ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Gonzaga team?

Jul 6, 2007
Doing the tourney dirty like ‘96 UK and ‘09 Carolina. Are they on that level?

Reactions: ozfrog
Think they need to win by 33 to pass UK for margin of victory all time (in 6 game tournament) and 26 to get Carolina. Carolina won by no less than 12 the entire way. Zags good there for now and favored by 14 in FF. They are dominating.

If they meet Baylor it’s gonna be a war. Their guards are better than Gonzaga’s but Gonzaga is better up front. As of now you can’t take anything away from them, they’re an outstanding team.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
People keep on knocking the talent level of Gonzaga when comparing all time teams. But have y’all checked out the mock drafts lately?

Suggs is going top 3 and Kispert is a lottery pick. Even Ayayi is in a lot as a late first rounder. Compliment that with the fact that Timme may not be a great pro, but he is a dominant college player. This team has a lot of NBA talent on it.

A 1st team AA and 2 2nd team AA's. Phenomenal starting lineup that plays extremely well together. Bench depth is an issue if they get in foul trouble.

I mean.... are we sure their guards are better?
I mean.... are we sure their guards are better?

I think they are the best back court in college basketball. Mitchell, Teague and Butler can shoot and they can D you up. Suggs is good without question but he’s going to have play some serious defense if the play Baylor.

I think they are the best back court in college basketball. Mitchell, Teague and Butler can shoot and they can D you up. Suggs is good without question but he’s going to have play some serious defense if the play Baylor.
He should have won DPOY in his conference.

Here are the top 25 KenPom teams of all-time (20th season). This Gonzaga team is evidently okay.

Top25-Ken-Pom-All-Time.png

Here are the top 25 KenPom teams of all-time (20th season). This Gonzaga team is evidently okay.

Top25-Ken-Pom-All-Time.png

Don't quote me on this but I think UVA"s efficiency margin actually went down during the tournament. We played some of our worst basketball of the season during the tourney and still won the natty. That's why some of the games were so close.

Don't quote me on this but I think UVA"s efficiency margin actually went down during the tournament. We played some of our worst basketball of the season during the tourney and still won the natty. That's why some of the games were so close.

It was 35.65 before the tournament. So yes, you guys blew your opportunity to catch Kentucky.

Thought this stat was kind of interesting/crazy. Duke and Virginia both played 38 games in 2019 - and Duke had 467 more possessions. That's the equivalent of 7-8 games for UVA.

• Haha
Reactions: tw3301 and jhmossy
And no one really believes Gonzaga is better than any of these teams.
Unless they actually played, no one has any idea of what you say. You have your opinion, but not like it is a fact or anything.

Competition made all of them look more dominant than they really were, other than 07 Florida.
Kentucky played the final four teams like 6 times in our title year. Not sure what you’re talking about. The three teams being talked about all faced better competition than Gonzaga this year.

Kentucky played the final four teams like 6 times in our title year. Not sure what you’re talking about. The three teams being talked about all faced better competition than Gonzaga this year.

We're giving opinions, right?

My opinion is that 09 UNC wasn't as dominant as they looked relative to the field. Kenpom would seem to back that up. Same for 2012 Kentucky. They didn't exactly face a gauntlet that year.

I think this Gonzaga team looks more dominant than they would in many years past, but I think they're better than either of those teams.

My opinion is that 09 UNC wasn't as dominant as they looked relative to the field. Kenpom would seem to back that up. Same for 2012 Kentucky. They didn't exactly face a gauntlet that year.
Yep. The SEC in 2012 had 4 KenPom top 6 teams and only 4 teams go dancing. That's ludicrous.

UK did play 4 KenPom top 20 teams in the non-con tho. Interestingly, the beat 3 of the 4 again on their way to the Championship.

Last mid major team to win the NC in mens hoops. 1990 UNLV (Big West Conference).
I think Gonzaga is next (West Coast Conference).

I don't care what conference they play in, but they have been dominate for years. This is probably their yr.

Reactions: duckboy33
Last mid major team to win the NC in mens hoops. 1990 UNLV (Big West Conference).
I think Gonzaga is next (West Coast Conference).

I don't care what conference they play in, but they have been dominate for years. This is probably their yr.

Good seeing you oz

I think we are all forgetting how good Baylor is. This team was going to be a 1 seed LAST year before the pandemic. Then they returned basically everybody and are in the Final 4 this year. Even if Gonzaga beats them easily, I still think that Baylor is really really good.

They are good but it's a watered down era. They have no shot blocking no real tough guys down low... and really there is nobody in today's game getting dirty if they ran into a team with a Kenyon Martin mindset who knows how they'd react.

These guys have a nice free flowing offense their guys are no doubt skilled the shooting %'s are thru the roof...but I question how they'd handle getting knocked around. Nobody does that these days. Instead of wanting to compete guys just want to transfer, if you can't beat 'em join 'em!

RollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT