beard!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Do you think Beard is a lifer? It would be cool if he was, the guy is for sure top shelf.

Do you think Beard is a lifer? It would be cool if he was, the guy is for sure top shelf.

Good question.......I’ll say this, knowing his deep connection to Texas Tech, being a Texan himself, and knowing the support he gets, it appears at this point he’d only entertain leaving for maybe Duke or UNC, and that’d be about it. He’s paid as a Top 5 coach, has a shit load of support, his recruiting is stellar, he’s proven he can make it to the NC where he is, and it’s “home” (his daughters are young and his ex lives close to Lubbock and being a present father is extremely important to him.). He’s not your typical “hired gun” coach.

don’t get me wrong, you never know what the future holds, it’s a business, and circumstances could change over time. But as of today, I’d say the chances he stays at Tech over the long haul are high.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

He is staying there.
He can go though what he did last year and maybe this year and the fanbase won't turn on him..

He can stay there and be the hero as long as he wants.
Not the case elsewhere.

There were rumors about some people at Texas trying to go after him.
But Tech has a huge buyout for him if he leaves for a Big 12 school and one in Texas.

If they wanted him it would have been after 2019

Yup, and I'm seeing a lot of brackets with Tech as the 4 seed in GU's bracket. I'm looking forward to some revenge.

Yup, and I'm seeing a lot of brackets with Tech as the 4 seed in GU's bracket. I'm looking forward to some revenge.

They are much closer to a 6/7.
Interested in how they play with Oklahoma State this weekend.

Hard for them to win more than 10 games in the Big 12 this year.

But by the end of March they could be a threat if some of the young players develop

He is staying there.
He can go though what he did last year and maybe this year and the fanbase won't turn on him..

Not the case elsewhere.

But Tech has a huge buyout for him if he leaves for a Big 12 school and one in Texas.

Tech was .500 in the league were they considered in or out of the tournament last year? After E8 and Final game, they had to take a step back.

8-2 now is that smoke/mirrors?

I just assume they are a tough team.

Tech was .500 in the league were they considered in or out of the tournament last year? After E8 and Final game, they had to take a step back.

8-2 now is that smoke/mirrors?

I just assume they are a tough team.

Young.
Their issue is the lack of scoring options.

As we have seen after their first couple Big 12 games.

Beard will have them as a threat most years
Even last year they could have beaten some teams

Young.
Their issue is the lack of scoring options.

As we have seen after their first couple Big 12 games.

Beard will have them as a threat most years
Even last year they could have beaten some teams

They smacked Louisville and went toe to toe with some others.

Tech feels like a team I'd rather not see in the post season most years.

There's something good going there for sure.

They smacked Louisville and went toe to toe with some others.

Tech feels like a team I'd rather not see in the post season most years.

There's something good going there for sure.

True.

Motivated Tech turns into a fight.

Just have to be prepared to get into the ring with them.

They are a team that could give Gonzaga issues.
Especially if Burnett develops.

He can be a lot like Vital. A guard who can play the 4

He is staying there.

Not the case elsewhere.

I don't think any fanbase would turn on him at this point.

Yeah they would...
If he came in to turn a program like Indiana around they would turn on him

That is one job he would never touch

Even last year's team was fairly good. They just weren't at Baylor or KU's level. But all four games were close. Who knows what they could've done in the tourney.

Indiana would kill for a team that's just relevant and consistently in the tourney. No way he'd be run off.

Even last year's team was fairly good. They just weren't at Baylor or KU's level. But all four games were close. Who knows what they could've done in the tourney.

Indiana would kill for a team that's just relevant and consistently in the tourney. No way he'd be run off.

We say that now until a coach goes there and doesn't live up to the "expectations"

Beard is staying at Tech.
I know this for sure because I am very familiar with people who know him personally.

Texas is the only job he would leave for but doesn't make financial sense.
Texas isn't paying 30 million dollars for a basketball coach plus what they owe him for his contract.

I would hate to see Chris Beard get run through the mud.

We say that now until a coach goes there and doesn't live up to the "expectations"

Beard is staying at Tech.
I know this for sure because I am very familiar with people who know him personally.

Texas is the only job he would leave for but doesn't make financial sense.
Texas isn't paying 30 million dollars for a basketball coach plus what they owe him for his contract.

I would hate to see Chris Beard get run through the mud.

Well, I know his family personally and he would NOT leave Tech for Texas. Keep dreaming....

your ego knows no bounds

Well, I know his family personally and he would NOT leave Tech for Texas. Keep dreaming....

your ego knows no bounds

Hasn't nothing to do with ego.
If is where Chris Beard is from.
Tom Penders gave him the chance when Beard was a student at UT.
He is a creation of the basketball program.

Actually gave you a chance with Greg Brown through his uncle.
His uncle played for UT and Penders during that time....

All of these former players at UT Chris Beard is close with

Have to ask- how does one become a Notre Dame football fan and Zags bball fan ;)
Wonderful question. Basically, you grow up Irish Catholic in the Bay Area and love sports.

The first college football game I ever went to was the 2003 Stanford v Notre Dame at Stanford. As an Irish kid who loved sports I fell in love with Notre Dame. I go to that game every other year when Stanford hosts.

Also back in the early 2000's, the WCC Tournament was hosted by 1 school. I believe in 2004 it was hosted at Santa Clara University (city where I grew up) and my family got tickets to the Championship game between St. Mary's and Gonzaga. The next year it was supposed to be hosted at USF (San Francisco) but their gym was too small so SCU hosted it again. Again I got to go to the Championship game and again it was St. Mary's vs Gonzaga. From there I became a Gonzaga fan.

W
Wonderful question. Basically, you grow up Irish Catholic in the Bay Area and love sports.

The first college football game I ever went to was the 2003 Stanford v Notre Dame at Stanford. As an Irish kid who loved sports I fell in love with Notre Dame. I go to that game every other year when Stanford hosts.

Also back in the early 2000's, the WCC Tournament was hosted by 1 school. I believe in 2004 it was hosted at Santa Clara University (city where I grew up) and my family got tickets to the Championship game between St. Mary's and Gonzaga. The next year it was supposed to be hosted at USF (San Francisco) but their gym was too small so SCU hosted it again. Again I got to go to the Championship game and again it was St. Mary's vs Gonzaga. From there I became a Gonzaga fan.
When did you become a fan of penis?

Excellent sir! My family is catholic , so a bunch like Notre Dame as their second favorite, unless they are playing Navy, gotta to root for the MD teams!

Excellent sir! My family is catholic , so a bunch like Notre Dame as their second favorite, unless they are playing Navy, gotta to root for the MD teams!
Ya, there just isn't a lot of college pride for local schools in the Bay Area for many valid reasons so you got to lock on to some other schools if you really like college ball.

Went back to Annapolis in 2012 to watch them play San Jose State. What an awesome campus.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Beard's style is universal built on tough and D. I think in today's landscape that approach is more effective and less likely to "bottom out" if tried at a new location. It feels like the up and coming young guys that rely on offensive concepts are more susceptible to suckage. I bring no evidence
LOL!

I don't think Cal is a better coach anymore. All time? Yeah Cal is probably third/fourth among active coaches.
That is ridiculous. Cal may not be the best coach, but he is a top coach.

My brother captained the Navy team a few years back. He wore #1, even though he was an inside linebacker.

21191972_10212798269504456_3725433672167060165_n.jpg

So, you think Timme and Holmgren in the same frontcourt next year? That would be filthy.

So, you think Timme and Holmgren in the same frontcourt next year? That would be filthy.
I’m not seeing mock drafts with Timme in them yet. So I think it is very possible that he returns. Probably needs another year to develop his 3 Ball.

And it seems like Chet is coming to Gonzaga. So with those two plus Hunter Sallis, Andrew Nembhard, and maybe Ayayi? Ya they could be really damn good next year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I thought UK was getting Sallis?
All recent Crystal Balls are going to Gonzaga.

Gonzaga doesn't have a prominent following on Scout and has no rivals page. The predictors always go with bigger names over Gonzaga before last minute because it creates content for paying members. Basically sites aren't incentivized to give early predictions to Gonzaga. But when they think they are close to committing, they switch.

All recent Crystal Balls are going to Gonzaga.

Gonzaga doesn't have a prominent following on Scout and has no rivals page. The predictors always go with bigger names over Gonzaga before last minute because it creates content for paying members. Basically sites aren't incentivized to give early predictions to Gonzaga. But when they think they are close to committing, they switch.

I've wondered before why Gonzaga's commitments aren't listed on Rivals. Kind of ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT