ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE Missed Opportunities

Tampa_cat54

Apr 22, 2011
Let's talk about some HUGE missed opportunities that cost a team a title, excluding injuries.

Like I didn't realize until today that Kansas went 12 of 30 from the Free Throw Line in the 2003 National Championship against Melo & Syracuse. KU lost by 3.

12-30?!

Any other crazy things like that come to mind?

Reactions: Jhawks and cooljeff
Jay Williams was 6-19 and seemed worse in the game against Indiana in 2002. It wasn't for the championship, but I think that was Duke's championship to lose. Which they did.

But the wasted opportunity wasn't just his bad shooting game overall, but the missed front end that would have tied the game with the opportunity to take a one point lead had he made both.

Reactions: tw3301
Jay Williams was 6-19 and seemed worse in the game against Indiana in 2002. It wasn't for the championship, but I think that was Duke's championship to lose. Which they did.

But the wasted opportunity wasn't just his bad shooting game overall, but the missed front end that would have tied the game with the opportunity to take a one point lead had he made both.

Was that Williams last game at Duke?

Was that Williams last game at Duke?

Yes, that was Jay's last game. But I would note that Duke was down by 4 points, Williams made a three-pointer and was fouled, which would have tied it. Boozer got the rebound, though, and 700% chance he was fouled.

Other missed opportunities...

Duke not giving the ball to Elton Brand in the final 10 minutes of the 99 Title game.

Duke milking the clock in 04 to UConn, blowing an 8-point lead with 3+ minutes left. All 3 Duke bigs fouled out, so that didn't help.

JJ Redick shooting a combined 13 for 60 in his 4 tournament losses (21.7%)

Wendell Carter air-balling a 5 foot hook shot against KU in the Elite 8 with 50 seconds left. That shot would have put Duke up by 5 points... Also, Grayson's last second shot that went in-and-out twice.

Let's talk about some HUGE missed opportunities that cost a team a title, excluding injuries.

Like I didn't realize until today that Kansas went 12 of 30 from the Free Throw Line in the 2003 National Championship against Melo & Syracuse. KU lost by 3.

12-30?!

Any other crazy things like that come to mind?

Yeah, that sucked. Especially after a storybook run to get there. Conquered Duke, got revenge on Arizona for an embarrassing loss in Allen Fieldhouse, and drilled Dwayne Wade's Marquette by 30.

I think Collison missed about half of those. Probably on the take.

2017 UNC/UK E8

Mychal Mulder, who was recruited to UK as a high percentage spot up shooter, 0/5 in his last game in a UK uniform.

Easy to see that team making a title run if they got past that game.

Yes, that was Jay's last game. But I would note that Duke was down by 4 points, Williams made a three-pointer and was fouled, which would have tied it. Boozer got the rebound, though, and 700% chance he was fouled.

Duke not giving the ball to Elton Brand in the final 10 minutes of the 99 Title game.

Duke milking the clock in 04 to UConn, blowing an 8-point lead with 3+ minutes left. All 3 Duke bigs fouled out, so that didn't help.

Wendell Carter air-balling a 5 foot hook shot against KU in the Elite 8 with 50 seconds left. That shot would have put Duke up by 5 points... Also, Grayson's last second shot that went in-and-out twice.
You are right. For some reason I was remembering it wrong.

Derrick Coleman missing his FT's cost Cuse a championship. Fvck Keith Smart

Oh there's more Duke failures and unfortunate circumstances:

1994: not closing out on Scotty Thurman with the title game tied 70-70 with a minute to go

2011: blowing a double digit lead to Arizona in the 2nd half

2013: ending up in Louisville's region and Kevin Ware's gruesome injury changing the complete complexion of the game

K's due for some good tournament luck to close out his storied career in my opinion as he should have 4-5 more Final 4s and 2-3 more Titles.

He's the GOAT but he's probably been more unlucky than not, hard to even fathom.

2017 UNC/UK E8

Mychal Mulder, who was recruited to UK as a high percentage spot up shooter, 0/5 in his last game in a UK uniform.

Easy to see that team making a title run if they got past that game.

Oooof I remember that. That was rough. Kentucky very easily could have won that title. Mulder was a huge disappointment.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Choking vs Cuse in the Elite 8 in 2016. Does Malachi Richardson even play basketball anymore?

Not saying we win it all but we did already have wins over UNC and Villanova that year. Would also have been nice to have the Final Four monkey off our backs.

Choking vs Cuse in the Elite 8 in 2016. Does Malachi Richardson even play basketball even more?

Not saying we win it all but we did already have wins over UNC and Villanova that year. Would also have been nice to have the Final Four monkey off our backs.

Oklahoma had beaten Villanova by 30 points early in the year.

There's no telling what happens when you get in a dome that big. It suits Villanova for some reason. It didn't suit OU and their plethora of shooters.

Oklahoma had beaten Villanova by 30 points early in the year.

There's no telling what happens when you get in a dome that big. It suits Villanova for some reason. It didn't suit OU and their plethora of shooters.

Of course. That loss still stings worse than UMBC. I can deal with embarrassing but we weren’t going anywhere last year without Hunter anyways. The 2016 team was actually fully healthy and just choked a double digit lead in the 2nd half to a ****ing 10 seed.

And missing pretty much all of them.

That was the 2nd best team in NCAA history to never win a title.

The best? 2015, without a doubt.
Are you talking about just in UK's history?

I think its pretty undisputed that teams like 1975 Indiana, 1984 UNC, 1991 UNLV, 1999 Duke and 2002 Duke were the best NCAA teams to never win a title.

UK 2015 would make my top 10 but UK 2010 wouldn't sniff it since KU was the favorite coming in that year and the numbers liked Duke just as much as KU and UK.

And missing pretty much all of them.

That was the 2nd best team in NCAA history to never win a title.

The best? 2015, without a doubt.
Which brings me to the next one

2015: up six and stall ball with shot
Clock violations

+

Missed shot clock violation against Wiscy (higgins)

Reactions: Random UK Fan

I think its pretty undisputed that teams like 1975 Indiana, 1984 UNC, 1991 UNLV, 1999 Duke and 2002 Duke were the best NCAA teams to never win a title.

UK 2015 would make my top 10 but UK 2010 wouldn't sniff it since KU was the favorite coming in that year and the numbers liked Duke just as much as KU and UK.

97 KU has to be on that list.

97 UK vs AZ

No Anderson.... Epps, clanging a dunk attempt off the rim, layup would have given us the lead, Nazr missing his ft's. Either of those 3 would have given us a championship..

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I guess I should say 2010 is the 2nd most TALENTED team IMO to never win a title. 5 first round draft picks and 8 players overall drafted on that team. But you're right, talent does always mean "best", so I should have said talented.

That being said, the 2015 team is the flat out BEST team to never win a championship IMO. Saying that they would just make the top 10 is a little crazy.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I guess I should say 2010 is the 2nd most TALENTED team IMO to never win a title. 5 first round draft picks and 8 players overall drafted on that team. But you're right, talent does always mean "best", so I should have said talented.

That being said, the 2015 team is the flat out BEST team to never win a championship IMO. Saying that they would just make the top 10 is a little crazy.
Not for Nish ;)

Oh there's more Duke failures and unfortunate circumstances:

1994: not closing out on Scotty Thurman with the title game tied 70-70 with a minute to go

2011: blowing a double digit lead to Arizona in the 2nd half

2013: ending up in Louisville's region and Kevin Ware's gruesome injury changing the complete complexion of the game

K's due for some good tournament luck to close out his storied career in my opinion as he should have 4-5 more Final 4s and 2-3 more Titles.

He's the GOAT but he's probably been more unlucky than not, hard to even fathom.

What about (off the top of my head):
  • Laetner not missing a single shot and hitting the dagger in 1992
  • 1991 Larry Johnson missing a FT with under a minute left (and Anthony fouling out)
  • 2001 the Maryland FF game
  • 2004 close game against Xavier, who shot like hot ass juice from 3
  • 2010 close game against Baylor; IIRC it was tied with like 2 minutes left
  • 2010 Butler
That's not even looking at pre-1991 as that was before my time, but I'm 99% sure that Duke had multiple wins by a single possession in those FF runs. Are those you listed missed opportunities? Sure. But it's not at all accurate to claim that "he should have 4-5 more Final 4s and 2-3 more Titles" without looking at games that came out the other way.

What about (off the top of my head):
  • Laetner not missing a single shot and hitting the dagger in 1992
  • 1991 Larry Johnson missing a FT with under a minute left (and Anthony fouling out)
  • 2001 the Maryland FF game
  • 2004 close game against Xavier, who shot like hot ass juice from 3
  • 2010 close game against Baylor; IIRC it was tied with like 2 minutes left
  • 2010 Butler
That's not even looking at pre-1991 as that was before my time, but I'm 99% sure that Duke had multiple wins by a single possession in those FF runs. Are those you listed missed opportunities? Sure. But it's not at all accurate to claim that "he should have 4-5 more Final 4s and 2-3 more Titles" without looking at games that came out the other way.

2001 Maryland Duke FF game was not a single possession win for Duke.

none of these are worse than what happened to DePaul in 1981.

didn't DePaul lose early as the #1 seed 2 years in a row? It also seems that they then went on to play in the NIT after being eliminated from the NCAA...can that possibly be correct?

The date of Saturday, March 14, 1981, resulted in three major second round tournament upsets which were decided by last-second baskets.

St. Joseph's trailed No. 1 seed DePaul by seven at about the midway point of the second half, in an early afternoon Mideast Region game from Dayton, Ohio. However, with 48 seconds left, the Hawks had rallied to within 48–47. Blue Demons guard Skip Dillard was fouled with 13 seconds left. Dillard was known as 'Money' for his superb free throw shooting, but he missed the front end of a one-and-one opportunity, and St. Joseph's got the rebound, then quickly passed the ball to the front court without calling a timeout. Guard Bryan Warrick got the ball to freshman Lonnie McFarlan who was wide open in the right corner. McFarlan began to shoot until forward John Smith yelled "Please!" to him. McFarlan passed to Smith, who was open underneath the basket. Smith's layup with two seconds left enabled the Hawks of coach Jim Lynam to stun the Blue Demons of Ray Meyer, 49–48.

Later in the afternoon in Austin, Texas, Arkansas coach Eddie Sutton called timeout with 5 seconds left after falling behind Louisville in the Midwest Region, 73–72 on a jumper by guard Derek Smith. Sutton told his team to get the ball to U.S. Reed. The Razorbacks' guard dribbled to near half court, then launched a 49-foot shot that beat the buzzer and swished through the net, as Arkansas dethroned the defending national champion Cardinals of Denny Crum, 74–73. Sutton told the media, "Champions die hard."

Only moments after the Razorbacks' upset, the season ended for another #1 seed in the West Region in Los Angeles. Oregon State led Kansas State by as much as 11 points in the second half. Coach Ralph Miller and center Steve Johnson had led the Beavers to a two-year record of 52–4. Then Rolando Blackman led the Wildcats back with a 16-6 run to tie the game, 48–48 with 3:23 left. Johnson then fouled out, and both teams stalled with the ball until Oregon State missed the front end of a one-and-one from the foul line. K-State then held for the last shot. With two seconds left, Blackman, double-teamed, drilled a fall-away 17 footer from the right baseline for a 50–48 upset by the Wildcats of Jack Hartman.

In another second round Mideast Region upset, UAB defeated Kentucky 69–62. A semifinal in the East Region saw Danny Ainge dribble the length of the court and drive all the way in for a layup and another buzzer-beating winner, lifting BYU over Notre Dame 51–50.

Greg Johnson of NCAA.com, in a March 9, 2011 article, indicated that March 14, 1981 was a date which defined March Madness

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

Not Phi Slama Jama? Two future HOFers and two other NBA players losing at the buzzer to a Cinderella in the Final I think is a combo of talent and heartbreak that is unparalleled. 2015 UK almost went undefeated, but the SEC was down, they lost in the semis to the eventual runner up, and eeked by ND in the Elite 8 exposing weaknesses, and other than KAT there is no next level star power that approaches Drexler and Olajuwon and KAT is not a lock for the HOF either.

They definitely are up there in terms of best non champ, but I don't think best.

replying to myself...odd...

didn't DePaul lose early as the #1 seed 2 years in a row? It also seems that they then went on to play in the NIT after being eliminated from the NCAA...can that possibly be correct?

so my recollection was wrong of course...but there is a lot of interesting stuff with that early 80's Depaul team...#1 seed in 1980, 81 & 82...lost in the second round each year...Lost in the NIT champ game in '83 and then back to a #1 seed in the ncaa in 84.

Not Phi Slama Jama? Two future HOFers and two other NBA players losing at the buzzer to a Cinderella in the Final I think is a combo of talent and heartbreak that is unparalleled. 2015 UK almost went undefeated, but the SEC was down, they lost in the semis to the eventual runner up, and eeked by ND in the Elite 8 exposing weaknesses, and other than KAT there is no next level star power that approaches Drexler and Olajuwon and KAT is not a lock for the HOF either.

They definitely are up there in terms of best non champ, but I don't think best.

That Houston team was great, obviously. Those 2 guys are legends.

But if my math is right, that team had 4 future NBA players.

2015 UK had 9 NBA players, and 2 more that played in the G-League.

Also, I'd say KAT and Devin Booker both have a shot at HOF eventually.

The numbers that Devin Booker have been putting up are ridiculous. One of the best SGs in the league already without a doubt, and he's only 22.
- 3rd youngest player to score 4,000 career points (LeBron, KD).
- Youngest player to ever score 60 in a game, when he scored 70 against the Boston Celtics.

It's the combination of NBA talent AND NBA level depth that made that team spectacular, not the top-end talent like on Phi Slama Jamma.

How about Arizona blowing a 15 point lead with 4 minutes left in the 05 Regional Final against Illinois? That should never, ever happen to any team.

Iowa State vs Michigan State in the 2000 Midwest Regional Final is another game that comes to mind. ISU was up by a point with less than 4 minutes left and Paul Shirley made a basket and was fouled. But for some odd reason, they called a double foul which negated the whole play (and 3-point opportunity). This could have put ISU up by 4 points. ISU got the ball back, but they didn't score. MSU scores on its next possession and goes up by 1. Huge, huge momentum swing.

The Pittsburgh/Butler late fouls at the end of the 2011 2nd round game were crazy. Never seen anything like that before. I mean, two fouls more than 50 feet away from the basket with 2 seconds left in the game. Crazy, crazy. That Pitt team was good enough for a Final Four, possibly even a national title.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
The Pittsburgh/Butler late fouls at the end of the 2011 2nd round game were crazy. Never seen anything like that before. I mean, two fouls more than 50 feet away from the basket with 2 seconds left in the game. Crazy, crazy. That Pitt team was good enough for a Final Four, possibly even a national title.

I'll never forget that ending. BRUTAL. One was on a FT cutout, right? Unbelievable

Reactions: dukedevilz
Choking vs Cuse in the Elite 8 in 2016. Does Malachi Richardson even play basketball anymore?

I saw Malachi's G League team at the Indy airport like a month ago. He got traded and waived a week later I think.

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT