ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mark Few the best CBB coach in America?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Gonzaga comes out of a nothing Conference and has no real history pre Few. The Zags will play anyone anywhere. Is he the best?

All you that say no, why not and who is better?

Reactions: speedfrk
He dominates a "nothing conference". He has what, 1 final 4 in all the years of his great teams. Consistently leaves the tournament early.

I like him and he is a top coach, but not able to prove he is the best. If he did go to a P5 and perform similar it would make it more feasible.

He dominates a "nothing conference". He has what, 1 final 4 in all the years of his great teams. Consistently leaves the tournament early.

I like him and he is a top coach, but not able to prove he is the best. If he did go to a P5 and perform similar it would make it more feasible.
I agree with this. Go somewhere and be challenged all year in a P5 and do the same thing and then he gets in my top 5. Would love to have him at Duke when K leaves, but he has it real good in the NorthWest. Interesting to see if he ever leaves.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life

Really good coach but this!^^^

Self, Wright and Coach K. Few Is up there though.

Coach K is starting to slip, IMO. Obviously he is the best of all time though. I agree that Belien was up there

Reactions: hawkit3113
I'd take Wright, Self, Izzo and K before Few. Probably Roy. Maybe Beard.
I’m an admitted Izzo hater as a Michigan fan, but I don’t understand why he’s always mentioned with top coaches. His results over the last 10 years haven’t been exceptional. He doesn’t recruit at a duke or UK Level, but he’s consistently in the next tier. He’s certainly a very good coach, but I wouldn’t place him amongst the elite anymore

I’m an admitted Izzo hater as a Michigan fan, but I don’t understand why he’s always mentioned with top coaches. His results over the last 10 years haven’t been exceptional. He doesn’t recruit at a duke or UK Level, but he’s consistently in the next tier. He’s certainly a very good coach, but I wouldn’t place him amongst the elite anymore

He ruins talent with his defensive minded approach.

Imagine an Iowa fan saying that, lol. But seriously he does

I just know his teams always suck to play against.

Yup his system is far too rigid. I’m not quite sure why any talented offensive player would want to play for him

It constantly gets them to a point but more fluid offensive teams tend to destroy them in the later rounds.

MSU gets bottled up and can't score

I just know his teams always suck to play against.
He’s an old school coach that heavily focuses on instilling toughness in his teams. so yeah, they’re a bitch to play against from that standpoint. I don’t think he develops players well for the modern NBA though and feel like the game is passing him by a bit.

Personally, I think they're all overrated. Wright loses in the 2nd round every other year. K is slipping. Roy's over the hill. Izzo's up and down. Self has a crappy record in the Elite 8. Beard's a noob. But somebody has to make the list, right?😁

Seriously, though, I think you have to have Izzo pretty high. What is it, 7 final fours?

If you're just comparing results to results, he doesn't have the consistency of some other programs, but I think he usually has much less talent than the likes of Duke, UNC and Kentucky.

Personally, I think they're all overrated. Wright loses in the 2nd round every other year. K is slipping. Roy's over the hill. Izzo's up and down. Self has a crappy record in the Elite 8. Beard's a noob. But somebody has to make the list, right?😁

Seriously, though, I think you have to have Izzo pretty high. What is it, 7 final fours?

If you're just comparing results to results, he doesn't have the consistency of some other programs, but I think he usually has much less talent than the likes of Duke, UNC and Kentucky.
For these reasons is why I think Bill Self is under valued. He has dominated Roy, K and Cal head to head. Don’t get me wrong he has had good talent but hasn’t had what duke and unc have.

His regular season success crushes everyone and I’m not just talking about the big 12. He schedules the toughest schedule every year and owns it.

Everyone likes to talk about the elite 8 stuff. The ncaa tourney is a crapshoot and it is very hard to win. Everyone in the elite 8 is a really good team.

He is still in meat of his career with a lot of basketball to be played. The thing he has going for him is he is tough minded and defensive minded like Izzo but has adapted to the 4 guard lineup and the 3 ball.

He’s easily the best bench coach, IMO. Yes I know he only has 3 FF’s and one title (which isn’t bad). Lot of time left for him but to discount him because of a random one and done tourney is dumb.

If they played the top 32 teams in a best of 3 tourney he would have a lot more titles. He needs to find a way to have better success in March but remind of when the last time he actually choked in the tourney. 2011. It’s been since 2011.

Ok, just because it gets really annoying hearing it all the time. Someone explain to me how Gonzaga CONSISTENTLY underperforms in the tournament.

In 2008 Gonzaga lost as a 7 seed to #10 Davidson with Steph Curry. Since then, this is their tournament seed and how far they got.

2009: #4 Seed Sweet 16
2010: #8 Seed Round of 32
2011: #11 Seed Round of 32
2012: #7 Seed Round of 32
2013: #1 Seed Round of 32
2014: #8 Seed Round of 32
2015: #2 Seed Elite 8
2016: #11 Seed Sweet 16
2017: #1 Seed National Championship
2018: #4 Seed Sweet 16
2019: #1 Seed Elite 8

I see a team that gets accurately seeded. I see a team that has not lost a first round game in 11 straight tournaments, even though they have been a 7 seed once, an 8 seed twice and an 11 seed twice. Thats 5 50-50 first round games in a row that they have won.

And I'm not an idiot, obviously I see the 2013 2nd round upset as a 1 seed. That Wichita State team ended up making the Final 4 and had an undefeated regular season the next year. Still, Gonzaga shouldn't have lost that game. I 100% concede on that front.

My point is not to say that GU is the greatest tournament team, I'm just saying that this is not a team that has CONSISTENTLY UNDERACHIEVED like so many people say they have.

I'd take Wright, Self, Izzo and K before Few. Probably Roy. Maybe Beard.
All great coaches, but none has had to bring a program to elite status without powerful conference advantages.

Ok, just because it gets really annoying hearing it all the time. Someone explain to me how Gonzaga CONSISTENTLY underperforms in the tournament...

I will not refute your post. Its accurate. However, compare all the same info to their ranking in polls. They are always highly rated, typically top 10 and almost never out of the top 25. Yet that doesn't reflect very well in the tournament.

I will not refute your post. Its accurate. However, compare all the same info to their ranking in polls. They are always highly rated, typically top 10 and almost never out of the top 25. Yet that doesn't reflect very well in the tournament.
Ya that's totally fair. That definitely happens sometime, especially when they roll out wins in Conference while other teams play though schedules. But if you are getting to the round of 32 in 11 straight tournaments, doesn't that mean that you should pretty much always be ranked? And if you make it to 5 straight Sweet 16's including 2 Elite 8s and one Championship game, shouldn't you be consistently ranked in the top 10?

Perhaps. If Cal left UK I wouldn't mind him taking over. I would certainly say he is a better pure coach(x's and o's). I just think its hard to label him the best over several other mentioned.

Perhaps. If Cal left UK I wouldn't mind him taking over. I would certainly say he is a better pure coach(x's and o's). I just think its hard to label him the best over several other mentioned.
Ya I'm not going around saying he's the best coach in CBB. I think that's a little overkill. Fans of other teams dislike Gonzaga enough without threads like this.

He is the best coach for Gonzaga. That's all I know and all I care about.

Reactions: I am stupid
Going off credentials, it's K obviously.

If Turge was fired today (only be so lucky), I would want Wright or Self as my head coach, with Few & Beard right behind them-factoring in age as well...

Ya I'm not going around saying he's the best coach in CBB. I think that's a little overkill. Fans of other teams dislike Gonzaga enough without threads like this.

He is the best coach for Gonzaga. That's all I know and all I care about.
Why do fans dislike Few? He has /is doing a remarkable job when legends are getting pummeled and wanting to quit the season.

Reactions: toonces11
Going off credentials, it's K obviously.

If Turge was fired today (only be so lucky), I would want Wright or Self as my head coach, with Few & Beard right behind them-factoring in age as well...

k is there on credentials only. He’s basically calipari at this point. He does more recruiting/ duffle bag giving than anything. He surely ain’t doing much coaching the last few years

Why do fans dislike Few? He has /is doing a remarkable job when legends are getting pummeled and wanting to quit the season.

I wouldn't say people dislike Few-more that some question if he would have this success in a Power Five Conference...

I wouldn't say people dislike Few-more that some question if he would have this success in a Power Five Conference...
People think being in a peanut conference is an advantage over a P-5 when the Zags pretty much take on anyone?

People think being in a peanut conference is an advantage over a P-5 when the Zags pretty much take on anyone?

I meant some people think Few wouldn't have this success in a P-5 conference like the WCC...

It's definitely an advantage in terms of seeding. It guarantees that they always have one of the best records and a high seed as long as they fare okay in the non-con. Vs teams that don't care about those games nearly as much as they do. They also have the advantage of catching some of the most talented/athletic teams before they've been able to develop.

I agree with this. Go somewhere and be challenged all year in a P5 and do the same thing and then he gets in my top 5. Would love to have him at Duke when K leaves, but he has it real good in the NorthWest. Interesting to see if he ever leaves.
Just so we are clear-----He's not in your Top 5-----But you would love to have him at Duke?

Huh?

Because they get high seeds without playing in a P5 conference. And they haven't won a Championship yet so people don't know if the high seeds are very warranted.
Early in his tenure---solid argument.

Lat 5 seasons? Shitty argument.

Few has evolved. He recruits better. Getting better players, and has opened his system up.

Lat 5 seasons show this..

2015: Elite 8-----2 seed lost to Duke(1)
2016: SW 16---- 11 seed lost to Syracuse(10)
2017: Runner-Up--1 seed, lost to UNC(1)
2018: SW 16-----4 seed, lost to FSU(9)
2019: Elite 8--- 1 seed, lost to TTU(3).

Past 5 seasons, his teams have lived up their seeding...

ADVERTISEMENT