ADVERTISEMENT

If Anyone but Trump Were Elected POTUS

You don't get to define what it means for everyone else, and for the umpteenth time, PROTEST IS INHERENTLY ABRASIVE.

Kaepernick has raised millions of dollars for charities through his principled actions.
I didn't define it for others. Its a standard of manners and respect for as long as Ive known anyone to be alive for. Protestors don't get to decide what everyone else gets to think. I think the overwhelming majority thinks protesting the anthem and flag is in very poor taste. I personally feel this way as well. Kaepernick did apparently raise money for charities through his misguided protest---but also alienated the very people that could have made his contributions ten fold if he would have used some common sense on when and when not to protest. I wonder what he could have done had he chosen a better avenue. What he did was cause a huge distraction on the job---he let down the owners who employed him, let down teammates for making himself an issue instead of winning on the field, and he pissed off a lot of people that supported the very sport he was able to make a huge paycheck from. Actions have consequences as he has learned.

I didn't define it for others. Its a standard of manners and respect for as long as Ive known anyone to be alive for. Protestors don't get to decide what everyone else gets to think. I think the overwhelming majority thinks protesting the anthem and flag is in very poor taste. I personally feel this way as well. Kaepernick did apparently raise money for charities through his misguided protest---but also alienated the very people that could have made his contributions ten fold if he would have used some common sense on when and when not to protest. I wonder what he could have done had he chosen a better avenue. What he did was cause a huge distraction on the job---he let down the owners who employed him, let down teammates for making himself an issue instead of winning on the field, and he pissed off a lot of people that supported the very sport he was able to make a huge paycheck from. Actions have consequences as he has learned.
You define it when you imply that it is sacred and its tradition should be honored.

Protesters aren't determining what you think; they're predicting the best way to get your attention and doing it.

His protest was not misguided. It has been very successful. If you would spitefully withhold contributions b/c of kneeling, your priorities suck b/c you put the flag itself -- a piece of cloth -- ahead of the promises it is supposed to represent.

[QUOTE="Dattier, post: 25214655, member: 3262"]You define it when you imply that it is sacred and its tradition should be honored.

Protesters aren't determining what you think; they're predicting the best way to get your attention and doing it.

His protest was not misguided. It has been very successful. If you would spitefully withhold contributions b/c of kneeling, your priorities suck b/c you put the flag itself -- a piece of cloth -- ahead of the promises it is supposed to represent.[/QUOTE]

It IS a time honored tradition that is sacred to nearly all americans...Is it not? If it isn't, what is? Its not wrong to define something that all ready has a definition. The way he decided to protest was misguided and I think the american public opinion decided that. And I wont be contributing to a Kaep led cause b/c i don't agree with the way he went about business. The same way you wouldn't donate to a cause donald trump came up with. My priorities are mine and Kaeps list of priorities will never be more important than the ones I have. The flag isn't the problem, nor are the things it represents---its the people using it negatively are the problem. I don't respect his method of protesting and think he chose a silly time to do it. Nearly all of america thought it was an ill advised time to protest. He put his agenda ahead of his owner, his coaches, and his teammates. Not something I can find myself respecting.

You define it when you imply that it is sacred and its tradition should be honored.

His protest was not misguided. It has been very successful. If you would spitefully withhold contributions b/c of kneeling, your priorities suck b/c you put the flag itself -- a piece of cloth -- ahead of the promises it is supposed to represent.

[QUOTE="Dattier, post: 25214655, member: 3262"]You define it when you imply that it is sacred and its tradition should be honored.

k4jbt5.jpg

Not sure if you all remember this picture from a few years ago, but wondered if you two view it differently or not?

Last edited:
It IS a time honored tradition that is sacred to nearly all americans...Is it not? If it isn't, what is? Its not wrong to define something that all ready has a definition. The way he decided to protest was misguided and I think the american public opinion decided that. And I wont be contributing to a Kaep led cause b/c i don't agree with the way he went about business. The same way you wouldn't donate to a cause donald trump came up with. My priorities are mine and Kaeps list of priorities will never be more important than the ones I have. The flag isn't the problem, nor are the things it represents---its the people using it negatively are the problem. I don't respect his method of protesting and think he chose a silly time to do it. Nearly all of america thought it was an ill advised time to protest. He put his agenda ahead of his owner, his coaches, and his teammates. Not something I can find myself respecting.
You didn't capitalize "America" properly! Oh, noes! :eek:

Yes, it's a time-honored tradition, but tradition is never self-justifying.

If you recognize the worthiness of his cause and would otherwise donate but won't b/c he kneeled, your values are worthless and a disgrace to what America is supposed to be. But that's not you, b/c you never acknowledged any worthiness in his causes anyway.

k4jbt5.jpg

Not sure if you all remember this picture from a few years ago, but wondered if you two view it differently or not?
Not my style, but I get it.

People flippin' out and jowl-wagging over kneeling for two minutes but not about racial inequity and the need for policing reform are unreachable and unworthy of respect. She chooses to troll them. I'd rather learn the hard way just how unreachable some of them are, obviously.

You didn't capitalize "America" properly! Oh, noes! :eek:

Yes, it's a time-honored tradition, but tradition is never self-justifying.

If you recognize the worthiness of his cause and would otherwise donate but won't b/c he kneeled, your values are worthless and a disgrace to what America is supposed to be. But that's not you, b/c you never acknowledged any worthiness in his causes anyway.
Curious choice of words (self justifying). It basically describes Kaeps decision to forgo the time honored tradition (a simple observance of peace and respect).If anything, isn't it you that is tending to justify the behavior and deny any negative feedback associated with the behavior?

Kaep isn't the cause b/c he chose to put it under the spotlight. The cause is its own entity. The cause isn't choosing to pick an absurd time to be cast into the media. The cause is worthy, the problem is the person who choose to associate it with the anthem/flag. Call me crazy, but doing something distasteful in the name of a cause isn't the way to get people to recognize it.

Not my style, but I get it.

People flippin' out and jowl-wagging over kneeling for two minutes but not about racial inequity and the need for policing reform are unreachable and unworthy of respect. She chooses to troll them. I'd rather learn the hard way just how unreachable some of them are, obviously.
Well, the gal aboves' actions are indefensible. There isn't a positive benefit or message associated with that type of action. Its just being a shock factor dolt

Curious choice of words (self justifying). It basically describes Kaeps decision to forgo the time honored tradition (a simple observance of peace and respect).If anything, isn't it you that is tending to justify the behavior and deny any negative feedback associated with the behavior?

Kaep isn't the cause b/c he chose to put it under the spotlight. The cause is its own entity. The cause isn't choosing to pick an absurd time to be cast into the media. The cause is worthy, the problem is the person who choose to associate it with the anthem/flag. Call me crazy, but doing something distasteful in the name of a cause isn't the way to get people to recognize it.
It's the perfect choice of words. You don't justify tradition by saying "It's tradition." Human sacrifices and raping your own wife were "traditions" once.

Why does anyone owe the National Anthem and the flag respect if they think what they represent are lies? And don't tell me "bombs bursting in air" or "Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave" from the third verse is about peace.

You're perfectly entitled to have your negative opinion, if you need me to validate you so badly, and if you share it, I'm going to tell you why I think your opinion is crap.

You might be crazy, as many times as you keep trying the same tone deaf line and getting it slammed in your face by logic and fact: PROTEST ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE COMFORTABLE. It's the last resort when people -- including you -- never listen in the first place. You've been fighting against any consideration of every possible incident of racial inequity and police brutality since way before Kaepernick's principled choice to kneel.

Well, the gal aboves' actions are indefensible. There isn't a positive benefit or message associated with that type of action. Its just being a shock factor dolt
It's not trying to be positive. She's given up on getting through to some.

It's the perfect choice of words. You don't justify tradition by saying "It's tradition." Human sacrifices and raping your own wife were "traditions" once.

Why does anyone owe the National Anthem and the flag respect if they think what they represent are lies? And don't tell me "bombs bursting in air" or "Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave" from the third verse is about peace.

You're perfectly entitled to have your negative opinion, if you need me to validate you so badly, and if you share it, I'm going to tell you why I think your opinion is crap.

You might be crazy, as many times as you keep trying the same tone deaf line and getting it slammed in your face by logic and fact: PROTEST ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE COMFORTABLE. It's the last resort when people -- including you -- never listen in the first place. You've been fighting against any consideration of every possible incident of racial inequity and police brutality since way before Kaepernick's principled choice to kneel.

It's not trying to be positive. She's given up on getting through to some.
The very definition of the term you used undermines what you are saying. My opinion isn't negative b/c you think CK's actions are just. The guy gave up a lot to do what he did, but, imo, it was more self martyrdom than effective protest. In my experience its most effective if you appeal to peoples compassion and humanity instead of offending them. I still believe CK could have made noise in a manner that would be supported by far more people had he taken a different avenue. Im well aware protest isn't always comfortable---but it doesn't mean it cant be effective without some common sense. If you view his actions as being successful...then thats awfully optimistic of you. You don't get to command peoples attention on every single issue---valid and not so much. CK chose a good cause to get behind and chose poorly on the method in which he chose to send his message. So ineffective it made him a cancer to be employed. I have no qualms about him not getting job offers bc he undermined the general rule of being on a team---dont make yourself a distraction to the single common goal.

You have the right to think his actions are rooted in good....and I don't think any less of you. I disagree about the method. If you cant have pride in your country and the principles it stands on---why be here? Why live under the rights and liberties of this country if you think its so terrible.

And the sound part---the only purpose of her post was to be offensive-----and Im sure she reaped the benefits of her post. I have no idea who she is, but Im guessing its unemployed with a very small circle of friends.

The very definition of the term you used undermines what you are saying. My opinion isn't negative b/c you think CK's actions are just. The guy gave up a lot to do what he did, but, imo, it was more self martyrdom than effective protest. In my experience its most effective if you appeal to peoples compassion and humanity instead of offending them. I still believe CK could have made noise in a manner that would be supported by far more people had he taken a different avenue. Im well aware protest isn't always comfortable---but it doesn't mean it cant be effective without some common sense. If you view his actions as being successful...then thats awfully optimistic of you. You don't get to command peoples attention on every single issue---valid and not so much. CK chose a good cause to get behind and chose poorly on the method in which he chose to send his message. So ineffective it made him a cancer to be employed. I have no qualms about him not getting job offers bc he undermined the general rule of being on a team---dont make yourself a distraction to the single common goal.

You have the right to think his actions are rooted in good....and I don't think any less of you. I disagree about the method. If you cant have pride in your country and the principles it stands on---why be here? Why live under the rights and liberties of this country if you think its so terrible.

And the sound part---the only purpose of her post was to be offensive-----and Im sure she reaped the benefits of her post. I have no idea who she is, but Im guessing its unemployed with a very small circle of friends.
Saying "it's tradition" to defend why we do something is a logical fallacy. It's circular reason. I don't know how to communicate this to you more clearly.

Love it or leave it? That's a logic fallacy, too: proposing an either/or solution when clearly staying and fighting to improve your country is what has made us as great as we've ever been.

Her middle finger tells you all you need to know about what she thinks of you or cares what you think, and that was her only point, likely after years of the stonewalling y'all are so fond of. People are suffering and begging for help and dying -- and have been for years -- and you're ignoring the problem, but somebody kneeling or using the flag like toilet paper is what's really offensive.Eyeroll

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
The biggest difference would probably be not being in a trade war with China.

Saying "it's tradition" to defend why we do something is a logical fallacy. It's circular reason. I don't know how to communicate this to you more clearly.

Love it or leave it? That's a logic fallacy, too: proposing an either/or solution when clearly staying and fighting to improve your country is what has made us as great as we've ever been.

Her middle finger tells you all you need to know about what she thinks of you or cares what you think, and that was her only point, likely after years of the stonewalling y'all are so fond of. People are suffering and begging for help and dying -- and have been for years -- and you're ignoring the problem, but somebody kneeling or using the flag like toilet paper is what's really offensive.Eyeroll
It's damn near a no brainer to stand at attention for no other reason than being well mannered.

Her middle finger does tell me what she thinks---it also further marginalizes herself. If its a sign she is fed up with not receiving help and now has the attitude she will do it herself.....we all win, bc its what she should have been doing in the first place.

Reactions: jace46555
Do you see the shit we have to deal with?

I'ld like for Dat to really explain what is needed to fix the black infrastructure and culture. There's large communities where it's all broken. Education, pregnant teenagers, children without fathers, gang / crime mentalities and the list could go on. Things that money can't fix...

Would eliminate a lot of the suffering, begging and deaths....

I'ld like for Dat to really explain what is needed to fix the black infrastructure and culture. There's large communities where it's all broken. Education, pregnant teenagers, children without fathers, gang / crime mentalities and the list could go on. Things that money can't fix...

If you bring anything up involving simple self help steps that include discipline and personal accountability.....you get slapped with the race card/white privilege/systemic racism. Its literally the cheapest, simplest, most common sense first step---yet its met with extreme opposition whenever its brought up.

Lmao...the only thing his protest has done is cost himself and a few others a job. So, if that's your definition of successful.. then I agree.

Literally nothing at all has changed here besides his placement in the unemployment line.

I don't have all the answers and I'm not looking to play the white savior.

I feel like we never really get past the point of convincing people we need to do anything at all. We'll never get to the point of fixing it if we can't even start. We're still fighting to acknowledge causes extend beyond those communities. Insisting it's nothing more than a failing of personal responsibility further obstructs and delays progress.

Buffalo, Richmond (Cal), Fayetteville (NC), and Las Vegas are good recent models for police reform. Salt Lake City is doing amazing things to address homelessness. Restorative justice models are helping reduce school suspensions and reduce crime in communities.

It's damn near a no brainer to stand at attention for no other reason than being well mannered.
Not if you don't see that reciprocated.

Her middle finger does tell me what she thinks---it also further marginalizes herself.
If being polite has never moved the needle to make her any less marginalized and she's as marginalized as possible, what's the difference? "The drowning man is not troubled by rain."

its what she should have been doing in the first place.
Pretty disgusting assumption behind that, and absolute tone deafness to how people don't ask for help until they've exhausted all other options, including everything they can do for themselves.

Reactions: Jaycg15
If you bring anything up involving simple self help steps that include discipline and personal accountability.....you get slapped with the race card/white privilege/systemic racism. Its literally the cheapest, simplest, most common sense first step---yet its met with extreme opposition whenever its brought up.
Wrong. It is rightly slammed when proposed as the only step. When someone is addressing inequity and you interrupt to shout, "Personal responsibility!" you're not accurately addressing whether it is missing or what other steps are needed. Too often it's an ironic way for the speaker to avoid their own personal responsibility to care about anything other than themselves.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Wrong. It is rightly slammed when proposed as the only step. When someone is addressing inequity and you interrupt to shout, "Personal responsibility!" you're not accurately addressing whether it is missing or what other steps are needed. Too often it's an ironic way for the speaker to avoid their own personal responsibility to care about anything other than themselves.
Its also the easiest and most effective way to help yourself and your situation. People are more willing to help when they see personal effort being made. This is true for any race and nearly every situation. Trying to focus on what others need to be doing before what the actual individual needs to be doing doesn't make much sense. Again, this thought process is colorblind.

Which is why it is particularly insulting and disrespectful to assume that you have to tell anyone that.

If that shuts out awareness that people's experiences are not colorblind, it's stupid.
Is it as insulting as saying black people have a hard time providing ID to vote?

Anyone trying to tackle the problem we've been talking should always start with the easiest simple ways you can literally control yourself and then prioritize from there.

@Dattier , curious about your thoughts, and others. Actual effort, or typical pandering?
Couldn't tell you. It's encouraging, and if something helps people, I don't really care if it is pandering.

A handful of black pastors who praise our President who were hand-picked for that very thing is cause for skepticism, but I trust they're speaking their truth.

Is it as insulting as saying black people have a hard time providing ID to vote?
That phrasing implies they're incapable of it, which would be insulting, but it's not what I've said.

Anyone trying to tackle the problem we've been talking should always start with the easiest simple ways you can literally control yourself and then prioritize from there.
They have.

That phrasing implies they're incapable of it, which would be insulting, but it's not what I've said.

They have.
I think you're my new favorite poster. Killing it out here.

I put the respect for the flag and those that died for our country above a protester that is making millions of dollars because of those that fought and died for that flag. The flag had nothing to do with his concern for equal treatment. If you don't like this country there are plenty of countries you can go and live in. However I would not cross their borders illegally or you will end up with a long sentence in prison.

The black community needs positive male role models. We have an issue when 54% of African-American children are raised in single-parent homes. It's not to say that black women are incompetent or incapable. But bearing the load of a 40 hour work week, plus meals, plus dishes/laundry, plus helping out with homework, plus taking the kids to extracurricular activities. Not sure how anyone could be fully invested in their kids if they're constantly taking care of the physical needs.. When there's a lack of emotional investment, and certainly single parent homes are at a much higher risk, then kids are much more likely to get involved in risky behavior...

The statistics for kids living without a father is overwhelming. They comprise 63% of youth suicides, 90% of runaways, 85% of behavioral disorders, 70% of juveniles in detention rates, 71% of high school dropouts, 75% of substance abusers, and 71% of pregnant teens ... all this coming from fatherless children.

If the biological father is not taking an active role in life of his child, then there needs to be some sort of alternative male role model. The most likely choice would be the stepfather. But it could also be another relative, a neighbor, a teacher, or a coach. Boys are wrecking machines. These kids need to learn how to be men, how to treat women, how to be disciplined.

Checkout the graphs below.. It's almost like there's a negative correlation between single parent homes and educational achievement. Shocking, right?

ST_2016.06.27_race-inequality-ch1-09.png

figure-coi-2.png

Average SAT Scores (Via College Board):
Asian: 1181
White: 1118
Hispanic: 990
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 986
Native American: 963
African-American: 941

The black community needs positive male role models. We have an issue when 54% of African-American children are raised in single-parent homes. It's not to say that black women are incompetent or incapable. But bearing the load of a 40 hour work week, plus meals, plus dishes/laundry, plus helping out with homework, plus taking the kids to extracurricular activities. Not sure how anyone could be fully invested in their kids if they're constantly taking care of the physical needs.. When there's a lack of emotional investment, and certainly single parent homes are at a much higher risk, then kids are much more likely to get involved in risky behavior...

The statistics for kids living without a father is overwhelming. They comprise 63% of youth suicides, 90% of runaways, 85% of behavioral disorders, 70% of juveniles in detention rates, 71% of high school dropouts, 75% of substance abusers, and 71% of pregnant teens ... all this coming from fatherless children.

If the biological father is not taking an active role in life of his child, then there needs to be some sort of alternative male role model. The most likely choice would be the stepfather. But it could also be another relative, a neighbor, a teacher, or a coach. Boys are wrecking machines. These kids need to learn how to be men, how to treat women, how to be disciplined.

Checkout the graphs below.. It's almost like there's a negative correlation between single parent homes and educational achievement. Shocking, right?

ST_2016.06.27_race-inequality-ch1-09.png

figure-coi-2.png

Average SAT Scores (Via College Board):
Asian: 1181
White: 1118
Hispanic: 990
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 986
Native American: 963
African-American: 941
I think its huge. But I don't know how to convince someone to be a good dad---It should be a basic instinct and crushing if you're not. I couldn't even offer an opinion on a dad that didn't pull out all the stops to take care of his kids.

Reactions: dukedevilz

They have.

Let the record show that you explicitly stated that voter ID laws are an example of systemic racism... Also, I'm still laughing that you posted 700,000 NC Residents don't have ID. Yep, 10% of adults in the state of NC don't have government ID. Such a racist state!

BUT... there are something like 700K NC residents w/o ID, a disproportionate number of whom are people of color. Even if people had completely benign reasons for supporting a law that sounds really logical in one light, that it would unduly harm people of color makes it an example of systemic racism.

I don't have all the answers and I'm not looking to play the white savior.

I feel like we never really get past the point of convincing people we need to do anything at all. We'll never get to the point of fixing it if we can't even start. We're still fighting to acknowledge causes extend beyond those communities. Insisting it's nothing more than a failing of personal responsibility further obstructs and delays progress.

Buffalo, Richmond (Cal), Fayetteville (NC), and Las Vegas are good recent models for police reform. Salt Lake City is doing amazing things to address homelessness. Restorative justice models are helping reduce school suspensions and reduce crime in communities.

Its not just police reform. There's much work to be done there. But not to acknowledge personal responsibility is failing to begin. Somehow that cycle has to be fixed.

I put the respect for the flag and those that died for our country above a protester that is making millions of dollars because of those that fought and died for that flag. The flag had nothing to do with his concern for equal treatment. If you don't like this country there are plenty of countries you can go and live in. However I would not cross their borders illegally or you will end up with a long sentence in prison.
People who died for the ideas represented by the flag knew those ideas were more important than mere cloth. Those ideas include freedom and justice, and if our country isn't living up to that, why should we be politically correct and honor the flag?
Next time you're upset, you're free to run away from your problems. Some prefer to stay and fight for the country they love to be the country it claims to be.

Let the record show that you explicitly stated that voter ID laws are an example of systemic racism... Also, I'm still laughing that you posted 700,000 NC Residents don't have ID. Yep, 10% of adults in the state of NC don't have government ID. Such a racist state!
I was corrected on that number and acknowledged it. It's 200K.
What was my rationale for saying why it would be systemic racism?

ADVERTISEMENT