ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE Missed Opportunities

replying to myself...odd...

didn't DePaul lose early as the #1 seed 2 years in a row? It also seems that they then went on to play in the NIT after being eliminated from the NCAA...can that possibly be correct?

so my recollection was wrong of course...but there is a lot of interesting stuff with that early 80's Depaul team...#1 seed in 1980, 81 & 82...lost in the second round each year...Lost in the NIT champ game in '83 and then back to a #1 seed in the ncaa in 84.

DePaul was clearly one of the premiere chokers in NCAA tournament history. They rank up there with Missouri.

Can I count the garbage charge call against Brandon Triche in that Michigan F4 game?

I'm counting it.

2001 Maryland Duke FF game was not a single possession win for Duke.

Right, but wasn't there a controversial 5th foul call on Lonnie Baxter that could have been Boozer's fifth that helped swing the game late? I'm aware that Duke pulled away after that.

Right, but wasn't there a controversial 5th foul call on Lonnie Baxter that could have been Boozer's fifth that helped swing the game late? I'm aware that Duke pulled away after that.

Maryland blew a 22 point lead. Did the refs help Duke a little, probably. But it didn’t come down to one call swinging the game in either direction. If you put the game in the ref’s hands against Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, etc then you deserve to lose.

Reactions: tw3301
That Houston team was great, obviously. Those 2 guys are legends.

But if my math is right, that team had 4 future NBA players.

2015 UK had 9 NBA players, and 2 more that played in the G-League.

Also, I'd say KAT and Devin Booker both have a shot at HOF eventually.

The numbers that Devin Booker have been putting up are ridiculous. One of the best SGs in the league already without a doubt, and he's only 22.
- 3rd youngest player to score 4,000 career points (LeBron, KD).
- Youngest player to ever score 60 in a game, when he scored 70 against the Boston Celtics.

It's the combination of NBA talent AND NBA level depth that made that team spectacular, not the top-end talent like on Phi Slama Jamma.

The NBA only had 23 teams back then so there were 105 fewer roster spots. Im not well versed on Phi Slama Jama so I don't know if the other guys would have made rosters in a 30 team NBA, but that should be considered. As for Booker, hes 22, projecting HOF when he hasn't made an ASG yet is projecting a lot, hes a great up and coming player for sure but lets wait until hes a little closer.

Reactions: ceilo77
Maryland blew a 22 point lead. Did the refs help Duke a little, probably. But it didn’t come down to one call swinging the game in either direction. If you put the game in the ref’s hands against Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, etc then you deserve to lose.

Who cares if Maryland "deserve(d) to lose?" The issue is whether it was a game that could have come out differently, not whether Maryland displeased the basketball gods by daring to have and lose a 22 point lead.

But I'll concede that Maryland committed the egregious sin of "put(ting) the same in the ref's hands" and reformulate: what if Maryland had sacrificed the requisite number of goats to satisfy the basketball gods such that the 2001 Final Four game against Duke, which was close late, went the other way? I'm fresh out of entrails myself, but when I come into some I'll dig through them to see what they say.

the 2003 KU team that lost to Syracuse (while hitting 12-30 FTs) also had a fringe All-American get hurt (Wayne Simien) mid season and Gerry Fing McNamara hit like 6/7 guarded 3's. We still only lost by 3 which is remarkable considering the FTs and all.

IMO, 2010, 2011, and 1997 KU teams are all the best or second best teams in those respective years and they didn't even get a Final Four out of it.

2016 KU - foul trouble killed us against Nova.

2017 KU - foul trouble killed us against Oregon and freshman Udoka got hurt mid season - he would have really helped in that game.

2013 KU trying to run out the clock vs Michigan had a 8 second long 10 second call in the final minute that helped Michigan tie it.

The NBA only had 23 teams back then so there were 105 fewer roster spots. Im not well versed on Phi Slama Jama so I don't know if the other guys would have made rosters in a 30 team NBA, but that should be considered. As for Booker, hes 22, projecting HOF when he hasn't made an ASG yet is projecting a lot, hes a great up and coming player for sure but lets wait until hes a little closer.

Ehhh I don't value ASGs. Between the fan voting and politics of it (like D-Wade and Dirk both getting selected this year for instance. etc. That kind of stuff happens every single year that takes away spots from actual deserving players). I just look at numbers and accomplishments, and Booker is crushing it in both regards.

Nor am I really projecting that he'll make it. Just that they both have a heck of an opportunity to do so if their careers stay how they are going.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Who cares if Maryland "deserve(d) to lose?" The issue is whether it was a game that could have come out differently, not whether Maryland displeased the basketball gods by daring to have and lose a 22 point lead.

But I'll concede that Maryland committed the egregious sin of "put(ting) the same in the ref's hands" and reformulate: what if Maryland had sacrificed the requisite number of goats to satisfy the basketball gods such that the 2001 Final Four game against Duke, which was close late, went the other way? I'm fresh out of entrails myself, but when I come into some I'll dig through them to see what they say.

1. No avatar [✔️]
2. Post to likes [✔️]
3. Big Blue Nation in handle [✔️]
4. More upset about Maryland “getting dicked by the refs” against Duke then an actual Maryland fan because he’s obsessed with Duke [✔️]

Winner:
tenor2.gif

1. No avatar [✔️]
2. Post to likes [✔️]
4. More upset about Maryland “getting dicked by the refs” against Duke then an actual Maryland fan because he’s obsessed with Duke [✔️]

Winner:
tenor2.gif

Hey, we can't all be so popular to have a 10-7 Like to Post ratio ;)

1. No avatar [✔️]
2. Post to likes [✔️]

Winner:
tenor2.gif

1. Who cares about an avatar (except for people who claim their avatar is their wife)?
  2. I know you probably don't know this since you joined in 2016, but "likes" weren't a thing until the last few years. Posts, however, were.
  3. I could nitpick you for being inaccurate here, but who even cares about a handle?
  4. I never said "getting dicked by the refs." Do you know how quotes work? I don't think that you know how quotes work. That's about, what, 6th grade level knowledge? And there's nothing in my comments from which a reasonable person could conclude that I am butthurt about that game.
0/4. Talk about ratios!

1. Who cares about an avatar (except for people who claim their avatar is their wife)?
  2. I know you probably don't know this since you joined in 2016, but "likes" weren't a thing until the last few years. Posts, however, were.
  3. I could nitpick you for being inaccurate here, but who even cares about a handle?
  4. I never said "getting dicked by the refs." Do you know how quotes work? I don't think that you know how quotes work. That's about, what, 6th grade level knowledge? And there's nothing in my comments from which a reasonable person could conclude that I am butthurt about that game.
0/4. Talk about ratios!

I’ll give you #2, everything else stands as is.

ADVERTISEMENT