ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mark Few the best CBB coach in America?

All recent Crystal Balls are going to Gonzaga.

Gonzaga doesn't have a prominent following on Scout and has no rivals page. The predictors always go with bigger names over Gonzaga before last minute because it creates content for paying members. Basically sites aren't incentivized to give early predictions to Gonzaga. But when they think they are close to committing, they switch.

Nevermind...seems like someone just put one in. Could be correct

Beard's style is universal built on tough and D. I think in today's landscape that approach is more effective and less likely to "bottom out" if tried at a new location. It feels like the up and coming young guys that rely on offensive concepts are more susceptible to suckage. I bring no evidence
LOL!

Beard followed a HoF coach in Tubby Smith and lucked into Jarrett Culver being from Lubbock.

Years 2 and 3 won't be the norm. Great coach but will have ups and downs

That is ridiculous. Cal may not be the best coach, but he is a top coach.

So are all the guys I listed. I didn't say he sucks but he's not an elite elite coach at this time imo.

So are all the guys I listed. I didn't say he sucks but he's not an elite elite coach at this time imo.

Doesn't change...

What changes is the players

90% of coaching is to get the players to think correctly.
Therefore you could have the best basketball mind and be a sorry coach because the players aren't thinking like you....

Calipari's issues this year are young players who aren't doing the correct thing.
Usually Calipari has the NBA to get players to listen. What makes him an elite coach
He can pull out all the players he put in the NBA... The players are more inclined to listen to him if they want to play in the NBA

Doesn't change...

What changes is the players

90% of coaching is to get the players to think correctly.
Therefore you could have the best basketball mind and be a sorry coach because the players aren't thinking like you....

Calipari's issues this year are young players who aren't doing the correct thing.
Usually Calipari has the NBA to get players to listen. What makes him an elite coach
He can pull out all the players he put in the NBA... The players are more inclined to listen to him if they want to play in the NBA

"At this time"? As in this year?

Calipari's issues are far from just this year. It's been a slow spiral since 2015 when he shit down his leg against Wisconsin down the stretch. Basketball has been changing quite a bit and Cal still plays the way it was taught in 1990

Calipari's issues are far from just this year. It's been a slow spiral since 2015 when he shit down his leg against Wisconsin down the stretch. Basketball has been changing quite a bit and Cal still plays the way it was taught in 1990

We are in disagreement here ...

The issue for Calipari is time. He doesn't have enough time with players and minutes are a premium. So doesn't want to give minutes to players who will stick around 3-4 and take them away from one and dones.

Calipari might want to start trying to mix one and dones with 3-4 year guys because of the G League though

We are in disagreement here ...

The issue for Calipari is time. He doesn't have enough time with players and minutes are a premium. So doesn't want to give minutes to players who will stick around 3-4 and take them away from one and dones.

Calipari might want to start trying to mix one and dones with 3-4 year guys because of the G League though

Cal picks who he wants to recruit. Recruiting guys that only want to be here one year is on him. Recruiting guys who can't shoot so they have an offense that is awful to watch is on him. He's making 9 million dollars a year. Getting beat by KSU, Auburn etc without their best player in March is unacceptable.

I think Calipari rolls when he gets his hands on 1 or 2 big dogs. I think last time he had 2 was Fox/Bam and that team was REALLY good. It's easy to say oh if a coach gets top players it's easier and yeah that may be true but his track record with the top players is as good as anybody's. Not every coach can max out with the top players there is locker room problems and some guys hunt for their shot and may not play great D. Young players can also hit a wall. Or they've got one foot in the NBA by February. Just a lot of things can go wrong with top players, especially younger guys.

Calipari has always put a good defensive team out there and that takes collectivity to make that happen. Guys gotta buy into what he's putting out there. I think this year's team is just not the right mix and no top dog type of player though there is some talent there for sure. They always have great guard play not sure it's there this time.

It's a possible trend going wrong way but the bar was really high he really hit the ground at high level and stayed there for years with his approach.

Cal picks who he wants to recruit. Recruiting guys that only want to be here one year is on him. Recruiting guys who can't shoot so they have an offense that is awful to watch is on him. He's making 9 million dollars a year. Getting beat by KSU, Auburn etc without their best player in March is unacceptable.

You are blaming him as a coach...
You aren't going to find many one and dones whose game is refine. Those come along maybe every 10 years.
Most of them are players with upside.

You are complaining about how he builds teams. But on the otherhand Kentucky may not be that interested in giving him time to develop a program with players that stick around

You are blaming him as a coach...
You aren't going to find many one and dones whose game is refine. Those come along maybe every 10 years.
Most of them are players with upside.

You are complaining about how he builds teams. But on the otherhand Kentucky may not be that interested in giving him time to develop a program with players that stick around

Yes, I put the blame on the coaches more than the players. Especially when the coaches recruit the players and make close to 8 figures. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No very good coach but he is a natty short from being in consideration for that

Nah but he’s up there with the best.

In no order I think these are the top guys.

Self
K
Wright
Bennett
Roy
Few

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT